PDA

View Full Version : ARU

02-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Folks, would like yourthoughts on the ARU group that helps take some of those paper calls off of your backs. I am a friend with many in that unit and think that they do a pretty good job helpin' out. They have even asked to take more calls off of you to lighten your load. Let them know they are appreciated.

They're a good team, altho they have no real suprv., she doesn't back them, doesn't stand up for them, hell doesn't know how to do their job. They work between themselves helping each other out. They know their stuff!!! They are the dumping ground for everything and anything many other departments don't want to have to do, don't get any kudos for it or money, they take whatever is dumped on them and work with it. It's their job...and they do it. Any comments?

02-28-2007, 05:56 PM
I m sure they do a great job. Although I have taken delayed reports like Sig 40's with no suspect 14. The victim always tells me they just want a report. I ask if they demanded a deputy and they tell me no. Who knows??

02-28-2007, 05:58 PM
I've had that happen too. I'ts probably a fluke. I m sure ARU would never dump a call back on the deputy.

02-28-2007, 06:39 PM
I've had that happen too. I'ts probably a fluke. I m sure ARU would never dump a call back on the deputy.

Big & DS... sorry to tell u this BUT ARU doesn't 'dump' them onto a D/S. The people in the ARU unit have criteria they have to follow, unfortunately like a s/40 and when compl. is called it is a s/3 to their mailbox. I'm not saying it absolutely doesn't happen to you...but alot of the time ARU doesn't get that call sent to them, the call taker in como sent it to disp. 9 times outta 10 it isn't ARU dumpin anything on you. How many times have they got a call that the DS is standing right there or has just left and they were told to call ARU? BUT this is not a pissin match....I absolutely agree ARU is a heck of a unit and takes a goodly number of calls off of your backs.

02-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Unfortunately, ARU calls require them to use their criteria. ARU gets some strange calls and if the como div types it up wrong and sends it to ARU and it does not meet the criteria set up for ARU then they can not take it. Thus it has to be returned to the road. ARU asked to take S3 calls (which you recieve as S40 from como), usually a mailbox, it was denied. Como does not talk with a complainant long enough to find out if they have susp 14 and other information that ARU finds out after calling the complainant back. Some are sent back because when ARU calls the complainant they find out they have susp 14, or it was a S3 based on a vehicle hitting it. Read florida state statues in reference to a vehicle hitting a person or property and not stopping to give their information or at least leaving a note. Thus a S40 from COMO turns into a S3. Which usually requires a DS to just hand them a blue form. ARU suggested that they could mail it, that was also denied. Some calls are retuned to the road because a D/S working in COMO for overtime tried to help the DS by sending them to ARU, especially those calls that only require a report. Also all the contracts PBSO has taken over, require a DS to respond, it is in the contract and has to be done in that contract area. Just trying to explain. Not to piss anyone off. If you get a chance and want to discuss a call, call ARU or ask dispatch to read you what ARU added to the call so they would know why it was sent back. I worked as a DS there for a while and even I had to send some calls back to como because I could not go out on a road call.

02-28-2007, 10:15 PM
I, for one, am glad at any unit that takes even one crap call off of my back. Thanks ARU!

03-01-2007, 12:04 AM
You are appreciateed, keep up the good work.

03-02-2007, 04:38 AM
ARU does a good job. The men and women of this unit are dedicated and professional, hard working employees. I would like to see this unit expanded and additional calls forwarded to them. This would allow the road unit to do additional proactive patrols. Keep up the good work down there.

03-02-2007, 10:03 AM
what is ARU? Alarm Reduction Unit (context says no). Accident Reduction Unit (maybe?). I cannot figure it out.

03-02-2007, 03:58 PM
what is ARU? Alarm Reduction Unit (context says no). Accident Reduction Unit (maybe?). I cannot figure it out.

Alternate Response Unit.

03-02-2007, 07:05 PM
does ARU ask what "suspect 14" the complainant has?

Majority of the time "suspect 14" is a hunch about the neighborhood *******. Definitely nothing that could be considered true suspect information.

03-03-2007, 05:55 AM
For those 7-thousand ID numbers and above,

ARU probably averages fifteen or twenty paper calls a night per person. Before ARU was created those calls stacked up and you responded to them. Headquarters for instance before ARU: There were times HQ went out with less than 10 deputies on afternoons and Midnights with one Sgt and one Lt for the whole county. And that was less than 10-years ago. Now the minimum at HQ for example is 14. You have more D/S's and ARU filtering out calls. IF ARU wasn't there and you went out with 10 or less you'd be humping over twenty calls a night and taking 8 - 10 paper calls. Be glad ARU is here...

03-13-2007, 11:16 PM
I've had call dumped from ARU and there was no suspect 14. The victim had a hunch. I guess that's their protocol. Hunches are suspects.

03-14-2007, 12:29 AM
I've had call dumped from ARU and there was no suspect 14. The victim had a hunch. I guess that's their protocol. Hunches are suspects.

doubtful that ARU 'dumped' a call on u! That's not their protocol, nor is 'hunches for suspects'. Sorry, but ARU askes more questions than u know so that they don't have to send it to the road. They try to take every call so it stays in the unit and not buggin the road with shizzat.

By the way, to whoever posted a few up from here, where it was said that they like to see ARU take more calls from the road and expand the unit. They are. trying to get more calls they can take, to take more off of the road. ARU has been asking for awhile now to get more...so far they have gotten 1 extra call to help Dist 1 (just waiting to take effect) and will also be takin Mangonia Park stuff. You all gotta remember they take all districts, with the exception of out west (Belle glade, etc), Wellington and Lake Park.

03-21-2007, 12:51 AM
Unfortunately, ARU calls require them to use their criteria. ARU gets some strange calls and if the como div types it up wrong and sends it to ARU and it does not meet the criteria set up for ARU then they can not take it. Thus it has to be returned to the road. ARU asked to take S3 calls (which you recieve as S40 from como), usually a mailbox, it was denied. Como does not talk with a complainant long enough to find out if they have susp 14 and other information that ARU finds out after calling the complainant back. Some are sent back because when ARU calls the complainant they find out they have susp 14, or it was a S3 based on a vehicle hitting it. Read florida state statues in reference to a vehicle hitting a person or property and not stopping to give their information or at least leaving a note. Thus a S40 from COMO turns into a S3. Which usually requires a DS to just hand them a blue form. ARU suggested that they could mail it, that was also denied. Some calls are retuned to the road because a D/S working in COMO for overtime tried to help the DS by sending them to ARU, especially those calls that only require a report. Also all the contracts PBSO has taken over, require a DS to respond, it is in the contract and has to be done in that contract area. Just trying to explain. Not to piss anyone off. If you get a chance and want to discuss a call, call ARU or ask dispatch to read you what ARU added to the call so they would know why it was sent back. I worked as a DS there for a while and even I had to send some calls back to como because I could not go out on a road call.

How any particular call gets to the road can be the result of many factors... sometimes there are more overtime personnel on the desk in Commo than trained Commo peeps. For the sake of conversation I won't speculate "why" - I for one ask the necessary questions... I don't want to send delayed-no-suspect-s/14-calls to hold behind the 4W, 36, 21RIP, 41BIP, etc... so those delayed-no-supsect-s/14-call complainants can keep calling back for an eta when possibly ARU would have been sufficient. But now? There is a directive that ALL signal 3 are to be typed and sent to the road, whether there is suspect s/14 or not, whether it was discovered in the parking lot after shopping at the local grocery store with not a witness around. This alone will bump up the number of calls that can't be TOT'd to ARU and have to have a unit respond.

03-21-2007, 11:54 AM
[quote="DS that has worked in ARU":3hbt9s42]Unfortunately, ARU calls require them to use their criteria. ARU gets some strange calls and if the como div types it up wrong and sends it to ARU and it does not meet the criteria set up for ARU then they can not take it. Thus it has to be returned to the road. ARU asked to take S3 calls (which you recieve as S40 from como), usually a mailbox, it was denied. Como does not talk with a complainant long enough to find out if they have susp 14 and other information that ARU finds out after calling the complainant back. Some are sent back because when ARU calls the complainant they find out they have susp 14, or it was a S3 based on a vehicle hitting it. Read florida state statues in reference to a vehicle hitting a person or property and not stopping to give their information or at least leaving a note. Thus a S40 from COMO turns into a S3. Which usually requires a DS to just hand them a blue form. ARU suggested that they could mail it, that was also denied. Some calls are retuned to the road because a D/S working in COMO for overtime tried to help the DS by sending them to ARU, especially those calls that only require a report. Also all the contracts PBSO has taken over, require a DS to respond, it is in the contract and has to be done in that contract area. Just trying to explain. If you get a chance and want to discuss a call, call ARU or ask dispatch to read you what ARU added to the call so they would know why it was sent back. I worked as a DS there for a while and even I had to send some calls back to como because I could not go out on a road call.

How any particular call gets to the road can be the result of many factors... sometimes there are more overtime personnel on the desk in Commo than trained Commo peeps. For the sake of conversation I won't speculate "why" - I for one ask the necessary questions... I don't want to send delayed-no-suspect-s/14-calls to hold behind the 4W, 36, 21RIP, 41BIP, etc... so those delayed-no-supsect-s/14-call complainants can keep calling back for an eta when possibly ARU would have been sufficient. But now? There is a directive that ALL signal 3 are to be typed and sent to the road, whether there is suspect s/14 or not, whether it was discovered in the parking lot after shopping at the local grocery store with not a witness around. This alone will bump up the number of calls that can't be TOT'd to ARU and have to have a unit respond.[/quote:3hbt9s42]

G'Mornin All.... I have been reading the posting here and finally decided maybe an ARU person should come in and help answer questions and commemts. PLEASE understand I have no intention, or want, to get anybody mad!

ARU doesn't want to TOT calls to the road if they don't have to...we have stats we have to make too. BUT more importantly we try to help the road not to have to take some types of calls to keep you freed up for the more important calls, IP, s/0, etc. and to keep it so you have the time to do the proactive work that needs to be done. So you can have a dinner break during your shift and not constantly running call-to-call-to-call with not so much as a 'personal break'.

As for s/40 vs. s/3...we did ask to take those..no susp., minimul prop. damage, delayed... that at least we would do a Zulu rept. and send out a Blue Form... we got great help from a Como Suprv. and a Sgt. in Traffic div. on it (so it wasn't ARU's decision) it was pointed out that State law is what it is and is black n white, no gray areas, period. A s/3 is a s/3 no matter what it was that was damaged by a vehicle, ie: car, truck, motorcycle, golf cart, etc. SO, unfortunately it has to hold for the road. For a very long time these were typed up as a s/40, sent to ARU, and were, as we find now, listed under the wrong column for reporting purposes.

As for the subject of suspect 14... we ask, and then ask again, about this. 9 times out of 10 we find when they say they 'know who did it' it is their guess, just because they have been in a incident with a s/39 or an ex of some types, we know it does not constitute suspect 14, and we tell them this. 'If you didn't see this person do it, or they have not admitted to doing it, it is just your assumption then'.

Calls sent to us...Most of the seasoned call takers in Como send the calls to the correct area, ARU or the road. A few of the newbies and the people from the road doing OT seem to send calls that have no business being in ARU to us. There is susp. 14, we have even had a few IP calls sent to us, callers that have said they 'want a d/s' to respond. The seasoned call takers know the questions to ask, 'hear' what is being said to them and forward them correctly. If an OTer wouldn't want to have some type of call given to them, they won't send it to another d/s on the road, they send it to ARU. We also find theat we are given so limited info in the call that we have no idea what the call is about until we speak to the complainant...and some need the road's attention. Again we are sorry for this but we do try to keep it out and off the road.

Understand, I LOVE what I do, so does my unit. Yes, I will admit that there probably has been some calls that have gotten sent to the road when they should'nt have....BUT it is not done to be a pain. It may have been a mistake or that report writer was given the wrong answer by the direction of a co-worker, or by their own decision. BUT we are a good unit! We take reports for all districts, w/the exception of out west, Royal Palm, Wellington, Lake Park...this unit covers ALOT of the county...as well as a huge list of other duties. So, if you have a question about a call being sent back, call ARU, ask the person who sent it to the road, or ask Como to read you the comments that we updated into the call. In closing, if you want a general idea about the unit, want to know what our call crit is, please ask and I shall try to answer here on the site, or one of my great co-workers could, as I know they read in here too (whether they'll admit it or not).

Keep safe out there!!!!!

03-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Finally someone with something constructive to say

03-23-2007, 06:04 PM
[quote="DS that has worked in ARU":14easdd4]Unfortunately, ARU calls require them to use their criteria. ARU gets some strange calls and if the como div types it up wrong and sends it to ARU and it does not meet the criteria set up for ARU then they can not take it. Thus it has to be returned to the road. ARU asked to take S3 calls (which you recieve as S40 from como), usually a mailbox, it was denied. Como does not talk with a complainant long enough to find out if they have susp 14 and other information that ARU finds out after calling the complainant back. Some are sent back because when ARU calls the complainant they find out they have susp 14, or it was a S3 based on a vehicle hitting it. Read florida state statues in reference to a vehicle hitting a person or property and not stopping to give their information or at least leaving a note. Thus a S40 from COMO turns into a S3. Which usually requires a DS to just hand them a blue form. ARU suggested that they could mail it, that was also denied. Some calls are retuned to the road because a D/S working in COMO for overtime tried to help the DS by sending them to ARU, especially those calls that only require a report. Also all the contracts PBSO has taken over, require a DS to respond, it is in the contract and has to be done in that contract area. Just trying to explain. Not to piss anyone off. If you get a chance and want to discuss a call, call ARU or ask dispatch to read you what ARU added to the call so they would know why it was sent back. I worked as a DS there for a while and even I had to send some calls back to como because I could not go out on a road call.

How any particular call gets to the road can be the result of many factors... sometimes there are more overtime personnel on the desk in Commo than trained Commo peeps. For the sake of conversation I won't speculate "why" - I for one ask the necessary questions... I don't want to send delayed-no-suspect-s/14-calls to hold behind the 4W, 36, 21RIP, 41BIP, etc... so those delayed-no-supsect-s/14-call complainants can keep calling back for an eta when possibly ARU would have been sufficient. But now? There is a directive that ALL signal 3 are to be typed and sent to the road, whether there is suspect s/14 or not, whether it was discovered in the parking lot after shopping at the local grocery store with not a witness around. This alone will bump up the number of calls that can't be TOT'd to ARU and have to have a unit respond.

G'Mornin All.... I have been reading the posting here and finally decided maybe an ARU person should come in and help answer questions and commemts. PLEASE understand I have no intention, or want, to get anybody ticked off!!

ARU doesn't want to TOT calls to the road if they don't have to...we have stats we have to make too. BUT more importantly we try to help the road not to have to take some types of calls to keep you freed up for the more important calls, IP, s/0, etc. and to keep it so you have the time to do the proactive work that needs to be done. Hell so you can have a dinner break during your shift and not constantly running call-to-call-to-call with not so much as a 'personal break'.

As for s/40 vs. s/3...we did ask to take those..no susp., minimul prop. damage, delayed... that at least we would do a Zulu rept. and send out a Blue Form... we got great help from a Como Suprv. and a Sgt. in Traffic div. on it (so it wasn't ARU's decision) it was pointed out that State law is what it is and is black n white, no gray areas, period. A s/3 is a s/3 no matter what it was that was damaged by a vehicle, ie: car, truck, motorcycle, golf cart, etc. SO, unfortunately it has to hold for the road. For a very long time these were typed up as a s/40, sent to ARU, and were, as we find now, listed under the wrong column for reporting purposes.

As for the subject of suspect 14... we ask, and then ask again, about this. 9 times out of 10 we find when they say they 'know who did it' it is their guess, just because they have been in a pissin match with a s/39 or an ex of some types, we know it does not constitute suspect 14, and we tell them this. 'If you didn't see this person do it, or they have not admitted to doing it, it is just your assumption then'.

Calls sent to us...Most of the seasoned call takers in Como send the calls to the correct area, ARU or the road. A few of the newbies and the people from the road doing OT seem to send calls that have no business being in ARU to us. There is susp. 14, we have even had a few IP calls sent to us, callers that have said they 'want a d/s' to respond. The seasoned call takers know the questions to ask, 'hear' what is being said to them and forward them correctly. If an OTer wouldn't want to have some type of call given to them, they won't send it to another d/s on the road, they send it to ARU. We also find theat we are given so limited info in the call that we have no idea what the call is about until we speak to the complainant...and some need the road's attention. Again we are sorry for this but we do try to keep it out and off the road.

Understand, I LOVE what I do, so does my unit. Yes, I will admit that there probably has been some calls that have gotten sent to the road when they should'nt have....BUT it is not done to be a pain in your arse. It may have been a mistake or that report writer was given the wrong answer by the direction of a co-worker, or by their own decision. BUT we are a damned good unit! We take reports for all districts, w/the exception of out west, Royal Palm, Wellington, Lake Park...this unit covers ALOT of the county...as well as a huge list of other duties. So, if you have a question about a call being snt back, call ARU, ask the person who sent it to the road, or ask Como to read you the comments that we updated into the call. In closing, if you want a general idea about the unit, want to know what our call crit is, please ask and I shall try to answer here on the site, or one of my great co-workers could, as I know they read in here too (whether they'll admit it or not).

Keep safe out there!!!!![/quote:14easdd4]

Wow!! Couldn't of said it better myself!! Sounds like a real pro there!!

08-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Here is a tip for ARU

the difference between a robbery and a theft

Robbery is a larceny in which property is taken from the custody of another, and in the course of the taking there is the use of force, violence, assault, or putting in fear.

Theft is everything else.

If a victim has property stolen from their person, and they had no clue it occurred until 20 minutes later?

Its a theft, not a robbery.

08-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Here is a tip for ARU

the difference between a robbery and a theft

Robbery is a larceny in which property is taken from the custody of another, and in the course of the taking there is the use of force, violence, assault, or putting in fear.

Theft is everything else.

If a victim has property stolen from their person, and they had no clue it occurred until 20 minutes later?

Its a theft, not a robbery.

Well sounds like the FTO's in ARU aren't training properly...they have alot of newbies in there... or they asked that Suprv they have who thinks she knows it all, LOL :lol:

08-14-2007, 06:40 PM
I just want to know why there is a Sgt. running ARU over 8 people? What a waste of another officer from the road!

08-16-2007, 10:35 AM
I just want to know why there is a Sgt. running ARU over 8 people? What a waste of another officer from the road!

.... the higher ups wanted a glorified analyst in there to see how much is, and can be, taken off the shoulder of the road. Wanted was how much for each district does ARU do. Since she used to an analyst she was chosen. She is good with numbers. She also id in charge of the HQ lobby and who works there.

It was hoped that she could get the Suprv. of that unit under control, buttttt........ that has not happened! :roll: She was to help bring moral up in that unit by getting her under control, that has not happened! Sgt doesn't listen to those in the unit, except to the Suprv., who is manipulating the Sgt into thinking she is backing the Sgt. Sgt. needs to stop listening to the Suprv. so much and listen to the people that work in there. She might find out that there are a few in there that do have brains and common sense, and that they are good for the unit and helping out the road. The unit members want to work 'with' her not against her, as she has been made to think.

Like I said This is what I have heard from many others that have seen and been there

08-19-2007, 06:05 PM
The sergeant over ARU needed to be there. She was extremely deficient on the road and since she is a DOG (daughter of Gauger) she was in no means going to be demoted as she should have been. As for ARU, is Tom W. still up there? I can't believe he is not back on the road where he belongs.