Pay raise or a clever way to cut pay? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Pay raise or a clever way to cut pay?

Hey Joe, what about the pay-cut I have taken the last two years? It was waaaay more than 1% The Sheriff has been saving money from his payroll by forcing pay-cuts on all of us. Now he gives us 1% back of money that should have been in our paychecks and he is somehow being generous?

It's like when the government returned tax surpluses and we were supposed to say how benevolent our goverment was to return OUR tax money.

Give me a a break. This is just more of the same shell games this administration has been playing from the start and ignorant fools fall for it every time!

Quote Originally Posted by joe shmoe
    Hey Joe, what about the pay-cut I have taken the last two years? It was waaaay more than 1% The Sheriff has been saving money from his payroll by forcing pay-cuts on all of us. Now he gives us 1% back of money that should have been in our paychecks and he is somehow being generous?

It's like when the government returned tax surpluses and we were supposed to say how benevolent our goverment was to return OUR tax money.

Give me a a break. This is just more of the same shell games this administration has been playing from the start and ignorant fools fall for it every time!

You didn't take a pay cut, you went without a step.

The money was not earmarked for your pocket until the Sheriff ask if it could be.

The only this 1% step increase raise does is successfully DO AWAY with the old STEP PLAN that was FINALLY put in place. Read the memo closely and you will see that thise effectively kills the old step plan and will cost all sworn leo's thousands of dollars over their career. If they would have just given everyone a 1% raise, instead of calling a 1% raise your NEXT STEP, totally different story. Now deputies will have to work 15-20 years to top out, compared to the 11 years the way it was designed by the union. You also notice that the TOP OUT pay is not going up either, as they are only giving a one time lump payment.

I realize that some don't take the time to look at the whole picture and only read the words 1% raise. This is exactly what they want, because in the end they have killed the old step plan and have saved the office millions of dollars. As far as "Joe Average", you usually have had some level headed posts on here for the most part, but this is one topic that you are way off track on. Alot of hard work went into getting the old step plan into place, to just see it fall apart like this. If anyone took the time to actually look closely at the figures and see how much money they are now losing due to this move, they would tell em to keep this 1% step plan killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Good
    But you should really tell them to keep the 1% and we will talk about a bigger raise next year, or years to come. Those of you who fall for 1% are just plain ignorant.

Hey Moron who responded about being greedy. Look at what I wrote........."next year or years to come".......that means turn down 1% and wait till the "layoff's" and economy turns arouns then approach the county for a larger raise.

Why do I feel like I just got screwed? I've still got my clothes on for petes sake. The least the budget gods could do is give me a lil kiss while their having their way with me.

The Legislature is aggressively trying to ruin the best thing we have for ourselves and that is our retirement system due to the bad economy. But this new ignorant breed would rather complain about the Sheriff giving a 1% raise, despite political opposition, and cast him as an evil doer. I only wish I was closer to retirement as I’m afraid these people who aren’t afraid to air their endless greed on a public forum will be the cause of the demise of once great FRS. The average voter doesn’t care about our retirement system or lack of and people coming on here looking greedy about a raise sure doesn’t garner any support.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Garage
    The Legislature is aggressively trying to ruin the best thing we have for ourselves and that is our retirement system due to the bad economy. But this new ignorant breed would rather complain about the Sheriff giving a 1% raise, despite political opposition, and cast him as an evil doer. I only wish I was closer to retirement as I’m afraid these people who aren’t afraid to air their endless greed on a public forum will be the cause of the demise of once great FRS. The average voter doesn’t care about our retirement system or lack of and people coming on here looking greedy about a raise sure doesn’t garner any support.
    You are right in one aspect Monster G. The legislature will continue to attack our retirement and the average tax payer could care less about our retirement when they are working hard to make ends meet themselves. But we are tax payers as well. The powers to be can keep their raise of one percent as far as I'm concerned and just adhere to the previous step pay scale. Of course thats not the plan is it. While none of us expect to get rich doing this job we would like the powers to be to recognize that we do actually earn our money and work hard for a living. Is that really to much to ask?

Well I apologize up front for being behind the curve. I find this new development to be worded more from what I would expect from an attorney's leader head. First I was under the understanding that the freeze prevented us from getting any raises for the next two years due to the county budget cuts and all. I was also under the notion that even though we weren't getting raises we would still progress in step (meaning if you have 6 years on by the end of the freeze you would be in step 8) and then be paid as you were in step 8 at the end of the freeze. I must be honest I didn't ever think about it,until this newest letter. I never thought the freeze would mean your in step 6 you stay in step 6 for two years and then finally get paid step 6. If this is the case I have to agree were getting bent over gezz, again guys and gals sorry for being behind the curve but if you could shed some light it would be greatly appreciated. I understand not getting a raise times are tough, even though sometimes it seems we are bleeding money and inventing new things to spend money on. Its just plain foul for a ten or seven year Dep to get paid the same as an eight or five year Dep. I hope I read into this new letter wrong and if I did I apologize for the post. Be safe out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Well I apologize up front for being behind the curve. I find this new development to be worded more from what I would expect from an attorney's leader head. First I was under the understanding that the freeze prevented us from getting any raises for the next two years due to the county budget cuts and all. I was also under the notion that even though we weren't getting raises we would still progress in step (meaning if you have 6 years on by the end of the freeze you would be in step 8) and then be paid as you were in step 8 at the end of the freeze. I must be honest I didn't ever think about it,until this newest letter. I never thought the freeze would mean your in step 6 you stay in step 6 for two years and then finally get paid step 6. If this is the case I have to agree were getting bent over gezz, again guys and gals sorry for being behind the curve but if you could shed some light it would be greatly appreciated. I understand not getting a raise times are tough, even though sometimes it seems we are bleeding money and inventing new things to spend money on. Its just plain foul for a ten or seven year Dep to get paid the same as an eight or five year Dep. I hope I read into this new letter wrong and if I did I apologize for the post. Be safe out there.
    You DID NOT read it wrong. They are giving everyone a 1% raise and calling it your next step raise. If you are not topped out already, or in your 3-8 years of employment, you are getting really shafted. The step raise was fought for and accomplished by the union when it was here and now that the union is gone......well, you can figure out the rest. Probably take you a good 15 to 17 years at the very least to top out now. By then, the top out pay will be well below the national average anyway, since it appears there are no plans to adjust that as well along the way of 1% raises.

The 1% sounds like it has not been approved by BOCC so it can not be called a cost of living. This sounds more like the Sheriff has enough money left over from his current budget to give a 1% increase in salary instead of returning it to the BOCC. Thus he has to call it something so he is winking and calling it a step.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast