Delray Beach PD vs. PBSO?

Delray Beach PD vs. PBSO?

I'm thinking of applying to either PBSO or Delray Beach PD (or both)...can any sworn personnel advise the pro's/con's of each agency (comparitively speaking) I would be applying as an out-of state certified officer with signifigant experience to bring to the table, however I am unsure of which direction to head in, regarding these two agencies...I have heard good things about both...I'm kind of torn...I am interested in working a high-crime area for now, and I know both agencies have a nice mix of "bad" and "good" areas...my only fear would be getting stuck in a "slow" area, and not being able to get out... any info would be appreciated...

Former Delray Officer

I enjoyed my years at Delray. Someone will likely jump on here and say bad things but I found the mixture a great place to work. Narcotics area to play in, multi million dollar homes on the beach, thriving downtown area, I-95 running through town, multiple golf course communities out on the west end of town. Truly a unique mixture of lifestyles packed into roughly 30 square miles.

I never worked for PBSO but had friends that do and did work there. Don't have anything negative to say about the SO either.

You have been in law enforcement, you know there will be pros and cons to both. You know there are happy and burned out officers in both. It really comes down to which size agency you prefer.

I liked Delray.

Good luck.

delray reply

Thank you for that reply...one of the reasons I like Delray is the diversity...you can get dirty out west, and also hang out near the beach and Atlantic Ave. ...do you know off hand what the patrol shift schedule is? I am looking for 3-12's or 4 -10's just because I am coming from an agency with 5 weeks annual vacation...I want to at least compensate for some of that free time...When you were there, did you find it to be a progressive agency? (tactics, equipment, technology etc.) thanks again for the reply...

Road Patrol's shift is 3/2/2/3 with every other weekend off.

Example would be you work Monday and Tuesday. You will have off Wednesday and Thursday. Then you will work Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. However the following week you will be off Monday and Tuesday. You will work Wednesday and Thursday but then you have the weekend, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off.

Sorry for delayed post

Sorry for the delayed post.

During my time in they were just entering into a technology boom. The agency was progressive with good leadership. Morale was normal for an agency with ups and downs.

Overall the officers were aggressive yet well respected by the community.

It had its moments but overall I loved my time there and the city has gone through major upgrades since I left.

I do know the agency has a different Chief when I was there so you may have to check with some current guys to see how it may have changed.

I am sure many will have very little kind things to say.

Brian