PDA

View Full Version : NPPD union demands hefty pay increases

News Flash
02-17-2007, 12:38 PM
NPPD union demands hefty pay increases
NORTH PORT -- The North Port police are asking to be among the highest-paid officers from Tampa to Naples, under a proposal submitted to city officials Friday.

Base pay for officers in the growing department would start at $42,400, and lieutenants at the top of their pay grades would earn $92,553, putting North Port above all but one of the 13 law enforcement agencies the Police Benevolent Association studied.

The negotiations are now in their 11th month.
Click here (http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070217/NEWS/702170317/-1/Help07) for the full story.

02-17-2007, 02:52 PM
I think the city needs more officers and to do that we need to pay for it. But how does a growing city attract employees, they sweeten the offer. I moved from Manatee County and lived in North Port for 5 years. If North Port were to change into Manatee County with its crime and gang issues I would have to move again to protect my family. Pay the cops what they want and keep the crime out of North Port! I'll pay the taxes!

02-18-2007, 02:36 AM
The SSO is watching this contract very closely. Pay for NPPD brass has already surpassed SSO brass bigtime. If NPPD line officers become the second highest paid officers in this area (behind Tampa PD), then it will have a ripple effect.

I dunno if SSO can ever catch up with the way things are going. It remains to be seen.

02-23-2007, 08:31 PM
this heading should read NPPD demands FAIR pay raise. We all got into this job knowing it was not going to make us millionares, we just want a salary that is competative to other N. P. city employees. Should a Grass cutter make more then a cop? Hell No!!! We all know that and soon we will have a contract that proves it. Let's just stick together. It's us against them not us against us. Remember united we stand!!

News Flash
02-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Follow-up story:
Ed Fitzpatrick, chief negotiator for the Police Benevolent Association, and a handful of officers and dispatchers, walked out of negotiations after meeting for less than an hour.

Neither side on Friday said they were at an impasse, which would result in costly and lengthy arbitration and would give the City Commission the ultimate say on what the police will earn.

"I don't want to jump the gun," Fitzpatrick said after the meeting. "But ... it's a way we could go."
Click here (http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070224/NEWS/702240414/-1/Help07) for the full story.

02-27-2007, 12:09 AM
WELL IF WE DO NOT GET A GOOD CONTRACT I AM LEAVING FOR A REAL CRIME FIGHTING AGENCY. THIS SMALL TOWN AGENCY LACK OF A REAL CITY ENVIRONMENT IS KILLING ME.

EX-PD
03-07-2007, 03:36 AM
From what I can see, increases in major crimes has hit the city in the past 12-18 months.

Soon, we will have gangs, just like Bradenton, Tampa, and other areas. They will move here because they will feel North Port is a sleepy little town where the police will have to play the game of "catch up." As our surrounding towns put the pressure on them, they will move to an area where they feel there will be less resistance.

There is already a drug issue, that may be out of control.

For North Port to be considered a "city" police department, you need, for example, more than one detective doing domestic violence and rape work.

SRO's either have to be juvenile officers, or the PD will have to start a juvenile division. And that may be the basis of Captain Estrada's report as reported in the paper, last week I think.

What you do not need is swat. You should look at some models, like NYPD that has an ES (Emergency Services) department. They are tactical, two-man patrols who perform a lot of the duties that swat does, and respond to jobs (calls, or whatever they are called now.) NYPD used to put all the vietnam vets and those with military experience. Road patrol does containment while these "nuts" kick down doors. And for domestics, one car dispatches two officers. It is a win-win and should be an easy sell.

A traffic and neighborhood unit is a good start.

However, I fear that crime will out pace your training and experience.

Higher pay will keep veteran police officers, which younger officers can draw upon their experience. However, you recruiting has to start targeting more seasoned officers who have exposure to the types of crimes you are going to start seeing.

The detective bureau is the key - you must have seasoned officers that stay detectives as a career.

I do not know what the average experience level is, but if the city gets hit with the major city crimes, you will need detectives who can get the job done.

Now, I have not read anything about training. Are you also looking at having the city provide more training, or is that something the chief has to look into?

ex-pd.

03-07-2007, 02:31 PM
I was raised by a leo and am now married to a NPPD leo. Hearing and reading the commentary from some North Port citizens, I realize there are a lot of people out there that need to be educated. It's not that they're stupid people (even though they make stupid comments), it's that they only see one side of things. For those people, I have to ask some questions:

Who do you want to come to your aid when someone is breaking into your house, a well trained officer who is well rested and satisfied with his job or an officer who is exhausted from working extra details so he could support himself and his family? Do you understand that at some point, the low pay will begin to attract losers who sign on with NPPD because they couldn't get on with the higher paying agencies? People go into law enforcement because it's what they want to do, a calling of sorts. Believe me, it's not for the money. But reality is, they have to survive and support families like everyone else. What message is being sent to them when we pay meter readers more than police officers? How many times a day does a meter reader run the risk of being shot at or fought with? Does a meter reader have to wear a polyester uniform with a bullet proof vest underneath when it's 95 degrees outside? No, the officers aren't required by the department to wear a vest. We leo wives beg them to wear it because we know that every time go on a call they could be shot at. We know that every time they leave for work, they might not come home. NPPD officers aren't asking for the moon, they are asking to make a decent living for doing a very dangerous job. They risk their lives for the people of North Port every day and the thanks they get for their work is low pay and verbal abuse by the people they serve and protect. Many people don't like cops........until they need one.

Has anyone noticed that many of the negative NPPD comments have poor grammer and misspelled words? Enough said.

03-08-2007, 01:11 AM
I guess it's obvious that when someone would show support for our police officers and a moron would say, "clean the house", that u are not a North Port Officer. Just another wanna be!

03-08-2007, 09:07 AM
When I moved to North Port I was an LEO at another agency. I moved here becasue North Port had a reputation of keeping a clean community. Tough on crime and criminals. I was aware of the fact that North Port was very aggresive with traffic enforcement and that did not bother me. After all, traffic is where you find your criminals, they all drive cars and they are usually up to no good. The only folks that complain are the bitter ones that received tickets or now have a criminal record because of something stupid that they did here. As for the majority of residents they want a safe community with an aggresive police force, that keeps your town safe. The whole point of keeping the pay scale up is to attract the best candidates and keep this city safe. Low pay attracts crapy officers and that brings trouble. I know that the citizens want a safe community, I have been a cop along time. The criminals do not want us to maintain a strong force so they can do their dirty deeds. When it comes down to it we are not asking for the city to open the banks accounts and drain the main fund. We are tyring to keep this place a safe place to live. Take pride in your community and support your police.

Kelly_ar31
03-17-2007, 04:27 PM
I was raised by a leo and am now married to a NPPD leo. Hearing and reading the commentary from some North Port citizens, I realize there are a lot of people out there that need to be educated. It's not that they're stupid people (even though they make stupid comments), it's that they only see one side of things. For those people, I have to ask some questions:

Who do you want to come to your aid when someone is breaking into your house, a well trained officer who is well rested and satisfied with his job or an officer who is exhausted from working extra details so he could support himself and his family? Do you understand that at some point, the low pay will begin to attract losers who sign on with NPPD because they couldn't get on with the higher paying agencies? People go into law enforcement because it's what they want to do, a calling of sorts. Believe me, it's not for the money. But reality is, they have to survive and support families like everyone else. What message is being sent to them when we pay meter readers more than police officers? How many times a day does a meter reader run the risk of being shot at or fought with? Does a meter reader have to wear a polyester uniform with a bullet proof vest underneath when it's 95 degrees outside? No, the officers aren't required by the department to wear a vest. We leo wives beg them to wear it because we know that every time go on a call they could be shot at. We know that every time they leave for work, they might not come home. NPPD officers aren't asking for the moon, they are asking to make a decent living for doing a very dangerous job. They risk their lives for the people of North Port every day and the thanks they get for their work is low pay and verbal abuse by the people they serve and protect. Many people don't like cops........until they need one.

Has anyone noticed that many of the negative NPPD comments have poor grammer and misspelled words? Enough said.

I stated months ago the NP police need a raise on HT forums . When I saw that someone browsing the web for the city made more than them, I almost flipped. It was under this sn or yummy. I do not always agree with the police but that does not mean I think you life is worthless. I have a family member in Baltimore county that has been shot at, rammed and jumped as an officer. His wife is a nervous wreck daily. I almost feel more sorry for her. We are human, we will B*tch, moan and groan. It's human nature. But because we disagree at times doesn't mean it's always.

mod 352
03-17-2007, 10:01 PM
It is nice to see that someone actually registered and created a screen name before posting on this site. Thanks Kelly.

03-17-2007, 11:09 PM
It is nice to see that someone actually registered and created a screen name before posting on this site. Thanks Kelly.

That would ruin the fun of anonymous posting don't you think? I doubt you would get as many posts on here if people had to register. :?

04-26-2007, 06:50 AM
I have been a cop for 4 years in Bradenton, and I just want to say that I hope you guys get the raise you need and it would really help your department morale alot, but I think that you should be paid more that a metermaid, but everyone always thinks that becuase your a cop you get shot a daily or will not come home at night...I am here to tell you that most days are boring with no good calls...I mean we are real busy in B-town and have the call volume to prove it on most nights I answer 20 calls for service and write 5-7 reports in a 10 hr shift, and somewhere in there I have to take a meal break...The point is most of our calls is responding to a crime that has already taken place and their isn't really any danger to us, also most criminals are running the other way, and most officers are killed in vehicle crashes or officer initiated calls. Now thats not to say the job insnt dangerous, becuase it is but its not what you see on T.V. I realize that I have not worked a 20 year career or anything but we get it all here(s-41,s-5, s-24, s-35) along with the regular stuff but every good once in a while you will get an idiot that want to s-31 a cop or something but thats it most of the time its real boring and you get the same calls time after time dealing with the same people everyday, so thats my 2 cents but you do deserve more mony so good luck and stay safe out there.

BPD LEO

04-26-2007, 02:12 PM

That would ruin the fun of anonymous posting don't you think? I doubt you would get as many posts on here if people had to register. :?

Oh yeah......Mod 352 runs this board like a third world country......better watch out and don't say anything critical of the city or NPPD or your IP address will be checked and you'll have a large white Blimp hovering over your house.....Thank you President Chavez!!.....I mean mod 352. :roll:

04-26-2007, 02:41 PM
However, I fear that crime will out pace your training and experience.

Higher pay will keep veteran police officers, which younger officers can draw upon their experience. However, you recruiting has to start targeting more seasoned officers who have exposure to the types of crimes you are going to start seeing.

The detective bureau is the key - you must have seasoned officers that stay detectives as a career.

I do not know what the average experience level is, but if the city gets hit with the major city crimes, you will need detectives who can get the job done.

Now, I have not read anything about training. Are you also looking at having the city provide more training, or is that something the chief has to look into?

ex-pd.[/quote]

Very well said.....and training is very lacking and amongst many other things that a sophiscated agency would possess....like their own polygrapher....etc.....but they still want to be the highest paid officers around...while they call for help from a lower paid agency, SSO, to come help them with major crimes. SSO is not UNION....so it's all about the money and being UNIONized. They're going to bankrupt the city or drive people out of their homes with sky high property tax. The city commissioners are embisils.....the Union will just run over them and they don't care how much it costs the city or its taxpayers.....but I have to be careful what I say....or the mod squad will barking at me again.....Let's just say being the highest paid doesn't make you a better officer or more capable of handling a hot bed of crime which could be the direction we're headed if measures aren't taken soon to ensure the crime rate does not continue to spike and officers are better trained and equipped with the necessary tools.....and that is not just a gun and a badge. :wink:

04-26-2007, 04:04 PM
The SSO is watching this contract very closely. Pay for NPPD brass has already surpassed SSO brass bigtime. If NPPD line officers become the second highest paid officers in this area (behind Tampa PD), then it will have a ripple effect.

I dunno if SSO can ever catch up with the way things are going. It remains to be seen.

Read the article the increase doesn't affect top brass...but I'm sure it will and currently does surpass the Sgt and Lt SSO pay plus all the unlimited OT they must be allowed to soak up from the budget. To be the highest paid agency from Tampa to Naples and above all but one of the highest paid agencies in the PBA and still be NORTH PORT is unspeakable.....it's like paying someone in excess of $80 GRAND to write a book about North Port....which can only make good bed time reading......another NOPO blunder..... :idea: Where is the fiscal responsibility????????????????

04-26-2007, 06:07 PM
North Port PD is not asking to be the highest paid agency from Tamp to Naples. Tampa is the higest paid in the state for instance. The city of Sarasota is one of the top paying agencies in this area. Naples, Collier County, Cape Coral, Fort Myers all are higher paid departments than North Port. North Port is at the bottom right now and needs to move up.. As far as bankrupting the city, the PD is paid much less than the city paramedics who stage in the area and wait for the Pd to respond. I do not know what you are talking about with unlimited overtime. If you are speaking of the I75 detail that is pre arranged with the budget to deter speeding through the city and lower the fatality rate on the interstate. Sounds pretty proactive and responsible. As far as hiring Officers that have expierence and training, well to do so you will have to bring the salary up. Now how will you attract seasoned officers with a low paying salary? Right now we have many officers that have come from other agencies with expierence but that is going to slow with the lack of competative pay.

04-26-2007, 06:18 PM
I am really sorry for all of my previous posts. Sometimes I cannot keep myself from speaking like a crazy person. I really know nothing about North Port PD. I only see things in the paper and come to my own conclusions about things. I will try to be better in the future but I really need my medication first. I wish you all the best of luck with your pay raises. Stay safe out there and thanks for making my life safe with all that you do for public safety.

04-27-2007, 10:49 AM
nice try "guest"....you should try spell check ...works wonders for those too illiterate to spell those big words.....hopefully you use it when writing your reports......or you might not stay competative

04-27-2007, 11:01 AM
As far as hiring Officers that have expierence and training, well to do so you will have to bring the salary up. Now how will you attract seasoned officers with a low paying salary? Right now we have many officers that have come from other agencies with expierence but that is going to slow with the lack of competative pay.[/quote]

There are other reasons seasoned or new officers wouldn't want to work for North Port and the money wouldn't be the reason. I know a few of those....Also, what about training in house instead of relying on hiring trained "seasoned" officers from the outside? Everyone on board should be highly trained instead of relying on higher salaries to attract a few that can show the rest what to do....? :?:

04-27-2007, 03:28 PM
nice try "guest"....you should try spell check ...works wonders for those too illiterate to spell those big words.....hopefully you use it when writing your reports......or you might not stay competative

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO

OMGOD!!! MY SIDES HURT

This from the man who just spelled imbeciles as "embisils" in a previous post. MAN talk about calling the kettle black, pot. hehehe well thanks for my laugh for the day.

04-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Daisy Duke is no man. She is a split tail wanna be cop!

04-27-2007, 04:34 PM
I don't even think he/she's law enforcement to be honest... I could be wrong.. maybe some of you know who he/she is.

I get the feeling that "it" is A) a terminated employee of old or B) a no one just trying to cause problems. In any case "it" is certainly making itself out to be an "embisil"...

04-28-2007, 01:37 PM

A split tail? What is a split tail? Is that what you call female officers that work with you or is that what you call your mother, sister, daughter, or just all females in general. Sounds like you need more than training. I feel sorry for the women that have to work with you. These posts look like some of you guys have a lot of hatred towards women unless they are hitting on you. Pathetic.

04-28-2007, 03:00 PM

It's true.....I am a man....that is why I can't spell.....and I had my split tail surgically repaired so that I could work amongst NP's finest without being slammed as a split tail!!!! :evil:

04-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Once again I am sorry I forgot to take my medication again.

04-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Give Daisy a break. You guys should be ahamed of yourselves referring to women coworkers as "split tails" or as "wannabes". No wonder there are hardly any women on the force at North Port. I wouldn't want to deal with that if I was a woman. I would work elsewhere and looks like they do. You need more training not a raise.

04-30-2007, 06:50 PM
I dont believe that they were talking about co-workers or other women, just the beast daisy duke.

04-30-2007, 10:29 PM
You would be a beast too if your "split tail" was sewn shut..... :shock:

05-15-2007, 02:41 PM
LEO wife said: Has anyone noticed that many of the negative NPPD comments have poor grammer and misspelled words? Enough said.[/quote]

Has anyone noticed the poor grammar and misspelled words of the individuals in law enforcement posting on this board.....? Enough said. You need a spell check.....some of the most embarassing grammar and misspelled words are being revealed. :oops: Maybe Mod 352 can install one....he needs to utilize as well.

05-15-2007, 07:36 PM
LEO wife said: Has anyone noticed that many of the negative NPPD comments have poor grammer and misspelled words? Enough said.

Has anyone noticed the poor grammar and misspelled words of the individuals in law enforcement posting on this board.....? Enough said. You need a spell check.....some of the most embarassing grammar and misspelled words are being revealed. :oops: Maybe Mod 352 can install one....he needs to utilize as well.[/quote]

Now I don't have a PHD in English but I noticed the following: There are many mistakes in many posts. Who wrote them we do not know. I did look at the MODS posts and they like fine to me.

05-16-2007, 11:48 AM
you have to know how to spell yourself before you realize words are misspelled....

05-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Hey spell checker I think you might need to look at your grammar and spelling. You need spell checker.