Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Moderators: mod 167, Staff Moderator

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby happy days » 07/27/12 19:39:22

Curious first lets make it clear I am not communications management. Instead of me telling you who from managment does care if you know anyone in communications ask them - Who comes in in the middle of the night to talk to night shift - who asks us our opinion and actually listtens, who has created ways for information to flow from bottom to top and top to bottom. Who has had the supervisors attending workshops on the issues we have in communications, who got us more floor positions than we had before. By the way we are down to 8 supervisors, morale is on the rise, we have 6 new hires and if my understanding is correct there are no problems with the radios it is the radio system. Once you ask these questions you will find out who cares about us.
happy days
 

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby Relax » 07/27/12 20:49:17

Happy Days Relax no one is blaming the dispatchers, but there are better options out there for a better Radio system, and definately a better cell phone option. I was just watching the Olympics and Sprint is advertising our "New" phone for $49.00 and get 4 FREE. That's 5 of these "New" phones for less than $50. We have Sprint Phones, and Verizon Aircards. Someone in a higher position thought this was a good idea and signed off on it. Either way, everyone feels like we are getting the Cheepest option versus the Best option.
Relax
 

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby Curios George » 07/27/12 21:01:47

happy days wrote:Curious first lets make it clear I am not communications management. Instead of me telling you who from managment does care if you know anyone in communications ask them - Who comes in in the middle of the night to talk to night shift - who asks us our opinion and actually listtens, who has created ways for information to flow from bottom to top and top to bottom. Who has had the supervisors attending workshops on the issues we have in communications, who got us more floor positions than we had before. By the way we are down to 8 supervisors, morale is on the rise, we have 6 new hires and if my understanding is correct there are no problems with the radios it is the radio system. Once you ask these questions you will find out who cares about us.


Well Happy Days, I do not doubt your sincerity behind your post... I once shared the same excitement and enthusiasm until... after years of having information flow from the bottom up and from the top to the bottom, nothing changed! That's right, NOTHING CHANGED!! You see, that is the smoke and mirrors that BR and a few others have mastered. They create all these "Feel Good" responses to the little guys complaint and establish hours upon hours of endless dialog. And at the end of the day...nothing changes; ask the communications committee. After speaking with a few of their members I have learned that nothing has been accomplished. After 18 months they are still working on a form (Thats right, a form) that will notify the radio people when there is a problem with the system, hello, we don't need a form to report what has been the same problem for over 10 years and yet BR is still working on "the form"... The communications committee was suppose to have direct influence on the bidding process for obtaining a new cell phone contract but they were cut completely out of that process after meetings were cancelled (By BR) and BR was "forced" to make the decision without the committee input. In 18 months that committee, led by BR, has accomplished absolutely NOTHING!! (But everyone in the committee sure does feel good)

And you are right, it is not the radio, it is the system that does not work, yet BR and BF3 continue to coddle JD allowing worthless excuses to define the problems. The system has NEVER worked reliably and is a complete disgrace! The same problems have existed for 10+ years and if I were the Sheriff I would DEMAND improvement with a deadline or fight the county with everything I had!! The problem is that everyone that could make a difference works monday - friday , 9-5, with weekend and holidays off so their lives are not affected by the shortcomings of the system. I promise you that if they had to actually rely of the radio system to accomplish something that was vitally important to them, it would be fixed!!

Good luck Happy Days, I am getting too old to waste any more time on feel good solutions that result in absolutely no results except for time clicking away on a clock! Bottom line is that although you think the morale is on the rise, the reality is that the morale that mattered most were all those who have already left the comm center due to the problems I have cited. Eventually the new hires too will get tired of the lack of true leadership in communications, hallow concerns and lack of actual accomplishments measured by better radio communications and employee retention rates. But, if that day never comes (which it wont unless the chief removes the current chain of command) you wont be alone... I'll leave the light on for you :wink:
User avatar
Curios George
LEO Affairs Major
 
Posts: 338
Joined: 04/13/07 15:07:01
Location: Naples, Florida

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby happy days » 07/28/12 07:32:55

you are wrong i am not a new hire and the one you mention is the one who cares. no need to leave the light on for me I am happy werre I am. no more comments have a happy day
happy days
 

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby Anti Happy Days » 07/28/12 09:55:36

happy days wrote:you are wrong i am not a new hire and the one you mention is the one who cares. no need to leave the light on for me I am happy werre I am. no more comments have a happy day


Happy Days (BR) it is obvious your assessment of your own accomplishments is inflated like your ego. I am sure you are very happy where you are because no one is holding you accountable for your lack of measured success. As long as the radios do not work, the cell phones do not work and the radios have to be patched then this is all you need to determine your merits! Anything else is an illusion. George was kind in his reply to you but I'm unable to be that nice since all of the things you are directly responsible for, cause me to sacrifice something to do my job.
When was the last time you had to sacrifice?
Thats what I thought!
Enjoy your Happy Days brother, but remember, it is at the expense of others.
Anti Happy Days
 

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby it is my vision... » 07/28/12 12:34:48

i luv the silly little saying b.r. puts at the bottom of his emails. kind of a funny thing to write when radios suck.

:snicker:
it is my vision...
 

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby Guest » 07/30/12 10:07:37

BR's "vision" for consistency:

Lower morale to the point that good dispatchers leave as soon as the gate opens. Failure to support dispatcher growth through upward movement. Failure to promote the fact that dispatchers are now state certified. Failure to support dispatchers who have made a career out of it. Through the above, promotes a decline in the trust that dispatchers once had with departmental administration.

Above all else, you have to love the fact that there are those in charge who have never been a dispatcher!
Guest
 

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby Guest » 07/30/12 12:50:29

Guest wrote:BR's "vision" for consistency:

Lower morale to the point that good dispatchers leave as soon as the gate opens. Failure to support dispatcher growth through upward movement. Failure to promote the fact that dispatchers are now state certified. Failure to support dispatchers who have made a career out of it. Through the above, promotes a decline in the trust that dispatchers once had with departmental administration.

Above all else, you have to love the fact that there are those in charge who have never been a dispatcher!


There are those involved who have never been cops either.
Guest
 

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby Guest » 07/30/12 12:52:24

i meant to write there are those in charge who have never been cops either.
Guest
 

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby ACCESS DENIED » 08/03/12 05:28:48

Great radios tonight.
ACCESS DENIED
 

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby Inexcusable » 08/03/12 23:05:28

I was working last night too. I worry about saying what happened on a public forum but I can’t believe it went on for so long. Absolute and complete failure; the worst I’ve seen my whole career. Thank GOD someone didn’t find out the hard way their equipment wasn’t working.
Inexcusable
 

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby details » 08/04/12 10:16:00

i know this is off topic but while the radios are not getting fixed how bout we get rid of the detail cap of 300 hours. This was a dopey idea in the first place and come october i hope it goes away.
details
 

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby No One Else » 08/25/12 08:06:57

Well we are gearing up for a storm and we have cell phones and radios we cannot rely on. It is a shame that a department in such a rich county cannot have basic comminications. we really need to take a look at who is in charge of what. Sheriff Rambosk I am not a vick or vinny supporter, but my butt is in jeaperdy out here. What say you take a good look at this situation.
No One Else
 

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby Old Pig » 08/25/12 15:23:52

No One Else wrote:Well we are gearing up for a storm and we have cell phones and radios we cannot rely on. It is a shame that a department in such a rich county cannot have basic comminications. we really need to take a look at who is in charge of what. Sheriff Rambosk I am not a vick or vinny supporter, but my butt is in jeaperdy out here. What say you take a good look at this situation.


As I recall, when the bids for the "new" radio system for the County came in several years ago, Erickson came in about $100K less than Motorola. Now us old-timers were use to Motorola, who was always reliable and a great radio, but the County took Erickson over our objections. It was the County Commissioners decision to save a measly 100k - this was when we were flush with cash too.
Old Pig
 

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby hoping » 08/25/12 18:57:56

Correct the county owns the radio system not the Sheriffs office. Unfortunately the county decided to go cheap. I think our radios are decent it is the system that needs to be upgraded
hoping
 

PreviousNext

Return to Collier County Sheriff's Office

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Want to make sure no one reads your emails? Vaporize Them!