We are not the only ones upset at the PBA - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: pba

Quote Originally Posted by noone important
    I have been here a long time and experienced the FOP leadership, the PBA leadership and now on the brink of going to the IUPA. For what it's worth they are all the same to me. PBA is being dumped here, FOP being dumped there, IUPA (you get the picture). The fact is these organizations are about the money they collect and what little they have to spend to ensure their financial viability. They need new buildings (why does the PBA need a new bldg), attend lavish conferences, or just go play (how much does the PBA pay for all of their Exec board members to attend the police olympics to party). Men and women have made a generous living being board members of the organization, while lavishly living off our earnings (dues). In the FOP we knew who they were and in the PBA we know who they are (they mostly looked out for themselves and their precious position-off the road). The fact is (and anyone from the IUPA can argue) the IUPA will do the same, only the people that will be partying on our dime look like mobsters (if you saw the video on the IUPA conference-also the comments from the bosses were less than impressive when asked about how donated money was being spent and used-sounds like a real scam). It is not my intention to sway anyone, just my opinion, but I am definitely supporting the PBA. Granted there have been many instances where I have been very dissapointed with the PBA efforts, but they have also done a lot of good. Our pay and benefits are pretty comparable to all other dept's (definitely looking for a good contract), our working conditions can be imporved and I feel they will, and most importantly the leadership momentum is changing in the PBA. I must admit that since the PBA has been representing BSO, I truely did not understand how the upper echelon in the PBA worked, but since this debate I think all of us realized what it,s going to take to change the makeup of the PBA. That change is occurring with the likes of Bob Lahiff and others getting involved. Bob has become a leader in the organization already and is calling for change. Now it will not happen over night, but I like the forecast as the districts are electing more new reps that want to be involved. This is what we need, people like Bob who will lead that organization. I know the representatives, trying to convince you the IUPA is the way, are good people that believe this is the proper choice. The problem is I do not know them well as I have only heard a few names (good people), but sometimes I get the feeling that they have already been promised cushy positions. There is just too much unknown with the IUPA. What I do know is that we are going to hand over 1 milliion a year to who??????????. I would rather keep our money in Broward not in a organization that spans the country. Maybe they will start a Broward Chapter, but at least I know the PBA will remain here. In my opinion the PBA needs major change, I see it happening, but I believe the new PBA rep's must demand immediate resignation from Brickman and Hanrahan. This will be an immediate indication that the PBA is taking BSO seriously. Sometimes the man is not bigger than the organization, so these two should step forward and resign for the good of the organization. I do agree with some that Brickman is a valuable commodity in some arena's especially in Tallahassee. If he is that valuable and cares, I am sure that he will remain a MEMBER (not board member) of the PBA and help whenever needed. Now back to the PBA, with the new membership and leadership being elected it will not take long for BSO to take over the reins of the PBA. As the largest contributor to the PBA, we should have the majority leadership. With new leadership we can hire and fire attorney's, implement rules that everyone will respect and create a democracy not a dictatorship. I say stick with the PBA and our newly elected members, they will demand change that will benefit us all. I for one claim stupidity for not demanding change earlier, but we are now in the midst of great change at the PBA. To me the PBA is much more involved in state politics (which benefit us) and they appear to have many more members as well as reserves. For what it's worth I commend everyone involved in the PBA/IUPA debate as it is bringing a change to BSO. From someone who is not important.

I have to agree with this post. I have said in the past, should we not try to fix what we have instead of abandoning the entire thing? I have been accused of being somebody that I am not on other threads. Just like the above writer is accused of being a PBA consultant or what ever. The above writer posted a logical reason of why we should consider staying with the PBA. They presented it in a respectable manner and even gave credit to the IUPA supporters for brining to the forefront problems within the PBA. After all, is that not the driving force behind bringing in the IUPA to begin with? However, it does seem that if a well presented argument, logically presented is written on any post, it is met with sarcasms and accusation of being a PBA consultant. I certainly hope these people ridiculing others are not and will not be PBA/IUPA reps now or in the future. There is something to say about being passionate for your cause but there is also something to be said about being professional in your pursuit.

I do have concerns about where our dues money will be going as well. As I have brought up on previous posts, there is a lot of money involved here. If there are any issues with the funds (not to say that there are not) would it not be easier to deal with it on a local level? The IUPA has said that they will hire the 2 top attorneys that the PBA currently has if we vote for them. Why could the PBA not do the same? Hire the top contract attorney to negotiate for the PBA. I am still having a hard time seeing as to where we will be at an advantage by going to a national union. We have less control over our money and we may not always agree with their political action committees. What recourse would we have if we don’t agree on how the IUPA utilizes our funds on the National Level?

Dude that has posted on every Union related thread by a PBA consultant if you believe one word of it I feel very sorry for you. VOTE IUPA its our only hope!!!!

So you are concerned where your dues money goes on the national level? Well aren't you concerned where it goes on a state level with the PBA? Listen it was I.U.P.A.'s nat'l money that has paid for their advertising campain, opening of an office, etc.. They have no membership in Broward County as of this time. Wake up brother, that's what is so nice about a real union, they have the resources to fight the big fights because they can draw from the nat'l funds. But those like yourself can sit back and keep wondering, and while you're at it, wonder why conditions are the same and why you only get a 3% raise. Open your eyes brother man, vote I.U.P.A.

If you are so concerned about your dues money, then why are you not asking the PBA why as of November 11th 2006 when they filed papers withthe State of Florida, they had on $90,000 in liabilities on the books. Thats right, only $90,000

IUPA spends their money on the members not on each other! Holding these yearly educational conferences only seems like smart business. Isn’t membership education on labor related issues important?. It’s time for a real union VOTE IUPA!

I think we need a union that respects its members, so we can finally return that respect to our union. Right now we can’t even trust the PBA let alone respect them. VOTE IUPA!

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    I think we need a union that respects its members, so we can finally return that respect to our union. Right now we can’t even trust the PBA let alone respect them. VOTE IUPA!
    Your right! You have just gained another vote for IUPA. Like it said on my last IUPA mailer it’s time for a fresh start. It’s a shame, but we can’t trust the PBA to do the right thing a more.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234