MBPD Stories #1

Thread: MBPD Stories #1

MBPD Stories #1

I see that there is some interest in discussing what is great about us and what are some of the interesting stories from our past. I hope that you find this a healthy exercise and encourage others to share their memories, experiences and positive plans for the future. Again, when controversial, names will be omitted to keep this process a bit of storytelling as opposed to a hurtful attack. In some cases the incident may be so well known that the characters involved will be identifiable, but the story will be told in a tasteful manner.

I want to remain anonymous - not for some hidden agenda, but because I want the material - not the author - to be the focus of the reader. I will try my best to be accurate and make clear when I am not sure on some details and encourage a more informed source to make corrections or add missing details. As you might imagine, my memory is fading with time and my stories seem to get better each time I tell them. My personal memory goes back to the 60's and I have spoken to old timers who - in one case - go back to the 20's.

Just to whet your appetite, in the first few postings I will talk about the MB serial killer, police dog "Taxi" and the Piccolo's burglary.

But story #1 will be a brief summary about our past police stations.

If I have my history correct....

Our first police station was at 615 Collins Avenue. Miami Beach basically began its development south to north and was incorporated just about 100 years ago. Our first station in the heart of the - then - existing city was a two story wood building that housed all city departments. Downstairs in a sort of garage was the Fire Department and everything else was upstairs, including Commission chambers. Later, when the new City Hall building was built at 11th and Washington, the Fire Department worked out of the north side of the building.

The second police station was 722 1st Street on the NE corner of 1st and Meridian. Then the third building was 100 Meridian which remained a part of the police complex until the move to 1100 Washington in 1986. The fourth building was 120 Meridian. and finally 1100 Wash.

In the 60's, 70's and 80's the city and MBPD grew at a rapid pace and 120 Meridian was soon inadequate. In fact we ended up expanding, using and reusing the buildings as follows:

722 was variously the Traffic Bureau, the Taxi Bureau, Services and the Detective Bureau. Also, at a certain point, roll call moved from the men's locker room in 120 to across the street.

100 was headquarters, and the second floor was the city court (later the CDC) and the third floor was the city jail (later the property room).

120 was HQ starting, I think, in the late 50's or early 60's. The west side of the building was the Detective Bureau, and you didn't go back there unless you were called for. The north side was the Chief's office and the east side was the lobby and Patrol. Later, DB moved across the street and Patrol moved to the west side. The second floor was records and a small suite of offices was VIN (Vice, Intelligence and Narcotics - the precursor to SIU). Later, SIU moved to a trailer between 100 and 120 and their old offices on the second floor became Internal Affairs.

Still later, SIU moved out of the complex, Services moved to the SW corner of 5th and Alton and a Mounted Patrol facility was opened in the old Boy Scout camp.

Later, everyone moved into the 1100 building where there was more than enough room for everyone.

If any of the old timers can provide better details on 615, 722 or 100, please jump in. I'm sure I am missing something worth remembering or have gotten something wrong.

Before I move on to other stories my next posting will be more details on the 120 building, which was a very important part of my life.

Be safe....

Re: MBPD Stories #1

cool wish we had some old pictures!

I remember dispatch was in the 1st floor at 120 Meridan and the
    complaint desk was the first thing you saw when
    you came in the lobby, complete with the manual
    typewriters and daily logs. LOL The second floor was home
    to ID, records, channel 2 and booking...ahh those were the
    days!!!

Yeah, those were the days. When we felt like we won the lottery after being hired by this great city. We were honored to be part of the incredible history. When the fine citizens of Miami beach held us in high regard.....I will not bring up recent years since this is a "positive" post. Anyway, it was truly an honor to work here.