PDA

View Full Version : Report on Matt Williams/DiOGi Shooting

03-09-2007, 02:15 PM
I read the articles in yesterday's and today's rag, The Ledger. You know, the ones about the investigative findings on Matt's shooting. I'm a little confused and frustrated over this one. For months, many of us have known that, in the midst of that meyley, Matt was also shot by Deputy Speirs. It was supposed to be a big secret. ERT was warned not to acknowledge it under any circumstances. The brass was busy doing damage control before they could come clean about it, and they didn't need any extra problems...like too many of us knowing the truth too soon.
Now they finally do come out with the "findings", and it's so obvious that the spin doctors have been working overtime, that it's not even funny!

To say that Speirs "may have shot Matt in the leg", because he had "two bullet holes in his pants leg" is just a little bit of an understatement. Oh, and what about the shot to his spinal area? Are we supposed to forget that one? If a man is facing his threat, how does he get shot in the back? If Matt was already down on the ground and dead, according to one of Speirs stories, how does he take two in the leg? And why wasn't Speirs able to tell anyone where he left Matt, after he left Matt behind to seek help for himself?

I'm sure Speirs didn't shoot Matt intentionally. But he shot him. He did it because he paniced, and didn't observe his line of fire. He was trying to survive, and his instinct to survive was stronger than his instinct to cover his partner. Part of that responsibility lays with Speirs, but part lays with our agency for not properly training deputies to respond more calmly in life and death scenarios. We spend way too much time in customer service type training, and not nearly enough in street training. This incident proves that. It's too bad it took Matt's death to institute the ALERT training we now have that teaches deputies to run tracks with K9. It should have been a standard training scenario years ago.

Sadly, this newest report doesn't resolve the unanswered questions many of us have about what really happened between Matt, Speirs and Freeland. It only lets us know what we already knew, that Freeland's shooting was justified. As for Deputy Speirs actions, I have many questions that I don't believe will ever be completely satisfied. And if we aren't honest and open about our mistakes, how can we learn from them. We're human. We mess up under pressure. But having been in armed confrontations, and shootings myself, I can promise you that I would never shoot with another cop in my line of fire. I want to survive as much as anyone, but I won't risk hitting another cop to do it. I couldn't live with the consequences. Doug might be a great guy, but I don't want him to back me up on anything. I'm sorry, but that's just how it is.

03-10-2007, 06:36 PM
I agree with you WHOLE heartedly, but I will also go the fact that I will not leave my partner in the woods. I will stand there and defend him/her that is down and cannot properly defend themselves. I would rather die in the line of duty defending another deputy then run and not know where I last left my partner there, dying by himself.

K9 handlers have the option to run and pick who they want to run with them. Im fortunate enough that the handlers trust me. If any of the handlers read this, please know I will not leave you by yourself.

I have nothing against Spiers. And yes, unfortunately it took an incident like this to train us. I wish the S.O the best. They have a lot of ground still yet to cover. What happened with that computer scenario training we once had???? I thought that was great. So many rookies dont understand what we do and think what we do is 'great' when seriously asked what would they do in a situation (s22f) where one party is aggressive.. first thing they say is , ill just shoot them with my gun/bang bang, or ill just tase em, I aint got time for their crap.. i just stand there, like man are you in for a RUDE awakening. I teach the academy, I know this, Ive asked them.

03-10-2007, 10:40 PM
I also completely agree with you on this subject. I'm sure D/S Speirs is a nice guy but I thank god he works on the west side of the county I think I would rather take my chances by self then to know I will have someone like him run away and leave me alone. I sit and think about that situation and still get pissed off.. I along with many others still have a lot of questions that will never be answered. No personal offense to Speirs but knowing what we all know about him, I personally think he needs to consider a new career being a deputy isn’t for him, he has shown us that!!!!!

Granted I have never been a situation like this and pray I never do, but I know with out a doubt I will not leave anyone behind. I too would rather die in the line of duty protecting a brother/sister..

03-11-2007, 12:52 AM
What you said completely reflects what I feel too. If you and I are ever in a firefight, you can bank on the fact that I'll be there right beside you. I won't shoot you, and I won't leave you. Like I said before, I've been in armed confrontations, and in shootings. I can say with confidence and knowledge, that I'd never panic or leave you on your own to face death. Whatever the outcome, we'd see it together.

It's sad, but there are a lot of people who enter this profession, who don't have the character needed for this profession. Just because someone wants to be a cop, doesn't mean they have what it takes. You take that, and put them in the ultimate stress situation without proper training, and you can see what they'll made of. It's scarey to see how many will cut and run. But I can promise you that I never have, and I never will.

No doubt, Speirs is lucky he survived that confrontation with Freeland. But if he'd reacted differently, Matt and DiOGi may have survived too. I can't help but think that plays on his mind. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.
Doing this job is touch enough. It must be really hard, knowing your fellow cops don't trust you. If I knew my crew had no faith in me, I'd have to turn my stuff in, and find a new career.

03-18-2007, 05:01 AM
LIKE MOST PEOPLE I WAS SHOCKED AND DEEPLY DISTURBED BY MATT'S TRAGIC DEATH. MATT WORKED WITH ME AT POLK C.I. PRIOR TO GOING ON THE ROAD. AS MOST OF YOU KNEW HIM, I WILL NOT GO INTO THE TYPE OF MAN HE WAS: YOU KNOW THAT ALREADY.
D. SPEARS ALSO WORKED FOR ME AT POLK C.I. PRIOR TO GOING ON THE ROAD: I KNOW HIM ALSO: I TRIED MY BEST AS HIS SUPERVISOR,TO GET HIM FIRED BECAUSE HE WAS A STONE COWARD THEN, AND A GUN FAILED TO CHANGE THAT DEADLY FLAW. HE WAS BORN A COWARD, LIVED A COWARD, AND MATT WILLIAMS DIED BECAUSE OF IT. I HOPE THE FACTS SURROUNDING MATT'S MURDER ARE BROUGHT TO LIGHT, AND, IF APPROPIATE, CRIMINAL CHARGES ARE BROUGHT AGAINST SPEARS. NOT FOR REVENGE, RATHER FOR THE TRUE JUSTICE MATT DESERVES.
IF THE INVESTIGATION SHOULD CLEAR SPEARS OF ANY WRONG DOING, I WILL RENT SPACE IN THE LEDGER AND WRITE A PUBLIC
APPOLOGY, AND STATE WHOLE HARTEDLY THAT SPEARS MAY NOT BE THE COWARD I THINK HE IS, AND THAT IS JUST MY OPION, WHICH WILL NEVER CHANGE, AS THAT WAS MY OPINION BEFORE MATT'S MURDER, AND IT WILL NOT CHANGE. I SPENT 1968,69,70,& 71 IN VIET NAM: COWARDS HAVE A SMELL ALL THEIR OWN, ANF AFTER SHAVE WILL NOT
MASK IT.

03-18-2007, 05:05 AM
PS.
I HAVE NOT WRITTEN ANYTHING HARE THE I WOULD HESITATE TO TELL THE INDIVIDUAL CONCERNED TO EITHER ONE OF HIS FACES.

AKA me
03-19-2007, 12:30 AM
I gotta agree with SRMUNCH on this one. I too hope ALL the facts surrounding Matt's death are revealed and made public (but we all know that will never happen). It saddens me to think about Matt's last moments...fighting the good fight while all the while his so-called "partner" Doug shooting him from behind in a cowardly attempt to save his own A$$. Another point that is also disturbing to me (there are many) is the thought that ANYONE would classify Doug as a HERO!! He did nothing heroic...he ran away from the fight. He lost Matt. Its clear that is what happened. Listen to the dispatch tape!! Also, this whole thing about Doug being featured on America's Most Wanted website as a contestant for the "ALL-STAR for WEEK 4" (check it out yourself) makes me want to puke. The article on that site said Doug played an integral role in the deputies finding Matt. BS!!! How could that be when we didn't find Matt for nearly an hour after he was shot!! All the while, Doug was taking a cozy trip to the hospital to get his so-called "wound" taken care of. The most appauling thing about Doug being mentioned as a HERO on the AMW website contest is what I found out the other day. Doug has been actually calling around (unknown the number of people he has solicited) and asking people to vote for him....you wanna know why?? Because if he wins, he supposedly will win 10k and a trip. You gotta be FKng kidding me!!!! My friend was gunned down (partially by Doug) and now he is turning this thing into a contest for his own personal gain?!! He is no HERO...and does not deserve any award, recognition, etc as such. That distinction should be reserved for those who TRULY are deserving. Speirs should quit before he gets someone else hurt or killed...because we all know that it is not the lazy cops who get killed...it is the good ones (Doug, you should be safe).

Matt was my friend. I worked with him on shift. We ate together, we socialized off-duty and we trained together. I used to catch Rocky for him and was there the first day he brought DiOGi to work when he was still a puppy...that qualifies me to have the right to voice my opinion about the atrocities surrounding this event. To Matt...I love you my friend. I came to visit you the other night. It was peaceful.

justmyopinion
03-19-2007, 11:49 PM
As I sit here and read these post, I have to agree with everyone! I have so many questions about all this, but I do know one thing for a fact, even tho I am a civilian emp. I would NEVER leave someone in the woods to die alone. I would be there with them fighting the battle, sure it would more than likely cost me my life, but atleast people would know that I was THERE helping my friend. I've listened to the tapes over & over, his story and the tape are just not adding up, and things are being covered up. That is not fair to Matt & DiOGi, they deserve the truth to be told!! And now Speirs has been nominated for AMW All Star Award...OMG...it made me sick! He's no "hero" he is nothing more than a coward that was more worried about his own a$$ than thing else. If he "saw" Matt being shot, why did it take us so long to find him & DiOGi??? To many unanswered questions. All I know is that if I was on the road, and he was my back-up, I'd have to have dispatch cancel him & take my chances on my own. Keep him in front of you, cause you sure don't want him behind ya! Your right, he needs to pack it up & move on before he gets another one of us killed!!
Rest in peace Matt & DiOGi, we love you both!

03-20-2007, 11:37 PM
SPEARS AND I ONCE HAD A CONVERSATION AT P.C.I.: HE ASK ME IF "IF SOMETHING WERE TO JUMP-OFF, DO YOU EVER WONDER WHO WOULD COME TO HELP?" I LOOKED AT HIM AND TOLD THE TRUTH: "YUP!!!
AND YOU ARE AT THE TOP OF THE LIST!" IF ANY ONE OUT THERE SEES SPEARS, RELATE THAT CONVERSATION, AN HE'LL KNOW WHO SAID IT....PERHAPS HE'LL CALL ME AND LET US KNOW THE TRUTH!
NOT HOLDING MY BREATH....
I HAD NOT HEARD ABOUT THE MOST WANTED THING. PERHAPS THOSE OF US WHO KNOW SPEARS FOR WHAT HE IS SHOULD CONTACT THE SHOW AND LET THEM KNOW WHAT WE KNOW..PERHAPS THEY COULD GET TO THE TRUTH!!.
WHILE MATT'S FAMILY HAS SUFFERED MORE THAN ENOUGH, FOR
SPEARS TO BASK IN THE GLORY OF COWARDICE IS ONE THE SAME LEVEL AS HILLORY CALLING MONICA A "LOW-LIFE".
THE ONLY GOOD THING IS MATT IS WITH GOD, AND SPEARS IS HERE........

justmyopinion
03-21-2007, 01:01 AM
Posted on the Ledger

http://forums.theledger.com/eve/forums/ ... 6891088116 (http://forums.theledger.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2631062365/m/6881048116/r/6891088116#6891088116)
After reading this article I cannot bring myself to vote for this man

There are several factors that play on my mind about this award for an All Star Award on America’s Most Wanted for Deputy Speirs. First of all what makes him a candidate. It seems that he left his “brother” in the woods to die alone while he made his way back to safety and be treated for his “wound”. If he was quoted correctly in the article in the Ledger, he saw Mr. Freeland standing over Matt and heard a gunshot. Why didn’t he take action at that point and try to assist the fallen deputy instead of retreating to save himself? Also, in the article it states that Deputy Speirs may have accidentally shot Matt in the leg once or twice, but where did the shot to the lower back come in to play? And from whose gun did that bullet come from?

I’m sure Ms. Huff has good intentions and believes in her mind that she is doing the right thing. Unfortunately it appears she is not aware of all the facts surrounding the incident. Those of you that do know the facts, I hope you act accordingly.

How can anyone, before all the facts are known, vote for a person like this. Now, if in a year’s time the facts do play out that Mr. Speirs was wholly in the right and did the proper thing, then nominate him next year, but let’s not jump the gun and go off the deep end only to find out too late that we rewarded this person with 15 minutes of fame, $10,000.00 and a trip to a NASCAR race in N. Carolina.

And if the facts play out that Deputy Speirs did act properly, which I certainly do not believe myself, then I will gladly print a retraction in the Ledger and apologize to him.

If you would like to read other peoples thoughts before you make up your mind one way or another, then click on this link and see for yourself. This certainly did clarify things for me big time. :

http://forums.leoaffairs.com/viewforum. ... 1d47b7cf9d (http://forums.leoaffairs.com/viewforum.php?f=80&sid=5b0...34393253f91d47b7cf9d)

03-21-2007, 04:19 AM
Geezus! I'm totally out of the loop and hadn't known Spiers actually shot Matt. What an idiotic, stupid, homicidal, cowardly, reckless fool! (and that revelation won't reflect very well, at least months later, especially after the lack of disclosure, on Grady himself) Or that he then abandoned Matt to save himself. Why doesn't Grady fire his cowardly a$$ immediately ??? Why isn't Spiers charged with manslaughter? Grady needs to purge a certain ****roach. Immediately. I have a friend who works with the County who tells me that Spiers is a sullen piece of crap, but I didn't know all that .... What a candy-a$$ed coward! I'd like to kick his cowardly a$$ myself! Hero? I think not! If he had a single hair on his a$$ he'd do the honorable thing: resign and perhaps then blow his own head off, or at least move far, far away to hide his shame. I'll literally puke all over myself if he gets some sort of hero status for his shameful, reprehensible actions. I saw him hobbling around sanctimoniously on his crutches at Matt's funeral and smelled a rat even then. He was way too ****y for someone who'd lost a brother just a few days before. Spiers couldn't care less about Matt. What a f*cking a$$hole. I hope the law enforcement community shuns him and eventually forces him to either "off" himself, or to move to Scranton or Moosejaw or something, where the locals don't know about his sordid past. If he had the slightest modicum of honor or decency he'd have either stayed and defended Matt ..... or blown his own head off months ago. I certanly hope the law enforcement communtiy boycotts any "honors" accorded to Doug "The Cowardly Co-Killer" Spiers.

Okay, sure I'm a defense atty, but Matt was my friend. I loved the guy. We had lots of cases together over the years. I set everybody listed by the SAO for deposition plenty of times, and Matt would call me and say he was only perimeter or whatever and I'd excuse him from the depos. We exchanged cell phone numbers. He said he'd appear for depo if I really needed him, or I could call him any time, which I did, primarily because I enjoyed talking with him. I seldom deposed him, but sometimes I'd set him for depo just to get a chance to see him and talk with him. We called each other from time to time ... him, to ask what defense attorneys were thinking, and me to ask what cops were thinking. He was a prince of a guy. Unlike Patterson (although Patterson's Dad is a great guy) and Horner, he didn't get killed because of being an idiot or (possibly suicidal) coward..... getting killed doesn't automatically make someone a hero. Matt was a hero no matter what. We were always gonna get together and go fishing, but never did. Now we'll never get that chance. More specifically, I'll never get that chance.

I'm just really p*issed off that I never got a chance to get to know Matt better and go fishing with him, and that that coward Spiers actually contributed to his death and now passes himself off as a hero. Forget Freeland ...... he's already met Satan and is eating coals and breathing fire and brimstone as we speak. I'm also somehow p*ssed off that only law enforcement seems to be qualified to grieve over his death. I've spent a lot of time at his grave and shed a lot of tears. I loved Matt. I stayed away and watched the whole thing on tbo.com live feed so as not to infringe on law enforcement's private affair during the funeral, but dammit he was my friend too. I'll never forget Matt as a friend, great guy and colleague, and I'll go visit him at his grave until the day I die myself. And anybody, law enforcement or not, who doesn't like it -- especially Mr. Coward F*ckFace Spiers -- can kiss my a$$.

03-21-2007, 01:18 PM
I'm almost speechless over this nomination of Doug Speirs for ANY sort of award relating to Matt and DiOGi's deaths. I'm even more amazed that he has the lack of class to accept, even promote, such a nomination for himself. If he had any dignity at all, he would graciously bow out of this award. A better man would be grateful that an uninformed, well-intended citizen thought enough to do this, but he'd step out of the competition. Knowing that he GREATLY contributed to his brother's death, he should walk away from any heroic recognition. That's if he had any dignity. Obviously, Speirs doesn't. Speirs claims that he doesn't see himself as a hero. Good! Neither do the rest of us. All he did was survive an armed confrontation that got another deputy and a K9 killed. If simple survival is all it takes to be a hero, then maybe he does qualify. He certainly saved his own skin!

I'm just so curious as to how he lives with himself. He didn't just get another cop shot, he shot him too!! He frigging SHOT Matt!! Are we the only ones who see a serious problem with that?! He shot Matt, then he fled. He left Matt alone with a killer, and couldn't even tell anybody where he was. That is unexcuseable, and unforgiveable. Why Grady is covering for him, is beyond me. It's bad enough to see Christopher Horner's name on the Law Enforcement Memorial, knowing he killed himself. Now we have to sit back and watch this coward honored for his cowardice. When does the lying stop? I can only hope and pray that a truly deserving cop will win that award. It would be intolerable to see Speirs benefit from Matt and DiOGi's murders.

Does anyone know how to contact America's Most Wanted, to alert them to this turmoil? Since Speirs doesn't have the backbone to pull himself out of the competition, maybe other cops should help him out of it. It doesn't require our "opinions" of Speirs' actions. All the show needs to know is that Speirs shot his partner, and left him to die alone. That is already documented fact. And it should be enough to make the show's producers pull him from the nominee's list. Speirs must be a real piece of work! I'm glad he doesn't work in my district of Polk County, and I'm sorry for those of you who have to work with him in yours. This job is tough enough on its own. It's even harder when you know you can't trust your partner. Speirs really needs to go find a new career...one that doesn't require guts.

justmyopinion
03-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Log onto www.amw.com (http://www.amw.com) and go to contact, I've done my part now I need back up with it. It makes me sicker than a dog to think he will reap from the death of Matt & DiOGi. How he lives with himself is beyond me

03-21-2007, 01:47 PM
I just sent an email to amw.com and included a link to this website and this thread. Maybe somebody there will read it and put and end to this nonsense. I wouldn't hold my breath, though. AMW is all about ratings, and they've got to earn a profit so John Walsh can continue to buy hair spray, so they'll do whatever will earn them ratings and money.

The best consolation to all of this is that Matt would find it all very amusing.

03-21-2007, 02:01 PM
Thank you for the link!!! You can bet I'll use it, and pass it on to others to use. Let's just hope honor and dignity win over ratings. Matt and DiOGi deserve better than this. Our agency deserves better than this, and everyone who lays their life on the line deserves better than this!
Thanks again!

justmyopinion
03-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Also, for those of you who are writing to AMW, after you clik on contact us, I used the ERROR, not the make a comment. I'm thinking if its a comment they will be slow in reading it. I'm hoping that when they see ERROR they'll open it sooner, we need sooner :D Thanks to all of you who are writing and taking a stand to get this "award" nomanation kicked out. Stay Safe & watch your back!

03-21-2007, 05:51 PM
Talk about cowards - Each one of you are - in my book. Hiding behind user names.
If you feel this way that is fine, however be man/woman enough to take credit for your bullsh!t.

03-21-2007, 05:56 PM
typical "quebec" unit. generally speaking...... lazy as can be, dont wont to work traffic crashes, thinks they're soooo elite..... aren't "traffic" units supposed to work "traffic" crashes? noooo! they just want to do d.t.a.'s and write tix. disband it. report back to shifts. pronto. too many "special" people hiding in "specialty" units. there are a couple of exceptions, however, who i respect tremendously.

justmyopinion
03-21-2007, 05:56 PM
And just maybe we do know who each of us are...you are a troll and don't belong on this web site!

03-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Well one of your own put the link on the ledger.com - so talk to that moron!!!

03-21-2007, 06:19 PM
Hold up, when did this become a hit on the traffic unit..... Caveman Are you a traffic unit? Do you know what we do? PROLLY NOT!!!! for the DTA's everyone one of us hate them but they are like DV's gotta do them..

Lets see you work the agency crashes that involve a fatal.. The traffic unit members have more training in their field then almost any other field in this agency. So you see a traffic unit on the screen you have no idea what they are doing.. They have to follow up on S3's, deal with Deputies that cant drive and Fatal's you figure a small fatal report is no less than 50 pages and since the traffic unit doesnt do anything according to you, then you would know that last year alone they worked 40+ fatals, which not all members of the traffic unit can work due to lack of classes. So you figure interviews, dealing with SAO, filing charges, court they stay busy. So being able to get out of the office to write a few citations is a bonus so before you go bad mouthing a unit try working in that unit first!!!!

03-21-2007, 06:24 PM
On one more Note to my last, The traffic unit is two completely different units you have the West side and East Side..... Which are run completely different...

justmyopinion
03-21-2007, 06:28 PM
Well one of your own put the link on the ledger.com - so talk to that moron!!!

Excuse me troll, I didn't see anything in that article that said that person was "one of our own" bye bye

03-21-2007, 06:48 PM
I figure this is about time I write a message since I figured out this website from The Ledger forum.

This message is for Geico Caveman. Please be aware there are two different traffic units, east and west, which are both conducted extremely different. I cannot tell you what West side does for I come in contact with them on traffic initiatives and Sun and Fun. But I can tell you what I do, which is basically what the rest of the East Region traffic unit does.

I will do this, I will call you out, I'm McManus, 4310. I have nothing to hide. If you wish to express your anger towards traffic, please, talk to me in person. I'll try to help you with your anger management issues with traffic.

Not only did last year I take 52 DUIs, I took over 150-200 civilian crashes, 4 Fatals I was assigned to, over 600 citations (12 months, average 50 tickets, which is low but a rough average), assisted with Sun and Fun (takes up a week), teaching at the Training Center with the STEP, assist other deputies with their fatals, Parades, working Departmental Crashes, working county crashes, along with memos with people complain because they dont think they should have gotten a ticket, court, along with training new Traffic units for the east, as well as assisting my supervision with whatever tasks they need. On top of DTAs and writing tickets and having to attend classes pertaining to my position and what is required by the Sheriff's Office, which is my employer if I wish to keep a job with them. Oh did I tell you that I have my cell phone number posted so in case anyone needs any help, they are welcome to call at any time of day or night?

Granted, I may skip a few parking lot crashes or a simple driver's exchange because I have other things to do.

By no means am I complaining about my position as a traffic homicide investigator, I absolutely love it, but please be aware that I may not check out on every little thing I do because if I'm needed, I will go.

It really upsets me that you think all traffic unit is useless because all we want to do is write tickets. An average "normal" fatal usually takes up to 2-3 weeks on the average to begin, work and finish the report. The report is an average 30-80 pages depending on the crash and circumstances. I work really hard to help everyone in anything they need. So please, dont bash all Traffic if you are upset with one.

I look forward to hearing from you. I have to get back to work, thank you for your time.

03-21-2007, 07:50 PM
McManus

ohh man!
I know you, you gave me a speeding ticket once on south combee road.

I learned my lesson, thanks

03-21-2007, 07:54 PM
TO THE INDIVIDUAL WHO MADE THE ENTRY AS "GUEST", STATING THAT ALL OF US WERE HIDING BEHIND OUR USER NAMES: FEEL FREE TO E-MAIL ME AT : SRMUNCHKIN@AOL.COM
I FEAR GOD....NOT MEN. AND I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FRO DEFENSE ATTY. :)

03-21-2007, 08:46 PM
I love working with you Laura. Any time I've got a s4 pending and your 10-8 (even when your not), you always speak up to take it. Some speak up for s4's and some don't. I know just because a unit is showing 10-8 doesn't mean their not working, so I try not to judge or assume.

Geico Caveman, don't judge the rest of the traffic division based on the actions of one unit. There are good deputies in traffic dept as well as in the agency.

justmyopinion
03-21-2007, 09:12 PM
10-37
you are not alone with your thinking! There are plenty of us out here that feel the same way. Matt is watching over all of us!! Be safe

03-21-2007, 09:24 PM
Talk about cowards - Each one of you are - in my book. Hiding behind user names.
If you feel this way that is fine, however be man/woman enough to take credit for your bullsh!t.

Pot calling the kettle black ? I noticed you didn't use your name either.

03-21-2007, 10:52 PM
Some of you are making assumptions without the true facts.

I wonder how many of you have been in a firefight, been shot at, returned fire, or fought for your life? Is this your coping mechansim for dealing with the grief?

We all respected/loved Matt and he was a great K9 trainer/handler, I know he was a professional and proud of his craft.

I know Matt is certainly not proud of this display. Attacking one of your own? Causing contention within the ranks, bickering in public view. I am ashamed some of you wear the same badge and uniform I have defended for years. I defend your freedom of speech, but where is your pride and honor. If you have problems with Doug Speirs why don't you talk to him?

03-21-2007, 11:13 PM
Glad what happened finally came out--well to the degree the SO has decided to let it with whatever "truth" has been determined. Such an unjustice was hard to keep silent. It is horrible what Matt went through--his chances most likely taken away by a fellow deputy who couldn't even stay by his side. He owed Matt at least that.

Anyway, I've e-mailed AMW also, but wanted to add to please vote on someone else just in case they leave that "nonhero" on. Encourage your friends to vote for someone truly worthy as well.

03-21-2007, 11:19 PM
Lawdog, you say we're making assumptions. Well the facts are: 1-Doug shot Matt. 2-Doug left Matt alone. 3-Doug couldn't tell ANYONE where Matt was. You sound like a supervisor. That's fine, but this forum is a haven where we can express ourselves. You don't have to be proud. All you have to know is that we would NEVER do to you what was done to Matt. Those are the only "facts" that matter. Do you really think any of this would be an issue if Doug Speirs weren't trying to paint himself as a hero?

NotsoOld Cop
03-21-2007, 11:59 PM
Wow! What a hot topic!! I don't know how it went from Matt and DiOGi's shooting to traffic, then back, but it's interesting. Just for the record, I think the traffic unit is awesome!!! They do what I hate to do, so my hat is off to you guys and gals! Even when I have to work a S4, you're always helpful, so no complaints here. Some people just have to hate on specialty units. Those types are never happy, so forget them. Most of us know what you do, and sincerely appreciate you.

Now for the concern about Doug Speirs and this award for being a hero...well, I don't even know where to start. I was called to help the day Matt and DiOGi died, like so many others. I listened to the deputies who were frantically trying to find them. I heard the pain and anger in their voices. I talked with members of the team who found Matt and DiOGi, and carried them out of the woods. I knew very early on, how many wounds Matt had, and where they were. Right away, I knew something was wrong. I didn't want to think that Matt had been shot by his backup, but the evidence was there.

As terrible as that was, I think I could have been more forgiving if Doug Speirs weren't presented to us as a hero. I've swollowed a lot of roughage over the years. This line of work requires it. But the way this has been presented is just a bit more than I can stomach. If we had been told all the facts when they were known, and his errors had been given to us honestly and openly, we would have been less harsh. I think. Don't get me wrong, I still have strong feelings about what happened, but we could have learned from those mistakes if they had been dealt with. Instead, we're expected to view his acts as heroic? I can't. I have too many questions about that day, and I don't believe I'll get good enough answers now.

I've been shot at. I've been in shooting situations. It has never even once occurred to me to run, or to shoot with another officer in my line of fire. I truly can't understand the kind of thinking that makes someone run. I know it exists. I just don't identify with it, and I don't believe it belongs in law enforcement. Today, I did something that may well get me into trouble. If so, it won't be the first time. But sometimes it's necessary to take a stand. Today, we were all sent an interoffice email about the AMW award. The email gives the link to the website, and asks us all to vote for Doug.

I'm so very sorry, but I just can't let that go. I responded to the email, knowing they will identify me as the sender. I expressed how offended I am by this email, and how inappropriate I feel it is. Some things have no business in interoffice email, and that is one of them. I may hear nothing from my actions. Then again, I may. My response was short, professional, and to the point. It should give no cause for anyone to be upset. But you never know. All I know is that I am not the only one who has found the AMW email to be offensive. I may be the only one who didn't simply delete it. Stupid on my part? Maybe. But it's hard to turn a blind eye to this situation, knowing how Matt and DiOGi died. To me, this whole situation is just so deeply sad. I feel sorry for Doug, in a way. Not because he was in a terrible shooting, but because he's now in a position I would never want to be in.

03-22-2007, 02:03 AM
I CALLED AMW LAST NIGHT AND TALKED WITH A PERSON WHO DOES THE RESEARCH FOR THE SHOW. IT SEEMS AS IF WE ARE NOT THE ONLY ONES WHO DETECT THE ODER..THEY SMELLED IT ALSO, BUT WENT WITH THE LETTER RECOMMENDING HIM FOR THE AWARD.
IT SEEMS AS IF A MR TIMOTHY HUFF WAS THE ONE OF THE PEOPLE TO RECOMMEND SPEARS. THE NAME IS FAMILIAR, BUT I CAN'T PLACE IT.
AT ANY RATE, I RECOMMENDED MY DAUGHTER IN LAW FOR THE AWARD.
SHE WAS AN P.M. IN AFGANISTAN MAING A .50 CAL. ON A HUMMV LAST NOV. TEY HIT AN I.E.D., AND THE VEHICLE FLIPPED AND PINNED HER AT THE WAIST. SHE WAS ON THE GROUND 5 HRS. WAITING FOR A MEDIVAC, ALMOST BLED OUT 2 TIMES, WENT INTO CARDIAC ARREST TWICE, AND WAS THE ONLY SURVIVOR. THE MEDIVAC HAD TO ABORT BECUASE OF THE SNOW STORM, SHE THEY LOADED HER IN ANOTHER HUMMV AND TOOK HER TO A GREEK MEDICAL CENTER. AT ANY RATE, SHE LOST BOTH LEGS, AND IS NOW IN REHAB AT WALTER REED, LOOKING AT LEAST ANOTHER YEAR OF REHAB.
THE 2 MAIN REASONS I SUBMITTED HER NAME WAS KIDS LIKE HER AT WALTER REED ARE REAL HEROES.......AND EVERY VOTE SHE GETS, IF SHE MAKES THE CUT, IS ONE LESS For SPEARS..

03-22-2007, 02:38 AM
look people my name is tim huff i have been in the judicial system called defendant quite a few times , i respect what yall do i didn't nominate deputy speirs my wife did on 2-14 before the report was made public ! it was not her intention to offend either deputy williams memory she had first nominated him they told her at amw that the deputy sadly had to be alive .im very sorry for yalls loss and i respect yall and what you do i hope this message is clear .i sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding i told my wife my opinion on the shooting but it was a lil late and i have to stand by my wife what she did wasn't to just honor speirs it was for all of you to show the great respect and appreciation for what you men amd women do everyday
thank you timothy r huff jr

03-22-2007, 03:27 AM
THE NICE PEOPLE AT AMW HAVE THIS WEB ISTE, AND ARE MONITORING THE FEED BACK INVOLVING MATT'S DEATH...
STILL WAITING FOR MAIL FROM THE "GUEST" THAT FEELS I AM A COWARD FOR "HIDING" BEHIDING MY USER NAME.......
ALSO...A CORRECTION: THE NAME WAS MRS TIMOTHY HUFF...

03-22-2007, 03:37 AM
I CALLED AMW LAST NIGHT AND TALKED WITH A PERSON WHO DOES THE RESEARCH FOR THE SHOW. IT SEEMS AS IF WE ARE NOT THE ONLY ONES WHO DETECT THE ODER..THEY SMELLED IT ALSO, BUT WENT WITH THE LETTER RECOMMENDING HIM FOR THE AWARD.
IT SEEMS AS IF A MR TIMOTHY HUFF WAS THE ONE OF THE PEOPLE TO RECOMMEND SPEARS. THE NAME IS FAMILIAR, BUT I CAN'T PLACE IT.
AT ANY RATE, I RECOMMENDED MY DAUGHTER IN LAW FOR THE AWARD.
SHE WAS AN P.M. IN AFGANISTAN MAING A .50 CAL. ON A HUMMV LAST NOV. TEY HIT AN I.E.D., AND THE VEHICLE FLIPPED AND PINNED HER AT THE WAIST. SHE WAS ON THE GROUND 5 HRS. WAITING FOR A MEDIVAC, ALMOST BLED OUT 2 TIMES, WENT INTO CARDIAC ARREST TWICE, AND WAS THE ONLY SURVIVOR. THE MEDIVAC HAD TO ABORT BECUASE OF THE SNOW STORM, SHE THEY LOADED HER IN ANOTHER HUMMV AND TOOK HER TO A GREEK MEDICAL CENTER. AT ANY RATE, SHE LOST BOTH LEGS, AND IS NOW IN REHAB AT WALTER REED, LOOKING AT LEAST ANOTHER YEAR OF REHAB.
THE 2 MAIN REASONS I SUBMITTED HER NAME WAS KIDS LIKE HER AT WALTER REED ARE REAL HEROES.......AND EVERY VOTE SHE GETS, IF SHE MAKES THE CUT, IS ONE LESS For SPEARS..mentioning my name was not right i did not moninate ayone for an award period i am sorry you were misinformed .if i were you i would re elavuate my sources before putting out erroneous information in public forum. i mean no malice i just dont like my name involved in this whole situation.like i said earlier i respect what you do and as to the familiarity of my name i am no stranger to L.E.O. thank you for your time sincerely Mr TimothyR Huff Jr.

03-22-2007, 03:48 AM
THE NICE PEOPLE AT AMW HAVE THIS WEB ISTE, AND ARE MONITORING THE FEED BACK INVOLVING MATT'S DEATH...
STILL WAITING FOR MAIL FROM THE "GUEST" THAT FEELS I AM A COWARD FOR "HIDING" BEHIDING MY USER NAME.......
ALSO...A CORRECTION: THE NAME WAS MRS TIMOTHY HUFF...
my wifes name is Chasity she prefers her name not the chauvanistic afformentioned title and once again she contacted amw initailly to honor deputy williams she was told by ms. richardson that a fallen deputy could not be given this honor .It was not her intent to anger you or have anyone use her name in such synical context . Is respect for public servants in such low regard have we such little respect for human life ,that people have the audacity to speak of a tragic death and then without a breathe revert to suicide for one of your own . i empathize with you i ask you to honor yourselves and speak with dignity not beligerence .you are all heroes to someone how do you think you look to those who have put you on a pedestool .and one more thing the statement in the paper allegedly by my wife was a mere manipulation of her words ,with that i bid you farewell...for now god bless ya

03-22-2007, 03:58 AM
please excuse this reply i forgot to sign my name in the previous blog.
god bless ya' Timothy R Huff Jr

03-22-2007, 04:56 AM
Okay, I promise I'll go away. Even though I feel I was as close to Matt Williams as many of you, I know there's a "law enforcement thing" that nobody "outside" can penetrate. Not even Bunky, not that he hasn't tried.

Is it just me, or is John Walsh profiting from his son's death? Did he go from Joe Sixpack to some blow-dried, hotshot ladies' man, or was it just my imagination while his son Adam laid rotting in in his grave with his butthole ripped asunder from some sicko pervert, while Dear Ol' Daddy plotted his future in the popular media and started using hair product and getting manicures and probably pedicures as well? John Walsh is a f*cking creep and an opportunist, to put it charitably. If he even deigns to mention Matt Williams, it'll be entirely in the context of a totally scripted vignette entirely choreographed to, first and foremost, keep up AMW's ratings and increase John Walsh's chances of getting laid. If it happens to be a public service as well, then that's fine too. But I don't think AMW or John Walsh could give a rat's a*s about anything but ratings and money. Certainly not John's murdered son, and certainly not Matt Williams. John's no better than Jerry Springer and certainly not as erudite.

I say again, Matt is probably laughing his a*s off at all of this. It really makes zero difference in the long run. The most important thing is that Matt be remembered as the kind of man he was, and that those of us left behind emulate his best characteristics. Which is why I'm gonna quit posting all this crap and just sit back and laugh, just like Matt would've done.

03-22-2007, 12:25 PM
To Mr. Huff, I say read back through these posts again. It wasn't one of us who proposed that Doug Spiers should commit suicide. That came from Defense Atty. I don't believe any of us, especially those who've seen death close up, would suggest such a thing. We may have strong feelings about what happened, and how Doug SHOULD handle it, but we wouldn't suggest suicide. There's already been enough death in this case.
Your wife's good intentions are very much appreciated. We wouldn't suggest that she feel guilty about doing an act of kindness. She had no way of knowing the facts of Matt and DiOGi's deaths, because they weren't made public. They still haven't really been made public. So how would she know a sh@$ storm was brewing? If fact, I don't think anyone here said anything negative about her. The negative comments have come in regard to Doug's reaction to her generousity. Once he was put up for such an award, he should have graciously backed out. Knowing what he did, he should have pulled his own name out of the running.

No one is saying they believe Doug shot Matt intentionally. We all believe it was an accident. But frig!! He shot him!!! That in itself is enough for me to mistrust his ability to be a cop! Then he turned and ran, and couldn't even tell searchers where Matt was. Matt deserved better than that! Any cop deserves better than that! He should have the sense to see how other cops would feel about something like that. For him to continue to accept his name in the competition for a bravery award, is just a slap in the face to the rest of us. He was anything but brave, and his arrogance is apparent in the fact that he's continuing this sham.

To Defense Atty, I gotta tell ya, you don't come across as any sort of attorney. Your posts are crude, poorly written, and way too profane for a forum like this. If you'd take a moment to notice, the posts from the cops...even those of us who were friends of Matt...have some reserve when it comes to what we say. You seem to let it all hang out, and it ain't very pretty. People from outside law enforcement do come to this site, for whatever reason. They don't take the time to figure out who is who. To them, it's all from cops. When you post in the manner you've been posting, you make all of us look bad. So my request to you is, if you truly did know Matt, respect his memory. He wouldn't have been comfortable with some of the things you've said here. There are ways of getting your point across to people, without using profanity or vulgar comparisons.
Even in our grief, we can express ourselves intelligently. If AMW really is monitoring this site for our input, what kind of impression are we making on them? Good grief!!

03-22-2007, 01:48 PM
Dear LEO'S, EMT'S, First Responders, Etc.

My name is Chasity Huff. I received a personal invite from JUSTMYOPINION to view this forum. I am the one who nominated Deputy Speirs. My original nomination had went to Matt Williams, however after AMW contacted me back, they had told me, "the Deputy's family could not accept this award on his behalf." Trust me, I said a few profound cuss words under my breath at this time. I went ahead and submitted the nomination for Deputy Speirs on or around Valentines Day. Well before I had any knowledge of what was about to transpire.

I was not contacted until the first week of March by Sgt. Horne who called me in regards to my nomination. I guess this was around the time that the SAO (please excuse me if I am wrong in my quotes here) exonerated all invovled persons in the Death of Angelo Freeland. Here is the thing, I am an ordinary citizen. I took it upon myself to ATTEMPT to do something nice for someone else. I attempted to honor the PCSO and Deputy Williams Memory. However, once again things blow up in my face. I am so terribly sorry if I have offended any of you.

I never meant for this to turn in a media circus as it has. When Gabrielle Finley from the Ledger called me, I had told her "I did not want my name used as I did not want to be involved and it is not a Chritian thing to do." What really upset me, is she took quotes from my corrresponding email and took out half of the bible quotes and mangled my email and corrupted and twisted my words into something I did not say.

I have been rudley ridiculed, and veneimously attacked on here for the nomination. But please understand, I HAD NO PRIOR knoowledge of anything and did this well before anything was ever released to the public. As most citizens that day, I was inside my home, with my children glued to the tv. I cannot begin to imagine the traum, nightmares and pain each of you have indivulally suffered.

And for this, I want you all to know that I deeply respect each of you. If any of you need to vent or yell at me for the problems this has caused, I will leave you my business email. refundsbycth@aol.com

Once again, I am sorry for the problems I have caused. Last night my husband suggested that if Doug were to get voted into the top 8 seats, that he donate the money to the Williams family. That was my original intent in the first place is to have the money go to the Matt Williams Memorial Fund. It was all intent on taking care of the Williams family. I am terribly and humbly sorry for the problems that have since arose.

Yesterday, I was literally sick to my stomach as I was developing a migraine reading the blogs. For some people to "attack" me for doing what I did was beyond something I could comprehend. I am still with a migraine this morning. I know the pain is still fresh and the wounds will heal over time of the loss of your friend and beloved K-9. My inapporpriate move caused the wounds to reopen and for this I deeply apologize.

I cannot retract my nomination as I had submitted it to AMW in February before I had known what was about to become of everything. However, I will say this, I will not turn my back on anyone. Jesus never did nor will I. Although Doug may have done something horrible, and you may ridicule me for this, because I am the one who nominated him; I feel it is only right (and the Christian thing to do) to stand behind him. Until the voting period is over or he backs out or AMW pulls his profile as I see some of you are trying to have taken off.

Please accpet my apology and please know that everyday I keep all of you in my prayers. I am very sorry once again for the trouble that has come of this.

Respectfully Submitted,
Chasity L. Huff

03-22-2007, 03:24 PM
i wish to retract my previous post which made negative comments about the traffic unit. i was caught up in my own anger about the topic and lashed out over a couple bad experiences that i have had. please, dont take it personal. i wouldnt want to have to work fatalities or deal with complaining citizens everyday that are angry over an investigation or angry over being caught breaking a traffic law. again, im sorry.

03-22-2007, 09:39 PM
Geico, apology accepted.

03-22-2007, 10:52 PM
Chasity, you did what you believed was a good thing. That is nothing to apologize for. Hopefully, this won't deter you from future acts of kindness. It's not your fault you didn't know what really happened in those woods when Matt and DiOGi were killed. The truth should have come out months ago, and it should have been honest. Unlike that heap of garbage The Ledger was fed by the sheriff's office. If you read the article carefully, you saw that the only things quoted from the State Attorney's Office and FDLE was that we were cleared on the Freeland killing. They made absolutely no statements regarding the fact that Matt was also shot by Doug Speirs. They wisely left that whole mess up to the Sheriff's Office to address. In typical S.O. fashion, they took months to tell the truth. And even when they did, they played it down so much that you hardly thought about the severity of it. They claimed Doug "might have shot" Matt, because Matt had "two bullet holes in his pants leg". They wouldn't even go so far as to say he was shot in the leg!! Just that he had holes in his pants. They completely left out the fact that Matt was also shot in the back, damaging his spine! You don't get shot in the back when you're facing, and engaging your suspect. Doug claimed (in one of his statements) that he heard Matt shouting orders to Freeland. Well, if Matt was doing that, he was facing Freeland.

Many of us wonder just why the S.O. is trying to protect Doug, when they would throw many of us to the wolves without a second thought. The only answer I can come up with is training, or lack of it. If they make public what really happened out in those woods, Doug would be forced to resign. The pressure to do something with him would be great. He could come back on the agency for lack of training. Until this year, we had absolutely no training that addressed the issue of tracking with a K9. Many of us have said for years, that deputies need to be trained in how tracks are conducted. Now, we have the new "how not to shoot the handler" block of training during ALERT day. No one has admitted where that training came from, but most of us are smart enough to figure it out.

No, you didn't know any of this was going on when you so innocently nominated Doug Speirs for the AMW award. How could you know? You should never feel badly about doing such a thing. I haven't seen anything negative about you in this thread, so maybe there are other threads or blogs I've missed. The negative here has been toward Doug Speirs' callous and cold acceptance of an honor he clearly does not deserve. In law enforcement, we are a hard bunch. We don't bend, and we don't forgive easily. Cowardice is unforgiveable. The anger we express here, is a way of venting this injustice. Doug needs to man up, and do the right thing. He needs to pull himself out of that award competition before it gets any uglier.

I noticed a couple of half-hearted attempts here to defend Doug Speirs. There was the claim that we don't know all the facts. Well, we know enough. It seems odd to me that, with over 1600 viewings of this thread (most in the last 3 days), Doug Spiers hasn't posted his own defense...or his own explanation of what happened. With that many viewings, someone has to have told him about this forum. Why does he say nothing? Maybe he's hoping it will blow over, and we'll all go away. That's not happening. Personally, I couldn't work in an environment where I knew the other cops didn't trust me. I don't see how he comes to work day after day. THAT is what this is all about. It's got nothing to do with your kind nomination, and everything to do with his classless acceptance.
What about it, Doug? Are you willing to put this to rest?

03-23-2007, 02:36 AM
TO THE HUFF FAMILY, I IN NO WAY HAD ANY INTENTION OF INVOLVING EITHER OF YOU IN ANY TYPE OF CONFLICT, OR INTENDED TO BELITTLE
YOU. IF I WORDED MY POSTINGS IN SUCH A WAY AS TO GIVE YOU THIS IMPRESSION, I AM DEEPLY SORRY, AND ASK YOU TO FORGIVE ME.
THE LETTER FROM "GUEST" STATING THAT YOU DID WHAT YOU FELT WAS RIGHT, EXPRESSES HOW I FEEL BETTER THAN I COULD. I MAY HAVE USED POOR JUDGEMENT IN USING YOUR NAME, BUT IT WAS INTENDED AS A POINT OF INFORMATION, NOT AS A SLAM. I AGREE WHOLE HEARTEDLY THAT YOU SHOULD NOT LET THIS INCIDENT PREVENT YOU FROM DOING GOOD THINGS FOR OTHERS....AGAIN I AM SORRY FOR ANY AND ALL SUFFERING YOU HAVE INCURRED FOR MY POOR JUDGEMENT, AND AGAIN ASK FOR YOUR FORGIVENESS.
I CAN ONLY SPEAK FOR MYSELF, BUT THE MAJOR THING ABOUT MATT'S MURDER ARE ALL THE QUESTIONS ...... ONLY ONE PERSON KNOWS ALL THE FACTS.....SPEARS.
UNLIKE OTHERS, I WISH NO HARM TO THE INDIVIDUAL. I DO NOT WANT HIM TO COMMIT SUICIDE, OR ANY SUCH FOOLISHNESS. PERSONNALY, IF HE WOULD ONLY PROVIDE ALL THE DETAILS OF MATT'S KILLING, THE GOOD, BAD, AND THE UGLY, I THINK I COULD FORGIVE HIM. THOSE WHO ASK IF I HAVE EVER BEEN SHOT AT OR IN A FIRE FIGHT, I WILL STATE AGAIN, AND NOT INTENDED AS BRAGGING ISSUE,
I WENT TO VIETNAM IN 1968,AT THE RIPE OLD AGE OF 19 ,SURVIVED THE TET OFFENSIVE, (WITH THE 1ST AIR CAV) AND FINISHED MY TOUR OF DUTY IN 1969. AFTER 3 MONTHS IN THE STATES, I WAS SENT BACK TO NAM AS AN ADVISOR TO THE SOUTH VIETNAMESE ARMY. I KNOW ABOUT FEAR, SCARED, SCARED S*&$LESS, AND SO SCARED I URINATED IN MY PANTS. I ALSO KNOW WHAT IT MEANS TO THE FAMILY
AND FRIENDS TO KNOW ALL THE FACTS SURROUNDING THE DEATH OF A LOVED ONE. THERE CAN BE NO CLOSURE WITH OUT THE WHOLE TRUTH.
UNTIL ALL THE TRUTH IS TOLD, I WILL DO EVERYTHING LEAGALY IN MY POWER TO TRY TO GET THE TRUTH TO BE TOLD. I DO NOT WANT ANYTHING TO HAPPEN TO DOUG SPEARS. ONLY HE HAS THE POWER TO
CLOSE THIS MATTER.......THE BALL IS IN HIS COURT. I HOPE EVERYONE THAT HAS WRITTEN TO THIS SIT WILL CONTINUTE TO ADD ENTRYS, AND ENCOURAGE OTHER TO EXPRESS THEMSELVE. AS LONG AS THIS IS HAPPENING, MATT'S DEATH WILL REMAIN VISIBLE AND IN PEOPLES MINDS. PERHAPS ONE DAY SOON, THE ONE PERSON THAT HAS THE FACTS WILL CHANGE THE LAWS OF NATURE, GROW A REAL PAIR, AND TELL EVERYTHING. MAY GOD BLESS THE HUFF FAMILY AND GIVE THEM THE STRENGTH TO CONTINUE THEIR EFFORTS TO DO THE RIGHT THING FOR OUR FELLOW MAN. DOING THE RIGHT THING MAY NOT BE EASY, BUT IS ALWAYS THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

03-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Folks, I've read some of these posts slamming Doug with dismay and disappointment. You are no doubt causing untold emotional damage on one of your own. I was there. I was on the original perimeter after the suspect had run off into the woods after the traffic stop. I didn't go into the woods because I, and others, were doing what we're supposed to do ... contain the suspect in the area. Even so afterwards I wish I had gone into the woods. But if everyone goes in the front door after the suspect he'll walk out the back door and be gone. Even so, I dealt with the guilt and the "what ifs". I can imagine what Doug has to deal with. I don't blame Doug at all. I blame his training ... too much "customer care" and not enough real world tactics that I see they're now trying to address more in ALERT. I've been on a track with a K9 deputy at night trying to find a suspect in the dark after he had burglarized a home in south Lakeland and stole a loaded handgun. I was trailing behind the K9 about fifteen feet where I was supposed to be and the dog went right by the guy hiding in tall weeds. I happened to spot him after the K9 deputy had his back to him. Thank God he didn't open up on us. I live by this: "There, but for the Grace of God, go I".. I wasn't with Doug and Matt when the shooting occurred and therefore will NOT judge and criticize. What we must do is learn by it, critique it, and TRAIN properly for it. I'm sure Doug would much rather this not happened at all. This is a dangerous game we play and sometimes bad things happen. As far as the "friendly fire" goes that has happened in countless armed conflicts in the military realm and the civilian law enforcement realm. There have been incidents of friendly fire throughout the history of armed conflict, especially in confused settings such as the nasty thick woods where this terrible incident occurred. Again, I blame his training. Would I have done a few things differently than Doug did that day? I would like to think so ... but many of you have never been in that situation and shouldn't "Monday morning quarterback" like you are doing. The hateful attacks on Doug serve no purpose and have no place in our profession. I'm sure Matt would agree as well. Learn from it, critique it, and TRAIN for it so that, hopefully, we can prevent such a tragedy from happening again.

03-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Very articulately put, Deputy. Being able to turn the other cheek is something I probably should work on. However, I have been in firefights. I was on the perimeter that day too, and I listened to the deputies who were trying to find Matt and DiOGi. Why does something suddenly become easier to swollow when we use gentler terminology? Like "friendly fire". Is it supposed to be more acceptible to us, because it's happened before? Oh! And how many of us would accept an award for bravery, knowing we shot our partner?! That is what this is about! Yes, I blame Doug's lack of training too. But I also blame Doug. He panicked, he shot his partner, he fled, and couldn't tell anyone where Matt was!! That is a personality flaw, not a training flaw. His story about the incident has had a few changing details. At first, he claimed he was "disoriented" and that was why he couldn't tell anyone where Matt was. Then he claimed Matt was on the ground, and he knew Matt was dead when he fired. He can describe the position Matt and Freeland were in, he could quickly find his way out to the ambulance, but he couldn't tell them where Matt was? That doesn't cause you the least bit of wonder? Now suddenly we're supposed to forget that Matt was also shot in the back. Conveniently, there seem to be no projectiles for firearm comparisons. I spoke with some of the guys who brought Matt out of those woods. They are experienced enough to know exit wounds from entry wounds. I trust it when they tell me that he was shot in the back, buttock, and leg from behind. Oh, this was before everyone was ordered not to talk about it.

Matt was facing his enemy. He was fighting for his life, and he was shot by someone who was supposed to help him. We are supposed to shrug our shoulders, and chalk it up to "friendly fire"? That's like saying "sh@! happens, oh well". There are too many unanswered questions surrounding Matt's death, to let this AMW award thing just ride. If Doug choses to stay in law enforcement, I would think he'd want people to know what happened. We all make mistakes under pressure. But to simply act as if it was no big deal, or that it didn't happen...well, that insults Matt's memory. And it insults every one of us. Deputy, if you trust Doug Speirs, then that's wonderful. Let him cover you during your next building search. I'd rather search alone.

03-23-2007, 05:45 PM
I promise I really will go away after this post, but wanted first to apologize to anyone I've offended. The evening I stumbled across this site (I think from a link in the Ledger), I happened to have stopped by Matt's grave earlier that day and was pretty upset. My resultant bourbon-fueled rant was inappropriate, both in language and content. I've since noticed that everybody here keeps their language pretty clean -- unlike plenty of other message boards -- and whomever it was that chewed me out was absolutely right. This site is a class act, and I applaud those of you --like the guy who chewed me out -- who keep it that way. I've gained even more respect for LEOs by reading some of the thoughtful analyses I've seen here, and I wish you all well.

SRMunchkin, I'll give you a holler in the near future. I'd kinda like for some of this to blow over first.

Thanks.

03-23-2007, 07:58 PM
Guest (from 3/23) ... I agree with much that you say and yes, I have problems with a lot that occurred. More than I have publicly said in conversation, trust me. I've kept most of it to myself in private. And yes, the AMW award is absolutely rediculous although it was begun by a very well intentioned citizen. I dont advocate at all just shrugging my shoulders and saying "oh well" ... no way. I was just throwing a few things out there for civilized debate and thought. I just hope that we can all learn (we already have) from this tragedy so that it will not happen again, God willing. I just dont think a public forum like this is any place to attack Doug or anyone else that may find themselves in such an unenviable position. Hopefully, like I said, the powers at be will incorporate MORE real world tactical training instead of the time wasted on "customer service". I'd much rather spend those four hours working on K9 tracks in a wooded setting or on building searches, etc. Be safe!

03-24-2007, 01:25 AM
I HAVE BEEN READING THE COMMENTS POSTED BY ALLEGED MEMBERS OF THE POLK COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE WITH DISBELIEF CONCERNING THE TRAGIC CIRCUMSTANCE INVOLVING D/S MATT WILLIAMS AND
D/S DOUG SPEIRS.
I DON'T HAVE TO HIDE BEHIND AN ASSUMED NAME WHEN I SAY SOMETHING, THERFORE TO SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT THIS IS BEING POSTED D/S K.W. SUMNER #2351 NORTHWEST BRAVO SHIFT POLK COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE.
I WAS ONE OF THE FEW AND I STRESS THE FEW THAT WAS ON SCENE
THAT TERRIBLE DAY WHEN I LOST NOT ONLY A SHIFT PARTNER BUT A FRIEND.
IT TURNS MY STOMACH WHEN I READ WHAT ALLEGED MEMBERS OF THE POLK COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE WHO ARE NOTHING MORE THAN THE TYPICAL "MONDAY MORNING QUARTERBACK" SAY ABOUT THAT TERRIBLE DAY.
I HOPE THAT THE COMMENTS POSTED ARE NOT MEMBERS OF THIS AGENCY BUT JUST SIDE LINE WANT A BE'S.
IF IN FACT THE COMMENTS MADE ARE FROM MEMBERS OF THE POLK COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE IT SADDENS ME DEAPLY.
I WOULD VENTURE TO SAY THAT FROM MY EXPERIENCE YOU COULDN'T MELT AND POUR THESE KIND OF PEOPLE ON A K-9 TRACK OR MUCH LESS DEPEND ON THEM IN A ARMED CONFRONTATION.
I HAVE NEVER WORKED ON A SHIFT WITH D/S SPEIRS BUT I WOULD NOT HESITATE HAVING HIM FOR A BACK-UP WHEN THE CHIPS ARE DOWN.
THERE ARE ONLY FOUR BEINGS THAT KNOW EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED THAT FATEFUL DAY, TWO ARE DEAD, D/S SPIERS, AND GOD.
IT IS MY OPINION THAT IF YOU THINK D/S SPEIRS DID WRONG UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES THAT LIFE DEALT HIM, YOU SHOULD KEEP THOSE COMMENTS TO YOUR OBVISIOUSLY MISINFORMED SELF.
CONCERNING THE COMMENTS POSTED BY AN ALLEGED DEFENSE ATTORNEY, WELL ANYONE IN LAW ENFORCEMENT SHOULD JUST CONSIDER THE SOURCE.
I FEEL EVERYONE IN THE POLK COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE SHOULD LET THIS EVENT BE A SOMBER REMINDER THAT WHEN THINGS GO WRONG ON YOUR TOUR OF DUTY, YOU COULD BE NEXT.
TAKE CARE OF YOUR SHIFT PARTNERS WHILE ON DUTY BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE MANY FRIENDS WHEN WE PUT THE UNIFORM ON AND I HOPE EVRYONE CAN SIGN OFF EVERY DAY AND NOT HAVE THE FINAL 10-87 AT THEIR GRAVE SIDE.
I'VE BEEN A MEMBER OF THE POLK COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE FOR OVER
19 YEARS I'M NOT HARD TO FIND IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK TO ME IN PERSON IF YOU HAVE THE BACKBONE.

03-24-2007, 09:28 AM
Go get 'em, Keith! :)

03-24-2007, 10:50 PM
I have been in this business over 21 years and have never been so disgusted as I have been over these postings. What Deputy Sumner (because he is one of very few who has guts enough to post his name) typed on here, is right on target. Deputy Speirs survived this incident, only by the grace of almighty God.

I have read some of your comments of how Doug ran, how he could not relate where Matt was left, how he left him there to die. You were not there. As Keith so aptly stated, Only God and Doug know whether he ran or "left Matt there to die alone", he and he alone will have to live with it if that is indeed what happened.

Would those of you casting the stones have him murdered so we could parade him as a hero as well? Do you think Matt would have wanted Doug to die too? Should the two Lakeland officers have died to show they were not "cowards" as well? I personally dont believe that garbage for one instant. He would have wanted anyone with him, to include Diogi, to live and fight another day. He would not have wanted two devastated families.

Matt had just completed teaching new handlers in a canine school. Each of those students were told, and they carry it next to their hearts, that what we do as handlers,,,is extremely dangerous work. Statistics show, and Matt taught, that a canine handler has a one in four chance of being in an officer involved shooting during his tenure as a dog handler. A “regular” patrol officer is around 1 in 100. By the Grace of God I never had to take a human life; many of my brothers in canine have.

Doug could have sat on his butt back in the patrol car and left Matt to go it alone, after all it was only a misdemeanor. Where would that decision leave Doug in your mind? What would it be when Matt was killed because Doug did not go in the first place? Where would it have left this travesty in Doug’s mind with the way this event un-folded? Doug can back me up anytime.

Sadly, I know that some of the hurtful dialogue posted here is just the surface and many of you only need to vent, to get the entire story, or the truth you ask for. I handle a dog now, and two others previously; I can’t tell you how many times I stood in the same pair of shoes as Matt, as any other tenured canine handler has, and divine intervention interceded. It was Matt’s time to go; he was called home. We are here and do what so few others can, or will, do. In the big scheme of things, law enforcement is a small family. Being a member of the “thin blue line” is exactly what Keith was talking about, you only have each other, this is no way to handle our grief.

If you have the guts to come out from behind the keyboard and talk there are options available. You can seek private counseling from someone you have probably never met before and has absolutely no idea what being part of our brotherhood is all about, or maybe we could ask the administration, the brass, our boss, for a venue or forum to relieve some of the pain in our hearts. Sometimes all you have to do is ask. Maybe you will see even they have feelings just like you and I.

Matt was my friend too.

Jim Bryan

NotsoOld Cop
03-25-2007, 01:55 PM
Thoughtfully voiced, Keith and Jim. Maybe we all have been a bit too harsh. Trust is a delicate thing in this profession. If you don't KNOW that you can trust your partner, it's the same as not being able to trust them. I think it's all the unanswered questions that have caused us to feel this way. It's knowing that the answers were available months before they were released. And it's knowing that they were released with specific terminology, instead of the straight-forward truth. The truth doesn't need to be expressed a certain way, so people can swollow it more easily. It should stand on its own. I have a serious problem being asked to vote a bravery award to someone when there are so many unanswered questions still hanging in the air. I have nothing personal against Doug Speirs. I'm sure what he's going through right now is very tough. I just have a real sense of discomfort with the whole thing. I promise you, if we're ever in a firefight together, and you're down, backup will find me with you. I would hope you'd do the same for me. I'm not afraid to die alone. But we all would like to know someone would be with us at the end. Not to die too, but to see us out of this world...as a friend.

03-25-2007, 02:11 PM
Hello all,
Just found out of all the bashing going on towards Doug and felt it is my place to give my opinon. First let me start by saying my husband is the true ultimate hero! But in addition, every, and I mean EVERY, including Doug, leo that was out their that day and every other day are also hero's. They put their life in danger every day to protect all of us. I can not even imagine what Doug is having to live with right now. As humans, we all ask ourself could he have done more, would we have done it differently, if only he would have, but none of us know what we will do until we are in that same pair of shoes. The accusations nor the facts will change that my husband is gone forever. The psco lost it's best k-9 officer(no offense to the other k-9 officers,because I love all of you, hope you understand that a wife has to stand by her husband, not to mention he was and will always be the best k-9 officer polk county ever had or will ever have). I know in my heart that my husband would not like another co-worker or leo being bashed the way some are bashing Doug. I would be lying to all of you, including Doug, if I did not admit that I have my negative thoughts and questions that run through my head, but If I, of all people, can continue to support all leo's including Doug, I would think that the least that the rest of you could do is either keep those negative thoughts to yourself or go to Doug and talk to him yourself. I am not judging anyone of you, I know that it is hard to not have bad thoughts... I can promise you this, I have even at one point gotten mad at Diogo, how stupid is that,, he, without a doubt, would have done everything in his dog powers to protect my husband, and I am sure he did this.... I also know that it feels better to get the negative feelings out in the open, just please know that I do not want to see any more hurt and pain in the pcso... I want to know that all deputys can trust each other and back each other. I want my kids to be proud of the organization their Dad lived and died for. I hope they never find this web site, it would only make them so much more confused then they already are. It has made me confused, I found myself getting angry at Doug... then I had to stop myself and realize these are just opinions of others, not facts.... words can be very impactful, and some of the words I have read on here are not words I would want to impact my children. In honor of my husband, please pull together as a department, community and county, and let this make us better and stronger then ever. He would want it that way. And if he could, he would be saying to all us "dont be hating". I know he would never consider himself the hero as we all do, he would only say "I was just doing my Job"... He lived and died with honor, please dont take that away from him....

In loving memory of my husband k-9 Matt Williams and his faithful partner and friend Diogo.

With much respect leo's,

Nancy Williams

03-25-2007, 02:49 PM
Nancy, Even though I am not one of the people that has left a post previously, I am ashamed and appalled that it has been left there for you to read and have to face.
I am very glad, however, that you have chosen to speak up in this matter, because it helps me, myself, find some peace knowing that you, of all the people who have a reson to "hate", and be angry, do not.
If it is good enough for you, it is good enough for me.
God Bless You, and you and your family are always in my prayers.

03-25-2007, 03:53 PM
Amen, Nancy .... God bless you and your family!

03-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Dear LEO'S, EMT'S, First Responders, Etc.

My name is Chasity Huff. I received a personal invite from JUSTMYOPINION to view this forum. I am the one who nominated Deputy Speirs. My original nomination had went to Matt Williams, however after AMW contacted me back, they had told me, "the Deputy's family could not accept this award on his behalf." Trust me, I said a few profound cuss words under my breath at this time. I went ahead and submitted the nomination for Deputy Speirs on or around Valentines Day. Well before I had any knowledge of what was about to transpire.

I was not contacted until the first week of March by Sgt. Horne who called me in regards to my nomination. I guess this was around the time that the SAO (please excuse me if I am wrong in my quotes here) exonerated all invovled persons in the Death of Angelo Freeland. Here is the thing, I am an ordinary citizen. I took it upon myself to ATTEMPT to do something nice for someone else. I attempted to honor the PCSO and Deputy Williams Memory. However, once again things blow up in my face. I am so terribly sorry if I have offended any of you.

I never meant for this to turn in a media circus as it has. When Gabrielle Finley from the Ledger called me, I had told her "I did not want my name used as I did not want to be involved and it is not a Chritian thing to do." What really upset me, is she took quotes from my corrresponding email and took out half of the bible quotes and mangled my email and corrupted and twisted my words into something I did not say.

I have been rudley ridiculed, and veneimously attacked on here for the nomination. But please understand, I HAD NO PRIOR knoowledge of anything and did this well before anything was ever released to the public. As most citizens that day, I was inside my home, with my children glued to the tv. I cannot begin to imagine the traum, nightmares and pain each of you have indivulally suffered.

And for this, I want you all to know that I deeply respect each of you. If any of you need to vent or yell at me for the problems this has caused, I will leave you my business email. refundsbycth@aol.com

Once again, I am sorry for the problems I have caused. Last night my husband suggested that if Doug were to get voted into the top 8 seats, that he donate the money to the Williams family. That was my original intent in the first place is to have the money go to the Matt Williams Memorial Fund. It was all intent on taking care of the Williams family. I am terribly and humbly sorry for the problems that have since arose.

Yesterday, I was literally sick to my stomach as I was developing a migraine reading the blogs. For some people to "attack" me for doing what I did was beyond something I could comprehend. I am still with a migraine this morning. I know the pain is still fresh and the wounds will heal over time of the loss of your friend and beloved K-9. My inapporpriate move caused the wounds to reopen and for this I deeply apologize.

I cannot retract my nomination as I had submitted it to AMW in February before I had known what was about to become of everything. However, I will say this, I will not turn my back on anyone. Jesus never did nor will I. Although Doug may have done something horrible, and you may ridicule me for this, because I am the one who nominated him; I feel it is only right (and the Christian thing to do) to stand behind him. Until the voting period is over or he backs out or AMW pulls his profile as I see some of you are trying to have taken off.

Please accpet my apology and please know that everyday I keep all of you in my prayers. I am very sorry once again for the trouble that has come of this.

Respectfully Submitted,
Chasity L. Huff

Dear Chasity,

I am an EMT and a K-9 handler's wife. I am also a friend of the family of Matt. I would like to express my heartfelt thank you for all you have attempted to do. I am not speaking on behalf of the family of Matt Williams, I am speaking on my own feelings.

You had no idea of the investigations in progress and had a wonderful intention to give back to the Williams family and honor someone you thought would deserve an award for public service. YOU DID NOTHING WRONG.

Be proud of the citizen you are and keep your head up.

I can tell you that riding beside my husband in the funeral procession was one of the most heart wrenching things I endured that day. Not many words were spoken between us in the long and slow ride to the cemetary that day. But I did say to him "these are the people you are working for, not the scum that you deal with on a daily basis". So let it be known you are appreciated.

I am sorry for the bashing of your name and character and for the way it has made you feel. The ledger has definately dissappointed me in rearranging your words, for it is not supposed to be a tabloid, only a factual newspaper. And why would someone take pride in butchering ones story on such a horrific subject for ratings?

Just know you have people behind you and we all hope that Doug does the right thing and pulls out or donates his money to the Williams family Memorial fund.

03-26-2007, 04:38 PM
I would like to take back my last comment about Doug doing the right thing and pulling out or donating the money to the Williams family.

In doing the right thing, I mean that if Doug is soliciting votes I would hope he is not doing it for personal gain. And I would only hope that Doug would stay in the running if he feels he is justified in taking the award.

Doug is the ONLY one who knows the how's why's and what's of that day, and the ONLY one to be the judge of whether or not he should be awarded for it.

We were not there and I do not want to pass judgement and seem as if I feel Doug was at fault for any of it. It will not change the outcome.

03-28-2007, 12:39 AM
You people who are bashing Doug are extremely unprofessional and judgemental. I believe your feelings are status quo as are most people's. I would NEVER dream of leaving any of my fellow LEO's in a situation like that, and would rather die out there then to face anyone after an ordeal like that. However, the truth is NONE of you know what you would do in that situation. The luxury ERT has is they know what the suspect has the potential for and what he has done. They have more information on their target than Matt and Doug both did.

Face it folks, the suspect was a marksman trained in Guerilla warfare and survival. We are not! Doug did what he thought was right. It is probably harder for him to have seen what he did and deal with this EVERYDAY. I support Doug. We would all like to say we know what we would do, but the truth is WE DON'T as we have not been put in that same scenario. Training at the S.O. has NEVER shown me the same scenarios as that. There are problems with the canine units tracking general order. All misdemeanors should be done off lead and in addition should be a scenario where a they can "bite" (using judgement obviously). I am sick that everyone is quick to MONDAY MORNING QUARTERBACK and judge Doug's actions. There are numerous stories and theories and until I find out the TRUTH (which I would only find out from talking to GOD) then I will support Doug. There are only three people who know the truth. One is Doug and the other two are dead. Truth is, it can happen to ANY OF US.

03-28-2007, 12:51 PM
Right on, Guest99 ... I have no problem supporting Doug and having him at my side in a bad situation. I've supported him since that day and will continue to do so. Matt would do the same!

And Doug ... don't let the b***ards get you down, bro!

03-28-2007, 08:19 PM
This needs to stop now.

(1) Angilo Freeland Shot & Killed Matt

The Ledger Reports:

...the two fatal shots - a close range shot behind his right ear and another at his right temple - were fired with 27-year-old Freeland's 9mm handgun...

Full Story is @ http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070309/NEWS/703090354&SearchID=73276357489553

(2) The shots contributed to Doug Speirs were NOT life threatening

...Two of the shots, found in Williams' leg, may have been fired by Deputy Doug Speirs while he was exchanging gunfire with Freeland.

Doug Speirs did not kill Matt. Also, if Doug did shoot Matt while he was alive that would suck horribly. But Matt would have recovered. Matt would not have died from a simple flesh wound. If Doug shot Matt after he was dead, then that means nothing. Freeland needed to be stopped.

The simple truth is that anyone reading this post WAS NOT in the woods. Two of the Three people in the woods died. We do not know what happened. We have NO witnesses to any cowardice. But we do have evidence to dispute that Doug Speirs is a coward.

(1) Doug went into the woods.
(2) Doug did not run or hide. Doug was hit in the leg. He was standing up when he was shot. Doug was engaged in a fire fight with the suspect.

Doug did not turn his back on his friend - instead he tried to help him.

This needs to stop now. Doug is not the suspect. Doug is not the one to blame. Freeland is the suspect. Freeland did not have to run. Freeland did not have to carry a gun. Freeland did not have to shoot Matt. Freeland did not have to EXECUTE Matt with a shot to the head.

One man caused the chain of events to unfold. Why don't you focus on him and not Doug.

Doug is a hero. Doug was shot. Doug is still on the Job. Doug is definately not a coward.

03-28-2007, 11:37 PM
Well stated, Guest Deputy! And I agree! It takes guts to put that uniform back on and get into that car again after that! I'm not sure I could do it myself, to be brutally honest! I was very close to the situation and it affected me greatly as it was!

03-30-2007, 12:49 AM
Doug is lazy...he has always been lazy...and unfortunately, he always will be (SRMunchkin can probably attest to that as well). I have seen first-hand what happens when suspects "run" from Doug. He doesn't chase them. He simply stands there..lights up a cigarette..calls for back-up..and then hopes his back-up units will catch his suspect for him. I know...iv'e had to catch at least one bad guy for Doug in just that manner. That's why I have such heartburn with what happened. Knowing Doug, that's probably what happened in this case. Either that or when Doug actually did go into the woods with Matt (very surprising in the first place), he SOON got tired (how many packs you smoke a day Doug? How much cardio do you do Doug?) and fell behind which left an unacceptable gap in between them for Doug to be of any real use to Matt as his cover guy, especially in woods that thick. Bottom Line, Doug survived. Mere survival doesn't qualify someone as a hero. It's what you do WHILE you are surviving that makes you a hero....and I don't consider walking back to your patrol car leaving your partner in the woods to be anything heroic.
Before any of you bash me for my comments, take a look around briefing sometime. I'd say 80% or more of the deputies we have are overweight and couldn't fight a suspect for more than 15-20 seconds before being totally exhausted or run for more than 50 yards without having to stop. It's pathetic. If you are one of those deputies, yes, that means that you are pathetic too! How will you be able to help your fellow deputies in their time of need when you are not physically able to? Think about it...then put the Cheetos, Pepsi and marlboros down and get to running. If you don't want to do that for yourself, you at least owe it to your partners who depend on you to "be there" for them when they need you. If that's not enough to convince you, you should retire NOW because you are of no use to any of the others of us who have dedicated our lives to saving others (and who are physically able to do so).

03-31-2007, 01:40 AM
AKA if you truly knew doug.. You woudn't have to guess if he was over weight..NO he is not anything that you posted nice job in pretending... You HAVE NO CLUE DO YOU...he is not anything that you have posted and NO not most of the deputys are overweight here.. That shows that you do
do not work for us but nice try... :twisted: :lol:

04-01-2007, 12:32 AM
ok u moron, if u work for us hope i do not see u. because u are as low as they come. we have a god given profession and ur comments just sent u straight to hell.

04-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Dude, I had to re-read that comment... "a God Given Profession"? Come on now... did you major in Drama?

I respect those who deserve respect, and those who give respect as well. I know of those who believe when they have a gun strapped onto them they are God, above reproach. It is their way or the highway. I believe that officers (whether city, county or state) do deserve respect, but I have met some along the way who are arrogant, pompous and have done nothing if anything, to deserve a teaspoon of respect.

The entire situation is a horrible nightmare, an innocent man and his partner/dog lost their lives.... Angelo Freeman did that.... as far as what Doug did or did not live.. that is something that he will have to live with for the rest of his life. I am sure it is not easy to be in his shoes reading all this (as I'm sure he is) and living daily knowing that people think of him in this manner. Matt and his faithful Diogi will be forever the TRUE Heros.

As far as the comment regarding physical fitness, I feel there is definitely something to say..... ALL officers should have yearly physicals as well as being checked off in all aspects of their job. I would surely hate to NEED help and it be some overweight, out of shape officer who COULD'NT do his/her job. You are paid to do a job, and if you are not physically fit for it, then you are taking money doing a job that you are not fit to do. Some occupations require a degree of physical fitness... and law enforcement is definitely one of those.

I am not in law enforcement, but I do have an opinion (as all do). I am a Registered Nurse, and over the years, have came into contact with many officers, in my professional duties, as well as on the road and in "real" life.

My hat is off to those who perform their jobs because they TRULY want to help keep the world a safer and gentler place. To those who are doing the "job" for a paycheck? Tsk tsk tsk! And I know you exist.. just like in my own profession, there are those who care and are truly dedicated, and there are those who are there for the paycheck.

TO those who are doing the job? go away. To those who are living and doing the profession? YAY.... you are respected!!!!!!!!!

04-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Well, I see that nothing changes here. One thing that won't with me is who I take on tracks. I will continue to take Doug Speirs with me as I have in the past. Doug is one of many I have taken with me and "He does keep up!" There are those who can't. All of you with this Doug Bashing garbage need to stop. YOU are embarassing all of us and Matt's memory.

Matt didn't want this and I know that. He would of wanted to be the one in those woods no matter what. Matt is a Hero and leaves his legacy to us. Matt and Doug met a 1%er in those woods that day. Pure evil in my mind. Good or bad, any of the K-9 Teams would of met the same fate. Freeland is in Hell where he belongs, Matt and DiOGi are in Heaven. Matt wanted to be with each of us and I know he is with me and every person who works in this job.

Sometimes we get to pick the people we want to take on tracks. That is not always true. None of you know what you'd do in Doug's shoes. Doug is a survivor and I'm glad of that. I'm glad I didn't have to burry any more friends. I know one thing for sure, Doug is my friend. Doug was Matt's friend too. Every time something goes bad cops want to pick it apart. It's part of our nature so that we can remind ourselves not to make those same mistakes. None of us are perfect and maybe you shold look inside youself. We all know people in this job we think don't pull their load but Doug is not one of them.

The bottom line is, if you think you can be apart of the solution then we are all ears. If not shut the hell up! Continue to train for those 1%ers, so when your time comes you can be a survivor. However, if it's your time, then it's your time. Amen, Jimbo and Cowboy!!!!!

Paul Leslie & K-9 Halo

04-03-2007, 05:18 AM
You know Paul, I am glad we aren't judged by most people on here. Especially AKA me again because everyone involved that day would be done for.

Doug you are an excellent D/S and do NOT listen to what people say about you. You are a good friend and you are good at what you do. I support you to the fullest.

04-03-2007, 07:11 AM
I find your comments disheartening.

I suppose it’s easier to blame the living than the dead. I suppose those of you blaming Doug for this tragedy are doing so because Doug is the only survivor from that day and you want answers. I wish I knew everything that happened that day too but in the absence of complete detail I will not speculate and publicly denounce a good deputy. Doug is a good deputy, the fact that he works traffic is irrelevant. If he were truly a completely lazy deputy, it is doubtful that tragic traffic stop would have even occurred.

Matt told us all each track was dangerous; each track was an ambush in the making. Matt did his best to teach us this because he knew being a handler increases your chances of a life or death situation ten fold. Matt died working a dog, I can’t imagine him going any other way because he was devoted dog lover and a great handler. I agree with Nancy, we lost our best that day. Doug survived, and I am glad for him. Matt’s death has no sense, and to rant and pose Doug should have died too is equally senseless. Before Sept 28, it was common for a handler to run tracks alone. Matt commented on it during our patrol school. Doug went into those woods to support Matt, not to leave him to die.

Matt and Diogi’s death solidified the support for law enforcement from the civilian community of Polk County. Why can’t we come together as an agency? There is no reason to take shots at traffic or other units. We all have our jobs here, and employment at PCSO is voluntary, no one works here as an indentured servant.

The bottom line is that any handler, any deputy, or any other person who encountered Freeland would have been engaged in a deadly gun battle that day. This bickering back and forth is senseless. It cheapens Matt’s memory and sickens me. Let Matt’s life be the yardstick by which we measure our own and let his death remind us how precious that life is. Be happy that Doug survived and let him carry his scars in peace.

Paul Wright & K9 Riso

04-07-2007, 10:28 PM
What you say is all fine and good. It's sympathetic, non-judgemental, and humane. I admire that ability. I also respect your opinions. However, you need to respect mine. If you enter this profession, you'd better have some guts. This work DEMANDS bravery. It's not an option that we can be willing to compromise. By saying that we should celebrate one deputies survival over another's, is simply a compromise that makes one death easier to accept. No death is acceptible. What we really need to learn from this, is to teach ALL our people to survive. Part of that survival is teaching them to back each other up!! No freaking excuses for those who fail to do so.

You "compassionate souls" who wish to lay a guilt trip on those of us who question what happened that day, can save your energy. I agree, anyone dealing with Freeland that day, might well have died. But the actions of Matt's partner could have been drastically different. They might have even saved Matt, but we'll never know, will we? The chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Well, by making excuses for inaction, misaction, and even non-action, you make our chain much weaker than it needs to be. If we don't examine that day, then we won't learn anything from it. Take your emotions out of the equation, and learn from that event. We don't do social work. This isn't a gentle, easy profession. We're in the business of dealing with cold, hard facts, and the harshness of life. So get tough, or get out!

This isn't horseshoes, people. Getting it close to right doesn't count. Being in a position to be brave isn't the same thing as being brave. I don't give points for trying and failing, and I don't expect to get any either. I respect bravery, not the idea of it. If that makes me too tough, then go ahead and judge me. But you can count on the fact that I will never fail you when things go bad. I say this, because I know it to be true. I've been tested in the field, so I don't just speak from wishes. I speak from experience. I feel sorry for Doug. With all the heat he's catching here, why hasn't he spoken up? It's not like he doesn't have the opportunity. And don't give me the crap that he's too dignified to address the issues that have been brought up here. If I knew what I did was right, I'd want to put the matter to rest way before it got to the point it has here. I'd put it out there, and let everyone here decide what they wanted to believe. I would at least try to save the trust of my fellow officers, instead of hoping it'd all just blow over.

Honor and courage are what this job is all about. If you rationalize your value of those qualities, then you blur the line between heros and cowards. I think Matt is a hero. I think those British soldiers who were just released are cowards, and a disgrace to every other soldier fighting in this war. I admire the FBI for being honest about the agent who was killed by his partner a few days ago. At least they came out with the truth as soon as they knew it, and didn't wait 5 months, putting their own spin on it, to make it sound less damaging. You can bet they will examine that incident, without emotion, to see how they can better save their agents next time something bad happens. How do I feel about Doug Speirs? Good question. He's not a hero. He is a survivor. But in this line of work, that's not enough. If it is for you, then your standards are lower than mine. I don't judge you for that. I just don't like blurred lines. There's a saying that military people live by. It's that "no one gets left behind...no one"!! Matt shouldn't have been left behind. No amount of reasoning will make that fact acceptible.

Take care and be safe.

04-08-2007, 05:49 AM
You speak about cold hard facts, but you have very few. You conjecture on what happened that day and you place the blame on Doug, not the scum who pulled the trigger. Should the two LPD officers have also run off after Freeland to be ambushed? They were engaged by that murderer, and survived. Why do you blame Doug and not them?

I agree this job requires courage. In fact I think that’s about the only thing other than common sense that is a requirement. We are not trying to blur the lines here. The simple fact is we don’t have the facts. I agree it should be examined, but until the truth is known, don’t pass judgment.

You speak of courage but lack the courage to make your identity known. As I read through five pages of postings I see only a few names posted, and they all support Doug. I see three K9 handlers among those names. Cowards cast out daggers from the shadows. At least be decent enough to ridicule Doug in the light of day.

04-08-2007, 11:41 PM
That's a bit of the kettle calling the pot "black", don't you think? I throw the same challenge back to you. I noticed you didn't identify yourself either. I went pretty light on Doug. Blame wasn't an issue. Courage was. You're right. We don't know all the answers about what happened that day. But some judgments can be made, based on what we do know. We do know that Doug shot Matt. We do know that Doug left Matt. And we do know that Doug couldn't even tell anyone where he'd last left Matt, which caused an hour long search in extremely dangerous conditions...putting even more deputies in harms way. If you believe him to be a hero, that's your entitled opinion. My requirements for hero status are a bit higher. If you disagree, that's fine. I'm not asking you to agree with me, just respect my opinions as being different from your own. As for the two LPD officers who also engaged Freeland, that's a poor comparison, and doesn't deserve a response. Their actions were appropriate to the situation they were confronted with. They did the right thing. They didn't run from Freeland, and they didn't leave each other behind.

As for the people who've identified themselves here, that's fine too. How many of them are on the promotional list? We all know the brass monitors this site. Doesn't it fall favorably on them to be viewed politically correct, and supportive in this particular issue? It doesn't take a genious to know what side of the fence it's best to be counted on. Get real! Identifying yourself makes you a target, or gives you something to gain. If your comments are true, you don't need to identify yourself. When the truth is at heart, it doesn't need a face. Nice try.

04-09-2007, 01:18 AM
"Guest", get off Doug's a** ... I just thank God that I wasn't placed in that position and you should too. It is what it is. If you don't like the man then don't associate with him. And I could give a d**n about being promoted here. I just want to survive this bulls**t and get the hell outta here and live the remainder of my life in peace where people give a d**n about their community if such a place exists.

04-09-2007, 05:35 PM
We do know that Doug shot Matt. We do know that Doug left Matt. And we do know that Doug couldn't even tell anyone where he'd last left Matt, which caused an hour long search in extremely dangerous conditions...putting even more deputies in harms way. If you believe him to be a hero, that's your entitled opinion. My requirements for hero status are a bit higher. If you disagree, that's fine. I'm not asking you to agree with me, just respect my opinions as being different from your own. Get real! Identifying yourself makes you a target, or gives you something to gain. If your comments are true, you don't need to identify yourself. Nice try.

Very well said. You have more people than you know who feel the exact same way.

04-10-2007, 12:08 AM
Not to change the subject. Does anyone know why Matt doesn't have a tombstone yet?

We have all worked VERY HARD on his fundraisers for him and his family..We visit his grave quite often. I feel he deserves a tomb stone.

Does anyone know if the sheriff's office plans to purchase one for him? It's going on the seventh month and yet he still doesn't have one.

I am sure it is in the works. I was just wondering... :)

04-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Well, I respect all your opinions. However, by hidding your names I think you are a coward in my view. No better than Angelo Freeland. The Fact is that HE hid his name as well. I was in the woods with SWAT that day looking for Matt. Where were you? We did not leave, Doug did not leave Matt behind. He was found. Who made the rule that only one officer has to go on a track? There is none! Two is one, one is none. We are not sympathetic but NOTHING you say will bring back Matt. Trauma does crazy things to a person. If you Talk the Talk you better Walk the walk.

He didn't ask you to fight this battle for him. Here's a thought, he died protecting Doug so he could be a survivor. That's why K-9 is always up front. That's why we are a special breed of cop. Like SWAT we volunteer for this and we know the end could be the same. We go out there day after day, night after night to protect your worthless behind. Maybe we should stop bashing Doug and worry about the one's who are alive. They are the one's we need to save. What about the SWAT guy's who had to take a life? While I am Glad Freeland is dead, they had to do it. The answers are there and unless you are Doug, you don't know the facts.

As for that unidentified person who said that he was in "NAM" you discrace my fathers memory. YOU did leave people behind, POW/MIA you will never be forgotten. Ring any bells you turd? We still have people that have never come home! Remember how you were treated when you came home? I guess we all should of believed what they said about you. Think it was "baby killers." I for one don't believe that crap, nor do I believe the crap about Doug.

Anytime any of you want to chat face to face, I'm here. Home or at work, you know where to find me. I venture a guess that you will all remaine spinless little people. God called um Serpents! I wouldn't call you pond scum. You ignorant unidentified 10-37's can continue to hide behind the radio. We will coninue to strive for perfection, even though we will never obtain it. Learn from the mistakes so that we will not make them again. K-9 and SWAT have! We are working together, not against each other. You want Hero's, look no further than SWAT. They are my Hero's along with Matt and DiOGi. If we train the way we always have then we will be what we have always been! Matt is my friend and will live forever. STOP THE MADNESS! "FACT"

Yes, there will be a head stone. Nancy and the family are wanting it perfect for Matt. They were having some trouble with the company, getting it right. Have no worries. All the thanks from her any of you should need is the sacrafice of her Husband. Stop whining about thank you's.

Paul Leslie & K-9 Halo

04-11-2007, 02:09 AM
Paul,

I honestly don't know ALL of the facts so i will keep this short,

1) If doug put rounds down range blindly then that was VERY bad. especially when he knew matt was down range as well... if that is true then i doubt anyone will want him backing them up in a sticky situation...

2) I dont think either way it would have ended much differently but if doug shot matt then he lessened his chances of a positive outcome many fold against freeland.

3) I don't know if people are cowards or if they are worried that challenging the official story might cost them their jobs. I would hope more so worry about their future employment than cowardice.

I know i am a civiallian and as such my opinion means A LOT less than if i were sworn, but please understand that many of them are trying to wrap their heads around the idea that doug may have hobbled matt more or less making him a very easy target for freeland, and then he is honored as a hero...

I think for some that is a very bitter pill to swallow.

once again i dont know all of the facts in the case so i will reserve the right to retract anything that is wrong with what i have said. but i hope maybe you can trust other agency members are less cowards than worried about retribution for voicing a desenting opinion.

04-11-2007, 03:52 AM
I AM THE VIETNAM VET YOU WERE ADRESSING. I LEFT AN E-MAIL ADDRESS FOR SPEIRS TO CONTACT ME...WHICH HE EXERCISED HIS OPTION TO DECLINE. DULY NOTED. I EXTEND THAT INVITATION TO YOU ALSO, MR. LESLIE. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME AT: SRMUNCHKIN@AOL.COM, SHOULD YOU DESIRE TO TALK IN PERSON.
I AM ASSUMING YOU WANT A REASONABLE DIALOG AS OPPOSED TO BICKERING OR ARGUING....YOU SEEM A LEVEL ABOVE THAT.

BTW....THE TROOPS ON THE GROUND DID NOT ABANDON THE POW/MIA'S....WASHINGTON DID.....

04-11-2007, 05:33 PM
after further review (speaking with a few people who know more about this than i do)

I will say that my opinion of the situation is not nearly as grave as i thought yesterday. While my own personal opionion is that we have MANY more people worthy of the title hero than doug, i no longer think he may have done anything inappropriate. I do appologize to doug for going off with only half the information,

Why dont we nominate someone else from the agency as well for this like Sgt. Stevenson? The number of times he has put himself directly and intentionally in harms way to defend and protect others certainly makes him a hero in my book. and, I can say that without question.

04-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Hey, Paul L. ...

Is it just me, or is it kind of difficult to envision a battle hardened Vietnam veteran of soooo many bloody firefights and deadly hand to hand life and death conflicts in the jungles of southeast Asia calling himself ... "Munchkin"???

NW Deputy

04-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Paul Leslie,
To claim that you respect everyone's opinions here, then turn around and compare us to Angelo Freeland shows your true feelings...and obvious lack of respect for those who don't think like you. If you support Doug Speirs, and trust his bravery, that's great. But not all of us feel that way. Some of us have questions about what happened on that day. Until those questions are sufficiently answered, we will remain guarded in labelling him a "hero". You don't have to agree with us. And don't worry, I would never compare you to Angelo Freeland, simply for disagreeing with me. I have more class than to stoop that low. If you wish to support Doug, try to do it with a little more respect for those who are less certain of his actions. Some of the people you just insulted will, no doubt, be your backup from time to time. And for the record, Doug DID leave Matt out there. I was there that day too.

As for your comments on Viet Nam, were you even alive during that war? I was. I KNOW what it was like for the soldiers coming home then, and what it was like in this country during and after that war. Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about.

Where your views on Doug are concerned, you are entitled to your opinions without fear of being subjected to degrading name calling. Those of us who feel differently, deserve no less. Based of some of your last comments, I would think your supporters would be embarrassed to have you as their voice. Much of what you had to say, could and should have been said with more class and dignity. Had it been, we might have taken it more seriously.

And MattIT...nice input. Too bad you can't make up your mind.

"Guest"

04-13-2007, 01:33 AM
Paul, I feel that I must comment on your opinion. As you wrote, we are all entitled to our opinions, so since I took the time to read yours, please read mine. I, however, do not feel the same as you. Just because someone decides to be a 'guest' does not mean that they are coward in nature. It just simply means that though they want to be heard, they may not want the recourse of their thoughts ESPECIALLY on a very touchy situation like this. This subject triggers a lot of emotion within a large amount of people. We lost one of our best comrades we will ever have, and he will be truly missed. I have known Matt since I was 14 and in Explorers, and he's tried many times to get me to go to K9, but my heart is in Traffic Homicide.

Though I'm not with SWAT and though I'm not in K9, I ran 1018 from East Lake Wales to Kathleen Road as fast as I could along with many others throughout that awful day to look for a subject who decided to take the actions he did. I stood on perimeter til the wee hours of the morning and I pulled a 18+ hour shift that day because I wanted Matt's killler found as bad as EVERYONE else in not only the agency, but in this county and state. I didnt sleep for two days because my mind was racing with what happened, what ifs, the news media coverage, etc. But yes it all started with a concealed name and escalated from there.

If you truly believe Doug did or did not leave Matt, please ask Doug yourself. I'm sure when I get the courage up one day Doug, I will ask Doug what happened that day. All this is speculation and rumours until I hear the true account of what happened from the person who was there himself. There are a large amount of people that collaborate the same thing, however, they were not actually there. As much skeptism I have, I will wait until I hear it from you (Doug) yourself. But Doug, I will still back you up, I will still have you as my back up, and I will still be a partner. We are not trained for situations like that and I do not condemn you on that. I pray that the training we will get on ALERT will help us more in our field of work.

There is no rule on who or how many run track. I hope that it something the Sheriff's Office changes. But, you can never have enough units!! I enjoy running track with the K9 units I track with and I will tell you why. I know if I am there, then I know they will be okay, and I will protect them as best I can. I always go by the saying, if I want things done right, I will do it myself.

K9 runs a risk of this, like Paul Wright said. However, with the training that we will hopefully be getting, hopefully many more deputies will learn if they are a fight deputy, or a flight deputy if they take the training seriously. I work traffic, and unfortunately, traffic stops are one of the leading causes of Officer deaths in this country. This tragic event stemmed from a traffic stop. Does this run in my mind on every traffic stop I do, yes. It should run in everyone's mind the worst possible scenario before responding to every call. That way you are mentally prepared for the worst and nothing becomes routine.

Please dont tell me how special you are because you're K9 and you protect my worthless behind. You are up front because you have the dog and I dont want to be bit in the butt in the dark by your dog because he thinks I'm the suspect. I dont want him tracking my scent, I want him tracking the scent of the suspect to apprehend him. Besides, dogs, as cruel as this sounds and owning a dog myself, are more expendible (SIC) then a human. And do not worry, just because I dont have a dog, I will still back you up in a heartbeat. I have a duty belt the S.O. gives me to protect myself, the citizens of this county, and my partners.

I do this profession because I want to, its something I love doing and I have always wanted to do. I work for the Polk County Sheriff's Office in particular because this is the agency I have always wanted to be employed with and I will always be employed with until they tell me to leave or I'm too damn old to do it anymore. I sometimes may not agree with some of the things we do, but, this agency is always changing, trying to adapt to our ever changing society to accomodate the needs of our county. We all have a choice to work at any agency we want to. If it is so bad here, theres always another, or another field of work. But being a deputy sheriff is what I want to do. I put in a lot of hours being a Traffic Deputy and working fatals as you do putting in the hours training your dog and becoming one unit.

I have started going back to school to get my BA because I would maybe one day like to be a supervisor. If my opinions on this gets me 'in' or 'out' of being a Sergeant, I dont care. I felt that your opinions of calling me a worthless behind, insulted me enough to write a second time on this. And as you will tell at the bottom of this, I will put my name, I have nothing to hide from you or anyone. I have many k9 friends and I know the hard work and time they put into their dogs and their particular unit. Just because someone doesnt want to be k9, you shouldnt call them worthless. Some like working the streets, some like COPS, some like traffic, warrants, etc. But because they dont think like you doesnt mean they arent up to par. I met you for the first time a week or so ago, and it wasnt even face to face. So if that was my first time meeting you, it was the first time you met me. So please do not judge me until you know me.

But after reading everyone's comments and opinions, I believe that if Doug was ever in that situation again, I bet you he would know what to do because he has been in that situation before. I have, fortunately so far, not been, so I cannot judge what I would do until I'm in that situation. I can tell you what I would do in ramming car jacking suspects and deranged people in cars because I have been.

I have no problem meeting you in person or anything Leslie. Like you, I have nothing to hide. But please dont call people spineless until you know them. They have their right to voice their opinion even if they dont want to attach their name to it. Nothing is wrong with that.

And do not pick on dispatchers, as much as I complain about some, I been half (complaint taking, not dispatching) in their shoes and wouldnt want their job for anything. It is a lot harder then you think. Why dont you sit there for a month and take calls from people who arent very happy and try to keep up with 20+ people at a time.

EVERYONE continues to strive to be their best at their position as they can be. Fortunately in this agency, it is big enough, that if you do not like what you are doing, you can always transfer. You are not perfect Leslie and neither am I. I have a lot of friends on SWAT not only in this agency but in other agencies in and out of this county, including one that is my best friend. They are a special degree of a cop, I agree, but like you said, all voluntary. I do not wish to volunteer for SWAT. Does that make me 'worthless' again???

My mother always taught me if you write something while angry, it will come to bite you in the end.

Im not commenting on your Vietnam issue because I wasnt there. My father was. I showed him what you wrote. He stated he didnt leave anyone behind, he did though, what he was told. Little thing called insubordination and dishonorable discharge that wouldnt get you hired back then. But I can tell you the soldiers that day are still fighting a mental battle as the soldiers that are fighting in Iraq. I choose to fight the fight in this county and to keep this country safe from the inside as soldiers for our US Government sacrifice themselves to keep our country free to address our First Amendment Right like you and I did on this forum.

I wish you luck. I have no ill will toward you, but I will humourously leave this reply,

Your worthless behind partner thats not K9 or SWAT,
Laura McManus

04-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Yes, I was alive as I sure you know from looking up my personal information. Galen F. Humphrey, GySgt, USMC, NVN 1966 "Left Behind" I wear it everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look it up! My father was USMC and was there from 1966 to 1968 and part of 1969. I was fortunate he came home. No, you don't have to be K-9 or SWAT. In fact you don't have to like Doug. Just respect him. I don't care if you don't feel he is a hero. No one ever asked for you to feel that he is a hero., just to stop bashing him. "Angelo Freeland" EXECUTED Matt. I saw where he ambushed Matt and DiOGi. "Fox Hole" That's what he was in, so I can see why the rounds went where they did. If you want to think of it as a "Conspiracy Therory" go right ahead. With those views you'll be in good company. Laura, feel free to come chat. Opinions are like rear ends, everyone has one and they all smell. Oh and I will keep on supporting Doug. Hope you never need to be supported here. God forbid they treat you the same way. Matt would NEVER have attacked Doug like you have. Make sure that degree is in B.S.

Paul Leslie & K-9 Halo

04-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Well, I hadn't bothered to look up your personnel data until you mentioned it. Quite frankly, I didn't care enough to do it. But I like a challenge, so I did. You "were there" during the Viet Nam time? How is that possible? You were born in December of 1972. The last American troops left Viet Nam in 1973. If, as you say, your dad served there in 1967-1969, you weren't born until nearly 4 years after he came home. In that respect, I guess you are lucky he came home! Otherwise, you might not exist. As I said before, you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to Viet Nam. You might know what you've been told, or what you've read, but you don't "know" anything. So let's cut the drama.

Ya know, I have nothing aginst you, or the fact that you support Doug Speirs. That's fine. Everyone should have some sort of support in tough times. But you do strike me as emotional, angry, and quite childish in your approach to opposing opinions. You're mad because we don't all agree with you. You're mad because we're "picking on poor Doug", and you're mad because we don't all identify ourselves. Well, life just doesn't always go the way we want it to. Get over it! I really would like to carry on some intelligent dialog here with you, but I'm not seeing much to work with. You demand respect, but you return it with insults and name calling. McManus even tried to approach you in an attitude of good will, and an attempt to reach some understanding. But you response with a vulgar, gutter style comment that is so lacking in originality, that it's not even funny anymore.

Well, I have to say that you did accomplish one thing here. You wanted to take the focus off Doug, and you did. Unfortunately, you've placed it on your own weak-minded, self-involved agenda. I guess some people just have to be in the spotlight, no matter what the topic is. But it's time to return to the real topic...or end it. We were discussing courage, and we were questioning the actions of 09-28-2006. If you think you "know" what happened that day, and you're comfortable with the answers you've got, then that's just wonderful. I'm happy for ya. But not all of us feel the same as you. We need more answers than what you're willing to settle for. So until we get them, I guess we should just agree to disagree. You have your views, and we have ours. It would be too tempting to stoop to your level, and resort to name calling or worse. But that's not appropriate here, in this venue.

If we expect to be treated with dignity, we first must display dignity. If you really had been around during Viet Nam, you might have learned a little something about dignity from the troops who came home from that war. They held their heads high in times of conflict, when opposing opinions were everywhere they went. If something as insignificant as this thread can cause you to get so worked up, I can't imagine what a real life-altering event would do. Some people are just drama queens by nature, I guess. The rest of us are satisfied debating the topic in a respectful, open-minded manner.

Laura, don't worry about him. You're the best in my book! Be safe!

04-13-2007, 06:52 PM
WELL SAID, GUEST....AND YOU TOO, LAURA!! GOD BLESS AND BE SAFE! 8)

04-13-2007, 08:34 PM
Cool new level! Posting personal information you gained from a S.O. computer data base! I only mentioned my fathers dates of service to one person and it was not on this site. So "GUEST" and SRMUNCHKIN since you seem to be one in the same or a buddy. While leaving my name was my choice, DOB's and personal information is private. Have no fear action will follow.

04-13-2007, 10:19 PM
You must not really know me "Guest." Laura, you are right in some regards. I am emotioanal about some issues. I am angry, upset and mad. You bet I am. Some puke took one of my best friends away. One of the finest men I have ever known. Like Jim Bryan, he was a mentor to me. Matt never judged anyone. He would just listen and make his opinion. I fall short there. I am not perfect by any stretch of imagination. Unless you are Jesus then no one is there. I saw things that day I hoped never to see and hope never to see again. I know that if I had been tracking that day, I'd of met the same fate.

I'm not saying Doug is a hero. It's ok to question events, but not at the expense of bashing someone because the answers to your questions are not what you need to hear. I will trust in Doug until I see evidence that says otherwise. Pushing him over the edge is not the answer. Those repercussions could be felt by many if that happens. If taking aim at me is better for you "Guest" then so be it. No worries here. I'll take my lumps but remember as well, "Beware the Ides of March." By the way this is my opinion. Not K-9, the S.O. or anyone in particular. I speak for no one but me. Bla, bla, bla!!!!!!!!!!! I think I have made my point as you have yours.

04-13-2007, 10:30 PM
You were the one who opened the door, dramatizing your knowledge of events that happened before you were born. If you think the month and year of your birth is "personal information", try again. It's public record. As far as I know, SRMunchkin and I have never met. But that's of no importance. Again, the focus shifts to you, huh? Well, if you think you have a leg to stand on, take action. You put your own father's service information here, and you want to whine about a month/year reference? I don't know which is worse, a coward or a whiner. If it makes you feel better about yourself, make the call. I'll get the tissues for you. You're a real piece of work, buddy. The K9 unit must be proud.

04-13-2007, 11:47 PM
I just read back through the last couple of pages of this thread, and don't like the turn this topic has taken. Even less, I like the fact that I allowed myself to bite the bait thrown out by others. I allowed myself to be dragged down to a level below the dignity of many here, by buying into the childish, dramatic rantings of one person. I'd hoped this would be a mature discussion, or debate, among mature men and women. I think it started out that way, but derailed somewhere along the way. So I'm done. We will never have the answers about what happened the day Matt and DiOGi were killed. Sadly, we will all have to just wonder, and hope that his death was swift. I hate to think that he suffered for long.

As for you, Paul, I don't know you very well. If your posts here are any indication of your personality, that may not be an altogether bad thing. I have a feeling that we don't think on the same level. I respect that you can trust Doug Speirs, and not question his actions. I can't. Would I back him up? Of course I would. Would I have him over for a cook out? No. That's just how it is. I don't "blame" him for Matt's death, but I certainly believe he could have done more to help Matt...even if it'd only been to stay with him while he died.

I'm not going to continue to spar with you over things that don't apply to this topic. It's gone off track enough. It's time to get it back on course, or end it. After nearly 100 posts, we've pretty much exhausted the subject.
For the record, you laid out your father's war record here yourself...including his name and dates of service. I'm curious as to how you could forget that. Anyway, if you're offended that I called you on the authenticity of your details, and you want to reduce this to complaining because I used the month and year of your birth...do what you gotta do.

As I said before, YOU were the one who opened that door, not me. It's a matter of public record, so it won't go far. But if you believe it will help you, do it. Oh, not all of us use our agency issued laptops on this forum.
My suggestion...if you can't go the rounds, don't put on the gloves. This is an open forum where pretty much anything goes. I don't like a lot of what is said here, but the last thing I'd do is whine about it. Since I participate, I can take the hits that come my way. I guess some people can't. What's the real issue here? Is it Paul Leslie, or what happened on September 28, 2006?

04-14-2007, 04:00 AM
I have been reading all these posts and have to agree with Cowboy and Jim Bryan. And I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I truly doubt we will ever know what went on that fateful day in September. A) because in stressful situations, you tend to block certain things from your mind. I doubt Doug could even remember what happened. Please dont take this as defending Doug, I have my own opinions I will keep to myself. And don't confuse that with riding the fence. Silence is often misuderstood, but never misquoted. B) The two other people that do know what/how things transpired are dead. One is in heaven and the other is burning in hell.

Most of what everyone knows is from hearsay. A few people are privy to the exact locations of Matt's injuries and unless you were in attendance at the autopsy, you will never know. Yes, Matt was hit in the leg, buttocks and back. However, do you know if they were true entry/exit wounds or were they fragments? A lot of Doctors I know as well as EMT's and Paramedics can't tell an entry wound from an exit.

There are certain undisputable facts to this whole scenario. First and foremost is a great man; call him Deputy, Friend, Husband, Father, is dead. I've known Matt since he started at the agency and feel he would hope this tragedy would serve as a reminder to everyone to be safe. No one can train for ambush. And I'm sure he would be appalled to hear how member's of his own department are sniping back and forth.

I have been doing this job for 20+ years and have had the pleasure of working in many different areas and with a lot of great people. We all have our own special gifts and no unit is any better than another. We are all cogs in the wheel.

I understand everyone's anguish over this tragedy and agree that you need to vent, however, a public forum like this might not be the best place to do it.

Everyone in this county, let alone this state saw how the law enforcement community came together for a brother. Let's not let them see how we snipe at each other. We work for an agency that has come a long way and unfortunately, some of you younger guys/girls don't remember what it was like in the Dan Daniels days when you couldn't be proud of the agency you worked for.

If you don't want to nominate Doug, that's your perogative, but I'm sure the man is dealing with more than any of us can imagine.

To Laura, thanks for what you do; to Paul, thanks also for what you do; and to srmunchkin..... "welcome home, brother"...... I know you didn't get any of that when you came back from 'Nam.

God Bless All of Us..... it's a thankless job and we do it because we love it

[/i]

04-17-2007, 06:49 AM
I have a response to a few of the recent post.

The question about the headstone,... yes... there is a headstone that has been purchased by myself and paid for back in Oct of 2006, thanks to all of the fundraisers that were done in my husbands honor... As Paul stated, it has to be perfect, Matt deserves no less... When the company is able to produce the headstone that WE (myself and all of you that have supported any fundraiser held for the benefit of my husband) paid for, it will then be placed for all to see. It is important to me that is the best of the best... I want it out there as bad as any one of you... if not more...my current goal is to have it out there before Sept 28th, 2007... hopefully sooner...

I do appreciate everything that everyone has done in my husbands honor... I am sorry that I have not been able to get those words written on the thank you cards and mailed, I am working on them... it just makes things so final... and I am not ready for final yet... I hope that in time I will be, all of you deserve to get a thank you from me.... and I will strive to make sure each and everyone of you get a thank you from me, and if I miss someone, please forgive me... I tried to keep good records, I have just received so much, most of which was during the early months to follow the loss of my husband, that I very well may have missed recording all the gifts received.

In reference to all the opinions of what really happened that day, I have already stated how I feel on an earlier date in this forum. My feelings, although very mixed and irrational at times, still remain basically the same as before.....I want to know the facts myself... but the facts will not bring my husband back.... please don't take away from what my husband died for... he died to protect the citzens of Polk County..... he died, with honor, working for an agency that he believed in, working with coworkers that he believed in.... he died, so that others could live, to include Doug, the children at the nearby schools, the people that live in the community around those woods, and all of the leo's in the USA... ..... everyone has the right to their own opinion, please just make sure that you realize what words can to do a person...... I am full of anger, just as all of you are.... anger is an ugly thing... and is not fun to live with.. please dont let that anger hurt those that stand for the same thing that my husband stood for.... to protect and serve the citzens of Polk County to the best of their human abilities....

In loving memory of my husband Matt Williams
With much respect and appreciation to all who have supported my family and the Law Enforcement Officers that serve and protect us daily.
Mrs. Nancy Williams

04-23-2007, 07:06 PM
CST
tHANKS FOR THE "WELCOME HOME" IT IS APPRICIATED MORE THAN YOU CAN EVER KNOW, AND MORE THAN I CAN EXPRESS.

GOD BLESS AND BE SAFE

04-29-2007, 02:07 PM
I WENT TO THE LOCATION WHERE MATT WAS KILLED. AFTER COMPARING THE CONTOURS OF THE LAND, THE DISPATCH RECORDING,
PRESS RELEASES, AND SPEARS STATEMENT, IT STILL DOES NOT JIVE. I'M FINISHED WITH IT: I FOUND MY ANSWERS. LIVE WITH IT, SPEARS....YOU SHOULD BE VERY ADEPT AT CONCEALING YOUR ACTIONS BY NOW.

PROUD TO HAVE KNOWN YOU MATT......

04-30-2007, 12:25 AM
quit bothering Doug ... he's too busy sitting in the office doing NOTHING

04-30-2007, 05:26 AM
Why don't you guys be more professional about this subject. Be more like the New York State Police who lost a brother in the EXACT same circumstances. A Trooper was killed by friendly fire while looking for a suspect. They ARE NOT crucifying him nor are they second guessing him. Unfortunately things like this happen in life. support the fallen Deputy as well as the the other Deputy involved.

04-30-2007, 11:50 AM
After reading the posts listed here, I have to say they are some of the most immature writings I have came across. To constantly blame someone for something such as this, knowing in your heart, he would not have done it on purpose is very childish. This happened very quickly. Mistakes happen. Don't keep blaming him. He feels bad enough as it is. Put yourself in his place. Would you want to go through this? You weren't there and you didn't experience what he did. Quit quarterbacking after the fact.

04-30-2007, 12:26 PM
I agree ... drop it already ... let's move forward

05-03-2007, 10:23 PM
"be more like the New York State Police" I agree, put all of the information out, the good AND the bad, even if it is in LE restricted setting, study it, tear it down piece by piece, and learn from every bit of it that you possibly can, for the simple fact it might just save the life of someone else.

05-04-2007, 06:54 AM
Exactly, Matt's death needs to be analyzed so that lessons can be learned from it.

05-05-2007, 01:42 AM
For all you bleeding hearts who think we're being too hard on poor Doug, I say go find another site to browse!! If you have read through this thread, as you claim, you'd see that it originally started as an inquiry much more so than a judgment of his actions. We aren't riding him because he shot Matt, though that's pretty bad in and of itself. We understand that some people can't handle the pressure when the crap hits the fan. What we are questioning are his actions, or inactions during the incident that cost Matt and DiOGi their lives. What we are judging is the fact that Doug is so willing to promote himself as a hero, when there are so many unanswered questions still floating around. If you don't like that the rest of us doubt some of the bullsh!$ we've been fed, then go someplace less "immature".

As if the situation weren't bad enough, now we see that Doug was given the purple heart, and Deputy of the Year. He's described as having "assisted Williams and was shot in the leg". Since Doug made the traffic stop, and Matt was his backup, just what was Doug "assisting" Matt to do? How do you "assist" someone by shooting them, running from the scene, and not being able to tell ANYONE where he is?!! Maybe he was assisting Matt by staying with him, and covering him until help arrived. No wait! That didn't happen. Maybe he was assisting Matt by not letting him pass away all alone in the woods. Nope! That's not it either. Gee, I wonder how the spin doctors came up with that can of crap! Doug must live a charmed life, in spite of people like us who dare to question his actions. I would bet he's got some nice, shiney sergeants stripes in his future. Just what we need, another spineless "yes" man in charge of things!

Maybe with this newest award, we won't have to hear anymore about Doug Spiers for awhile. I'm sick of it, as are so many others. I just hope I get half the support he's gotten, if I ever fold under pressure. But then, I would have enough dignity to NOT accept any sort of award for it.

05-06-2007, 01:33 AM
For all you bleeding hearts who think we're being too hard on poor Doug, I say go find another site to browse!! If you have read through this thread, as you claim, you'd see that it originally started as an inquiry much more so than a judgment of his actions. We aren't riding him because he shot Matt, though that's pretty bad in and of itself. We understand that some people can't handle the pressure when the crap hits the fan. What we are questioning are his actions, or inactions during the incident that cost Matt and DiOGi their lives. What we are judging is the fact that Doug is so willing to promote himself as a hero, when there are so many unanswered questions still floating around. If you don't like that the rest of us doubt some of the bullsh!$ we've been fed, then go someplace less "immature".

As if the situation weren't bad enough, now we see that Doug was given the purple heart, and Deputy of the Year. He's described as having "assisted Williams and was shot in the leg". Since Doug made the traffic stop, and Matt was his backup, just what was Doug "assisting" Matt to do? How do you "assist" someone by shooting them, running from the scene, and not being able to tell ANYONE where he is?!! Maybe he was assisting Matt by staying with him, and covering him until help arrived. No wait! That didn't happen. Maybe he was assisting Matt by not letting him pass away all alone in the woods. Nope! That's not it either. Gee, I wonder how the spin doctors came up with that can of crap! Doug must live a charmed life, in spite of people like us who dare to question his actions. I would bet he's got some nice, shiney sergeants stripes in his future. Just what we need, another spineless "yes" man in charge of things!

Maybe with this newest award, we won't have to hear anymore about Doug Spiers for awhile. I'm sick of it, as are so many others. I just hope I get half the support he's gotten, if I ever fold under pressure. But then, I would have enough dignity to NOT accept any sort of award for it.

I believe Angilo Freeman is a hero.

05-06-2007, 06:45 PM
A purple heart for Doug? Okay, I can accept that. He got hurt in the line of duty. No problem. But Deputy Sheriff of the Year??? Absolutely NOT! For what??? If he had any class and dignity whatsoever, which apparently he does NOT, he would've attended that awards ceremony, walked up, and publicly declared that he is not worthy of such an honor and to gave it to Matt's family and children. What a crock of $hit! I have zero respect for the man. Maybe they'll give him more free Bucs tickets this year and a few more free dinners while Nancy struggles to maintain her family and her children without their father! How Nancy can keep from vomiting when she sees Doug get Deputy of the Year i'll never ever know. Now THAT lady has class!

05-09-2007, 06:00 AM
"I would have shot back and not hit a fellow officer" I would have stood my ground" "I would not have ran"

WHAT A BUNCH OF SEASONED COMBAT VETS YOU ALL ARE. ARM CHAIR MONDAY MORNING QUARTERBACKS!!!!!

WHY DONT YOU ALL GET OFF THE COMPUTER AND WRITE TICKETS TO YOUR FELLOW LEO'S WHILE YOUR AT IT .

SCUMBAGS

05-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Seasoned combat vet awarded soldier of the year and silver star medal for shooting thier own troops. Nope, dont remember hearing about that one in the paper. Do you think the Trooper from NY who shot his team member is getting trooper of the year or paraded around? I think not. But dont blame Doug for this, he didnt write up the nomination, he didnt sign off on it, he didnt put himself on the high pedestal, all he did was accept something that should of never been given in the first place. Sincerly, Scumbag.

06-06-2007, 04:44 AM
Holy Krap! I've been out of the loop!

Were Speirs' bullets really found in Matt Williams? OMG!!!!!

06-06-2007, 09:16 AM
You HAVE been outa the loop! :roll:

06-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Tie a knot in the loop and let it die

guestt
06-06-2007, 11:43 PM
a-friggin-men

11-02-2008, 12:07 AM
You are a complete freakin' idiot!!!

11-02-2008, 03:10 PM
AntiJudd you are a complete idiot for saying that on this site. Matt's family has been through enough without morons like you posting lies and rumors.

11-03-2008, 12:47 PM
antijudd,

i'd be happy to resolve any questions you have regarding this subject in person. i work out of the substation near pcc on 98. feel free to come by so we can speak face to face. otherwise,keep your lies to yourself.

pw

11-03-2008, 03:32 PM
antijud------ if you live on the east side come to the lk wales sub i'm sure there are some of us that will talk to you there to...........................................

MOD 1
11-05-2008, 05:01 PM
The AntiJudd poster has had their post deleted and their IP banned for their post violating the Terms of Use.

Mod 1

11-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Free speech and cheap talk... i thought both were protected; or were. Wow....ohhhh yea... welcome to The "change" Obama, aka Barry whatshisname, was talking about, doing away with the constitution.

dispatcher4
01-08-2009, 09:00 PM
A friend of mine told me about this website and this is my first time here and it will probably be my last.

To read some of the things written here, I just want to be ashamed. We've come a long way from the Dan Daniels era. Yes, I've been here that long.

For those that say you have peoples backs ... well you have to be 'wet behind the ears' and have never expierence anything like that. Until you expierence it, you don't know what you are going to do. In a situation like that, you never know what your brain will make your body do. "Never say never, because that's when never will happen."

Before you put something into writing, esspecially the mean, hatefull, and some of the ridiculus things that were written here ... write it down first and think, is that something I would want my child, mother, and/or loved one to read about me. Like Ms. Williams said, her children will eventually read everything that is written about their father. As I've been told through out the years, a little common sense goes a long way.

For those that have said they listened to the tape. I would like to know what you heard. There are those of us that have had to listen to that frontwards and backwards to get times for different investigations. Guess I didn't hear what you did and I really would like to know what I've missed.

It's a shame that God decided to take one of the good guys home with him, esspecially the way he did. There have been changes made since then and probably more coming. Who knows, maybe the man upstairs decided that as an agency we were complacent. We haven't had anything like that since D/S Burnham. Hopefully we'll never have anything like this again.

Since I've decided that most of the writings here, esspecially the ones that say, "I've got your back" have got to be new. Please get with the older deputies that have been here for more than 5 minutes. Learn from them. They're the reason why you don't have shootings and stabbings as a daily occurance in Wahneta/Eloise, the Bible boys are in jail, the Lakewood boys are in jail, Ivory Ln in Lakeland is cleaner than what it used to be, and you don't have to deal with the problems in the Bottoms, Florence Villa, or other areas and/or people. They're the reasons why you have it so easy now. They are part of the reason we are no longer looked at by other agency's as "Po Dunk County". Learn from them before they retire. You have a world of expierence take from it. (Yes, I know most think the older deputies should retire since they're lazy....but they've done their time.)

More for the new ones; you've never had to deal with someone being shot between the eyes at the El Tenampa Bar, LW, and when you arrive on scene the people are dancing around the body like nothing happened. Then go do down the road to the LaFlama and arrest the suspect who's drinking his beer. You've never had to deal with having your back up 30-45 minutes away when all heck is breaking loose around you. Most would freak out to write a report by hand. You probably wouldn't know what to do if you were dispatched to a noise disturbance and while you were being thrown over a pickup into the bed of another while you were calling for backup. LIke I said previously - the wisdom is there .... Learn from it.

How I miss the days when the only thing a deputy said, on the radio, was 10-51 (en route), 1097 (on scene), 1098 (Cleared) and zone clear.

Unlike some, I'll leave my name, I'm not ashamed of what I've wrote. I just hope and pray that I don't sign someone else off the radio.

Brenda Lang

11-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Is there any truth to the rumor that Speirs was having an ongoing affair with Matt's wife? Was he responsible for the 2 head shots? How did he keep his job? The word is Speirs set Matt up? Is there any truth to any of this?

WTF is your problem!?!?! That family lost their husband, father, son, brother over three years ago now, and you want to bring that shizzat up again? I hope to God you rot in hell you disgusting *** VIRUS ALERT ***.[/quote]

Sorry and there is no offense intended. Too many questions to this day, coming up on 4 years later, and the ONE witness was given a promotion and told not to speak about what happened. Just want to know who shot who first and what was the motive if any. If no motive, then he is incompetent and should be fired. The cover up is bigger than the incident and you will have to get used to people asking these questions, because the public was lied to.[/quote]

There are only four people that know exactly what happened that day. Matt, Diogi, and that sack of shit are dead that leaves Speirs. You want these questions answered ask him. On one hand I don't think Matt should have been alone, on the other I WAS NOT THERE and i will never judge another leo when they are in that situation and I wasn't there to see it first hand. It would not surprise me if this agency has another cover up, but Matt and Diogi need to RIP, and his family needs to be able to move on. This should not keep being dug up for their sake.

Now think of this. Do you want people saying these things about your wife if it was you we buried that day?

11-20-2009, 12:25 AM
There was no affair. That was a ridiculous conjured up by sympathizers for the heinous criminal that initiated this tragic event. If you actually took time to read through the report (which is public record). The deadly shots were fired by the only true coward on scene that day. He is the only one that tried to hide. Spears did not hide from his co-workers. His actions may not have been as perfect as some of you would like to think you would be, however, he was there and did what he felt he had to in order to survive (return fire on the suspect and retreat after being struck).

This is has been addressed multiple times in numerous places. None of this should have happened, but it did. Lessons were learned, and various policies have been changed in hopes of preventing it. It is what it is.. a family, friends, and an agency lost a wonderful Deputy. A survivor was not promoted.... and is left dealing with the "what if's" every day.

Let the controversy and the Hero rest in peace. Move on and support your brother.

11-20-2009, 12:51 AM
There was no affair. That was a ridiculous conjured up by sympathizers for the heinous criminal that initiated this tragic event. If you actually took time to read through the report (which is public record). The deadly shots were fired by the only true coward on scene that day. He is the only one that tried to hide. Spears did not hide from his co-workers. His actions may not have been as perfect as some of you would like to think you would be, however, he was there and did what he felt he had to in order to survive (return fire on the suspect and retreat after being struck).

This is has been addressed multiple times in numerous places. None of this should have happened, but it did. Lessons were learned, and various policies have been changed in hopes of preventing it. It is what it is.. a family, friends, and an agency lost a wonderful Deputy. A survivor was not promoted.... and is left dealing with the "what if's" every day.

Let the controversy and the Hero rest in peace. Move on and support your brother.

Thank you. You just said what I was trying to say but you were more elegant than I was. For those of you who want to say that Speirs should have acted differently consider this. I have been in combat several times (almost every day for a year) I know how I react in that kind of situation but I still cannot judge what happened because I was not there. You all know that no two calls are alike, well guess what the second shots are fired everything you think you know goes out the window. That man has to spend the rest of his life wondering if he was right or wrong don’t make things harder on him.

12-23-2009, 02:21 AM
come on folks all this pissin and moanin is not going to bring matt and diogi back we all agree matt was a fine person and brother to all of us let that be our memory of him not all this bull shit....................................