Sheriff Tom Knight closes law enforcement operations in south county - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Unregistered
    Barber shop soap boxer.

I was able to speak to about 10 people in the local barber shop recently about the closing of South County and the movement of the detectives to Sarasota. Most had already heard of the desk deputies being taken away but none had really understood that the detectives were working from an office in Sarasota. I was able to help them all understand the implications and logistical problems that come with working from Sarasota on cases in Englewood, Venice, and North Port. None of them knew about Knights arrest or his brother's problems and none knew about Hoffman stealing gas from the citizens. I have been telling everyone that I can about this administration and their lack of concern for almost everything that does not involve the betterment of themselves.

It is grass roots talking points, like I do to anyone willing to listen that will allow us to rid ourselves from Knight and Hoffman. We have been told time and time again that we do not matter. I beg to differ. People are willing to listen. Everyone loves gossip. Spread the truth. Now is the time. Keep speaking up. I know I will.

Unregistered
    It’s almost comical how employees are lectured on being “rightful” by hypocrites who know nothing of it. Unfortunately with the current command staff it will never get better. The wolves have the run of the hen house.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    It’s almost comical how employees are lectured on being “rightful” by hypocrites who know nothing of it. Unfortunately with the current command staff it will never get better. The wolves have the run of the hen house.
    It's the old "Do as I say, not as I do" mentality. The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Unregistered
    I feel sorry for the next sheriff who inherits the Sarasota Sheriff's Office because Knight has bastaradized and skeletonized the agency. So far, Knight has:
    • Skeletonized the SRO unit
    • Skeletonized bailiffs (remember when he abandoned security at the Clerk of Court building, thus allowing in unauthorized firearms by citizens who did not have CCW permits?)
    • Abolished or dismantled community policing substations
    • Abolished south county desk officers

So now that Knight has skeletonized the infrastructure of the Sarasota Sheriff's Office, exactly where are all the surplus [sic] officers promised by Knight? The patrol division is still short of deputies. Exactly what has Knight done with all the money?

It took YEARS of negotiating with the county commissioners to acquire funding to obtain substations --- and to acquire the south county facility (and SRO's) --- but Knight has dismantled all of it. When Knight is gone, the population boom will continue to skyrocket because people continue to move here --- and now it will take DECADES to rebuild what Knight has dismantled.
    Mr. Knight has abolished multiple community policing stations and instead of lobbying the Sarasota County commissioners for a brand new jail in central Sarasota County (around Knight's trail park), Mr. Knight lobbied for a new headquarters on Cattleridge Road. This is gross incompetence because Mr. Knight should have been planning for a new jail 10 years ago, but instead, he got himself a brand new headquarters -- and the jail remains problematic.

Unregistered

Question

Mr. Knight has abolished multiple community policing stations and instead of lobbying the Sarasota County commissioners for a brand new jail in central Sarasota County (around Knight's trail park), Mr. Knight lobbied for a new headquarters on Cattleridge Road. This is gross incompetence because Mr. Knight should have been planning for a new jail 10 years ago, but instead, he got himself a brand new headquarters -- and the jail remains problematic.
    Which is more cost effective for countywide taxpayers:

• CHOICE A - Closing down south county HQ & building a new grandiose north county HQ (that is out-of-reach to south county residents)?
    • CHOICE B - Or building a new and bigger centralized jail?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Knight chose CHOICE A. Wrong answer!!!!

Unregistered

Don't forget Homeland Security

DESTRUCTION OF SSO SRO UNIT:
    The SSO SRO unit used to be a front runner in the United States. We were also one of the first SRO units to practice active-shooter training (before it became mandatory nationwide). Other agencies modeled their new SRO programs after ours. Knight first destroyed the SSO SRO unit -- and then disbanded it. Knight has destroyed our relationship with the Sarasota School District.

DESTRUCTION OF SSO COURT SERVICES REPUTATION WITH 12TH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT:
    The SSO used to have an awesome working-relationship with the 12th Judicial Circuit. We worked hand-in-hand with the needs of the court. Then Knight got into an argument with the chief judge and Knight completely removed security from the Clerk of Court building, thus allowing all guns into the building, to include those without CCW permits. Knight has destroyed our relationship with the court system.

DESTRUCTION OF SOUTH COUNTY OPERATIONS:
    The SSO used to have an awesome working-relationship with south county residents, to include surrounding police departments (NPPD, VPD & CCSO). Knight is in currently in the process of destroying those working-relationships with south county residents.

He is truly a knightmare for everyone who gets to know him intimately and for everything that he touches (torches).
    He also got rid of the homeland security unit, that had a fantastic level of cooperation with our federal counterparts, now they are called the intelligence unit and they basically have nothing to do with working any cases on both the state and federal level. There are very dangerous people around us but without having the proper security clearances we will never know. What a shame!

Unregistered
    How true is this statement!! Then I love when citizens come up to you and say wow your Sheriff is a nice guy and he has the SO running right, how I wish I could say, actually the place is a disaster, the Sheriff is nothing but a bully, as an agency we don't get along with anyone anymore, we have a Captain and a Major who are out of control. We have systematically been closing down locations and units for years now with south county the people are beginning to understand!

No south jail

No south county office

No desk officers

No south detectives unit

No SRO's

Senior Member LEO Affairs Lieutenant

Lightbulb Sheriff Knight says “We don’t do anything in an office”

Quote Originally Posted by “Earle Kimel”
    At the South Venice Civic Association, Sheriff Tom Knight talked about his decision to close public access to the south Sarasota County Substation’s desk. Knight said, “We don’t do anything in an office.”

Retired Sheriff’s Lt. John Kost, a South Venice resident, pointed out that six deputies still staff a desk in north Sarasota County. Knight said to Kost, “You call us, like me tonight, we will come see you.”

Knight spent most of the time talking about homelessness. “If you see somebody who looks homeless, email us and we’ll send our Homeless Outreach team to them.”
    Full story:
    https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2...nty-substation
    Journalism can never be silent: that is its greatest virtue and its greatest fault. It must speak, and speak immediately, while the echoes of wonder, the claims of triumph and the signs of horror are still in the air.

Unregistered
    For a guy who has never worked a single day as a Deputy or Detective he sure knows alot! If he ever turned on the radio he would hear "any unit in the area" every day. Hey dummy, this means we have no units available to send to calls! And all those detectives he has out in the field are only in his mind. This guy is either mentally ill or on drugs. As the county grows in population the number of deputies on the road remains the same. It's math Tom, more people, more calls, more Deputies needed to serve them.

Unregistered

Thumbs up passive-aggressive

Quote Originally Posted by Earle Kimel View Post
    Knight said to Kost, “You call us, like me tonight, we will come see you.”

• Why is Knight telling Kost to "personally" call him?
    • And why is Knight telling Kost that he will "personally" pay him a visit?
    • Is Knight going to beat-up Kost?
    • Habeas corpus? (Habeas grab ass)

Knight's passive-aggressive comment sounds oddly aggressive. Knight's reaction is frankly very strange, and yet it's par for the course. Nothing has changed.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast