moral question

Moderators: mod 167, Staff Moderator

moral question

Postby guest gustavo » 10/10/12 10:41:20

If a certain steb sgt pulls over a deputy on his way to work in full uniform, and issues him or her a verbal warning, is it ok if he shows up at his place of employment and say, ya know, come to think of it, I'm gonna give u the 280 dollar ticket. Would this be done to john q public?
guest gustavo

Re: moral question

Postby Vinnybombotz » 10/10/12 12:44:32

When I am Sheriff I will give you all tickets, you just wait and see, you all think it's funny riding by and blowing your horns and yelling obsenities? Just wait, when I am your boss you will all regret the day you screwed wth Vinny. On the day after the election my screen name will be "Collier 1" so stay tuned little ones, stay tuned.
Vinnybombotz

Postby Curios George » 10/10/12 12:54:59

HMMMMM.... Your question is VERY vague and should be better clarified if you want an honest opinion of whether certain actions were morally or ethically correct.

1. You say a deputy was pulled over on their way to work and was in full uniform. Does that mean they are a law enforcement deputy and was driving a marked police car or was this deputy driving their own POV because they are a corrections deputy or civilian deputy? Each classification of deputy could have a different response to your question.

2. You say the SGT showed up to this deputy place of employment... wouldn't they both be employed by the same employer??? Do you mean the SGT showed up at his assigned place of duty??

3. Are you asking if a law enforcement officer can issue a ticket after a verbal warning has been issued? If that is your question then the answer is YES it can be done; I have done that myself!! Here is an example of why I changed my mind: the violator pulled off after receiving a warning and decided to show their ass by spinning their tires and speeding down the road, hence, a warning no longer sufficed and a ticket was what they now earned. Another reason is that I learned additional information after the traffic stop that warranted a ticket being issued and not the warning.

$. Both above examples did involve John Q Public so YES is the answer to your last question.

Regardless to your answer to question #1, it is my opinion that the STEB SGT acted morally and had a valid reason for exercising his right of discretion. Maybe the bigger question should be redirected back to the deputy that received the ticket and he should ask himself what he could have done to avoid the traffic stop in the first place... Accountability has a strong place in moral and ethical behavior.
Curios George
LEO Affairs Major

Postby Gus Fring » 10/10/12 13:23:28

Oh no!! Not another Traffic Unit thread. Don't they think they are better than us "district units" anyway? There's your answer Mr Original Poster.
Gus Fring

Postby Vinnybombotz » 10/10/12 15:16:19

Curious George will be placed high in my administration. He will be getting the recoignition he deserves.
Vinnybombotz

Postby guest gustavo » 10/10/12 16:10:12

It was a lowly corrections deputy and it was the jail he showed up to. Is it allowed to wear your uniform when fighting this ticket in court?
guest gustavo

Postby answererer » 10/10/12 17:50:55

Curious george- yes the officer has discretion as always. And yes, when you speed you get what you get, whether that is a friendly 'kilo' or a ticket. The driver began the chain of events by speeding.
I for one have never written another cop a ticket (local or out of state) and probably never will, unless there is a huge attitude issue or someone else has been impacted (crash, etc).
The non-vague question is why did the Sgt close out the traffic stop, thus ending the case/allegation of speeding..... then re-open another case, thus putting the driver in the very defensible situation of 'Double Jeopardy'?
Take it to court driver.
DO NOT WEAR YOUR UNIFORM TO COURT....DO NOT.
Good luck.
Retire already george.
answererer

Postby Roger Dodger » 10/10/12 20:17:59

I heard the steb sgt. was afraid to write the ticket at the stop because his radio wasn't working very well at that spot. Oops they don't work very well anywhere.
Roger Dodger

Postby Sgt. Pepper » 10/11/12 05:33:39

i wrote you that ticket boy now stop complaining. when you are doing 90 in a 45 damn right your gettin written up. it aint a big deal. yull get over it in a few months just like my mother did.

:snicker:
Sgt. Pepper

Postby Guest » 10/11/12 12:18:07

I forgive you my brother, would you like to buy some coffee?

Postby moral answer » 10/13/12 02:13:42

I’ve had my share of frustrations with STEB but I have to take their side in this matter. For starters, shame on the CO for putting them both in this situation. I’m not going to get into the details but you should know ALL the facts before you spew your ignorant comments on this site. Save yourself and your agency the embarrassment and pay your ticket. Now is the time to be humble, not a pompous ass. Here’s some more free legal advice that will help you in the future, SLOW THE F DOWN!!!
moral answer

Postby big name lawyer » 10/13/12 10:30:32

Everyone has a right to defend himself in court.
The question was should he go in uniform (NO) and was the ticketing officer correct in punishing the alleged speeder twice for one infraction (NO). First punishment was the warning issued on scene. Second punishment was re-opening the traffic stop and issuing a citation. Everything else you allude to is irrelevant to the case.
For the rcord, I'm not a big name defense lawyer before you start bashing on the wrong person. :oops:
big name lawyer

Postby C'MON MAN » 10/13/12 12:17:03

big name lawyer wrote:Everyone has a right to defend himself in court.
The question was should he go in uniform (NO) and was the ticketing officer correct in punishing the alleged speeder twice for one infraction (NO). First punishment was the warning issued on scene. Second punishment was re-opening the traffic stop and issuing a citation. Everything else you allude to is irrelevant to the case.
For the rcord, I'm not a big name defense lawyer before you start bashing on the wrong person. :oops:

A written or verbal warning is not punishment!!!

That's why it is a warning....

But not knowing this makes it easy to understanding why you would ask if you can go to court to fight the ticket in uniform...
C'MON MAN

Postby 10urscrewed » 10/13/12 14:37:46

i would go into to court to fight this ticket not wearing any pants.
10urscrewed

Postby moral answer » 10/14/12 00:07:41

big name lawyer wrote:Everyone has a right to defend himself in court.

I reiterate: Do you know all the FACTS to this particular incident? (NO) Talk to either party and you will see why it was handled in this manner. Do I need to say more on a public website or can a reasonability prudent person such as yourself figure the rest out? Don’t be like the NDN, do some research before you get up on your soap box.
moral answer

Next

Return to Collier County Sheriff's Office