Harrassment in public?

Moderators: MOD 576, Mod 577, Staff Moderator

Harrassment in public?

Postby SSO patrol dog » 04/19/12 10:04:05

Youtube of SSO bailiffs (they are NOT SSO patrol certified):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jwkCUXZtFVQ

Carlos Miller wrote:Fresh from having his wiretapping charges dismissed and by filing a notice to sue the North Port Police Department for $200,000 over his unlawful arrest for filming them in public, Steve Horrigan had another run-in, this time with Sarasota sheriff's deputies.

This time Horrigan was on a public sidewalk and was recording a man who had pulled into a handicapped spot in front of a Sarasota County courthouse because he did not appear to be handicapped.

But recording a man in a public parking lot does not constitute harassment.

Yet that is what the man accused Horrigan of doing when he beckoned a couple of Sarasota Sheriff’s deputies from inside the building.

The deputies stepped outside and accused him of harassment when in reality, they were the ones doing the harassing.

http://www.pixiq.com/article/steve-horr ... his-camera

First SPD arrested that guy for chalking on a public sidewalk. Then NPPD arrested that guy for filming a traffic stop. But I never thought that our SSO guys would come close to doing anything like that, right? :? It's obvious that the 2 SSO bailiffs are NOT SSO patrol certified because nobody from SSO patrol would accuse a citizen of "harassment" in public. I think??? :shock:

Harassment in public? The closest criminal charge is disorderly conduct, but it didn't fit that either. Harassment is for a boyfriend/girlfriend where he keeps visiting her or he keeps sending love letters or hate mail to her home, even after she has told him to stop. That's harassment.

There is something in the freaking water in Sarasota County.
SSO patrol dog

Re: Harrassment in public?

Postby Guy is an idiot » 04/19/12 10:16:11

First of all, I agree he was wronged with the North Port incident. Over and done with.

Now, he is pushing the issue with his camera because he got a little attention in the press. BUT, he is WRONG this time! There was a handicapped decal in the window of the car and it does not matter what the reason is as to WHY he was given the handicapped decal by a doctor. Its none of this idiots business to ask the driver if he has a wheelchair! This guy crossed the line this time and he IS looking at being arrested if he keeps it up!
Guy is an idiot

Postby Guest » 04/19/12 10:20:53

Guy is an idiot wrote:First of all, I agree he was wronged with the North Port incident. Over and done with.

Now, he is pushing the issue with his camera because he got a little attention in the press. BUT, he is WRONG this time! There was a handicapped decal in the window of the car and it does not matter what the reason is as to WHY he was given the handicapped decal by a doctor. Its none of this idiots business to ask the driver if he has a wheelchair! This guy crossed the line this time and he IS looking at being arrested if he keeps it up!

lol :lol: I agree that there might be a handicapped sticker and that the driver might be legally handicapped, but we can't arrest that other guy for filming in public. lololol

Postby I agree 2 » 04/19/12 10:25:30

Guest wrote:
Guy is an idiot wrote:First of all, I agree he was wronged with the North Port incident. Over and done with.

lol :lol: I agree that there might be a handicapped sticker and that the driver might be legally handicapped, but we can't arrest that other guy for filming in public. lololol

I know that. But at some point he is going to slip. I wouldnt arrest him for being the dick he is being but at some point, someone will tell him to go F()CK himself and some sort of an altercation will occur (and be filmed).
I agree 2

Postby nolle prosse » 04/19/12 10:40:44

If the videotaper stood his ground and got arrested, then we would have had a nolle prossed case from the SAO just like SPD and NPPD got, but he would have also sued the agency, just like NPPD is getting sued.
nolle prosse

Postby weirdness » 04/19/12 10:51:17

nolle prosse wrote:If the videotaper stood his ground and got arrested, then we would have had a nolle prossed case from the SAO just like SPD and NPPD got, but he would have also sued the agency, just like NPPD is getting sued.

Actually, I think that SPD is also getting sued (not just NPPD). SSO would definately be sued if the deputy made an arrest for harassment in public.

It's a weird incident, no matter how it's sliced. The guy with the video was nervous, but was "in the right." The handicapped guy (if he is handicapped) was confident, but was "in the wrong" when he said that permission is needed to videotape somebody in public. The deputy was wrong for saying that he was investigating a charge of harassment and that "its a good idea" for him to leave the public sidewalk now (or else get arrested?). Yep, it's weird all around. And since it's all on youtube, it's even worse!!!!!!!!!!
weirdness

Postby ATTY2THESTARS » 04/19/12 10:59:51

weirdness wrote:
nolle prosse wrote:If the videotaper stood his ground and got arrested, then we would have had a nolle prossed case from the SAO just like SPD and NPPD got, but he would have also sued the agency, just like NPPD is getting sued.

Actually, I think that SPD is also getting sued (not just NPPD). SSO would definately be sued if the deputy made an arrest for harassment in public.

It's a weird incident, no matter how it's sliced. The guy with the video was nervous, but was "in the right." The handicapped guy (if he is handicapped) was confident, but was "in the wrong" when he said that permission is needed to videotape somebody in public. The deputy was wrong for saying that he was investigating a charge of harassment and that "its a good idea" for him to leave the public sidewalk now (or else get arrested?). Yep, it's weird all around. And since it's all on youtube, it's even worse!!!!!!!!!!

He can film all day long. And the guy in the vehicle with the handicapped sticker does not to explain anything either - he is legal and legit. BUT i agree with the above poster that at some point this is going to go out of control and either the filmer will step out of line OR someone else will kick his tail in. With that being said, this stuff being continuosly posted/filmed on YOUTUBE is not going to help his ongoing cases, showing that he is instigating to try to collect.
ATTY2THESTARS

Postby attorney at law » 04/19/12 11:21:51

SSO patrol dog wrote:Harassment in public? The closest criminal charge is disorderly conduct, but it didn't fit that either. Harassment is for a boyfriend/girlfriend where he keeps visiting her or he keeps sending hate mail to her home, even after she has told him to stop. That's harassment.

These cases are being closely watched.

Disorderly conduct is based on case law and not just what's written in the statute. If it relied on the statute alone, then everybody whose peace is disturbed would have a criminal case against somebody. Based on past case law, there has to be some sort of a threat from a defendant to hold any weight in court. Nothing in the video would be threatening, if shown to a jury.

Harassment is based on case law and not just what's written in the statute. If it relied on the statute alone, then everybody who has been contacted more than once would have a criminal case against somebody. Based on past case law, the actions of a defendant must shock the conscience of average citizens to hold any weight in court. Nothing in the video would shock the conscience of a jury.

The actions of the videographer don't fit either charge.
attorney at law

Postby Guest » 04/19/12 12:26:50

SSO patrol dog wrote:Youtube of SSO bailiffs (they are NOT SSO patrol certified):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jwkCUXZtFVQ

Carlos Miller wrote:Fresh from having his wiretapping charges dismissed and by filing a notice to sue the North Port Police Department for $200,000 over his unlawful arrest for filming them in public, Steve Horrigan had another run-in, this time with Sarasota sheriff's deputies.

This time Horrigan was on a public sidewalk and was recording a man who had pulled into a handicapped spot in front of a Sarasota County courthouse because he did not appear to be handicapped.

But recording a man in a public parking lot does not constitute harassment.

Yet that is what the man accused Horrigan of doing when he beckoned a couple of Sarasota Sheriff’s deputies from inside the building.

The deputies stepped outside and accused him of harassment when in reality, they were the ones doing the harassing.

http://www.pixiq.com/article/steve-horr ... his-camera

First SPD arrested that guy for chalking on a public sidewalk. Then NPPD arrested that guy for filming a traffic stop. But I never thought that our SSO guys would come close to doing anything like that, right? :? It's obvious that the 2 SSO bailiffs are NOT SSO patrol certified because nobody from SSO patrol would accuse a citizen of "harassment" in public. I think??? :shock:

Harassment in public? The closest criminal charge is disorderly conduct, but it didn't fit that either. Harassment is for a boyfriend/girlfriend where he keeps visiting her or he keeps sending love letters or hate mail to her home, even after she has told him to stop. That's harassment.

There is something in the freaking water in Sarasota County.

1. Interview the complainant.

2. Determine if a crime occurred. Ask the complainant what happened. If the complainant says that the other guy was just filming him, then you have no crime. No disorderly conduct. No harassment. No nothing. We have no authority.

3. Go outside and just observe. Maybe get an FI, but don't tell him that he's being investigated for harassment unless you have probable cause (there was none).

That's it!!!

Postby harassment? » 04/19/12 16:50:34

Guest wrote:1. Interview the complainant.

2. Determine if a crime occurred. Ask the complainant what happened. If the complainant says that the other guy was just filming him, then you have no crime. No disorderly conduct. No harassment. No nothing. We have no authority.

3. Go outside and just observe. Maybe get an FI, but don't tell him that he's being investigated for harassment unless you have probable cause (there was none).

That's it!!!

This wouldn't be such a big deal if SPD and NPPD hadn't just made two similar illegal arrests of citizens doing constitutionally protected things in public places. It's good that Steve Horrigan left the public sidewalk (even if he had a constitutional right to be there), based on the advice of the deputy, but if Horrigan hadn't left, an arrest for harassment would have been thrown out of court.
harassment?

Postby A$$HOLIO » 04/19/12 16:59:50

harassment? wrote:
Guest wrote:1. Interview the complainant.

That's it!!!

This wouldn't be such a big deal if SPD and NPPD hadn't just made two similar illegal arrests of citizens doing constitutionally protected things in public places. It's good that Steve Horrigan left the public sidewalk (even if he had a constitutional right to be there), based on the advice of the deputy, but if Horrigan hadn't left, an arrest for harassment would have been thrown out of court.

Hey Steve, come film me! Ill park in handicapped parking without a sticker. Lets give them something to talk about!
A$$HOLIO

Postby ACLU » 04/19/12 17:03:44

harassment? wrote:This wouldn't be such a big deal if SPD and NPPD hadn't just made two similar illegal arrests of citizens doing constitutionally protected things in public places. It's good that Steve Horrigan left the public sidewalk (even if he had a constitutional right to be there), based on the advice of the deputy, but if Horrigan hadn't left, an arrest for harassment would have been thrown out of court.

I think that some citizens are upset because local cops don't seem to understand what is criminal and what isn't criminal. If local cops can't make this distinction, then how safe are constitutionally protected activities in Sarasota County? It looks like the local chiefs need to give their officers some training in these areas because some big lawsuits come out. The ACLU is already involved in the SPD case. Not sure what's going on with the NPPD case.
ACLU

Postby back in time » 04/19/12 17:24:49

I would bet if our founding fathers were to show up here today, they would punch a-holes like Horrigan right in the mouth. I dont think these men wrote the constitution for people to act like idiots and then use the constitution for protection..........whatever!!!!!!!!!!!!
back in time

Postby seriously. » 04/19/12 17:32:46

back in time wrote:I would bet if our founding fathers were to show up here today, they would punch a-holes like Horrigan right in the mouth. I dont think these men wrote the constitution for people to act like idiots and then use the constitution for protection..........whatever!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're saying that Horrigan is an idiot and should be punched in the mouth because he filmed someone parking in a handicapped spot? Mannnn save your anger and rage for the real problems in life. Seriously. What's even stranger is that the driver complained to two bailiffs that he was being harassed by Horrigan because Horrigan was filming him -- and the bailiffs actually decided to investigate the case, as if it were a criminal violation. Sad.
seriously.

Postby Guest » 04/19/12 17:56:31

The baliffs had no business outside PERIOD. Call for a patrol deputy to deal with it or refer the guy to call the SO and get a PSA to stop by. Both of the idiots would of been gone by then. Why do people create there own issues. The guy is videoing. Who cares. That jerk is going to get himself in trouble eventually. Id hope he vidoes a crime so we can seize his phone fop evidence and say Thank you. Itll be a year for him to get that thing back.

Next

Return to Sarasota County Sheriff's Office