PDA

View Full Version : Ride alongs

02-25-2007, 02:28 PM
I am just curious as to whether or not deputies enjoy having someone shadow them. I am supposed to be doing a ride a long next week but I don't want to impose on the deputy. Any advice for the ride along?

02-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Absolutely. As soon as you get in the car, tell the deputy you are hungry and offer to buy a steak dinner for both of you.
Just kidding. In answer to your question, the deputies are like everybody else. Some are less sociable than others, and generally don't take ride-alongs. Others welcome civilian riders or out-of area leos and are proud to show off the agency and give you an inside view of our day to day duties. If the purpose of your visit is to check out the agency for future employment, you can't go wrong, because you will be able to see what you would actually be doing as a deputy as well as meeting some of the people you would be working with.
If you are just curious about how we do our job, it will be a real education. The comment I have heard most often from people who have done a ride is that they had no idea how detailed and technical our job is, and how much knowledge we had to keep in our heads to do it correctly.
Either way, when you do your ride, ask questions! There are no dumb questions here, so ask! The deputy will be happy to explain anything you want to know. Mostly, relax and have fun...We have the best job in the world (although not the best paid lol) and most of us are proud to do it, and even prouder to have a chance to present it to others.

Enjoy and be safe.

02-27-2007, 01:35 AM
Are there any Collier County Deputies that have AOL or AIM screen names that would be willing to talk to another Collier County SO Civillian through IM's? I have lots of questions in regards to being Certified and certain laws. I want to make sure Certified is the way I really want to go before I go through the Academy. If anyone is interested, my screen name on AIM is CJOLaliberte2003. Thanks in advance!

02-27-2007, 01:35 AM
Are there any Collier County Deputies that have AOL or AIM screen names that would be willing to talk to another Collier County SO Civillian through IM's? I have lots of questions in regards to being Certified and certain laws. I want to make sure Certified is the way I really want to go before I go through the Academy. If anyone is interested, my screen name on AIM is CJOLaliberte2003. Thanks in advance!