FOP Negotiation Update

FOP Negotiation Update

Spoke by phone briefly with Dan tonight. They had a meeting recently with Julie. They spoke about the shift bid city situation and apparently Car 1 thought everyone should be allowed to bid equally but they wanted to get with the shift commanders before making a decision.

They also spoke about off duty pay becoming part of our FRS wages. Julie is going to look into it as they are not sure if it can be done legally. Apparently Car 1 then offered an across the board $5 per hour increase in off duty pay, effective October 1st, if the FRS part was dropped. Not sure what that means but anytime they offer something so quickly I myself am a bit suspicious. Especially when every other decision has taken months and months of negotiation and "I'll have to look into it and get back to you".

They also apparently spoke about Lt-s being able to bid for shift by seniority but no decision was made.

My opinion, and mine only is that the $5 an hour would be nice short term, but imagine the long term benefit if off duty pay was part of your retirement package. Again, my opinion only. If you have an opinion either way voice it here or send it to me at Rich@FOP43.org (That email goes directly to me, not the FOP hall and I'm glad to keep you anonymous if you prefer.

Also; we're looking at totally redoing the FOP Hall. We want to be able to rent it out for events and welcome opinions on how we should possibly refurbish the place. Please contact me or Chaplain Bodie D'Andrea.

The Golf tourney to benefit sister Timmie Keyser is going very well. There are still sponsorship, volunteer and foursome opportunities available. Mix 100.7 (Nancy and Chris Morning Show) were good enough to have me on a few weeks ago to plug the tourney and will be having me on again October 14th. Tune in to 97X Fisher and Boy (FM 97.1) Friday morning at 8 as they will also have me on for about an hour).

Stay safe,

Rich B.
    Rich@FOP43.org

Re: FOP Negotiation Update

Hey Rich in reference to off-duty wages being included, I know it can be done. I was recently reading Palm Beach S.O.'s contract which states off duty pay counts towards FRS benefits.

Hey Rich, any response in regards to implementing some type of step plan? As it stands now we got 3% in 07, 0% in 08, and I read Car 2 stated maybe we just might get a 1/4 to 1/2 % in 09, if this is accurate it equates to an annual increase of just over 1% per year and zero step increases over 3 years. How long are we supposed to withstand inflation which is 5.5% just this past year? Has anyone noticed the number of deputies resigning the past few months?

Cookie Monster, thanks for that, I'll pass it on.

Hamburglar, anything that's going to cost money is not gonna happen. The wage freeze is in effect, period. Not what you want to hear but reality for now.

Rich

http://www.pbcpba.org/PDF/PBSO%20LE%202006-2009.pdf

I didn't see anything about off duty counting towards FRS. Did I miss it? Looked under Chapter 24.

[img]rabbit_pancake-744050.jpg[/img]

Rich, check out article 24, section 2 which states if client fees collected are insufficient to cover member pay, taxes, and PENSION contributions then PBSO may raise client fees to cover the costs. Don't see why they would be paying pension contributions on detail pay if it didn't count towards retirement benefits. I also asked on PBSO board if detail pay counted towards FRS and was advised they did.

And while we are on the subject of detail pay, I also liked how PBSO charges an extra $15 an hour on holidays. Don't think it is unreasonable to charge extra if someone wants a deputy on Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc... Could you bring this up as well