PDA

View Full Version : Do we have enough

02-27-2007, 01:56 AM
Captain BB is conducting a study with Lt K concerning staffing. They believe there is enough Sergeants and Lieutenants presently in the LE dept. that there need not be any further promotions. What do you think? Keep in mind the Sheriff's vision to have adequate supervision in place at all shifts, untis, division levels, etc. Also keep in mind the future mergers predicted to come about very soon. Capt BB has cited sergeants can come out of training, IA, and all speciality divisions. He has also stated all districts only need two sergeants per shift. Lieutenants would be spread more thinly by covering additional areas and comming from speciality units. What do you think?

02-27-2007, 02:07 AM
I dont work for PBSO but I have worked for 2 separate departments. Each department I have worked for was way too top heavy. I have never read or heard of anything like this. Not enough brass.... Hmmmm, I think you are either on the promtional list and are worried about not being made or are planning to take the next exam and are afraid you might not get picked.

02-27-2007, 05:16 AM
It is an unfortunate circumstance that many people look towards a promotion in order to "get out of work". I heard one Sgt state that he was burnt out only after a little more than five years of experience and he was ready to "never have to write paper again."
A promotion in rank is not a privilege it is a responsibility, so for those of you who want the fast track into standing around and doing nothing, don't bother to enter the supervisory ranks. PBSO is in a huge transition. Many of the supervisors are new and have minimal experience (IE: Detective Bureau or Agent work). Its no one's fault, it's just growth and retirements spiked in the passed 7 years.
Next time you talk to a Sergeant or Lieutenant ask them how many search warrants they've written, how many wire taps they've worked or major cases they've personally investigated as the lead Agent or Detective. Make sure they explain they were the LEAD, not the one who stood around and watched and played Monday-morning -quarterback. It will shock you and it is a problem, but not a crisis.
I know it is impossible to give advice and direction in a situation one has never experienced, but being able to improvise and know where to find the solution is a key to successful leadership. A supervisor just doesn't call Homicide, SIU or Narcotics and just dump the case on them; a true supervisor prepares, coordinates and supervises the case through their guidance and skills, then goes to the specialty units for help. It's unfortunate that doesn't happen and the subordinates recognize this fault and it ultimately affects morale.
Leaders in the Sheriff's Office should be built over time. Trained, mentored or cultivated from an early stage in their career. After 6-years in law enforcement someone should know what career path to take. An operational type, meaning career deputy or a supervisors path. The Sheriff's Office is in great need of a leadership academy much like the military leadership schools. Given the current schedule of practically having 6-months off per year coupled with vacation, comp, holiday and training time taken off; how much experience can a person get in 5 -years. Think about it, the first year is probation and the 2nd is figuring out your style of doing things. It accumulates to not that much experience for a person to be then eligible for promotion to Sergeant in 5-years and Lt. in 7-years. It should be 7 years for Sgt and 10 for lieutenant.
The 5 to 1 span of control is also insane. Next time you're on the scene of a critical incident, generally a police shooting, look at the one's standing around doing nothing. There will be at the very least the following: One Colonel, 1 or 2 two Majors, 1 to 3 Captains, 1 to 5 Lieutenants and 3 to 5 Sergeants that play no part nor do any of them take an investigative role in the case. Then you have maybe 3 detectives, agents or task force people to do the real work with one Sergeant who is hopefully a working supervisor and not a stand around. That's an example of the extreme in the waste of tax payers dollars.
Each detective is out-numbered about 8 or 10 to 1. This is where that 5 to 1 span of control at the Sergeant level spawns into departments with too many people with nothing to do but be given a briefing or notification.
Many of you just went through a grueling promotional process. Its unfortunate many of the people responsible for creating that process were ordained in their careers with a simple waive of the hand or stroke of a Sheriff's pen they dug holes for.
In order to forget where you came from, you must first travel that unbeaten path most people don't want to take.
We're in a transition and you'll just have to watch and enjoy the ride, but most important you have to be responsible and educate yourself and not be functionally dependent on every thing you're told. Make sure you understand and know where any adivce and direction will ultimately take you or the case you're involved in.
Great times are ahead in the PBSO. Concentrate on your career and interests and forget about the other guys and gals getting handouts. It'll just make you keel over in your first year of retirement.
Ride the storm; the imbeciles will trip and fall by their own doing.

02-27-2007, 07:48 AM
Captain BB is conducting a study with Lt K concerning staffing. They believe there is enough Sergeants and Lieutenants presently in the LE dept. that there need not be any further promotions. What do you think? Keep in mind the Sheriff's vision to have adequate supervision in place at all shifts, untis, division levels, etc. Also keep in mind the future mergers predicted to come about very soon. Capt BB has cited sergeants can come out of training, IA, and all speciality divisions. He has also stated all districts only need two sergeants per shift. Lieutenants would be spread more thinly by covering additional areas and comming from speciality units. What do you think?

Who ever gave you your information, he/she is totally wrong. In fact everything stated is completely 100% inaccurate.

I suggest you check your facts.

02-28-2007, 03:36 AM
Oh and you know right? Another asshole posting stuff he has no idea about.

02-28-2007, 03:46 AM
I personally spoke with Capt. B who told me his study and what his intentions were. We all know the Sheriff has the last word, thank goodness. So before YOU post something you are not aware of, get YOUR facts straight.

02-28-2007, 05:14 AM
Captain B is conducting a study with Lt K concerning staffing. They believe there is enough Sergeants and Lieutenants presently in the LE dept. that there need not be any further promotions. What do you think? Keep in mind the Sheriff's vision to have adequate supervision in place at all shifts, untis, division levels, etc. Also keep in mind the future mergers predicted to come about very soon. Capt BB has cited sergeants can come out of training, IA, and all speciality divisions. He has also stated all districts only need two sergeants per shift. Lieutenants would be spread more thinly by covering additional areas and comming from speciality units. What do you think?

Who ever gave you your information, he/she is totally wrong. In fact everything stated is completely 100% inaccurate.

I suggest you check your facts before posting

I personally spoke with Capt. B who told me his study and what his intentions were. We all know the Sheriff has the last word, thank goodness. So before YOU post something you are not aware of, get YOUR facts straight.

Again, your info is false. Completely. Post what you want. But, it is all wrong.

How about call CPT B or LT K directly and find out yourself. There's an idea.

03-01-2007, 03:15 AM
Maybe you should learn how to read. I spoke with Capt. B personally before posting this. I hope you are not an employee here. Go back and get your GED and then come back and post.

03-02-2007, 02:37 AM
My postings are true and accurate, unlike your post. You probably aren't even an employee here because you don't know anything about the truth. Yes you are right, that is what LEO Affairs unfortunately has to offer.

03-02-2007, 03:05 AM
Again, I'm so moved.

You can repeat it all you want, it won't make it any more accurate or true.

If you are so sure of your information and can stand up to your statements, how about identify yourself? How about ID yourself.

Have a nice day, as we say. :D

03-02-2007, 03:35 AM
I do apologize. I made a typo.

MOD 1
03-02-2007, 03:48 AM
Please let's make sure that we follow the Terms of Use when posting. I had to delete one post and another that quoted it due to violating the Terms of Use.

Thank you,

MOD 1

03-02-2007, 04:27 AM
Everyone is invited to view both Capt B and Lt K's IA files and HR files. These are open per FL law. This will tell you what they have been investigated for and where they have been. The facts will speak for themselves. Unless Capt B, he told me about his plan which I posted here. It is a shame some people have the ability to post about what they don't know and to cover the untruth. Thank you MOD1 for stepping in.

03-02-2007, 04:43 AM
LT33, or whatever you are. I happen to know LT M and there is nothing in his IA file. In fact, before he was promoted, he was in IA.

I think the question has been who are you? I'd like to look in your IA file. Why don't you stand up for yourself and say who you are. You seem pretty confident, so why don't you? The reason is crystal clear.

You have posted inaccurate information about a project they have worked on. BTW, it is not what you have stated, but rather about increasing the watch commander staffing for the western districts. Nothing more. I know this because I have seen a preliminary copy. It presents several recommendations to the Sheriff to increase watch commander coverage. Lieutenants is the rank they are looking to increase the coverage on.

Like it has been said being loud doesn't make you right.

03-02-2007, 04:45 AM
Thank goodness MOD1 stepped in here Lt33. This guest can not be an employee of PBSO. It must be a FL DOC inmate again gaining access to the computer. You can tell by his demeanor he is not a DS, that is for sure. His attitute stinks. If he was a DS, he wouldn't last long the way he acts. BTW, I had the opportunity many months ago to view Capt's IA. Thanks for posting this info. We all heard the rumors. Now we know.

03-02-2007, 04:47 AM
Doesnt the reduction of supervisors fly in the face of all powerful Acreditation? Standards must be kept or we lose it...not that I am a big fan of it but in this case I'm happy it is in place.

03-02-2007, 05:23 AM
LT33, or whatever you are. I happen to know LT M and there is nothing in his IA file. In fact, before he was promoted, he was in IA.

I think the question has been who are you? I'd like to look in your IA file. Why don't you stand up for yourself and say who you are. You seem pretty confident, so why don't you? The reason is crystal clear.

You have posted inaccurate information about a project they have worked on. BTW, it is not what you have stated, but rather about increasing the watch commander staffing for the western districts. Nothing more. I know this because I have seen a preliminary copy. It presents several recommendations to the Sheriff to increase watch commander coverage. Lieutenants is the rank they are looking to increase the coverage on.

Like it has been said being loud doesn't make you right.

I think we have the answer about what was clearly asked by several people:

And, in response:

It must be a FL DOC inmate again gaining access to the computer. You can tell by his demeanor he is not a DS, that is for sure.

It is 0012 hrs., inmates are not out at this hour (nice try).

Now, back to reality.

Noone has looked to reduce the span of supervision or the ratio of sergeant throughout the agency.

One thing more, to clear the confusion, the Moderator deleted postings because they were personal attacks against a captain disguised as a legitimate beef.

03-03-2007, 12:31 AM
There were no personal attacks on the Capt BB. His IA file speaks for itself. His HR file also says much. No one ever stated Lt K was ever under any investigation, it was said he has not done anything as a Lt. except being an administrative secretary to Colonel G. Don't read into it. As for the preliminary copy you read, it definately is not the same one I saw.

03-03-2007, 12:33 AM
Hold your horses boys. People speak of things they don't know. This person is onviously Capt BB or Lt K trying to cover their tracks. Don't get offended boys. Just tell the truth, that is all we ask.

03-03-2007, 12:40 AM
It was asked by several people, several differnt times to identify yourself. So, here it goes again.

It is easy to throw lies. Be the man you claim to be. Tell us all who you are. Then, we can evaluate the source.

The whole subject was about a staffing study that you got the facts all wrong about. Clearly, your whole intent was to not discuss a valid issue.