Policy Violations

Moderators: mod 167, Staff Moderator

Policy Violations

Postby francis » 01/16/12 02:52:25

I have a question I would like to ask all my brothers and sisters out there. I'm very interested in what you all think about this topic. My topic is, what would you do if you witness a policy violation? I'm not talking about witnessing a criminal act, I'm talking about something within policy that most likely would not cause termination if discovered. Simple stuff such as observing a fellow deputy speeding or say going to the movies for free by badging your way in. The reason I ask is I am of the opinion that one would never hand up a brother and we had a big argument about this after briefing last week. I'm dying to know if most agree with me or would most feel that they should do something about it. Give me an honest answer please, not some macho response. What would you do if you found someone say sleeping in a parking lot at 3am? Tell the Sgt? Do nothing?
francis

Re: Policy Violations

Postby bo guest » 01/16/12 03:44:26

I say hand em up. Idle hands are the devils workshop. Get these loafers and lay a bouts and have done with them I say.
bo guest

Postby Lt Weinberg » 01/16/12 03:49:36

There are several different answers to this question. One, you may not know what is going on in that deputy's life. Is he or she having some sort of problem at home or working extra hours to make ends meet. Small child at home etc. Therefore, you should let the supervisor know. The supervisor may have information or may approach the deputy to find out if there is some sort of issue.

Then on the other hand if you like the guy or girl keep your mouth shut.
Lt Weinberg

Postby District Sgt » 01/16/12 04:41:51

I disagree with Lt Wineyberg, I think rules apply to all of us equally. Policy is a guideline but each policy has a purpose. Sleeping on duty, speeding, carelessness etc., these may not get ya canned but should we compromise our integrity so one guy can make a mockery of the system. I think you should approach the guy doing wrong and tell him to knock it off. If that don't work then you go to the Sgt.
District Sgt

Postby u snooze u lose » 01/16/12 15:52:01

if he is taking a snooze in his patrol car I suggest quietly letting the air out of the tires.

:snicker:
u snooze u lose

Postby Night Shift » 01/17/12 20:07:51

Put cardboard over the headlights, call them to assist you and then laugh while they try to get the lights to work..... :evil:
Night Shift
LEO Affairs Road Patrol

Postby no peekie panish » 01/19/12 07:42:28

What if its the Sgt thats sleeping? :oops:
no peekie panish

Postby Stooly » 01/19/12 13:06:25

District Sgt wrote:I disagree with Lt Wineyberg, I think rules apply to all of us equally. Policy is a guideline but each policy has a purpose. Sleeping on duty, speeding, carelessness etc., these may not get ya canned but should we compromise our integrity so one guy can make a mockery of the system. I think you should approach the guy doing wrong and tell him to knock it off. If that don't work then you go to the Sgt.

If the policies are a guideline why are they not applied equally? Some get punished while others walk away without punishment. It seems as if the policies are used to oust those the supervisor's don't like while his drinking buddies go on untouched. It's a long stretch to go from speeding to "making a mockery of the system". I say mind your own business.
Stooly

Postby Spirit 1 » 01/22/12 19:34:39

I thought about this one a while before I could answer. In my opinion I would ignore policy violations. I figure I'm not the rat squad and its some other block heads job to catch this crap, not mine. That being said, I wouldn't tell.
Spirit 1

Postby Night Shift » 02/08/12 22:35:52

Minding your own business is good,keeps the eye off you......What happened with the last canoe race incident? The golden are not touched....
Night Shift
LEO Affairs Road Patrol

Return to Collier County Sheriff's Office