Why FHP Needs Unmarked Cars - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Not all maybe 10 per troop. We need to keep the Black & Tan for the majority. Oh, and make them Mustangs.

unmarked cars

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    The unmarked cars are needed to occupy a vacant parking space at the Comm Center.
    Hey all the S/C have the parking lots under control. What a waste of manpower and vehicles.

I work down in Palm Beach County and we have over 20 unmarked cars for aggressive driving assigned to the interstate and the turnpike. I know a lot of cities are doing the same. I work all the wrecks I roll up on regardless of where they are in the county. OCSO needs to step to the plate and do the same. I really feel for you FHP guys and girls. Stay safe; I know it’s hard since FHP would rather pay for a funeral than buying you better equipment. All I can say is I'm here for you.
    I dunno about you guys in Palm Beach, but in Orange we go 10-8 with calls holding and 10-7 with calls holding. We dont have time to work wrecks. And imagine training 1400 deputies on how to work a wreck.

As soon as FHP comes out and works my Armed Robberies and Burglaries, we'll start working wrecks

Everyone has their job, and mine is not crash reports.

are you serious

Ok are you serious you are a deputy and you don't know how to work a wreck? Dude, figure out who is at fault measure your distance from Point of impact to curb and so on, do your diagram. Insert at fault driver as driver one on the form. Second vehicle is vehicle is vehicle. number 2. It's really not that hard I trained a 16 yr old Explorer to do the whole investigation in one shift. I love it when people will 10-23 for FHP for over an hour. Just do the dam short form or a drivers exchange. 30 min. you can take it 10-8. I use it to make my agency look better to the tax payers of Pinellas. They will think better of the S. O. office because I worked the crash and didn't make them wait. About two weeks ago I worked a signal four. I arrested the at fault driver for dwlsr. Four days later he calls my Sergeant. He tells him that I arrested him and he was wrong for driving, he goes on to tell him how much he appreciated the way he was treated. He told the Sgt. that he knew I didn't have to work the wreck, but that I saved him time by working because he got to jail before shift change and was able to bond out quickly. I usually tell the victims that FHP is supposed to work the crash, however that FHP is very short Troopers and that I will work the wreck even though by Law I do not have to. Trust me they really appreciate that when it's 92 degrees outside. So figure it out and learn to help each other out. If it is a major wreck FHP will expedite and get there quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous

I work down in Palm Beach County and we have over 20 unmarked cars for aggressive driving assigned to the interstate and the turnpike. I know a lot of cities are doing the same. I work all the wrecks I roll up on regardless of where they are in the county. OCSO needs to step to the plate and do the same. I really feel for you FHP guys and girls. Stay safe; I know it’s hard since FHP would rather pay for a funeral than buying you better equipment. All I can say is I'm here for you.
    I dunno about you guys in Palm Beach, but in Orange we go 10-8 with calls holding and 10-7 with calls holding. We dont have time to work wrecks. And imagine training 1400 deputies on how to work a wreck.

As soon as FHP comes out and works my Armed Robberies and Burglaries, we'll start working wrecks

Everyone has their job, and mine is not crash reports.
    We do go out with calls holding. However, the Sheriff can't refuse to take a call and it should be that way for traffic as well. In our contract cities we have to work crashes and we work all crashes in the unincorporated areas. I know FHP's responsibility is state roads and with all the interstates in Orange County that should be their responsibility. If I were FHP I would refuse to take any crimes on the interstate and make the SO come out and work them. Per state constitution the Sheriff can't refuse to a call that is criminal in nature. Nothing outlines their responsibility on crashes it's very vague. FHP can refuse crimes, but not traffic. I'm not being rude, but FHP needs to focus on the interstates, not the local roads.

*I* know how to work wrecks, cause i wasnt always an Orange deputy. But imagine you'd been on the road for x amount of years, and *never* worked a wreck. You'd need to be trained.

And FHP here has troopers assigned to the interstate and the turnpike, in ADDITION to the troopers assigned to surface streets. And yes, WE work all the crimes on the interstate. They work the wrecks.

And we dont hold crash scenes for FHP, nor do we wait for them. If the road is clear, we go 10-8. FD gets the crash calls, we dont even get them on our screens unless FD requests additional traffic control, or there is some form of disturbance stemming from the wreck.

FHP is the traffic police. We are the everything else police. Why should we make a victim of a crime wait longer so someone who was in a crash has to wait less?

We dont refuse the call, we simply turn it over to the proper agency. Just like when somthing happens in the city - we turn it over to the city.

So once again, I'll write crash reports when FHP writes burglaries/thefts/robberies/murders/batteries/everything else reports.

A deputy working a crash is one less deputy available to respond to an actual crime.

Opps, i hit submit too quickly.

FHP has a very important job, and yes, they are understaffed and under paid. Welcome to the club! FHP's job is to enforce traffic law and write crash reports. Just like DOT's job is to enforce commercial vehicle regulations, and FWC's job is to game regulations. Dept of Agriculture issues licenses to Security personel.

Every agency has a job, and no job is more important than the other, but just cause one has the legal authority to do anothers job, doesnt mean they should.

I dont have scales to weight a semi, and I dont know how to issue a security license. I have no idea how to find out if someone has the correct fishing license. I dont carry crash reports (Althought I do have some drivers exchanges that I give out for minor damage if the people dont want to wait and I happen to roll up on the crash). Its all the same.

once again, I'll write crash reports when FHP writes burglaries/thefts/robberies/murders/batteries/everything else reports.

A deputy working a crash is one less deputy available to respond to an actual crime.

I am a trooper (not in Orlando) and I will work anything I come in contact with. I have stopped cars with physical domestic inside on local roads , worked it never calling for the sheriff's ofc. I have also taken a battery from the S.O. in a residential area. So no we are not all traffic and nothing else. Luckily where I work i have time to fit in a domestic or 2 between signal 4's. We are not all scared to work " real crimes".

Be safe dude , Jimmy!

Jimmy,

Your the exeption to the rule! Round here we get called if people in a crash start yelling at each other.

YEAH I CAN IMAGINE ,I'VE HEARD TROOPERS DO SILLY STUFF LIKE CALL FOR THE S.O. OR P.D. IF THEY FIND SOMETHING THAT IS OUTSIDE OF 316 , 322 , 320 (STATUTES OF COURSE) . ........AND THATS WHERE WE GET SUCH A BAD REPUTATION.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast