va police - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: va police

Re: va police

Quote Originally Posted by 1/2 full glass
    Pretty clear to me your glass is half empty. Having them there will reduce calls to that facility. Will we respond to the big stuff, yes, but it will help. Glad to have them!
    Nothin will change except they will be callin us more often and probably stirring the pot. Remember idle hands are the devil's play ground.

The sky is falling!

Last time I was at the VA 2 years ago they were security guards. On another note Federal LEOs are considered peace officers in the state of Florida they can arrest for a violant crime and take the arrestee to the county jail on any state charge which is a breach of the peace, this however never happens. If a battery occurs on site on a federal employee its a federal crime (felony) and suspect can be presented in front of a federal magistrate or go with the Florida statue of battery on a paramedic/health service worker depending on the situation or simple battery. VA police are not covered under federal law enforcement retirement and have limited jurisdiction(va grounds only). This is not the case with federal agents (the entire US is the Jurisdiction), also local crimes can be used in a federal court if an appropriate crime is not available (example DUI). One thing federal LEO can't do is a baker-act.

Like I said, we (the SO) will be responding. Even if a VA officer did arrest someone on "assault on a federal officer" charge and transported him to a local jail, a U.S. marshall would then have to be dispatched to the jail to guard the federal prison until he was transported to a federal facility. I doubt seriously this would transpire. More likely, the officer would get on the phone with PCSO and request a deputy respond to take care of the situation, and of course, we would.

Chicken Little 10-65, take the call and shut the Fuxk Up! Who cares

Not me, couldn't care less....just another one of the hundreds.....

Be safe

Hey in these times I'll take all the boots on the ground we can get!

Quote Originally Posted by fldeputy
    Like I said, we (the SO) will be responding. Even if a VA officer did arrest someone on "assault on a federal officer" charge and transported him to a local jail, a U.S. marshall would then have to be dispatched to the jail to guard the federal prison until he was transported to a federal facility. I doubt seriously this would transpire. More likely, the officer would get on the phone with PCSO and request a deputy respond to take care of the situation, and of course, we would.
    VA police arrest for federal laws under 18 & 38 USC, VA regs, and state laws under the assimilative crimes act. The subject is a prisoner of whatever crime statutes he's being charged with. Most likely being state and local crimes. No US Marshals for guarding on those crimes. Furthermore, if it is a fed crime it is more likley if there is no pact between agencies, the VA officer will stay on the prisoner and transport to court. Locals are (at least at my facility) never needed. We transport to jail just like a local department would on state crimes and there is never an issue or undue burden on locals. Also, I asked for additional units from locals only once, and it was related to a POS that had to, by the nature of the situation, be carried into the cruiser, and there was only 2 of us on. But as it turns out, I wasted their time because we managed after a while anyway. However, it depends on the location of the facility. Some VA departments have exclusive or concurrent jurisdiction whereas a few, ie: Little Rock, have proprietary jurisdiction meaning they cant do shit and pass everything off. They have been a Police force as opposed to guards since 73 and carried firearms for maybe 10 years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12