PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the job of CSD

03-09-2007, 02:50 PM
How many hours do CSD's work in one shift?
What kind of calls do they respond to?
Do the Certified Deputies respect them for what they do?

oldschool
03-09-2007, 04:43 PM
I am not sure if the CSD's work a 10 or 12 hour shift, because they stagger their schedules a little for more coverage. However, they mostly work daytime into early evening hours. Their scheduling may be a district level issue, so anyone reading this with more detailed information please reply....

They handle almost any type of call where an arrest probably won't be required, and there is no obvious violence related to the call (so no domestics, robberies, kidnappings, sex batts, fights, batteries, etc.) They do a lot of property crime calls, civil calls, vin verifications, traffic crashes, etc. Also, a number of the CSDs are crime scene trained and have the larger crime scene tech kits, so they can respond and process burglary scenes, etc.

Yes, the duputies absolutely respect them, because they work HARD at their jobs and are very professional, carrying an administrative load as great or greater than the deputies. The CSD's are an invaluable asset, and we are the better for having them....

03-09-2007, 08:03 PM
The job is tough. Almost as challenging as dispatch. Not kidding here. I have a fair respect for both of those positions. CSD's respond to just about anything a regular LEO does except in progress crimes. The more training he or she gets, the more they can do. Some of our CSD's have been trained as traffic homicide investigators although they won't ever need that much training it is the opportunity and experience that counts. It is sometimes frustrating though for a younger CSD that would rather be an LEO because along with the citizens that generally respect your position there are also others that will blatantly disregard the law in front of you because they are aware of the difference between LEO and CSD. It's a perfect stepping stone to learn the job without ALL the responsibilities at once. We respect them. They certainly take a good portion of our work load and paperwork. Hours are typcally dayshift and some work 5 days and some work 4, depends on where you are.

Ten8hotel
03-09-2007, 08:06 PM
The last reply was mine. I forgot to log in first but didn't want my response to be anonymous.

03-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Thank you for the wonderful responses!