Assignment pay
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Assignment pay

Assignment pay

The new organizational chart shows the warrants division under Administration. Are the officers assigned to warrants losing their assignment pay because they arent in Investigations anymore. If they don't then Civil deputies need to be called Civil Investigators and get assignment pay too
    Vote no on the PBA contract

Re: Assignment pay

And Haines is in charge of IT????? What does he know about IT? This ought to be good. Welcome to four more years

There are a lot of people with the title and job duty of "investigator" that are not part of investigations, but do receive assignment pay.

Really? Like who?
    If that is the case then when the Patrol Deputy investigates a case he should get assignment pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Really? Like who?
    If that is the case then when the Patrol Deputy investigates a case he should get assignment pay.

It has always been the attitude of the department that these "special" investigators get assignment pay in the form of money and patrol gets assignment pay in the form of shift differential (comp. time) for working nights. This is an issue for PBA since it is in the contract. Therefor, nothing will change but 1st Lieutenants get a pay raise since they fall outside the collective bargaining spectrum and can be promoted/demoted at will. Don't ever expect patrol to get compensated for anything but your 30 minute lunch. Wait until some investigator gets on here and spews about how hard his job is since he is at home on nights and weekends with a 1 hour lunch everyday. They will cry, moan and ***** and suggest that they have moved up because "anyone" can work patrol but it takes a "special" person to work Investigations. We have been down this road and you can look at previous topics that addressed this issue. Someone even said once that, "any monkey can work patrol". Well, I can show a handful of Investigators that suck at their job now and sucked at patrol. They got where they are because of who they know/knew.

Drop the issue, patrol wont get crap with PBA.

I work in investigations and from looking at the reports that come my way, I can name quite a few patrol deputies, to include some of those "seasoned" two year FTOS we have that couldn't investigate or follow up on a bicicyle theft with witnesses without sending it upstairs for a decision to be made.

I personally feel that Patrol is and always will be the backbone of any agency and all too often, the first place that is screwed over when changes are made (probably because they have the largest pool to select from) but to trash talk investigations when we have some serious training issues that are being presented in the form of basic report writing screw ups is like casting stones in a glass house.

Assignment pay exists for several reasons, and keep in mind that it is not just investigators that receive assignment pay. SWAT, FTOs, etc. all get something extra. The assignment pay is meant:

#1 - to reward those who take on additional responsibilities
    #2 - to reward those who receive the extra training to do those jobs
    #3 - to provide an incentive to excel and expand your skills and abilities

Whether you want to admit it or not, most special assignments involve additional training, risks to personal safety, and/or legal liabilites. SWAT deals with life or death situations that are above those calls handled by patrol. Investigators handle a higher percentage of complex cases, or cases involving serious crimes that demand special skills. FTOs are literally shaping the future of the department.

And regardless of how hard you think those officers work, the fact is, SWAT and investigators are on call pretty much 24/7, unlike those who simply work patrol and can go home at the end of their shift, knowing that there is about a 0% chance that they will be called back to work.

So before you bash our assignment pay, take a look at other agencies, especially those that you would consider to be "progressive" or "modernized." Nearly every one provides additional pay for those officers who take on additional or specialized duties.

None of those people that receive assignment pay are "better" officers than any that don't receive anything extra, but the fact is, they are probably better at their specail jobs than most others. The people on SWAT are the best officers we have for that team. The investigators we have are the best people for those positions, and the FTOs we have are the best at their job. If they are not, hopefully their supervisors see that and remove them.

If you think you can do any of their jobs better, apply for them. Otherwise, you have no room to complain.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the PBA contract say assignment pay for Investigations. Not investigator but investigations. The warrants division is no longer part of investigations It is now a unit under Administration. They should no longer be receiving assignment pay

Haines shouldn't be allowed to have it both ways. He wants to supervise his buddy doing reserve time in warrants so he moved warrants out from investigations and under him which is administration. But then PBA would have to object to this and they won't because they are afraid of Haines. He runs the PBA

Really? Like who?
    How about all the Sergeants and Lieutenant in I.A.? How about the Sgt over intel? How about homeland security? How about the Sgt that is detached to the JTTF?

And I don't know if the guys detached to the Gun Crimes Task Force get assignment pay or not, but they are making so much overtime it is rediculous. THAT is why they want to come out on everything. THAT is the same reason why the deputies that are part of the Marshalls dont want you looking for their people... because if you found them, that would take away their overtime.

But to finish responding to your idea above, that makes no sense. Otherwise, every time investigations came out past normal hours, they would get "shift differential" just like you, or if a deputy teaches something to a rookie, he should get FTO pay. Try again.

Quote Originally Posted by try this angle
    Really? Like who?
    How about all the Sergeants and Lieutenant in I.A.? How about the Sgt over intel? How about homeland security? How about the Sgt that is detached to the JTTF?

And I don't know if the guys detached to the Gun Crimes Task Force get assignment pay or not, but they are making so much overtime it is rediculous. THAT is why they want to come out on everything. THAT is the same reason why the deputies that are part of the Marshalls dont want you looking for their people... because if you found them, that would take away their overtime.

But to finish responding to your idea above, that makes no sense. Otherwise, every time investigations came out past normal hours, they would get "shift differential" just like you, or if a deputy teaches something to a rookie, he should get FTO pay. Try again.
    Sorry but Intelligence and Homeland Security and Air Operations does NOT receive assignment pay. The rest you mentioned I don't honestly know.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast