Commander Randy Crone Case Dropped
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unregistered

Commander Randy Crone Case Dropped

Theft and fraud case against former Lee County Sheriff's Office commander dropped

Michael Braun, Fort Myers News-Press Published 8:30 a.m. ET Oct. 22, 2018 | Updated 12:00 p.m. ET Oct. 22, 2018

The 2016 grand theft and fraud case against former Lee County Sheriff's Office Commander Randy Crone has been dropped by the state attorney's office for insufficient evidence.

Crone, who retired in mid-2016, was arrested in December 2016 following an investigation over discrepancies in his work hours.

A complaint was received by the sheriff's office in July 2016 about the discrepancies.

An internal review confirmed potential violations of criminal law and the complaint was turned over to the Lee County Sheriff's Office Economic Crimes Unit.

After the investigation, the case was forwarded to the state attorney's office for consideration of an arrest warrant for the offenses of official misconduct, scheme to defraud and grand theft totaling more than $60,000. An arrest warrant on charges of grand theft (second degree) was issued.

However, the State Attorney's Office of the 20th Judicial Circuit said that the evidence did not bear out the charges and on Oct. 5 filed a motion not to prosecute.

Use of flex time was a major issue. State attorney case notes said there was a "severe gray area" when it came to determining the flex time that Crone used.

"...the state simply cannot prove beyond a reasonable doubt the amount of hours (Crone) could be flexing."

The Sheriff's Office declined comment.

Connect with this reporter: MichaelBraunNP (Facebook) @MichaelBraunNP (Twitter)

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Theft and fraud case against former Lee County Sheriff's Office commander dropped

Michael Braun, Fort Myers News-Press Published 8:30 a.m. ET Oct. 22, 2018 | Updated 12:00 p.m. ET Oct. 22, 2018

The 2016 grand theft and fraud case against former Lee County Sheriff's Office Commander Randy Crone has been dropped by the state attorney's office for insufficient evidence.

Crone, who retired in mid-2016, was arrested in December 2016 following an investigation over discrepancies in his work hours.

A complaint was received by the sheriff's office in July 2016 about the discrepancies.

An internal review confirmed potential violations of criminal law and the complaint was turned over to the Lee County Sheriff's Office Economic Crimes Unit.

After the investigation, the case was forwarded to the state attorney's office for consideration of an arrest warrant for the offenses of official misconduct, scheme to defraud and grand theft totaling more than $60,000. An arrest warrant on charges of grand theft (second degree) was issued.

However, the State Attorney's Office of the 20th Judicial Circuit said that the evidence did not bear out the charges and on Oct. 5 filed a motion not to prosecute.

Use of flex time was a major issue. State attorney case notes said there was a "severe gray area" when it came to determining the flex time that Crone used.

"...the state simply cannot prove beyond a reasonable doubt the amount of hours (Crone) could be flexing."

The Sheriff's Office declined comment.

Connect with this reporter: MichaelBraunNP (Facebook) @MichaelBraunNP (Twitter)
    But they reviewed the warrant and issued it, smells like something else here

Unregistered

Weather

Less humidity today.

Unregistered
    We all know how many hours we all work, and how much 'flex' time we all use. We all do it - we have to. It's the only way to keep our sanity and get our 'hours' back, since we're not getting paid 'overtime'. Looks to me like our Hallway wanted to use him to make a statement, but, well.... looks like the only statement they could come up with is 'we have all done it, we all do it, and we'll continue to do it.'

Unregistered
    Less humidity today.
    It's about time. Summers here are brutal.

Unregistered
    Does anybody really care? We obviously had crap as proof. Besides, I'm off work today, while getting paid... I think we call it a 'flex' day?.... or comp time?... not sure anymore...

Unregistered

Home Depot

Has Travertine tile on sale.

Unregistered
    Has Travertine tile on sale.
    Great to know! I'll go grab some since I'm off on COMP TIME today, and I'll even drive my squad car over to get it.

Unregistered
    You've got that right. 15 years in CID and Economic Crimes and I NEVER had the SAO drop a case after they reviewed a WR and issued the warrant/capias. It soesn't smell, it stinks to high heaven.

Unregistered
    You've got that right. 15 years in CID and Economic Crimes and I NEVER had the SAO drop a case after they reviewed a WR and issued the warrant/capias. It soesn't smell, it stinks to high heaven.
    Looks like you have now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast