PDA

View Full Version : Philosophy

03-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Good Afternoon Members,

I wanted to take a moment of your time this afternoon to introduce myself and tell you that I am truly honored to have been appointed by the Governor and Cabinet to lead DHSMV. I am excited about the opportunity to return to such a great agency and all the dedicated people who work diligently every day to serve our citizens, whether in DMV, DDL, FHP, DAS or ISA. You all have much to be proud of and based on what I have seen and heard already, you have implemented innovative and cutting edge technology and processes that have made DHSMV a leader.

As some of you may know, I worked here in the General Counsel’s Office in the 1990’s. At that time I was assigned to the Division of Driver Licenses and also assisted with personnel issues related to the FHP. I always look back with fond memories of this agency and my time spent here. Since that time, I worked at the Sarasota Sheriff’s Office and most recently at the Florida Department of Law Enforcement as Assistant Commissioner over various areas including Capitol Police, Governor’s Protection Detail, Sex Offender Registry, Officer Certification and Standards and more. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is a tremendous organization and I was blessed to have worked there for 3 years!

Today, I begin the next chapter and you all will play a huge role in our success as an agency. Each one of you plays an integral role in providing some of the most critical services to our State’s citizens and I am deeply appreciative for the work you do. My duty as a leader is to support you all, provide you direction and ensure you have what you need to perform at the highest level which translates into better productivity for the people we serve.

I had the opportunity to meet with our leadership team and talk about our vision for the agency. I think it is important that I let you know what we will be focusing on first as we move through this important transition.

We will conduct a workforce climate review- to see the agency through your eyes- and make improvements where necessary. I will also create a communications method for you to submit constructive thoughts and ideas directly to me- anonymously or by name (Similar to “Ask Fred”- but it will come directly to my email).
I will be visiting with the Divisions, here at HQ and throughout the state to learn about what you do- this may take some time as legislative session is upon us- but I will do my best now and then be fully engaged the week after session is complete. I want to hear from you about ideas for improvement, what’s working and what’s not.
We will create an Agency mission, vision and values statement and you will be asked to play a part in the creation. I realize there is a basic statutory mission, but we will be looking for a more dynamic approach that is consistent with our statutory mandate and includes all of the Divisions.
We will begin an Agency strategic plan and ensure that we are involving you and our customers and aligning our business strategy with our mission.
We will focus on increasing public education to ensure that we are doing all that we can to educate the public about our services (especially the tremendous automated services we provide).
We will continue to implement the Governor’s Executive Order to ensure that we provide the highest quality customer service, government that is accessible, deliver “plain talk” communications and make improvements where necessary.
We will continue to develop and implement a strategy to recruit and retain FHP Troopers and other positions whose constant vacancies impact our ability to serve.

Stay tuned—you will hear from me and other leadership as to our progress. I realize this type of transition can be unnerving at times, but I will assure you that although we will be looking for ways to improve, we will not be making changes just for that sake of change. We will be planning and strategically implementing changes after careful thought, analysis and discussion with stakeholders.

My personal philosophy is that success only comes through leadership that focuses on integrity, teamwork, communication, and a sense of commitment to a common cause. You will hear me talk about these things often, and you will see me and our leadership team act in accordance with these principles. I ask you all to do the same.

Together we will make a difference. I look forward to forging our path to success.

Electra

NONE OF THIS IS GOING ON AT FHP.

03-17-2007, 01:04 PM
"We will continue to develop and implement a strategy to recruit and retain FHP Troopers and other positions whose constant vacancies impact our ability to serve"

I know it may take someone very smart to come up with a strategy to accomplish this goal, but I will give you a hint......it is green and made of fiber. Increase the pay and not only will more people apply, but more QUALIFIED people will apply. Therefore the FHP applicant process can be designed to be more difficult which will in turn weed out those who have no business being here. And a little word for those that think a trooper that writes 75 tickets a week is a smart, qualified trooper...wake up! It takes more than writing tickets to be a good cop.

03-18-2007, 09:16 PM
I HAVE TO AGREE WITH "GUEST" ON THIS ONE. THE BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH FHP IS M-O-N-E-Y. FDLE CONTINUES TO RECEIVE GOOD RAISES. I GUESS IT'S ONLY RIGHT THAT THE HIGHEST PAID STATE COPS WOULD RECEIVE THE HIGHEST AMOUNT OF MONEY.

03-21-2007, 02:14 AM
I HAVE TO AGREE WITH "GUEST" ON THIS ONE. THE BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH FHP IS M-O-N-E-Y. FDLE CONTINUES TO RECEIVE GOOD RAISES. I GUESS IT'S ONLY RIGHT THAT THE HIGHEST PAID STATE COPS WOULD RECEIVE THE HIGHEST AMOUNT OF MONEY.

FDLE is our State Police, you guys are Highway Patrol. I do agree you need a pay raise.

03-21-2007, 09:40 AM

FDLE is our State Police, you guys are Highway Patrol. I do agree you need a pay raise.

FDLE is more like an investigation bureau than a state police, much like the GBI in Georgia. You will never see an FDLE car out making traffic stops. A true state police agency carries investigation and patrol responsiblities.

03-21-2007, 03:08 PM

FDLE is more like an investigation bureau than a state police, much like the GBI in Georgia. You will never see an FDLE car out making traffic stops. A true state police agency carries investigation and patrol responsiblities.

You are 100% correct. It amazes me when a Trooper tells me he's over me and that I work for them.

03-22-2007, 05:45 AM

FDLE is the investigative division of state law enforcement. FHP is the uniform patrol division of state law enforcement. If you put them together you have Florida State Police. Keep them separate and its what you have now. This is not happening because the Sheriff's of this state will not stand for it. Even though it would not change a thing for them or us, they still fight it. Just about all southern states that have state police have a uniform highway patrol division and an investigative division that assist local and county law enforcement. Sounds like thats what we have here, so lets consolidate them into one department.

03-22-2007, 05:53 AM

FDLE is the investigative division of state law enforcement. FHP is the uniform patrol division of state law enforcement. If you put them together you have Florida State Police. Keep them separate and its what you have now. This is not happening because the Sheriff's of this state will not stand for it. Even though it would not change a thing for them or us, they still fight it. Just about all southern states that have state police have a uniform highway patrol division and an investigative division that assist local and county law enforcement. Sounds like thats what we have here, so lets consolidate them into one department.

I would love to see FDLE, FHP and the Sheriff's merge to create a State Police agency. I know it's never going to happen, but it would be nice. It comes down to fact no one wants to lose power.

03-30-2007, 01:34 AM
Actually, FDLE is a Department, not a division, FHP is a division of the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. I believe that one day FHP will be brought under FDLE just like Capitol Police and Public Assistance Fraud has been over the last several years. It is only a matter of time. True, we are the criminal investigative arm of the State of Florida but FDLE has many other areas of responsibility besides just investigations, ie. Lab, FCIC, law enforcement grants, governor security, domestics security and too many more to name.

03-30-2007, 01:58 AM
Actually, FDLE is a Department, not a division, FHP is a division of the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. I believe that one day FHP will be brought under FDLE just like Capitol Police and Public Assistance Fraud has been over the last several years. It is only a matter of time. True, we are the criminal investigative arm of the State of Florida but FDLE has many other areas of responsibility besides just investigations, ie. Lab, FCIC, law enforcement grants, governor security, domestics security and too many more to name.

It will never happen. There were talks about dismantling the agency a couple years ago. Not to mention, FDLE doesn’t want to be linked with FHP. FDLE makes a lot more money, and FHP will never be on the same pay scale as FDLE. Most FDLE agents I've talked to say they feel FHP will only bring them down. I think it's wrong, and it comes down to a power issue and frankly the Florida Sheriff's Association and the Florida Association of Police Chiefs would not allow it. Politically those unions have a lot more influential power and the Governor wouldn't want to do anything to jeopardize his chances of reelection. Highway Patrol works as it does in 17 other towns. Not to mention, Florida cities are only allowed to contract with the Sheriff for police services. I don't think that would have any effect. I like the poster above; it would be nice to have a State Police with the combination of Sheriff's, FHP, and FDLE. With the way gangs are going in this state, it would be nice to have a kick ass powerful agency statewide to go after these losers. You and I both know no one wants to make waves. Stay safe.

03-30-2007, 11:25 AM
What a productive, professional blog. It’s nice to see two agencies not go after each others throat. I am a 30 year guy currently at FDLE. It would make perfect sense to combine the two. It would be great for FDLE (drawing from a pool of 2000 experienced cops for agents positions) and FHP. But I agree that Florida Sheriff’s would cry long and loud, they want to remain the most powerful LEO’s in the state.

03-30-2007, 12:04 PM
What a productive, professional blog. It’s nice to see two agencies not go after each others throat. I am a 30 year guy currently at FDLE. It would make perfect sense to combine the two. It would be great for FDLE (drawing from a pool of 2000 experienced cops for agents positions) and FHP. But I agree that Florida Sheriff’s would cry long and loud, they want to remain the most powerful LEO’s in the state.

It don't think it make's sense. In your larger counties, you don't need the help of FHP for crashes, most of time. It will never happen, then you have to try keeping the Troopers on the road, so you'll end up with a shortage on the road. The way it is makes perfect sense. If they were going to do anything merge the counties with FDLE and FHP and allow the Sheriff's to be the commander of that district. That would make perfect sense giving a huge agency with too many resources.

03-30-2007, 08:28 PM
They should set Florida up like Alabama or Arkansas. They are both set up as state police, full service agencies. The unform div. is the highway patrol. Investigative div. does exactly what FDLE does now. They are one big state police dept. that is set up just like the smaller local depts. The sheriff does his thing, we do ours. The sheriff would still be the cheif leo of the county like he is now. All it would change would be the patch on the shoulder, car decal, crime scene vans and a few other things and save the state about 15 million a year to consolidate support services instead of having them separate as they are now.

04-10-2007, 04:50 AM
They should set Florida up like Alabama or Arkansas. They are both set up as state police, full service agencies. The unform div. is the highway patrol. Investigative div. does exactly what FDLE does now. They are one big state police dept. that is set up just like the smaller local depts. The sheriff does his thing, we do ours. The sheriff would still be the cheif leo of the county like he is now. All it would change would be the patch on the shoulder, car decal, crime scene vans and a few other things and save the state about 15 million a year to consolidate support services instead of having them separate as they are now.

Nah you are thinking too much into it. We would hate to have the state of Florida do anything that makes sense! Kind of like paying a 20 year veteran of the FHP less than $40,000 a year. The only thing more sad is the fact that FHP has ANYONE working for them. I guess some just dont think too highly of themselves to move on.

04-10-2007, 08:19 AM
Anything that might help FHP would be good. Right now FHP is a joke and not functional as a agency. Why we even have speed limit signs in this state is a mystery to me.............motorists do not fear you at all because where people are dying on the roadways you guys are nowhere to be found...................signed, "I HAUL ARSE ALL DAY LONG" 8)

04-11-2007, 01:05 AM

This makes perfect sense to me. The only people that are against it is the sheriffs of this state. This would not affect them at all but yet they still oppose it. Makes you wonder what it is they are afraid of. When it was discussed many years ago (1992), it was said that the sheriff would just become a warlord over the jail like a small New England state that was the size of an average county in FL. What a bunch of crap. It would not affect them in any way.

04-11-2007, 03:34 PM

This makes perfect sense to me. The only people that are against it is the sheriffs of this state. This would not affect them at all but yet they still oppose it. Makes you wonder what it is they are afraid of. When it was discussed many years ago (1992), it was said that the sheriff would just become a warlord over the jail like a small New England state that was the size of an average county in FL. What a bunch of crap. It would not affect them in any way.

I don't think Florida needs FHP and FDLE to merge, they still wouldn't do anything. What they need is to merge every Law Enforcement agency into one and have unlimited resources to combat these gangs. You know as well as I do the Sheriff's don't compare to the way the Chief of Police would react. Why not do that way have contracts for the cities. I know why, elected officials are afraid to do what's right. Could you image the resources we would have if there was only one Police Agency state wide?

04-12-2007, 09:49 PM
I don't think Florida needs FHP and FDLE to merge, they still wouldn't do anything. What they need is to merge every Law Enforcement agency into one and have unlimited resources to combat these gangs. You know as well as I do the Sheriff's don't compare to the way the Chief of Police would react. Why not do that way have contracts for the cities. I know why, elected officials are afraid to do what's right. Could you image the resources we would have if there was only one Police Agency state wide?

Take a deep breath and relax. Such merging is politically impossible. It is also impractical. The counties with large populations (Dade, Duval, Hillsborough, etc.) have little in common with the majority of the counties with sparse populations.

How do you figure merging all of the agencies would provide unlimited resources to combat gangs? The police in the small counties would still need their officers to police their areas. You couldn't pull them away and send them to the big counties. There would be the same sum total of police resources that we presently have in the state.

You also clearly are not aware of the multi-jurisdictional task force that Sheriffs in the Tampa Bay area have set up. You apparently haven't read about their raid in Hillsborough that netted the majority of the leaders of the major latin gangs in the state of Florida, and the recent arrests in Manatee that took down some gang "shooters." This was done by the gang task force. The gangs move across jurisdictional lines and so do the task force members.

The gang problem is too broad based to think that some Chief of Police could squash it, and you are very, very wrong if you think a Police Chief would be more aggressive in suppressing gangs than the Sheriffs around Tampa Bay.

You apparently believe that Sheriffs are constrained by political considerations and Police Chiefs are not. First, you are wrong; chiefs answer to Mayors, who are political. Second, being aggressive towards gangs is politically popular so it something that Sheriffs will do - not something they will avoid.

04-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Thats why we should just stick to merging FHP and FDLE together. That makes a whole lot more sense than everyone in the state. That way it wouldnt change too many peoples jobs, just allow some troopers to move to new areas of law enforcement where they cant now. Florida Dept. of Public Safety. This is what Florida was from 1939 to 1969. It consisted of FHP and DDL. Government reorginazation did away with DPS and created DHSMV and FDLE. This was wrong and a step backwards to where we are now. Why not merge the two departments together and have one.

04-12-2007, 11:52 PM
Thats why we should just stick to merging FHP and FDLE together. That makes a whole lot more sense than everyone in the state. That way it wouldnt change too many peoples jobs, just allow some troopers to move to new areas of law enforcement where they cant now. Florida Dept. of Public Safety. This is what Florida was from 1939 to 1969. It consisted of FHP and DDL. Government reorginazation did away with DPS and created DHSMV and FDLE. This was wrong and a step backwards to where we are now. Why not merge the two departments together and have one.

Keep dreaming guys this will never happen. FHP will always be under DOT.

04-12-2007, 11:54 PM

I'm sorry what I meant to say is FHP will always be under DHSMV. Which is fine with me, I love traffic.

04-13-2007, 02:34 AM

I'm sorry what I meant to say is FHP will always be under DHSMV. Which is fine with me, I love traffic.

You would still be working traffic. The state is slowly giving DDL to all the counties. Is FHP to be the only agency under DHSMV when its all over. Doesnt make sense not to combine the two. At least if you ever get burned out from working traffic you could possibly transfer to another division within the new department doing something else. You sure cant do that now can you. FHP starting loosing its mission a long time ago. The sheriffs got tired of people complaining because they had to wait for hours on a trooper so a lot of them started traffic units and began doing our job for us. Why do you think that in Palm Beach Co., all you work is SR 9 and the Glades.