PDA

View Full Version : firearms

02-21-2007, 08:24 AM
Just a quick question on firearms.What is the real law on concealed firearms.The state can't give me a straight answer.I'm a former PEACE OFFICER from NYC.I now live in New Port Richey.I've put in for my florida permit. Recently I have been appointed to Dept of JUVENILE JUSTICE as a Detention Officer. We all know there is a big and growing gang problem,In the Tampa bay area.

All I here is how the inmates rob,cheat steal.From helpless victims all day.If i'm legal WILL I be hassled if i'm in the Walmart or Barnhills if someone see's my firearm from under my shirt.I've run into so many inmates in my area, it is unnerving Since they see me with my family.

please any advice would be helpfull.
thank you and stay safe.
JJDO

02-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Here is the easiest way to handle it, move back to NY and take 20 of your closest friends and family with you.

02-21-2007, 06:11 PM
lol guest, I like the way you think!

02-22-2007, 12:23 AM
My husband carries when we go out and has never had a problem. He also places his badge on his belt so that its easy to be seen. I wasn't comfortable at first with him wearing when we are out but like you stated he runs into inmates all the time since he works in the jail. You never know what could happen. Be safe everyone

02-22-2007, 03:29 AM
If your husband displays his badge on his belt when he is off duty then he is a poser. Im sure that he runs around with a sheriff' t-shirt and hat on all the time.

Figures he is from the jail.

02-22-2007, 04:03 AM
PLEASE LETS STOP THE BABY GAMES AND INSULTS.I ASKED A SERIOUS QUESTION.IF YOU CAN NOT GIVE A STRAIGHT ANSWER.PLEASE DON'T REPLY.
I WAS NOT DISREPECTFUL TO ANYONE,AN YET PEOPLE ARE TELLING TO GO BACK TO NEW YORK.COULD THE PERSON WHO POSTED THAT REPLY TELL ME WHY.I'VE NEVER DONE YOU WRONG.
YET AGAIN I STILL DON'T HAVE A SOLID ANSWER.
THANK YOU AND STAY SAFE.
JJDO.

02-22-2007, 04:27 AM
Number one if you have a permit then you can carry, I am not sure what your policy or rights in your position are to carry.

The one that says they carry and wear the badge doesn't work at the SO or he risking his career and if he is he is being very stupid. If you are from the state and doing that not sure you have the right to do and still stupid but that is your thing.

02-22-2007, 01:08 PM
If someone sees your firearm under your shirt and calls us, you will be checked out. Just wear extra large shirts and be cognizant of how you carry. If you remain compliant with the requirements of the concealed weapon permit you will be fine. I don't blame you for carrying.

Regarding the CO who wears his badge when out in plain clothes. Not a smart thing to do. You can conceal your firearm with your badge in the wallet and remain in compliance with the GO. If you strap on a belt holster and pop a badge on your belt, you may be called upon to enforce laws, or take action in an incident you have no business becoming involved in and expose yourself and family to more danger than you should and a heck of a lot of liability the SO will not be happy with you over. If you want to walk around in public with a gun and badge out for everyone to see, submit a transfer request and come get screwed over with the heavy call load with the rest of us...

Be safe!

02-22-2007, 07:32 PM
My husband carries when we go out and has never had a problem. He also places his badge on his belt so that its easy to be seen. I wasn't comfortable at first with him wearing when we are out but like you stated he runs into inmates all the time since he works in the jail. You never know what could happen. Be safe everyone

I just read this to my husband and got my butt chewed. He does keep his firearm covered at all times and I didn't realized that was very important when carrying off duty.

I apoloize for the misunderstanding :oops: :oops:

02-22-2007, 11:25 PM
i didnt read where she said he was a detention deputy but thanks for trying to stir it up again. thank god sooner or later all road deputies will be former detention deputies so this crap can stop.

02-23-2007, 12:16 AM
So when did White say all new hires would go straight to Corrections?

I don’t think he ever did. He hired a few people and promised them the road after awhile.

02-23-2007, 01:12 AM
GUEST YOU ARE A TURD! GO BACK AND READ ALL THE THREADS FROM THE BEGINING! NO-ONE IS STIRRING UP ANYTHIGN EXCEPT JERKS LIKE YOU THAT DON'T READ STUFF.

02-23-2007, 03:23 AM
Why can't a detention deputy carry off duty when civilians can wear uniforms and honorary badges?

02-23-2007, 03:44 AM
That’s pretty simple….Because without a concealed weapon’s permit the Detention Deputy is not allowed to carry a weapon off duty.

The agency does allow you to carry a weapon to and from work when in uniform if you go through the proper procedure to get that approved.

02-23-2007, 03:56 AM

do you read anything about a c.o.
I DONT YOU MORON

02-23-2007, 05:29 AM
Dear GUEST don't you read anything? the original post reads "I have recently been appointed to the Dept of Juvenile Justice as a DETENTION OFFICER" now whos the moron?

02-23-2007, 12:57 PM
WORKING IN THE JAIL PRETTY MUCH STAND ON ITS OWN I WOULD THINK.

ROR ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT WORK IN THE JAIL WITH ARREST POWERS, BUT WHEN IN COMES DOWN TO IT THEY ARE DETENTION DEPUTIES.

02-23-2007, 08:35 PM
PLEASE WHEN I POSTED THIS .ALL I WANTED WAS SOME USEFULL KNOWLEDGE ON THE LAW.THAT THE STATE COULD NOT ANSWER.PLEASE STOP ALL OF THE INTER AGENCY NAME CALLING.

THANK YOU TO THE DEPUTY THAT GAVE THE GOOD HEADS UP.
JJDO.
BE SAFE

02-24-2007, 01:08 AM
Dear GUEST don't you read anything? the original post reads "I have recently been appointed to the Dept of Juvenile Justice as a DETENTION OFFICER" now whos the moron?
hey dip spit did you not read the big quote i posted on my message....wasnt speaking of the original post. read back idiot and you will feel stupid

02-24-2007, 01:52 AM
WORKING IN THE JAIL PRETTY MUCH STAND ON ITS OWN I WOULD THINK.

ROR ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT WORK IN THE JAIL WITH ARREST POWERS, BUT WHEN IN COMES DOWN TO IT THEY ARE DETENTION DEPUTIES.

BACK WHEN DETENTION AND PATROL HAD DIFFERENT BADGES AND PATCHES AND A DETENTION DEPUTY WENT IN ROR THEY HAD TO TURN IN THE DETENTION OFFICER STUFF AND GET L.E. STUFF. WHERE DOES THAT PUT THEM NOW? ARE THEY L.E. OR DETENTION? SAME QUESTION FOR WARRANTS NOW THAT THEY ARE UNDER DETENTION. I KNOW BOTH SECTIONS WORK TOGETHER ON DUTY.

02-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Posted: 02/16/07 07:40:21 Post subject: Road vs Jail

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I must say I am truly embarassed for the way you people-my fellow certified deputies- act on this public forum. Almost every post on this forum ends up the same way, the road vs. jail fight. LETS ALL GET ONE THING STRAIGHT-- WE ARE ALL (LIKE IT OR NOT) CERTIFIED SHERIFFS DEPUTIES. If I had wanted your job I would have gone through the road academy, and if you would have wanted my job you would have gone through the detention academy. Both sides of the house need eachother (AGAIN LIKE IT OR NOT). Now I know some unintelligient jerk will post "the jail could be a bunch of civilian posts", or something of the like. But could we try to actually appear somewhat intelligent in the things we post here. For those of you road deputies that are gonna say things like a civilian could do my job -may I point out a few things =
1. I deal on an average basis with 90-100 inmates at a time / you 1-3.
2. We are locked in with only pepperspray, a radio and our wits/ you have a taser, gun, asp, pepperspray, shotgun.
3.I have to deal with the same 10-15's (signal 20's) constantly / you may not see the same 10-15 ever.
4. We have uses of force on a monthly/weekly and sometimes daily basis/ you may go months without having to go "hands on"
Now the upside
1. I have backup seconds away when needed/ you wonder if backup will make it
2. I don't have to go into unfamiliar houses and wonder if someone is hiding behind me / you do.
3. I can be relatively sure ( not positive-they are resourceful) that my 10-15's don't have weapons / you are never sure.
4. I don't have to stand in the rain/cold/hurricane weather / you are required to do your duty ( kind of like the old saying of the mailmen-never rain, sleet or dark of night)
Now for ALL my fellow deputies -if you think the grass is greener-Go to crossover and try it. I still believe that we need eachother Both sides of the house.
Now try to be safe out there (Patrol) & be safe in there (Detention)
Everyone be sure to end your shift safe and go home to your families-I Hate when I see black bands on badges.

02-24-2007, 02:44 PM
we already read that one. does your family get tired of hearing you

02-24-2007, 05:22 PM
The people in the in jail don't know what they don't know. They only know what happens in their little walled world.

They think that just because they took the cross over that they can pick up a gun and shag calls, take peoples freedom away, change peoples lifes for the better or worse, make life and death decisions, etc. It's not so easy.

Many apply, few get called up, less are left standing at the end of the day. I understand that you are in your chosen field and no I would not want your job but DO NOT compare your job to mine. It's just not the same. You got your title and pay parity now be satisfied.

02-24-2007, 07:28 PM
well said

02-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Give it a rest!!

02-25-2007, 03:30 AM
THAT IS A GREAT WAY OF SAYING YOU CAN NOT HOLD MY JOCKY SO GET OVER IT WOULD YOU. TAKE YOUR GUN AND YOUR POLICE CAR AND GET OVER THE ISSUE ALL TOGETHER DRIVE TILL YOU GET IT OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM.

04-15-2007, 02:18 AM
ABSOLUTELY YES ! ! What narrow minded individual came to the conclusion that todays juvi wont be tommorows cop killer? And what happens when the DJJ Officer sends the "Sweet Lil Angel" to a detention facility til he/she is 18, and then he/she is released and MAD AS HELL???
It is my understanding DJJ Officers are FULLY trained, just as I am. Because he/she is a juvi, they shouldnt/cant use deadly force?? How do you expalin that to the surviving family members when someone gets killed. The National LEO Wall is littel consolation. Think again ! ! Juvi's do not have a full grasp of death and how FINAL it is. They see someone get killed on TV and turn the chanell and there is the same guy, alive and well. Look at the gang=bangers....they are juvi's and are some of the most vicious people on the street. DJJ Officers would be at their mercy w/o a weapon. I would get a CCF permit and carry anyway. Its better to be at trial with 12, than carried by 6.

I SUPPORT the right to carry for all LEO's