PDA

View Full Version : more brass??

03-15-2007, 06:12 AM
fop advised next test for promotions will provide openings for 18 sgts and 7 lieutenants (approximately). as of today, does anyone know the actual breakdown of sworn officers, sgts, and lts?
ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!!!!!! as of now we have so/too many supervisors. few years ago we were 1 sgt to 4-5 ofcs!!! manpower hasn't changed, barely making it, but have been promoting. sure we lose some to retirement but not matching the rate to promotions.
Just because morons at city hall authorize x amount of strings and margarine bars doesn't mean we have to fill them. for years the PD have been crying about man power shortage but we still promote.
FOR THE GOOD OF THE ORDER WHY NOT HIRE MORE TO COVER THE STREET CALLS. GIVE THE CITIZENS WHAT THEY DESERVE. DO YOU BELIEVE WE ARE INCOMPETANT TO NEED 1 SGT FOR 3-4 OFC'S? (ON AVERAGE TO COME?)

WE ARE SUPPOSE TO BE A BENCHMARK OF WHAT???? PLEASE NEW CHIEF TO BE, TRASH THAT BS SLOGAN WHEN YOU ARE MADE!!!!!

03-15-2007, 09:39 AM
Mr. Missing....as far as hiring new people, take the time to actually wake up after you leave roll call and look around at all the new people. Within the last year, over 30 new officers have been hired. The backgrounds unit has been busting their arses hiring people and there are 2 new active hiring lists. If you are wondering why people are getting promoted, IT IS because people are leaving. Once a Sgt and up retires, they have to fill that slot. If you are upset because passing a SGT's test is not something that you are capable of doing, don't try to stop others from trying to earn a better living for their families.

I am so glad that you are SOOOOOO concerned for the citizens of Miami Beach that you want more people to answer street calls. I have an idea though....instead of hiring more cops to answer street calls, use your VAST experience to mentor the officers that we do have, and teach them not to sluff/milk the callls they are getting in the first place.

Do I think we need more supervisors...yeap! Cops like you still work/whine here...thats why.

03-15-2007, 03:53 PM
the aggitated guy must be a breach bred guy holding a supervisor's position. (most, not all, are not supervisors less leaders). obviously he doesn't know any better than lil old miami beach and thinks this is way it should be. pity on you.
go ahead and say it clueless sheep, "if you don't like it leave"-good response? no it's the hide your head in the sand and hide when you know there is a problem. "take the test and make a difference or see how hard it is"-please do not insult me! you think taking a test is anyting? that is the fall back excuse for most supposed supervisors. it was your decision to promote. if you can't handle it come back to patrol.
-yes i have seen rollcall-embarrasing at times to see the wall of shame compared to seated officers. if you think we need on average 1 sgt to 4-5 ofcs you are already brainwashed into keeping the position because city hall let you have it, or YOU ARE A BEACH BRED PERSON THINKING THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE-IGNORANCE IS BLISS. you just proved by your ignorant comment about stopping others from earning a better living-THE PROBLEM IS JUST THAT-YOU CLOWNS ARE PROMOTING FOR FINANCIAL REASONS RATHER THAN BEING A SUPERVISOR/LEADER.
I HAVE USED MY VAST EXPERIENCE AND MENTORED MANY OF SENIOR OFFICERS AS WELL AS NEW OFFICERS. I AM ALWAYS AVAILABLE FOR ANYONE. AND THAT IS THE GOD'S HONEST TRUTH. SO THE NUMEROUS CALLS I GET OFF AND OFF DUTY BY SENIOR OFFICERS AS WELL AND AS SAD FROM NEW GUYS, INSTEAD OF CALLING THEIR FTO'S, PROVES MY DEDICATION TO LAW ENFORCEMENT AND SELLING OUT TO THE SYSTEM IS NOT MY MENTALITY.
DO I THINK WE NEED MORE SUPERVISORS...NO! AND COPS LIKE ME WHO STILL DO WORK HERE AND SEE THE IGNORANCE AND EXCUSES, WHEN MAKE TRUTHFUL STATEMENTS ARE QUICKLY LABELED A COMPLAINER OR WHINER.
FYI, NOT BY MY CHOICE, I HAVE BEEN BROUGHT UP TO CHIEFS OFFICE, A CAPT.,3 LT'S, AND NUMEROUS SGTS ABOUT NUMEROUS CONCERNS. I HAVE TOLD THEM EXACTLY WHAT HAS BEEN SAID HERE AND NUMEROUS NUMEROUS MORE, AND GUESS WHAT? THEY ALL AGREE WITH MY BELIEFS, NOT ONE SAID I WAS WRONG, BUT IN A ROUND ABOUT WAY ADVISED IT WASN'T A MIAMI BEACH WAY OF THINKING.
SO IF YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO EDUCATE YOU ON WHAT A MICKEY MOUSE POLICE DEPT. THIS IS DUE TO THE WAY IT IS RUN I WOULD BE HAPPY TO. I HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE AND NOTHING TO LOSE. LIKE I SAID, I WILL SAY THE SAME THING TO YOU I HAVE SAID TO CAPT'S DOWN TO SGTS. INTERESTED?

03-15-2007, 05:37 PM
So how about using your name tough guy?

03-16-2007, 04:24 AM
not about being a tough guy....
about being a realist...
look at the big picture...if that is possible...
are you imature or ignorant and want to fight?
i fight my own battles with administration and will never back down from what is right...
all the brass from chief on down to sgt on 3rd shift know of situation...

03-16-2007, 05:58 AM
There are no more Sergeants than there were before. If you don't believe that, ask any of the officers who are on the Sgt's list right now. They have a list of people retiring to see if they will be able to get promoted. Not a single promotion has taken place without a retirement. Further, manpower is not the same as it was a few years ago, it only looks the same. There are officers now assigned to 4th shift and to RDA as well as more in marine patrol. The staffing for the regular 3 shifts in patrol stays the same, but more people are out there than there has ever been. Could it be better? That is apparently your position, but don't think that everything is exactly as it always was just because your shift's minimum staffing numbers are the same. You cant count one without counting RDA and everyone else mentioned above. The problem is not promotions. Policy says that there is supposed to be a 6-1 ratio of officers per Sgt. If you don't like that policy, then try to change it. But in the mean time, don't go knocking people for being ambitious and taking tests to be promoted. That is the only requirement and it is the same for everyone. Sometimes there are those whose motivation is only financial, but they are bound by the same rules as everyone else. The playing field is exactly the same for everyone. Even you can get promoted if you pass the test. Focus your frustrations on things you can change, you'll feel alot better. And the best way to ensure that you can effectuate change is to get promoted and be one of the leaders of this Department. You have the same opportunity as everyone else. I'm sure they can find a desk for you on the second floor.

03-18-2007, 12:34 AM
There are no more Sergeants than there were before. If you don't believe that, ask any of the officers who are on the Sgt's list right now. They have a list of people retiring to see if they will be able to get promoted. Not a single promotion has taken place without a retirement. Further, manpower is not the same as it was a few years ago, it only looks the same. There are officers now assigned to 4th shift and to RDA as well as more in marine patrol. The staffing for the regular 3 shifts in patrol stays the same, but more people are out there than there has ever been. Could it be better? That is apparently your position, but don't think that everything is exactly as it always was just because your shift's minimum staffing numbers are the same. You cant count one without counting RDA and everyone else mentioned above. The problem is not promotions. Policy says that there is supposed to be a 6-1 ratio of officers per Sgt. If you don't like that policy, then try to change it. But in the mean time, don't go knocking people for being ambitious and taking tests to be promoted. That is the only requirement and it is the same for everyone. Sometimes there are those whose motivation is only financial, but they are bound by the same rules as everyone else. The playing field is exactly the same for everyone. Even you can get promoted if you pass the test. Focus your frustrations on things you can change, you'll feel alot better. And the best way to ensure that you can effectuate change is to get promoted and be one of the leaders of this Department. You have the same opportunity as everyone else. I'm sure they can find a desk for you on the second floor.
please please do not insult me by implying to effectuate a change is by promoting. thay was placed in my last evaluation, should take test to promote ref would be a great supervisor, i asked sgt to take that out because it was insulting. if you haven't noticed, at least on 3rd shift, most sgt's are puppets. it has been brought up and told to them in front of many. they either shake their heads, laugh it off, or say," stop complaining, or just play the game". it has been brought up to lt's and capt's. and their responses are, cluelesness or our hands are tied.
so please do not TRY and belittle me by advising even "I" can get promoted, because at this point i do not want to...i know the playing field is equal and that a test is all it requires to promote....
supervisors? not most. they are people that past a test and occupy a supervisor's position. leaders? no. leaders lead by example. not do as i say not as i do. ALL OF THIS HAS BEEN DISCUSSED WITH ALMOST ALL SUPERVISORS I KNOW AND THEY ALL AGREE BUT SHRUG IT OFF FALLING BACK ON OUR HANDS ARE TIED, LOOK HOW MUCH MONEY WE MAKE, JUST PLAY THE GAME.....PROMOTE TO A SUPERVISOR TO MAKE CHANGE? NO...HOW ABOUT THE SUPERVISORS THAT WE HAVE NOW TAKE THE "GOOD, QUALIFIED, COMPLAINTS/IDEAS FROM RANK AND FILE AND BE A LEADER AND THEY MAKE A CHANGE SINCE YOU SAY THE BEST WAY TO EFFECTUATE CHANGE IS PROMOTING....

03-18-2007, 12:34 AM
please please do not insult me by implying to effectuate a change is by promoting. thay was placed in my last evaluation, should take test to promote ref would be a great supervisor, i asked sgt to take that out because it was insulting. if you haven't noticed, at least on 3rd shift, most sgt's are puppets. it has been brought up and told to them in front of many. they either shake their heads, laugh it off, or say," stop complaining, or just play the game". it has been brought up to lt's and capt's. and their responses are, cluelesness or our hands are tied.
so please do not TRY and belittle me by advising even "I" can get promoted, because at this point i do not want to...i know the playing field is equal and that a test is all it requires to promote....
supervisors? not most. they are people that past a test and occupy a supervisor's position. leaders? no. leaders lead by example. not do as i say not as i do. ALL OF THIS HAS BEEN DISCUSSED WITH ALMOST ALL SUPERVISORS I KNOW AND THEY ALL AGREE BUT SHRUG IT OFF FALLING BACK ON OUR HANDS ARE TIED, LOOK HOW MUCH MONEY WE MAKE, JUST PLAY THE GAME.....PROMOTE TO A SUPERVISOR TO MAKE CHANGE? NO...HOW ABOUT THE SUPERVISORS THAT WE HAVE NOW TAKE THE "GOOD, QUALIFIED, COMPLAINTS/IDEAS FROM RANK AND FILE AND BE A LEADER AND THEY MAKE A CHANGE SINCE YOU SAY THE BEST WAY TO EFFECTUATE CHANGE IS PROMOTING....

03-18-2007, 05:42 AM
Ok, so don't take my suggestion and continue to whine like a crybaby for the rest of your career while others get promoted, get promoted again, and then end up running this department in 5-10 years. It's your choice. What is it exactly that you are upset about anyway? First you said there were too many supervisors and no change in patrol staffing. That is obviously wrong. Now you say you don't like the quality of the supervisors. Which one is it? And also tell us how you would make promotions fair by adding your leadership qualities. It seems to me that if you add any qualitative measure to the process, it leads to favoritism and cronyism. I'm open to hear how you would do it. I agree with you in principal that there is no leadership component to the promotional process, but I have yet to see any fair way to include one. The decision-makers would just give a 10 to the people they like and a 0 to those they don't. Your ideas, although idealistic, are not pragmatic. The system in place is the only way to ensure fairness across the board. You should not make generalizations either, it makes your arguments lose credibility. What do you mean when you say most of the Sgt.'s are "puppets?" Puppets of whom? What is it they are "puppets" about? Orders from the Chief? Aren't we all puppets of that? Please explain further.

03-18-2007, 06:05 AM
please please do not insult me by implying to effectuate a change is by promoting. thay was placed in my last evaluation, should take test to promote ref would be a great supervisor, i asked sgt to take that out because it was insulting.

What I said was that you should get promoted so that you are in a position to effectuate change. It is the leaders of the department who are the ones who change things. Surely you agree with me on that. By getting yourself promoted, you will be one of those leaders and decision-makers who can get involved in making whatever changes you think are necessary. And if you got insulted by someone saying that you would make a great supervisor, then your issues run deeper than you might think. That is actually one of the greatest compliments anyone can give you.

03-19-2007, 01:09 AM
"Leaders are born not promoted" we as a department are not unique to having people in the ranks that shouldn't be there, however just getting promoted doesn't mean that you are going to effect any change at all. Officers are just as qualified leaders as the guys that wear rank and fail us on a regular basis.

03-19-2007, 05:55 AM
The point I am trying to make is that an officer is rarely in a position to change ANYTHING. Supervisors DO have the ability to change some things and the higher up you go the more things you can change. SOOOOO...by getting yourself promoted, you put yourself in a position to make changes. Is that so hard to understand? I'm not saying anything about supervisors being "natural-born leaders," or about who should and who shouldn't be promoted. I'm saying that supervisors are the ones who make changes, not rank and file.

03-20-2007, 04:46 PM
The reason the rank and file don't effect change is because this place is full of one way, selfish jerks! And our union stinks!

03-21-2007, 07:15 AM
SO WHAT YOUR SAYING CAPT. IS THAT ALL SUPERVISORS ON 3RD SHIFT THAT SAY THEIR HANDS ARE TIED ARE FULL OF B/S? THEY AAALLLL SAY PLAY THE GAME, STOP WHINING, MAKE UP STATS....THINK I'M LYING?????
WHEN WE HAD POST ROLLCALL MEETINGS, WE WERE TOLD; YOU GUYS-OFFICERS, CAN MAKE A CHANGE IF STICK TOGETHER. WHAT FREKING SUPERVISOR HAS EFFECTED A CHANGE?! THEY ALL KNOW OF THE PROBLEMS AND LAUGH ABOUT IT REPLYING BY MAKING JOKES!!!
****THIS THE TRUTH****THERE IS NO REASON TO MAKE THIS UP!!!!

03-21-2007, 07:42 PM
First off, I am not a Captain. You ASSume too much. Also, FYI, it's going to take an order from someone higher up to change the overlap. Do you think that order is going to come from an officer or a supervisor? That is exaclty my point here. In order to be in a position to change things, You have to be in a position to be in the meetings, speak your mind, come to an agreement and to give the orders. No officer is going to change things by themselves. Collectively we have the power to make our feelings and our wishes known, but the orders and directives comes from above. That is my whole point.

03-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Sory for the assumption. And all i'm saying is the afternoon brass from all sgts and lts say change is needed, this is the way it has been and will be, and just play the game. How far up the chain do you have to go to make ANY change then?
[/b]

03-22-2007, 11:50 AM
If what you want to change is the overlap? Then you have to promote up to the rank of City Manager... That is where the directive comes from. If you want to change the fact that we don't have goatees then you have to become chief. If you want to change the citizen contacts then again aspire to be City manager. There you have it a lot of things we will not change. that is where the old saying comes into play. Lord, Grant me the serenity to accept the things that I can't change, the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference.

Now Mr. City Manager, we hear that you read this,, so how about a little reprieve. THE OVERLAP IS STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03-26-2007, 12:00 AM
guest 31, you have got to be one of the biggest morons on the department. leaders are made they aren't born??????????? if that isn't one of the biggest cop outs i've ever heard... and no, you are not as equally qualified to be a supervisor as those with stripes or bars. take the test and PASS dumb arse!

03-26-2007, 05:51 PM
Well guest 32 you really told me! I guess that natural ability to lead is a bunch of crap! You must be one of those guys that just gets promoted for the bigger paycheck, not to actually supervise/lead the troops. I sit corrected because you are not deserving enough to stand for. Further more the management must relish in this stuff because this is a perfect example of the lack cohesion between the troops/first line supervisors that prevents any change. As individuals fight or bicker the ability to work togather breaks down and there is no strength in the number one. Thanks for wearing your knee pads guest 32!

03-26-2007, 11:39 PM
Great post 31! 32 you and the like minded are the reason for the LOW MORALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03-27-2007, 10:21 AM
SO WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO TO IMPROVE MORALE? EITHER ONE OF YOU.
STOP CRYING AND IMPROVE MORALE LETS FIX THIS BROKEN SHIP!
WHAT WOULD YOU DO TO FIX IT
SUGGESTIONS? :?:

03-27-2007, 04:42 PM
MOST BRASS TRANSLATE CRITISIZING AS CRYING AND OR COMPLAINING. IT MUST COME WITH SILLY SGT. STRINGS OR MARGARINE BANDS....
AS A SUPERVISOR TO MAKE CANGE?
-STAND UP TO LT'S OR CAPT'S. IF A OFFICER DOESN'T GIVE YOU STATS YOU NEED, TELL THEM THE TRUTH. EITHER THEY WERE TOO BUSY 1-2 DAYS, FORGOT, ETC. OR THEY JUST DON'T CARE.
-LT'S, OR I SHOULD CLARIFY LT., WHEN ROLLCALL SGT ASKS YOU IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING, AND YOU SAY NO, STICK WITH THAT. BUT EVERYDAY YOU SAY NO, BUT UM UM,"THANK YOU FOR THE EFFORT ON OVERLAP". DON'T YOU HEAR THE SNICKERS, GRUMBLINGS, OR SEE THE DISGUST IN THE TROOPS FACES? WE GIVE YOU THE BOGUS NUMBERS BECAUSE YOU CLOWNS BENT OVER AND GAVE IN TO CITY MANAGER, SO ENOUGH TELLING US THANKS. IT IS LIKE A KICK IN THE FACE EVERYTIME YOU MENTION IT.
-SGT'S LISTEN TO THE FREKIN RADIO!!! EITHER YOU KNOW, DON'T CARE, OR ARE SCARED TO MAKE A DECISION. IF THERE ARE SLACKERS/ZEROS, TAKE THEM ASIDE AND DEAL WITH THEM.

03-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Very well said new guest! Perhaps if the supervisors were aware of what is going on, and adressed the slackers, things would change a little. Also if there was a little more comraderie amongst the troops there would be better morale, enough with the hating and the tattletailing (or should i say ass kissing!)