ZERO IS GONE

Thread: ZERO IS GONE

ZERO IS GONE

It is about time! Now that zero is gone, our wantabee's can calm down...

Re: ZERO IS GONE

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO IS GONE
    It is about time! Now that zero is gone, our wantabee's can calm down...
    You mean officially or just that you are supposed to use some common sense now like they said months ago?

Officially

It is gone. Now we can go back to the judge making a choice.... No more arrest by the probation officer.

Great Post

Now they need to take the handcuff's away from the wantabee's like that Phil guy.

Re: Officially

Quote Originally Posted by Officially
    It is gone. Now we can go back to the judge making a choice.... No more arrest by the probation officer.
    No more PC now basically you are saying except in very rare circumstances? Is this due to Broward?

I don't know where this info is coming from. 'Zero' went to 'common sense a long time agao, except under certain circumstances (violent offense/ offender, etc). Get your facts straight before you start posting misinformation.

ZERO T

Sorry, did not get the memo on "common sense" being used? I do know we all were instructing "ALL" of the offenders on the zero at intake! Now, it is gone. Now we can use common sense....

Those specific Broward offices were probably told no more taking into custody without a warrant at the office. I don't think anything changed for the rest of the state.

Re: ZERO T

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO T
    Sorry, did not get the memo on "common sense" being used? I do know we all were instructing "ALL" of the offenders on the zero at intake! Now, it is gone. Now we can use common sense....
    Yes the memo on using some common sense. Where you see if a technical was willfull or not. The posting they put out so the want to bees would stop violating someone for missing an appt time when their car had broken down. Look in your stack of papers it is in there. There is also another one that explains you are a probation officer and part counselor and your job is not just to violate everyone for any little thing.

Re: ZERO T

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by ZERO T
    Yes the memo on using some common sense. Where you see if a technical was willfull or not. The posting they put out so the want to bees would stop violating someone for missing an appt time when their car had broken down. Look in your stack of papers it is in there. There is also another one that explains you are a probation officer and part counselor and your job is not just to violate everyone for any little thing.
    But it wasn't just "wannabees".

I have seen supervisors, panicking about their jobs, instructing CPOs to violate someone who reported in a day late, just because the person was "instructed" to report in on a certain day (when orders did not require that the person report in on a certain day).

What there seems to be is a lack of knowledge and information sharing about what the Appellate Courts have said on a number of VOP-related issues. We're not supposed to be lawyers or judges, but there are instances when officers (often egged on by supervisors) complete violation reports for situations which appellate courts have ruled REPEATEDLY is not a violation.

Most of these things have to do with completing special conditions. The courts have ruled that unless the Judge has ordered a timeframe within which a special condition is to be completed, the offender has until the end of the supervision period to complete that requirement. This includes treatment conditions; unless the court requires that the offender enter into, and successfully complete treatment on the first attempt, the offender's treatment failure is not necessarily a violation. This is also true with money and CS hours; unless minimum payments per month were ordered, or a specific timeframe given for the completion of CS hours, the offender has until the end of supervision to complete these conditions.