New Contract Cola's - Page 12
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

High gas prices force cops to walk the beat more

With gasoline climbing toward $4 plus a gallon, police officers around the country are losing the right to take their patrol cars home and are being forced to double up in cruisers and walk the beat more.

The gas crunch could also put an end to the time-honored way cops leave their engines running when they get out to investigate something.

Some police chiefs think the moneysaving measures are not all bad, and might actually help them do a better job. But they worry about the loss of take-home cars, saying the sight of a cruiser parked in a driveway or out in front of a home deters neighborhood crime.

In Newberry, population 10,000, Chief Jackie Swindler is telling his officers to turn off the ignition whenever they are stopped for more than a minute or so, and to get out and walk around more.

"It's not a rolling office that you stay in all day," Swindler said. "You still need to get out and interact with the public."

Jonathan Taylor, a rookie officer in Newberry, said walking the beat in the region's oppressive summer heat may be a drag, but he added: "We're police officers. It's not supposed to be a comfortable job. If getting out and walking helps me do the best job I can, I'm all for it."

In Grainger County, Tenn., Sheriff James Harville planned for gas prices of $2.22 a gallon when he drew up his budget last year. He has since redrawn the patrol map for the two officers who work each shift, splitting his county in half. He now puts one officer in each half and makes them responsible for all calls in their area.

"That way, unless it's just a life-threatening call, I don't have officers just crisscrossing the county," said Harville, who has asked local officials for an extra $30,000 to keep patrol cars running in the county of 22,000 in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains.

When shifts overlap in Apple Valley, Minn., officers pair up and supervisors send those cruisers to domestic disputes, burglar alarms and other calls that would usually require two officers to respond separately, said Capt. Jon Rechtzigel. Officers also have been asked to turn off their engines whenever possible.

"Years ago, you used to pull in a back lot to investigate something and keep your car running," Rechtzigel said. "You just can't afford to do that anymore."

In the South Carolina town of Elgin, Police Chief Harold Brown delayed hiring a sixth officer so he could use the money for gas. "I guess you could say rising gas prices have cost me a man," said Brown, who found enough money in his budget to bring the new officer on board a few weeks ago.

The Georgia State Patrol has asked troopers to reduce the amount of time spent driving by 25 percent.

In Evansville, Ind., some officers will lose their take-home cars and others will have to pay more for the privilege. Starting Friday, those living within city limits will pay $25 every two weeks and those in the surrounding county will pay $35. Both groups previously paid $10. Eleven workers living outside the county will no longer get take-home police cars.

Proposals to restrict the use of take-home police cars also are on the table in Camden, Del., Avon Park, Fla., and Hagerstown, Md.

"I don't think we should be taking our city cruisers outside of our city," said Hagerstown City Councilwoman Kelly S. Cromer. "With the price of gas right now, I just really think that's a waste."

In Allegany County, Md., Sheriff David Goad told elected officials seeking to limit his department's use of take-home vehicles that "it's a proven fact" that the sight of a patrol car on the road or in a driveway deters crime.

As the fiscal year comes to an end, chiefs and sheriffs are trying to predict how high gas prices will go and craft budgets that won't be blown.

"It's a shot in the dark," Swindler said. "You just have to take your best guess."

Swindler, who joined the force as a patrol officer in 1975 — back when "only people with rank had a car" — said the return to old-fashioned police work could be a good thing in some ways, by bringing officers in closer contact with the public.

The chief is doing his part by riding the department's Segway electric scooter during festivals and other events, and is looking to buy smaller, lighter cruisers.

Newberry officers don't seem to mind. Sgt. Andy Rowe said he has heard no complaints from the officers he oversees as a shift supervisor and doesn't mind walking a little himself.

"I enjoy getting out and interacting with everybody," Rowe said.

South Florida Sun-Sentinel Forum Comments.

These are the comments posted on this subject by the public. See the below link.

http://www.topix.net/forum/source/so...UIIMTI3EENQU4T

Here are but a few of the comments made by our neighbors. You can be assured these comments are being expressed to our county commissioners.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

THIS NEEDS TO STOP. THE FIRE DEPARTMENT DOESNT DO THIS B.S. SO WHY THE POLICE ?

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    I drive by a palm beach sheriff's cruiser everyday on my way to work, by E. Commercial Blvd - in Ft. Laud.

I also appreciate having 2 local cruisers parked pretty much 24/7 within 4 houses of mine in coral springs.

Here's a solution - raise the contribution to $150mth to cover gas if living in county - they'll still take the free car. Maintenance and gas savings are more then $150/mth. And revoke or charge more for officers living out of county.

+++++++++++++++++++++

This is just another example of government ripping off the public.

End all pensions and save billions of dollars.

Make all workers with government workers pay $0.75 per mile driven. This is what it costs to own a car.

Are the workers getting a 1099 tax form on this benefit? If not they are ripping off the taxpayers by not paying federal income taxes on the personal benefits.

Government is just killing the taxpayers.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

$50 Contribution...Thats rich!

Whats that buy a 1/2 tank of gas?
    It's no wonder they drive like gas is free, for them...IT IS!

Must be nice to have a free gas guzzling Crown Vic that you can floor from light to light while everyone else is paying for it...And don't tell me the cops don't...I see it everyday during my 120 commute of which just little old me picks up the entire tab...

This is a typical waste of the taxpayers money...No wonder I have to pay $10k in property taxes...I'm paying for someone else's car!

The best part was the county showing all the budget cuts to every program under the sun, but their pay and crap like this was left untouched...They all need to be replaced!

I agree it is good to keep police cars in the community or where officers live it would deter crime.

BUT..the reality is the cars are probley used for personal use. I have seen police in there off duty cloths, with there wifes, or kids in the cars, and the public should NOT have to pay for that.

One of my condo owner neighbors is a PBSO deputy. His cruiser is always parked here (does he ever go to work???) but having it on site has never deterred any crimes and, as far as I know, the guy has never pitched in to try to deal with our crime problem.

Like others have beens saying, a lot fewer county employees should be getting a free car benefit and the ones that do should be 1099'ed for it.

And they are probably screaming for more money, raises and perks. Give an inch they take a mile.

Think these people appreciate even having a job right now? No they probably feel entitled.

I think it makes sense for police officers to have take home cars if they live in the county. If they live outside the county - no take home car. No take home cars for other county workers. And police officers should pay more for gas.

Park em

i would have the police reports run for every community a deputy lives in and see if the crime rates are down before the statement should be made about parked cars deterring crime. i know in my neighborhood that isn't the case as last week we had 21 cars broken into in a 1/4 radius.

as far as the cars, let these people have the cars but there should either be a charge of 250-300 a month minimum as that would be the cost of filling up the car for the month for a commute or there should be no free gas at all. there are plenty of other employees of government who do not receive cars and gas allowances and yet they show up for work each day. how fair is that? it is not as if the pbso sheriffs are underpaid compared to other county or government workers who do not receive this perk.

one less comment, what is going to happen if pbso takes over the school board police? will all those employees get free cars and gas as well?

it is time to rethink this policy so that cutbacks can be made. i'm sure these police officers realize that every entity has to cut back, they can't think that they will be immune from cutbacks forever.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I agree that having the "extra" cars on the road and in neighborhoods is a deterrent to criminals. How about having the Deputies pay a more reasonable amount for their use? Maybe $150.00 a month. I put $75.00 a week in mine to drive around. That would still be a bargain for them and the cars would still be on the streets.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When the deputy stops for a crime or accident will their WIFE or CHILD still remain in the vehicle while the deputy investigates? They are carting their FAMILY around in these police vehicles!

Deputies are also reducing their personal insurance on their OWN cars because they now put less mileage on their PERSONAL vehicles because they are driving a department vehicle.

Many of the cars are UNMARKED. How does that prevent crime?

As far as transferring equipment from personal car to police car. The working public does it every day. Many times they have a cart to carry their crap. Again, acting like babies. They can't transfer their possessions. Too much work.

There are police vehicles from Riviera Beach, Miami Beach, West Palm Beach in communities far from their city's departments. Fire Rescue vehicles from Broward County. Every county is abusing this policy.

As for fire. It is ridiculous to take fire vehicles for grocery shopping. And since when does it take TWO fire rescue guys to buy groceries?

Take home cars is a policy that should be ABOLISHED. Re-negotiate contracts and benefits. Take action. This abuse needs to stop. It is bleeding the coffers of public funds and is being EXPLOITED,

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I did an addition on a Boca cops house a fews years back and he kept bragging about how all the work was costing him basically nothing. He said he was able to sell thier second vehicle (no ins.costs,no payments,no fuel or maintenance costs) because he had a take home car he could drive on the taxpayers dime.

Give them all bicycles. A parked Patrol car does not deter crime.

Let their wives work and then they have $70,000 per year plus a car. Most taxpayers make ends meet on less and no free car.

How can you ask taxpayers who make less money to support cars of cops or firemen who make 3 times as much as the taxpayer makes.

Pensions alone are worth $5 million dollars. The taxpayers pay wealthy healthy 45 years olds not to work $7,000 per month.

"Sheriff Ric Bradshaw said having police cars dispersed in neighborhoods on nights and weekends improves public safety."

Please tell me how the cop cars parked in neighbors' garages help to deter crime.

If the Sherrff deputy live in Palm Beach County yes having the car in a neighborhood is good but we should not be paying and giving them a car to take home to Indian river and other counties Another misuse is they use them and our tax dollars for personal trips with the kids to ball games and shopping This is where the countycan get the money it needs to help public transportation (Tri_rail etc)

Its strange that the police and fire people up North do the same job but they don't have take home cars. and the taxpayers aren't replace their car every two years and in most towns up north they need to live in the city (oh no that means they pay the taxes to pay for them as well)

Well you make more then double or triple of me I wish i took home 90,000+ a year plus a car

I can bearly make it without renting out a bedroom and takeing the train to work to save money but now the counties want to cut money to transportation (tri rail busses etc) yet you all feel you need a car to drive home in another county and use it for non police business

Ok Sheriff we understand the deputies but what about the civilians.....they have no powers...director of budget, purchasing, who else...show us the list...we are paying for them.

Such a load of garbage. I have seen these off duty cops drive past stranded motorist so often it makes me sick. I've even seen them drive past accidents without even slowing down. Not too mention dropping their kids off as school. They are taking advantage of the public because they can. Cops are a big part of many of todays problems. I'm starting to rank them with politicians.

I am certain any study conducted by an uninterested, unbiased, outside agency/company, would show that the little benefit, if any, take home cars provide does NOT justify the huge expense. These agencies are totally self-serving and perpetuate the myth the take home cars benefit the public. Over 100 code enforcement employees with take home cars? Thats BS. If you work in traffic engineering or public utilities and are on a rotation for after hours call out, fine, take home a vehicle then. The rest is a waste, not only in Palm Beach County, but in the majority of the country, where this practice has become the norm, especially police departments. Here in Hollywood, I see HPD cars parked at business and at Temples, not during hours of operation, but overnight, instead of being parked in the cops driveway. What kind of deal is going on in these places?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You seem to think we have a problem with police officers. You are mistaken. Our problem is with officers that ABUSE the system. Living in Broward County and working in Palm Beach County is a long commute. The benefit of having police cruisers parked in communities far exceed those of not having them. But the cruisers should stay within the jurisdiction of the issuing department. Otherwise, the taxpayers for the issuing county have a legitimate complaint.

My father was an Illinois State Trooper for 25 years. He had a car issued to him that he took home every night. But he was posted into a rural area and only went to the station post when necessary. He was required to keep the car within the jurisdiction of the State of Illinois unless in pursuit of a felony suspect. The car was also to only be used on official business.

The South Florida Police departments have gotten out of control. I have witnessed this many times. But I try not to let the indiscretion of the few blur my opinion of them all.

However, you must know that only some police run toward the gunfire. I have seen (with my own eyes) others wait until the smoke has cleared.

FYI. I left the force when I realized that the law has become the lawless.

I still pull over and help in accidents and stranded motorists, and I still help to protect those who can not protect themselves against the evil in this world. I don't need a badge and gun to do that, well not the badge anyway.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm not bashing LEO's.

Just the vehicle arrangement.

Explain to me how an off duty officer, driving with his kids to Walmart in a marked police car is a crime deterrent ?

Or better yet.. an unmarked police car ?

The only reason I would even bring this up is because the Sheriff is always saying there's no way for him to trim the budget.

Well, there are ways.

He just doesn't want to do them.

Screw the ungreatful public

Well, since so much of the public seems to be against us having take home vehicles, here are a couple things I plan on doing if I lose my benifit.

- I will never stop to help a 10-60 motorist.
    - I will not enter residential areas. Watch how crime increases when there are no take home vehicles in their neighborhood.

100% Reactive Patrol
    0% Proactive Patrol

From the public comments in the paper, I’m convinced society either does not have a brain or really has been lucky enough to have never been victimized. They’re being falsely led around by the media and the government like a flock of lost sheep. It’s already starting with the economy getting so tight and people are starting to take matters into their own hands – more robberies, thefts, etc. Let’s follow all the posters suggestions and count how fast mayhem hit’s! Just for fun, I’d keep the gas deduction at its current price and park my G&W for use only directly to work and directly home – that’s it! Do these posters ask themselves, “What would happen if I (or inset some other family member – spouse, child, grandparent) really need the police and there were none?” Let’s just see then how over overrated we really are. Bah.

Police Officers Pay to Drive Patrol Cars Home

Everyone is feeling the pain of those high gas prices. Now, the prices are trickling down to the men and woman of our law enforcement. The prices forcing them to pay-up to protect.

They protect our streets and save our lives. Now, they are feeling the pinch not just at home, but at work. Stuart Police Sgt. Marty Jacobson says, "I don't think anybody is really happy with it, but it's a sign of the times."

A sign reading $4.07 a gallon. Starting next week, Stuart Police officers who live outside the city will fork over the dough, "If you live in the city you won't be paying anything, but if you live outside the city there is a ratio that starts from 5 miles out you will be contributing to the cost of gasoline."

Because the price of everything is going up, Officers now have to pay anywhere from $10 to $25 a week to have a take-home vehicle. St. Lucie Deputies already do it and the Martin County Sheriff's office is considering the change.

Why? The answer is the savings. For example, Martin County Sheriff's office could save in upwards of $97,000 a year.

Port St. Lucie and Fort Pierce Police Departments haven't gone to those measures just yet, but Fort Pierce Deputy Chief Jim Nygaard is watching the numbers and waiting, "We're looking at some options, such as more inexpensive vehicles that get better gas mileage, were looking at some initiatives to lower fuel costs."

But, all departments say just handing the nozzle to the officers isn't enough. That's why many are making other additional changes like no car idling, buying hybrids and, "We're increasing foot patrols, were increasing some bicycle patrols, were increasing our officers in some problematic areas, instead of just doing random patrols."

Re: Police Officers Pay to Drive Patrol Cars Home

Quote Originally Posted by Allison Bybee

That's why many are making other additional changes like no car idling, buying hybrids and, "We're increasing foot patrols, were increasing some bicycle patrols, were increasing our officers in some problematic areas, instead of just doing random patrols."
    foot patrols and no vehicle idling... obviously policies created by someone that hasnt worn a vest in decades... I wonder how that will work when their officers start getting heat stroke in mid summer with close to 100 degree weather

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112