Last months arrest of a Lee Deputy for DUI, resisting arrest

Moderators: Mod 610, Staff Moderator

Last months arrest of a Lee Deputy for DUI, resisting arrest

Postby Guest » 12/08/09 18:11:22

FHP calls it like they see it, no discretion for drunk Lee County Deputy...

Deputy arrested for DUI, resisting arrest
Posted: Nov 12, 2009 12:05 PM EST
Updated: Nov 12, 2009 4:13 PM EST

LEE COUNTY: A Lee County sheriff’s deputy was arrested overnight on DUI and resisting arrest charges.

The Florida Highway Patrol said they received a report of a car involved in an accident at SR-80 and Hickey Creek Road just before 8:30 p.m. Wednesday.

The trooper who arrived on the scene didn’t find an accident, instead a truck stuck in a ditch – though he said the vehicle had clearly sustained damage from an accident elsewhere.

Other deputies told the trooper they found Robert Thomas Magee, 44, behind the wheel of the vehicle and he appeared to be impaired.

The also informed the trooper Magee was a deputy.

Magee allegedly told the trooper he’d pulled over to urinate when his car got stuck, though the trooper noted the position of the car and how far off the road it was didn’t match up with his story.

He also noted Magee’s speech was slurred while telling what happened and he smelled of alcohol.

The trooper says Magee became belligerent when told he was being investigated for DUI.

Magee was handcuffed and then sat down, telling the trooper he’d have to lift him to move him into a patrol car, according to the report.

Several deputies helped the trooper move Magee, but the suspect then allegedly resisted getting into the cruiser.

The trooper said Magee also kicked at the window once they got him inside.

As the trooper examined Magee’s vehicle, he said he found an 18-pack of Natural Ice beer, with six of them empty inside the truck.

Magee has been with the sheriff's office since October 1994.

Re: Last months arrest of a Lee Deputy for DUI, resisting arrest

Postby Guest » 12/08/09 19:16:25

Already been posted, but you knew that already.....

Why don't you repost this every week until you figure out something else to rage over.

Postby Guest » 12/08/09 20:00:54

Guest wrote:Already been posted, but you knew that already.....

Why don't you repost this every week until you figure out something else to rage over.

OK, If you say so. Before posting it I searched the forum for Magee and didn't find where it had already been posted. I also searched the forum for DUI and didn't find it either, so i posted it. I'm just posting a news story related to the LCSO, thats all. Rage has nothing to do with it.

If you don't like the message fine whatever, but don't shoot the messenger.

Postby Bosco's dad » 12/08/09 21:47:57

Very old news, channel 2 covered it. If you're the messenger than what is the point.
Bosco's dad

Postby Guest » 12/09/09 13:14:54

The point is you guys need a raise. Natty Ice is cheap and nasty! If that's the best brew he can afford no wonder he needs to get blasted before going out.

Postby does'nt matter » 01/13/10 11:33:00

One thing that was never brought into light in this whole situation is that Robert Magee has suffered multiple strokes..Isnt it possible that the behavior he was exhibting could of been medical related..Why dont you look back at his career and look at all the good he has done before you decide to bash someone for something that has not been prooven..I know for a fact that he is a good man and has never treated anyone unfairly..I know that there are alot of bloodthirsty lawenforcement with chips on their shoulders out there but he is not one of them..
does'nt matter

Postby Guest » 01/13/10 12:14:58

doesn't matter wrote:One thing that was never brought into light in this whole situation is that Robert Magee has suffered multiple strokes..Isnt it possible that the behavior he was exhibting could of been medical related..Why dont you look back at his career and look at all the good he has done before you decide to bash someone for something that has not been prooven..I know for a fact that he is a good man and has never treated anyone unfairly..I know that there are alot of bloodthirsty lawenforcement with chips on their shoulders out there but he is not one of them..

First, getting a DUI has nothing to do with whether your a "good man" or not. Second, the Trooper noted his truck was stuck in a ditch when he arrived, Magee smelled like beer, he was slurring his speech and there was an 18 pack of beer in the truck, six of which were empties. Naturally he start a DUI investigation, after which Magee became uncooperative and resisted.

All of that is much more consistent with being buzzed rather then the after effects of a stroke. Unless he blew triple zeros he doesn't stand a chance if he takes it to trial. The best he can hope for is a wet reckless plea deal. Doesn't mean he isn't a good man, he just screwed up an is going to have to pay the price just like everyone else does. I hope the SAO doesn't plead it down to a wet reckless though...

Postby Guest » 03/18/10 08:48:20

Was this guy a cop or correction's officer? Did the other deputies know him and couldnt calm him down? I know Lee is a decent size agency. I am curious was he found behind the wheel? It is a single car crash at best against a tree. That wont hold natty ice water in court. It has probly been nolle pros already. How do they know he had not cumed alchol after the incident???? hmmmm Weve all seen this ..Not saying by no means what he did was right but we all know this case has holes all in it. The attitide of the deputy will at least cost him his job. Conduct unbecoming at best.

Postby Guest » 03/18/10 13:55:35

Guest wrote:It has probly been nolle pros already.

Nope, wishful thinking. He's out on bond with 4 pending charges. DUI 1rst offense, Resisting officer w/o violence, Tag expired more then 6 months 1rst offense, and failure to provide proof of insurance.

Postby Guest » 03/18/10 14:14:54

BTW, as for you "what if" defense...

Guest wrote:How do they know he had not cumed alchol after the incident????

Ahem, that's not a plausible defense. Any Sheriffs Deputy who's dimwitted enough to run off the road and wreck his truck then break into an 18 pack of beer and consume 6 of them at the scene while waiting for a ride is a moron who deserves to be charged with DUI.

Anyone who's not bright enough to see that's a bad move probably shouldn't be wearing a badge in the first place. Talk about bad judgment! No jury is going to buy that defense, not when it's coming from a Sheriffs Deputy who would know better then to do something so epically moronic.

Postby Redskin Nation » 03/19/10 02:16:31

Couple of observations:

One car crash? FHP should have driven him home or called someone from LCSO to do it. Yet another example of them not doing right by fellow law enforcement.

If there is evidence of medical issues it can and should be introduced at trial as a defense. If the suspect deputy was smart, he refused to blow when the time came.

Whether or not it is good or bad judgment for the suspect deputy to drink after the crash or not is irrelevant. It is still a defense that, like the medical issues, can and should be introduced as part of the defense. That I know of there is no case law that says a deputy is exempt from certain defenses.

Finally, why do we always seem to log on here to find cops acting like little girls and pointing fingers when another cop gets in trouble. Once thing I miss from up north is the solidarity. Here it always kick him when he's down.
Redskin Nation

Return to Lee County Sheriff's Office