PDA

View Full Version : Uninsured Drivers

03-02-2007, 08:51 PM
I understand uninsured drivers face possible DL suspension and/or fines, can you just write a citiation for that or what is the process on the officers part, I can't find it in my curriculum. Thanks

03-03-2007, 12:18 AM
All you can do is write them a citation.

03-03-2007, 01:16 AM
Just to clear it up, I read up on that FSS, it mainly touches up on proof of insurance, is it still a citation even if they have no policy in place on the vehicle, for example, if Jimmy is driving his fathers car and jimmy is not on the insurance policy, wouldn't that be considered having no insurance at all? Also, if you run a tag that comes back that the vehicle has no assigned insurance, does that give you PC to stop it? Thanks.

03-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Just to clear it up, I read up on that FSS, it mainly touches up on proof of insurance, is it still a citation even if they have no policy in place on the vehicle, for example, if Jimmy is driving his fathers car and jimmy is not on the insurance policy, wouldn't that be considered having no insurance at all? Also, if you run a tag that comes back that the vehicle has no assigned insurance, does that give you PC to stop it? Thanks.

Insurance covers the vehicle, not the person. You can own a car and have the insurance in your name but allow strangers to drive your car everyday. If one of those people crash your car the insurance will still pay.

Your car can be stolen from you. The person that stole it starts committing crimes while using your car. The cops catch on to this and a pursuit begins. The guy that stole your car now crashes into another car. Your insurance company pays for all the damages because the insurance covers the car and not the driver.

If you run a tag through your computer and it tells you that no insurance is on file that is not enough P/C for a stop.

There is not a specific statute for having no insurance at all. Just 316.646 A petty non-moving violation every once in a while is much cheaper then paying for insurance for most south Floridians.

03-03-2007, 03:24 PM
2 things about insurance:

1. - If their the at fault vehicle in a crash and they have no insurance and they are being cited for the crash violation (ie: ran red light), then the insurance violation makes all the citations court mandatory

2. 316.646(4) - Any person presenting proof of insurance as required in subsection (1) who knows that the insurance as represented by such proof of insurance is not currently in force is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
This one is kind of hard to prove but a little talking to the driver after they give you the card then admits its expired etc commits this

Hope it helps

03-04-2007, 04:09 AM
Thanks guys.