Tampa News Anchor apparently Battered by Off Duty Deputy

Moderators: mod 329, mod 184, Staff Moderator

Re: Tampa News Anchor apparently Battered by Off Duty Deputy

Postby Speaking of wondering » 01/20/09 11:25:37

average joe citizen wrote:I do hope there is video of the incident and that it clearly shows what happened. We haven't heard from either the deputy or Mr. Rhodes... and maybe we never will.

So, as an average joe (who hopes to never be in such a situation) I wondered a couple of things...

With all of your wondering did you happen to wonder why Rhodes' belt was undone and his pants unbuttoned?

Just wondering. :shock:
Speaking of wondering

Postby Average Joe » 01/20/09 12:32:31

My guess would be that he just came from dinner and not only too much to drink but also eat.
if you can't be 100% truthful/honest, you are in the wrong profession
Average Joe
Verified LEO

Postby common sense » 01/20/09 12:51:59

average joe citizen wrote:I do hope there is video of the incident and that it clearly shows what happened. We haven't heard from either the deputy or Mr. Rhodes... and maybe we never will.

Yes you will, at trial. Not the court of public opinion.

As a matter of procedure in this kind of situation, do you always ask for a driver's keys??? If the driver is impaired, then I would think you are going to arrest him/her... So, why would you care about the keys at all? I would think people in general (including non-impaired drivers) would be hesitant to hand over keys or personal belongings without question. (not that it excuses any bad behavior... just wondering here!) If it is typical to ask for keys, do drivers usually hand them over?

Yes, taking the keys from a drunk is normal procedures. It's a safety issue for the officer and the public. Common sense would tell you that.

Also, some newspaper accounts say Rhodes was seen driving recklessly by trying to reverse at the toll/exit area. For those of you who are familiar with the OD detail at Channelside... I wonder whether that coin/toll machine was broken again??? Sometimes people reverse out of that exit because the machine is broken or they don't have a coin and they don't want to cause a traffic jam. Doesn't excuse any possible impairment, of course. But what would you advise drivers to do if they're stuck in that exit lane with a broken machine?? No one wants to piss off a bunch of people behind them... but you don't want to piss off a deputy either!

Common sense would also tell you that the deputy would not describe reckless driving as merely reversing in a toll lane. Also the deputy in question is probably the most knowledgeable traffic enforcement deputy at this agency.

Finally.... just wondering..... since Rhodes apparently got out of his car, what if he had simply decided to walk home at that point. Would that have been an option at all, in your opinion???

Again, common sense. He would have already committed the crime of DUI at that point. No, you can not just decide to walk home after committing a crime.
Again, the entire situation is unfortunate all the way around.

No, it is not unfortunate at all! What would have been unfortunate is if this deputy neglected his duty and allowed Russell to drive off and possibly kill himself or others. We should be praising the deputy, not berating him for doing his job. You know, the job that most people are unable and unwilling to do. The job that allows you to live in peace and freedom from those that would deny it to you.
common sense

Postby COMMONSENSE » 01/20/09 18:24:45

common sense wrote:

Yes you will, at trial. Not the court of public opinion.

As a matter of procedure in this kind of situation, do you always ask for a driver's keys??? If the driver is impaired, then I would think you are going to arrest him/her... So, why would you care about the keys at all? I would think people in general (including non-impaired drivers) would be hesitant to hand over keys or personal belongings without question. (not that it excuses any bad behavior... just wondering here!) If it is typical to ask for keys, do drivers usually hand them over?

Yes, taking the keys from a drunk is normal procedures. It's a safety issue for the officer and the public. Common sense would tell you that.

Also, some newspaper accounts say Rhodes was seen driving recklessly by trying to reverse at the toll/exit area. For those of you who are familiar with the OD detail at Channelside... I wonder whether that coin/toll machine was broken again??? Sometimes people reverse out of that exit because the machine is broken or they don't have a coin and they don't want to cause a traffic jam. Doesn't excuse any possible impairment, of course. But what would you advise drivers to do if they're stuck in that exit lane with a broken machine?? No one wants to piss off a bunch of people behind them... but you don't want to piss off a deputy either!

Common sense would also tell you that the deputy would not describe reckless driving as merely reversing in a toll lane. Also the deputy in question is probably the most knowledgeable traffic enforcement deputy at this agency.

Finally.... just wondering..... since Rhodes apparently got out of his car, what if he had simply decided to walk home at that point. Would that have been an option at all, in your opinion???

Again, common sense. He would have already committed the crime of DUI at that point. No, you can not just decide to walk home after committing a crime.
Again, the entire situation is unfortunate all the way around.

No, it is not unfortunate at all! What would have been unfortunate is if this deputy neglected his duty and allowed Russell to drive off and possibly kill himself or others. We should be praising the deputy, not berating him for doing his job. You know, the job that most people are unable and unwilling to do. The job that allows you to live in peace and freedom from those that would deny it to you.

GOOD POST!!!!!
COMMONSENSE

Postby APPARENTLY PTI IS A TOOL » 01/20/09 19:24:51

"I don't know Mr. Rhodes but I can not picture him being resistive to a uniformed LEO."

Ok, you don't even know the guy yet you can't picture him resisting a uniformed LEO. Could you possibly make a more naive statement? He looks so nice I Television he must not be capable of breaking the law.

"Looking at the booking picture of Mr. Rhodes, it shows where he apparently sustained great bodily harm from the off duty deputy's action."

I hope you are not any type of investigator. Great Bodily Harm requires more than cuts and bruises which is all Mr. Rhodes was treated for. If Mr Rhodes sustained great bodily harm he would not have been treated and released and booked the same night.

"According to HCSO's web site, Mr. Rhodes was not charged with anything else. So what was the probable cause for the off duty deputy to confront Mr. Rhodes?"

Ummm, how about suspicion of DUI. Obviously the Deputy isn't going to uncuff a suspect who just tried to flee and administer field sobriety tests to an uncooperative suspect. Therfore a blood sample was taken at the hospital and DUI charges will likely follow pending the BAC results.
APPARENTLY PTI IS A TOOL

Postby Earl Pitts » 01/20/09 21:36:06

APPARENTLY PTI IS A TOOL wrote:"I don't know Mr. Rhodes but I can not picture him being resistive to a uniformed LEO."

Ok, you don't even know the guy yet you can't picture him resisting a uniformed LEO. Could you possibly make a more naive statement? He looks so nice I Television he must not be capable of breaking the law.

"Looking at the booking picture of Mr. Rhodes, it shows where he apparently sustained great bodily harm from the off duty deputy's action."

I hope you are not any type of investigator. Great Bodily Harm requires more than cuts and bruises which is all Mr. Rhodes was treated for. If Mr Rhodes sustained great bodily harm he would not have been treated and released and booked the same night.

"According to HCSO's web site, Mr. Rhodes was not charged with anything else. So what was the probable cause for the off duty deputy to confront Mr. Rhodes?"

Ummm, how about suspicion of DUI. Obviously the Deputy isn't going to uncuff a suspect who just tried to flee and administer field sobriety tests to an uncooperative suspect. Therfore a blood sample was taken at the hospital and DUI charges will likely follow pending the BAC results.

Ha ha.. I liked that first quote too, "I don't know Mr. Rhodes but I can not picture him being resistive to a uniformed LEO."

It's like saying, "I didn't know Jeffrey Dahmer, but I cannot picture him eating all those men." Or, I don't know Casey Anthony, but I cannot picture her killing her girl Cayle and stuffing her in a garbage bag and tossing her into some woods."

Wake up you stupid liberals, this stuff happens all the time. :snicker:
Earl Pitts

Postby Old Guys Opinion » 01/21/09 17:33:14

The original poster seems to be ASSuming lot. He is giving his opinion as he sees it in the news or media. It sounds like he took a couple of law classes, but failed out. I suspect he is a disgrutalled citizen that has been arrested before and wants to play Monday Morning Quarterback, before all the facts are available. He makes assumptions before he knows the facts and then changes his views once someone tells him more. NEWS FLASH, TV, New Papers, and most media coverage is made to sound more exciting than it really is. LEOS are always made out to be the bad guys because that is what the people love to read and hear about. The simple facts are, he was driving erratically, stopped by a deputy, and then resisted the deputy instructions because he thought he was important and the laws didn't affect him or he was unable to make reasonable decisions based on his alcohol consumption. Basic Rules in society, DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE, otherwise you will face the consequences of your bad decisions.
Old Guys Opinion

Postby haters » 01/21/09 20:33:34

Hmmmm...you know an awful lot of legal jargon. You expressed your hate and jealousy...now go back to your pod.
haters

Postby Small Town LEO » 01/22/09 03:57:49

I just wanted to give my support to the HCSO deputy on scene. some of the remarks at tbo.com and tampabay.com from user's comments are downright crude towards the deputy.

I can't wait until the IA is done and the deputy is found "justified".

Small Town LEO in Pinellas County
Small Town LEO

Postby Guest » 01/23/09 19:23:28

I just want to see the left wing bleeding hearts try to get a pari of handcuffs on someone that doesn't want to be handcuffed. three people couldnt put cuffs on one person without using some sort of pain comliance. If he doesnt want them on, they are not going on. period.

Just like the others...

Postby TV ICON » 02/05/09 03:45:06

T.V. people can't be bad, I mean they work for T.V. stations...

History tells the story. Maybe some of you remember Miami Meteorologist Bill Kamal? He was arrested back in 04' for soliciting sex from a minor. Scumbag got 5 years with no parole.
TV ICON

Postby TURN THE PAGE » 02/05/09 05:13:18

Who really cares?! Move along now..there is nothing more to talk about! The TV personality made a mistake that he will not likely make again! And the fact that there is video of a young man exiting his vehicle right before the deputy stopped him leads me to believe his pants were unbuttoned for a reason! :snicker:
TURN THE PAGE

Postby Guest » 02/17/09 01:50:53

omg who posted the PTI list? that was friking great!!! I love you!!!

Postby Guest » 02/18/09 22:57:34

Hmm, lets see, people were wondering why the deputy arrested Rhodes.

Maybe because the deputy was doing his job?

Taken from Hillsborough County's job posting for Law Enforcement Deputy job description:

MAJOR DUTIES

NOTE: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform some or all of the activities described below.

* Patrols assigned areas to detect and monitor possible criminal activity and interrogates suspicious persons.
* Responds to emergency calls to provide assistance.
* Investigates incidents for civil or criminal law violations.
* Apprehends and arrests suspected law violators to ensure public safety.
* Prepares and preserves evidence in accordance with directives to maintain chain of custody.
* Testifies in court to provide an accurate account of investigation findings.
* Controls activities at traffic accident scenes by assisting victims or maintaining traffic flow.
* Enforces traffic laws by observing violations and issuing citations.
* Provides information and assistance to the public.
* Prepares and submits daily activity reports in accordance with standard operating procedures (SOP) and directives.
* Transports prisoners to court, medical or prison facilities.
* Maintains patrol car, weapons and other law enforcement equipment to insure operational readiness.
* Performs other related duties as required.

Notice that it states suspected, which means if you really want to know if Rhodes is guilty, wait until the trial is over or until he pleas guilty.

Postby 2tbj3noj » 02/18/09 23:20:49

I like how you started, but not how you finished. Unfortunately, it is not the results of a trial that accurately reflects guilt. Many are not guilty by the means of a plea negotiation. Many are not guilty, for many reasons, at the end of a trial. That does not mean they are innocent.....
2tbj3noj

PreviousNext

Return to Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office