Puzzle me this..

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain

Question Puzzle me this..

So I finally received the PD Staffing roster, and I see we have lotsa Detectives.. maybe some of you can help me solve the following:

Puzzle 1 expanding headcount when we can NOT fulfill current Staffing needs...

1. We currently have 21 open positions at PD. 17 Sworn and 4 unsworn. We really have 8 additonal vacancies as these are the cadets in school and not yet patrolling. Not sure how long Field training is but clearly there are months before these new officers will be able to provide relief. So why are we adding positions when we know damn well we cannot fill the gaping holes we have now?

Attachment 287

2. In reviewing the SLAs for the upcoming budget, I find that PD is requesting and additonal 11.5 FTEs. for FY 19
    - 1 Application System Administrator
    - 4 Officers for West Villages
    - 4 Officers for Traffic Unit
    - 2 911 Operators
    -.5 Victim Advocate

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FY 19 PD SLAs.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	288

Can someone help me understand why we are adding headcount when we cant manage to fill the slots we have now? Further, can anyone tell me the last time PD had full staffing?
    I keep trying to reconcile it back to the PD OT and how this layers in.. do we want to have all that excess monies in the budget so that we can payout OT.. something is fishy here and I cannot seem to figure it out.

Puzzle 2 is the shopping frenzy of Vehicles..

We currently have 103 Approved positions yet we have purchased 119 vehicles in 2015 2016 2017 and 2018 to the tune of $2.9 million. FY 19 we are requesting another 14 vehicles to the tune of $1.3 million. How are we wearing out these cars so quickly? I usually get 5 or 6 years before I need to replace mine and all I do is change the oil. At the is risk of a bad assumption, Fleet is maintaining the PD vehicles on a scheduled basis right? So how it is we have to replace em so quickly? (I know we left yall in the Crown Vic for way too long but criminey.. these SUV boyz toyz cant take the punishment of driving around town?
    Last edited by Stephanie Gibson; 06-02-2018 at 02:48 PM. Reason: can s/b cannot