Sidearms - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sidearms

Re: Sidearms

How would you cross train so that in the case of an all out shoot out your partner was put out of commission, still had ammo left but you don’t? That’s the reason for uniformity and not a hodge-podge of weapons and ammo being used

The professionals understand the need for a standardized type of gun regardless of which model or make the department chooses to have.
    The cowboys want to carry their own toys, (look at my super duper gun, it is bigger and more expensive than yours) that’s the BS you would hear all day long.

If any of you can show me more than 1 or 2 times in teh past, say 10 years, when there was a shoot out that required officers to share ammo, I will give in on this point.

It is so rare, I would rather officers carry guns tehy are most comfortable with. That is more important that planning for the doomsday scenario. If you need more than 37 shots, we are in an all out war.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Dooley
    If any of you can show me more than 1 or 2 times in teh past, say 10 years, when there was a shoot out that required officers to share ammo, I will give in on this point.

It is so rare, I would rather officers carry guns tehy are most comfortable with. That is more important that planning for the doomsday scenario. If you need more than 37 shots, we are in an all out war.
    How about the LA Bank Robbery for one. Sure it didn't happen here but what makes you think it can't?

All it takes is a magazine malfunction, bad batch of ammo, poor maintenance, and I could go on and on. It doesn't take a massive shootout for an Officer to need a magazine from another Officer. I don't want to be the Officer on the receiving end during one of those "one of a million chances situations" and not be able to get ammo from another Officer when I need it.

Deputy Dooley you should change your name to Deputy Dumbarse. All it takes is one time and that is one time too many for some innocent citizen or a fellow officer because you want to be Billy Bad Arse with your bigger and better than your gun attitude.

You forget what is going on around the world and the all the experts are predicting it’s just a matter of time when not if it is going to happen here. We are over due for an all out assault on our very way of life my millions of radical nuts who are being trained as we write and read these words to wipe you and all like you and me off the face of the earth.

We’ve already had a number of Doomsday Scenarios with 9/11/04 being just one of them and we need to be prepared for the next one and hopefully not with clowns like you making the decisions.

And you think I am the dumbarse? 9/11 happened in 2001, not 2004 retard. I know you were still in high school back then, and its hard to remember anything through the pot smoke, but try to keep it together.

Sure, we can all name 1 or 2 times where there was some massive shootout. But how often is an officer involved in a 1 on 1 shootout, in which their familiarity, comfortabilty and accuracy of their duty weapon will make the life or death difference in who walks away. The answer is... almost every week we hear of that.

If an officer is more comfortable or accurate with a different type of weapon, we should encourage them to be able to use it.

Id rather have an officer that can fire a few well-placed shots and get the job done, over an officer who has to shoot so much (or maintains his weapon so poorly) that they have to BORROW ammo from another officer (if there is even another officer on scene).

they have to BORROW ammo from another officer (if there is even another officer on scene).
    If there is someone with you with ammo and they arent also shooting it had better be because they're dead. When it gets that bad you should be retreating to retrieve your RIFLE.

As I recall, the shootouts on Warrington Rd and the one in Century required the transfers of ammo (slid&thrown) to officers....the argument of uniformity has merit, in may not encourage or allow individualism but when the defecation hits the ventilation it is nice that we are all on the same page (One officer charged/approached the Warrington Rd shooter with empty weapon...adrenaline)....no argument from me on 45 vs 40 for stop and knock down but that is another story. All ,stay safe and happy holidays!!!

Id rather have an officer that can fire a few well-placed shots and get the job done, over an officer who has to shoot so much (or maintains his weapon so poorly) that they have to BORROW ammo from another officer (if there is even another officer on scene).
    Well its obvious that you have never been there.

Shooting at a paper target and being an expert shot is a whole lot different then when that target is shooting back and he has more fire power than you. Even the expert marksman on the range may have a problem making those well placed shots when he is hiding behind his car with no chance to look over the hood and actually aim and shoot. When you haven't walked in my shoes don't second guess my actions. Anyone can be a Monday morning quarter back. Can you be sure you will be able to walk the walk when it comes down to it.

I can answer that question because I've been there.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Copper!!!!
    As I recall, the shootouts on Warrington Rd and the one in Century required the transfers of ammo (slid&thrown) to officers.
    There has never been an incident in Escambia County where this was successfully completed. There were attempts and afterthoughts but it has never actually happened. One incident yielded a broken magazine with ammo being strewn on the ground and useless.

Please post any documented cases where magazines where successfully transferred, under fire, from officer to officer. (The Hollywood shootout was mainly AR15 mags, not pistol.)

ps..no offence but my 37 rounds will be used to save myself and you aren't getting them if I'm currently being shot at. Take what you want if I'm down.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast