Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The question is, is it true? If so, all of us police officers, black, white, or whatever, will fall further and further behind economically salary wise. We will suffer equally. On the other hand, if what was written is simply the racist ramblings of a KKK member then don't worry - the city will steadily increase your pay to keep you equal with other area departments. So far how is it working out pay wise? When you can't attack the message, attack the messenger; I guess that what you have done with your KKK remark. All of us know how most blacks feel about the police. Ironically, if you are black you will suffer financially with the rest of us. In closing, I hope that I'm as wrong as can be and that our salaries keep pace with other departments. Trust me, I want to be wrong about this. Time will tell.
Unfortunately you are not wrong and everyone knows it. Sometimes (often times) I think that we are our own worst enemies. I plan on moving to an area (not Broward) where the police are respected and getting a job there. Why should I work for less money and have my children grow up in a ghetto influenced culture. The truth is departments across the country are trying real hard to hire black officers. Everyone knows it, so why should I continue to work for a department wherein the pay is going to continue to decline. I want my future children to be raised with a can do attitude, not a victim attitude. I can't say one way or the other what the previous poster's attitudes are about blacks. Probably not that great, who knows. What I do know is he or she is right about the average black attitude about our profession. Everyone has to do what is best for themselves. I don't believe that staying here is best for my (or family) long term situation.