SSO takeover of SPD

Moderators: MOD 576, Mod 577, Staff Moderator

SSO takeover of SPD

Postby Guest » 02/28/12 20:40:19

I'm wondering how long it will take before the SSO takes over the SPD

Re: SSO takeover of SPD

Postby Guest » 02/29/12 09:04:12

Why would it? That is the county seat of Sarasota. They are they are the biggest city PD in the county and they are fully self service. Sarasota County is a Charter county therefore we could enact a Metro Sarasota Sheriff's Office just like (Duval County)Jacksonville did years ago. However even knowing Jacksonville Sheriff's Office a city/county Sheriff/Police. They still have municipal agencies within that county defeating the origianl purpose. Too many factors involved

Postby SSO » 02/29/12 19:54:24

SPD should stay a municipal department. They have it good. Very good. They would be foolish to come and work for the SSO. My advice: stay separate (SPD). Keep what you got. Fight to stay strong. You've worked a long time to get what you've got. Don't give it up now. Hopefully it's way too expensive to take over SPD. The county went way into debt taking over the city fire department and the county can't afford to take over SPD.

On the north end, I've needed back up, but I couldn't get it from SSO. Instead, I got it from SPD (and a lot of SPD units too). I couldn't even get back up from my own department. Instead, we have to get it from a completely different agency. Go figure. But Steve Burns says that we have plenty of "down time" and we hardly have any calls for service. Ok whatever. :roll:
SSO

Postby Guest » 02/29/12 20:12:37

Sarasota, like most cities throughout Florida, has run out of wiggle room after five straight years of plummeting tax revenues and skyrocketing costs.

But mounting debt and $329 million in unfunded obligations to retirees have put extra pressure on Sarasota's leaders to either find new ways to fund the government or trim it.

Snyder proposes to gradually consolidate the Sarasota Police Department with the county Sheriff's Office, which would take a significant bite out of the city's costs. More than half of the $58 million spent out of the city's general fund this year goes toward police.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20120229/ARTICLE/120229422/2416/NEWS?p=all&tc=pgall

It would solve a lot of problems.

Postby sso » 02/29/12 20:26:42

"If we don't do this, we'll go under," said Commissioner Shannon Snyder, who fears the city could go bankrupt within the decade.

"We can't afford it."

Snyder proposes to gradually consolidate the Sarasota Police Department with the county Sheriff's Office, which would take a significant bite out of the city's costs.

Should the City of Sarasota even exist?

"At some point, people will say, what is this worth?" Snyder said.

Shannon Snyder is a former sheriff's deputy and he's just one commissioner/vote.
sso

Postby Guest » 02/29/12 20:29:14

sso wrote:
"If we don't do this, we'll go under," said Commissioner Shannon Snyder, who fears the city could go bankrupt within the decade.

"We can't afford it."

Snyder proposes to gradually consolidate the Sarasota Police Department with the county Sheriff's Office, which would take a significant bite out of the city's costs.

Should the City of Sarasota even exist?

"At some point, people will say, what is this worth?" Snyder said.

Shannon Snyder is a former sheriff's deputy and he's just one commissioner/vote.

Commissioner Paul Caragiulo said he agrees drastic changes must be made to heal the city's financial woes.

There's number 2.

Postby Gonja Smoke » 03/01/12 08:59:01

Its not IF - it is WHEN !

Its going to happen.
Gonja Smoke

Postby Guest » 03/01/12 09:18:49

These people are all smoke and mirrors. SO which is it? Snyder a City councilman or commsioner? As for the fallacy of this merger. People think that taking 150 person or 200 whatever the Poice are and put them with the Sheriff's Office is cheaper. You fail to note. Those people are coming to. The Sheriff's Office isnt going to absorb the folks without a price tag.

Not to mention both agencies have very diffrent missons on their approach to crime in downtown venues. I should say a the very least. That would be an educational experience by way of both agencies to have to blend or mend. The brand new city buiding would be too small for the Sheriff's Office to grab so that would be a nice waste of spce thank you city of saasota.

The Sheriff's Office has is own ef problems without taking on anymoe. We do not even have our own free standing LE building. Tell me where to find the Sheriff's Office and I say the only identity we have downtown is the county jail

Think about it,

Office of the Sheriff is downtown
Training Englewood
Driving North Port
Gun Range Nokomis
Evidence-Crime Scene east Sarasota
Training Office Siesta Key
Communications at County Admin
Fleet Osprey
Animal Services Unit East Bee ridge..

Just imagine FTO now adays lolll. Where??? What ??? Huhhh??? :roll:

Postby Guest » 03/01/12 09:35:08

Sheriff's Offices all over Florida have absorbed or replaced Police Departments and saved tons of money for the City Taxpayers, without a noticeable change in the level of service.

Most cities report that they are completely satisfied with the changes.

Postby Guest » 03/01/12 14:07:46

Ok lets Sarasota,West Palm Bch,Tampa,Orlando,Ft. Myers,Bradenton,Panama City,Tallahassee....Sure they have little towns like Tamarac,Weston,Crystal River etc. We are talking about a major city (county seat) with a big call volume and crime rate to go with it

Postby Coming your way » 03/12/12 09:56:38

Guest wrote:Sheriff's Offices all over Florida have absorbed or replaced Police Departments and saved tons of money for the City Taxpayers, without a noticeable change in the level of service.

Most cities report that they are completely satisfied with the changes.

This is the wave of the future. Like it or not.
Coming your way

Postby Guest » 03/12/12 12:13:07

In 1967 a mandate was given by residents of Jacksonville and Duval County with 65 percent of the votes cast in favor of consolidating the city (Jacksonville Police Department) and county governments (Duval County Sheriff's Office). On October 1, 1968, the two governmental bodies were replaced with "a single unified government", the new organization, the Office of the Sheriff - Jacksonville Police, paralleled the name of the new jurisdiction. The four other municipalities within Duval County retained their own police departments. However, the Baldwin city council voted to disband their police department by 2007; at midnight on March 13, 2006, the sheriff's office took over responsibility of police services.

Postby Guest » 03/12/12 18:53:40

You still missed 3 municipalities Atlantic Beach,Neptune Beach and Jacksonville Beach Police Departments in which all function within Duval County, Along with Jax Intntl Airport PD,UNF,School Board Police....Oh yeah its one big Metro. Who you kidding? JSO is a city pension plan. the other 66 counties are not. Sarasota County is already voted as a Charter. The same as Jacksonville but Sarasota city functions on its own budget.
Sorry I do not forsee it happening here. Orlando has a better chance of Merging with Orange County.

Postby no way Jose » 03/12/12 20:00:50

I would hate to see SSO merge with SPD because it would destroy all the bargaining rights that SPD officers have worked so hard for. As a deputy, we have little to no rights. If I had known in the beginning what I know now, I would have serious reservations about being a sheriff's deputy. Most of us fear admin, but not the streets. When I was first hired, an SPD officer said that a sheriff has waaaaay too much power. It's true. It goes to their head.
no way Jose

Postby Guest » 03/13/12 09:16:40

Guest wrote:Ok lets Sarasota,West Palm Bch,Tampa,Orlando,Ft. Myers,Bradenton,Panama City,Tallahassee....Sure they have little towns like Tamarac,Weston,Crystal River etc. We are talking about a major city (county seat) with a big call volume and crime rate to go with it

lol Sarasota is not a major city Magellan. You wouldn't know what a call volume is if it hit you in the face. A tiny little ghetto means nothing. You have a town full of ex-hippie neocons who shop at fresh market. The call 911 when a person parks crooked. Wooaaaa sounds dangerous. I hope you were your vest.

Next

Return to Sarasota County Sheriff's Office