Hollywood Robbery case ruined

Hollywood Robbery case ruined

New officer here but, I gotta speak up about the past 48 hours. What a joke they were.

First off we have a string of robberies. During the response to the initial call, all the units on the road went to the scene of the crime. No one directed a permitter to catch the bad guy as he left. As it is there are only 3 ways out of the hard rock. So since all the officers went to the scene of the crime, on the way out, the robber robs another old innocent lady of her retirement savings.

Next day in briefing, another new guy really give it to the Lieutenant and Sergeant. The Sergeant apologizes for his inexperience. The lieutenant says things will change.

Well low and behold the robber shows back up.

The sergeant calls us over to the garage but no one seems to know what to do.

We finally stop the robber and no one knows what to do with him. I see officers pissed. *I see the Lieutenant and the Sergeant burning minutes, tweeting and making good use of their cell phones while we all just stand around.

Finally, we arrest the guy for something about his license and they want us to search the car and take out some stuff that may belong to the victim of the robbery.

My question is does Arizona vs. Grant come into play here?*

Some of the officers actually refused to search the vehicle.*

If we arrest him 4 a driver license isn't the scope of our search of that vehicle limited to evidence about *to the DL crime?

So we end up not searching the car and towing it to the Police station.

There a detective meets us and asks the arrested fellow consent to search his car, the brother said NO! *But he did confess to the robbery.. So good job to the officers and detectives involved.

Now the detective comes out and tells us the news. After that, the Lieutenant ad Sergeant still has us search his car and seize evidence of the robbery out of it.*

I know we can do an inventory of the vehicle but to actually take property out of the car, doesn't that constitute a search?

So I think we all did a good job considering our lack of leadership. We caught a robber but made a horrible case.

From the beginning, the way we responded to the initial robbery call, to the way we stopped the vehicle, then our arrest of him and the way we took evidence out of his car I think there was a big lack of leadership.

Some of the senior guys said we needed a warrant. I don't have enough experience to know the right answer but I do know when the sergeant and Lieutenant are glued to the *phone that shows that they do not have experience and cannot make a decision.

I am leaving this place in July because I don't want to get killed because of stupid leaders.

I did tell my sergeant what I thought but he wouldn't listen. When you put me in a position to do something wrong, I squeal like a pig.

Re: Hollywood Robbery case ruined

We agree with the lack of leadership and it's getting worse. If in doubt always secure a search warrant, doesn't take long if you know what you're doing. We agree, this place reaps with stupid want-a-bees. No one from Lt or above can make a decision. This is not their fault, it goes to the top. He refuses to do anything about it, he is snowed. Thanks for the information, you are right and we are losing good people like yourself because we are out numbered. We pray the chairman will one day clean it up, this is for real. We need to bring up more issues on this site and do what's right. Send letters to James. Thanks