Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Moderators: mod 167, Staff Moderator

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby No One Else » 08/26/12 08:02:42

hoping wrote:Correct the county owns the radio system not the Sheriffs office. Unfortunately the county decided to go cheap. I think our radios are decent it is the system that needs to be upgraded


Then it must be that the individuals in charge are giving the Man the wrong information. It is my understanding when we had the meeting with the sheriff that he said he had a fcc license. If this were so, I think he would stand up for us if he was told the truth. Why arn't the people in communications letting him know? I keep hearing names thrown around and how incompetant they are. I for one am beginning to think this is true. To me it sounds like a lot of covering up/butts.
Enough said, no confidence vote.
Oh and except for a few , thanks dispatchers for all you do.
No One Else
 

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby Hoping » 08/27/12 19:14:20

I heard a district lt say hey we're doing some kind of radio test and were putting on a map for report to sheriff. I hope so
Hoping
 

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby no hope » 08/27/12 19:57:18

Hoping wrote:I heard a district lt say hey we're doing some kind of radio test and were putting on a map for report to sheriff. I hope so



i have heard a lot of things to over the years as it pertains to the radios and it's all bull. the radios will suck until something major happens which will have to mean someone get's hurt or loses there life. unfortunate fact but true.
no hope
 

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby phony phone call » 09/25/12 23:11:06

can someoe please tell me when we are going to stop getting these silly e mails about the push to talk not working on these lousy cell phones? i think this compnay is jerking us around. the d.c's suck and now matter how many updates and reparis they make it;s just a big JOKE! these dopey phones suck plain and simple. i cant ever send a text out without see that it failed and the damn thing goes dead in just a matter of hours. Hey phone people you got hosed big time on these phones just admit it. lets get some new tele's without the dc portion it is not needed.

:snicker:
phony phone call
 

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby me too » 11/06/12 18:57:41

phony phone call wrote:can someoe please tell me when we are going to stop getting these silly e mails about the push to talk not working on these lousy cell phones? i think this compnay is jerking us around. the d.c's suck and now matter how many updates and reparis they make it;s just a big JOKE! these dopey phones suck plain and simple. i cant ever send a text out without see that it failed and the damn thing goes dead in just a matter of hours. Hey phone people you got hosed big time on these phones just admit it. lets get some new tele's without the dc portion it is not needed.

:snicker:


Funny the push to talk on my radio dosen't work either! :oops:
me too
 

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby ferguson » 11/06/12 20:23:28

It's funny really, push to talk is why we have crappy phones. If we could just dump yesterday's technology then maybe we can get phones that work. Oh, my radio still works like crap but, Joe says there's nothing wrong with it.
ferguson
 

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby 10-01 » 11/07/12 11:17:43

your phone will always suck because Lt's and above have the fancy ones that work so according to them there is no problem. radio's have sucked and will always suck. dont count on that changing during your career. just make sure people know where you are in case you can't transmit which is common in buildings and cetain areas of the county. when u get hurt or killed maybe then someone will take notice. nah, maybe not.
10-01
 

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby uradope » 11/07/12 11:51:19

10-01 wrote:your phone will always suck because Lt's and above have the fancy ones that work so according to them there is no problem. radio's have sucked and will always suck. dont count on that changing during your career. just make sure people know where you are in case you can't transmit which is common in buildings and cetain areas of the county. when u get hurt or killed maybe then someone will take notice. nah, maybe not.


Only two problems with your comment, it's wrong and it's wrong. The phones the Lt's & up have suck an barely work. AND pretty soon EVERYONE willl be getting issued an andriod based smart phone. Stop whining and stirring up crap ya dope.
uradope
 

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby George is Right » 01/30/13 18:35:52

Curios George wrote:
happy days wrote:Curious first lets make it clear I am not communications management. Instead of me telling you who from managment does care if you know anyone in communications ask them - Who comes in in the middle of the night to talk to night shift - who asks us our opinion and actually listtens, who has created ways for information to flow from bottom to top and top to bottom. Who has had the supervisors attending workshops on the issues we have in communications, who got us more floor positions than we had before. By the way we are down to 8 supervisors, morale is on the rise, we have 6 new hires and if my understanding is correct there are no problems with the radios it is the radio system. Once you ask these questions you will find out who cares about us.


Well Happy Days, I do not doubt your sincerity behind your post... I once shared the same excitement and enthusiasm until... after years of having information flow from the bottom up and from the top to the bottom, nothing changed! That's right, NOTHING CHANGED!! You see, that is the smoke and mirrors that BR and a few others have mastered. They create all these "Feel Good" responses to the little guys complaint and establish hours upon hours of endless dialog. And at the end of the day...nothing changes; ask the communications committee. After speaking with a few of their members I have learned that nothing has been accomplished. After 18 months they are still working on a form (Thats right, a form) that will notify the radio people when there is a problem with the system, hello, we don't need a form to report what has been the same problem for over 10 years and yet BR is still working on "the form"... The communications committee was suppose to have direct influence on the bidding process for obtaining a new cell phone contract but they were cut completely out of that process after meetings were cancelled (By BR) and BR was "forced" to make the decision without the committee input. In 18 months that committee, led by BR, has accomplished absolutely NOTHING!! (But everyone in the committee sure does feel good)

And you are right, it is not the radio, it is the system that does not work, yet BR and BF3 continue to coddle JD allowing worthless excuses to define the problems. The system has NEVER worked reliably and is a complete disgrace! The same problems have existed for 10+ years and if I were the Sheriff I would DEMAND improvement with a deadline or fight the county with everything I had!! The problem is that everyone that could make a difference works monday - friday , 9-5, with weekend and holidays off so their lives are not affected by the shortcomings of the system. I promise you that if they had to actually rely of the radio system to accomplish something that was vitally important to them, it would be fixed!!

Good luck Happy Days, I am getting too old to waste any more time on feel good solutions that result in absolutely no results except for time clicking away on a clock! Bottom line is that although you think the morale is on the rise, the reality is that the morale that mattered most were all those who have already left the comm center due to the problems I have cited. Eventually the new hires too will get tired of the lack of true leadership in communications, hallow concerns and lack of actual accomplishments measured by better radio communications and employee retention rates. But, if that day never comes (which it wont unless the chief removes the current chain of command) you wont be alone... I'll leave the light on for you :wink:


George you hit the nail on the head. Just look at the dispatchers who have been here for years going to a lower paying CSD position. I guess the feel good wore off. BR,SB, BF and a few others need to be looked at by the Sheriff.
Please keep posting the trouth will come out.
George is Right
 

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby You Too » 01/30/13 18:38:42

happy days wrote:you are wrong i am not a new hire and the one you mention is the one who cares. no need to leave the light on for me I am happy werre I am. no more comments have a happy day


Hey Happy Days are you going to CSD?
You Too
 

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby lights camera action » 02/07/13 20:49:25

I have the solutioin to the RADIO ISSUE............a video yes a CCSO video. Maybe some laughing and singing when the radio's work and some crying when they don't work.

Come on everyone we could be dancing and singing and then boo hooing when you key up and get nothing but static............

We could have a follow up video and titled 'Can you hear me now"........... Of course all of the people who would participate in the video would have to be off duty..........We might be able to take it on the road "The Radio Blues Show". Hell we would have an impact all over the US as the first Law Enforcement Agency with a musical show....I mean not that we didn't make history with that silly xmas video...........but hey were all about B/S now anyway...
lights camera action
 

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby JoeWilsonJr » 02/18/13 10:33:24

As a retired electrical engineer who worked for the federal government and now living in Naples and having a nephew who works for the county this thread about the radio system interests me. Seeing I have some 30 plus years working for the DOD on various communication projects I would like to make a few comments. My purpose is not to bash anyone or the radio system, just bring in another opinion (that is why I am using my real Name). I think many of the concerns about the radios are most likely valid. If the moderator allows I will try to answer any questions one might have from a technical/operational stand point. I have found over the years that the technical part is what confuses many users of radio systems.
In any event here is a link to the possible future of radios for public safety


http://www.firstresponder.gov/Operation ... Report.pdf
JoeWilsonJr
 

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby mod 167 » 02/18/13 12:50:35

JoeWilsonJr wrote:As a retired electrical engineer who worked for the federal government and now living in Naples and having a nephew who works for the county this thread about the radio system interests me. Seeing I have some 30 plus years working for the DOD on various communication projects I would like to make a few comments. My purpose is not to bash anyone or the radio system, just bring in another opinion (that is why I am using my real Name). I think many of the concerns about the radios are most likely valid. If the moderator allows I will try to answer any questions one might have from a technical/operational stand point. I have found over the years that the technical part is what confuses many users of radio systems.
In any event here is a link to the possible future of radios for public safety


http://www.firstresponder.gov/Operation ... Report.pdf


Your participation with this subject is encouraged and appreciated!

Thank you!

Mod 167
User avatar
mod 167
LEO Affairs Major
 
Posts: 292
Joined: 05/08/06 20:28:40
Location: Naples, Florida

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby 10-09 » 02/18/13 16:44:58

i am of the notion that the radios will never work right and at this point don't really care anymore. every shify i see the disp. key up and nothing is transmitted. happens on both ends actually. not to mention all the other problems they have. but those in charge can care less because they don't use radios anymore.

:(
10-09
 

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby JoeWisonJr » 02/18/13 18:13:26

10-09 wrote:i am of the notion that the radios will never work right and at this point don't really care anymore. every shify i see the disp. key up and nothing is transmitted. happens on both ends actually. not to mention all the other problems they have. but those in charge can care less because they don't use radios anymore.

:(


10-9 I am sorry you feel that way.
Let us take a look at your complaint as posted. You say that dispatch as well as units in the field key up and no voice transmissions are heard. Are these problems reported when they happen or do you just live with it?
I am not choosing sides but here are a few points I know. The radio system was put in place in 1996. Not having local knowledge I will need to believe updates were made to the system since then. This type of radio system usually has a maximum useful life of around 16 years (depending on maintenance). Let me clarify something the towers have an actual useable life of 20 years, with the exception of locations near the ocean. This takes into account salt air corrosion. We have EDACS radio systems aboard vessels such as aircraft carriers for radio communication.
How old are the radios you are using. Some of the ones I have seen are no longer manufactured. One in particular has not been made for nearly a decade.
Here is the Jane’s report as well as the magazine put out by your radio provider. To help show I have a working knowledge of EDACS.
I would also like to say giving specifics about problems would be helpful. But thank you for getting the discusion started.

http://articles.janes.com/articles/Jane ... tates.html

http://www.bultronic.net/documents/chan ... els2_3.pdf
JoeWisonJr
 

PreviousNext

Return to Collier County Sheriff's Office

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

It's Time for Better FREE Email. The Bright Network Premium Email Service.

Crimson Trace Adomo-Cunhilll & Damas