Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Moderators: mod 167, Staff Moderator

Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby Curios George » 11/16/10 14:02:32

I pray that someone who has some pull, be it the Sheriff, Command Staff, County Commissioners or even John Q Public, reads this post and does something about the radio problems.

It is a crying shame that we have to endure such a crappy system. Words do not begin to explain the level of problems or frustration that come with this system. It has been said before so many times that the word officer safety now means nothing.

Someone is going to get hurt from this system not working properly and when it does I hope they sue the dog crap out of the county. John Daily sits in his glass palace and has no clue what kind of problems we experience at night. And just in case you read this, let me list just a few for you...

1. radios (Main and hand held) constantly in CC Scan
2. Radios (Main and hand held) only receive partial recption. It is very rare taht I can hear both sides of a converstaion on one radio. I have started leaving my handheld on in the car along woth the main radio on and between the two radios I can half way make out what is being said.
3. Digital bleed over from other counties
4. WA Scan on both radios
5. Key up to go out on a priority call or request for back-up and the radio "Bloops" and says DENIED... WTH is that about, DENIED???? Are you friggin kidding me!!!!!!!
6. Air unit constantly stating that they can not talk to ground units or even hear the ground units...
7. Other units key up and the LID number does not display
8. Towers completely fail and we have to dispatch by nextel phones!

I can list more but what is the use? Years ago they ask us to fill out sheets of paper documenting the problems...WELLL, NOTHING HAS CHANGED!!!

I demand BETTER from this county. I and my brothers and sisters put our lives on the line every night and I know it comes with an inherant risk BUT that risk should not come my only means of communications!

The radio system SUCKS, and I am FED UP about it. Someone PLEASE do something about it!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE!
Curios George
LEO Affairs Major

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Postby Guest » 11/16/10 16:42:38

Oh sure lets scrap it and get a whole new system what would that cost about 4 or 5 million? Or were you just making out your Christmas list to Santa? You don't need a radio we know what you are going to say before you key up to say it George... "Ok Naples, Hold it...Force it...or Next Available." Be careful my brothers and sisters it is a real jungle out there, there was no toy in my Happy Meal today.

Postby Justiceforall » 11/16/10 17:21:25

So the possible loss of a life or serious injury has a price tag of 4-5 million? Each one of our men and women deserve better no matter the cost. Yes, I understand it would be expensive, budget is a concern, but this system has and has always had alot of issues which equates to officer safety. The Motorola's of the 90's worked better than these.
Justiceforall
LEO Affairs Sergeant

Postby Guest » 11/16/10 18:17:07

I.T. says to reboot.

Postby Guest » 11/16/10 21:38:30

Are you people serious? Sure the system has problems find me one that doesn't You think NASA doesn't loose transmissions with the Space Shuttle? Report the problems when we have them so they can be addressed. If you want to go back to the 90s, Motorolas and 2 men on a shift be my guest, talk about officer safety... I'll vote for what we have now and maybe a pay increase.

Postby Justiceforall » 11/17/10 08:47:20

Relax, I didn't say let's go back to the 90's, but when you figure the $$$ amount of the new and improved system when it was installed, the promises made of how much better it would work never materialized. Your statement about a pay increase, I'll leave that one to somone else...
Justiceforall
LEO Affairs Sergeant

Postby 800MZG junk » 11/17/10 08:51:11

Guest wrote:Are you people serious? Sure the system has problems find me one that doesn't You think NASA doesn't loose transmissions with the Space Shuttle? Report the problems when we have them so they can be addressed. If you want to go back to the 90s, Motorolas and 2 men on a shift be my guest, talk about officer safety... I'll vote for what we have now and maybe a pay increase.

Hey Dork! Don't be so cocky there. Apparently, you don't use the radio or you wouldn't be making such rediculous statements. These deputies have a valid point concerning officer safety. There is a hugh difference between NASA and the CCSO dumbell.

It's a terrible feeling while getting your A$$ beat and you can't call for help because the tin can walkie talkie system fails you.

This has been a continuing problem with this 800 system. Sheriff, take heed and get your Chiefs on this matter before someone gets killed. This is no longer a joking matter. If you don't believe me ride on one shift in district 8 after dark.
800MZG junk

Postby Paradise » 11/17/10 10:39:42

With out a doubt there are major issues with the 800 radio system! For those who say there are only minor issues tells me that you only listen to the radio for the 5 or 10 minute drive to and from work during daylight hours. If you really want to know how the system works for the majority of deputies and during the majority of a 24 hour period then spend some time listening to it after 5pm and before 7am.

The system is very unreliable and to say it is a safety hazard is an understatement! I can not tell you how many times CRITICAL information was either being given from a deputy to others or from dispatch to deputies where the information was never recieved. As George said, if you do not have two radios on, side by side, at one time, you will NEVER get 100% of the information or transmission. The odds are that when you key up at night you will have a better than 25% chance that you will not be allowed to transmit at all or a better than 90% chance that only a few people will hear everything you say.

The system is a joke! It is rediculous for the county to continue to burry thier heads into the sand and deny that there is a serious problem. The county has a choice; prepare to replace the system in a timely manner or get ready to pay out a lot of money in a law suit, but in either case, the county better find the funds and do something.

Oh and by the way, here is a little information that should really piss you off. Did you know that out of all of the county departments which operate on the 800 system, EMS has priority on the system... That means if a deputy is trying to transmit and an EMS person is also trying to transmit, EMS will be given the priority on the tower and guarenteed a channel to talk on. This is why EMS has very few complaints about the radio system compared to CCSO. I have no clue who the geniuess was who allowed this to happen but the last time I checked, EMS stands by until the scene is safe. Without proper, effective, efficient or reliable radio communications, the scene will never be safe for CCSO... where do we stand by at?
Paradise
Verified LEO

Postby Guest » 11/17/10 11:18:10

From the looks of the mug shots in the Naples Daily News you guys are handing out the a$$ whippings not taking them.

Postby Paparazzi LEO » 11/17/10 12:58:37

The radio system sucks enough to make any sane person angry... just ask Joe!
Teach a MAN to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
Teach a COP to fish and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day...
Paparazzi LEO
LEO Affairs Major

Postby Guest » 11/17/10 13:21:22

Ok here is a perfect example of how bad the problem is, last Saturday night I keyed up and told dispatch that I was 10-06 at the Sub (it was time to watch Cops) but they didn't hear me and thought I was 10-08 then actually dispatched me to a 22-D which generated a report, it was brutal that night I caught 3 writers in one shift. Man was I ready for the weekend. :mrgreen:

Postby real old timer » 11/17/10 21:33:11

Heck, back in the day me and old what-his-face...you know...guy retired about 13 years ago. Anyway, we were working down on Marco...you boys remember Marco? Shoot, we used to catch them smugglers left and right and tell em, "Billy Bob I'm sorry, your going away for 20 years, but don't worry, you'll all be getting out in 2000 and start running swamp boats and whatnot. So I'm combing my neck hair, swattin' them flies like they were....what...? Naples is calling me?? Shooot, that's like my third call in the last 6 hours.....Freakin radios, I didn't even hear that call. How do you add one of them smiley faces? I remember we had to hand write on leo affairs with pen and paper, not this fancy, hewlett packard IBM i pod junk.
real old timer

Postby Guest » 11/18/10 02:43:21

Guest wrote:Ok here is a perfect example of how bad the problem is, last Saturday night I keyed up and told dispatch that I was 10-06 at the Sub (it was time to watch Cops) but they didn't hear me and thought I was 10-08 then actually dispatched me to a 22-D which generated a report, it was brutal that night I caught 3 writers in one shift. Man was I ready for the weekend. :mrgreen:

Bro, you were hooooolding sooo much paaaaaaaaapa!

Postby veteranrookie » 11/18/10 09:12:49

Paparazzi LEO wrote:The radio system sucks enough to make any sane person angry... just ask Joe!

He's sane? wow, now I'm thinking you're crazy!

Yes the radios suck. Just give me a TA-312 and some commo wire, you can't go wrong there.
A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood -George S. Patton
veteranrookie
Verified LEO

Highscores: 9

Postby 10-9 naples » 12/06/10 09:54:19

Great radios this weekend. Two patched districts and the FLT can attest to this one…

31-V/31-P in East Naples. While trying to coordinate efforts to capture a fleeing felon with assist from multiple districts, air unit, FLT and K-9 the FN radios decide to go on the fritz AGAIN! At one point about every other transmission was 10-1.

This is such a common occurrence now a days its become a big joke between dispatch and patrol. Here’s the thing, this isn’t a joke. Your radio is one of the most important pieces of gear strapped to your belt. It is your lifeline for help and an essential part of our communication, which in most situations is the only thing in our favor. Our ability to communicate has gotten so bad people are having to keep both mobile and portable radios on at the same time in their car so they don’t miss an important transmission. I can say with certainty that every person who uses their radio on a daily bases and not just to go 86/87 has experienced radio problems every day.

With such frequency, how long will it take before a 10-24 or 10-14, 10-46 goes unheard??? It may happen today or as your reading this. Does a spouse, child or family member have to be handed a flag folded in the shape of a triangle before something is done to correct this?

This is one of the best agencies in the state that cares for its members and gives its deputies the best tools to do their job. Why is one of our most basic needs being overlooked?

If you are reading this and have the power or ability to assist in this situation please help your brothers. We are all counting on you.
10-9 naples

Next

Return to Collier County Sheriff's Office