Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
chipdeblock,

I'm all about free speech and having liberal rights, but this FHP forum is a cesspool of name calling, personal vendetta attacks, name calling, repetitive harassment, etc. Much of it borders hate speech.

Just because the posters do not agree with an arrest someone makes or the way someone supervises, they have no right to publicly ridicule them on an on-going continual basis non-stop, in a perpetually retrieval and name indexed (Internet search engine) format.

The TOS are essentially never enforced or interpreted so loosely that posters are permitted to continue with egregious conduct.

The actions of the anonymous posters cause just as much harm to the careers of those they name and rant about, as the things which they complain about in their posts.

There is no recourse from this Gomorrah. How could you expect any law enforcement agency to actually take anything you say seriously?
I don't know if you know who I am, but you're definitely talking to the right guy. I am one of the two original co-founders of this site (back in 2002) and I retired in 2013 after 30 years law enforcement experience at the Tampa Police Department. After reading your accusation that the TOS (actually it's TOU) are never enforced, I take exception to that statement. We have over 500 agency message boards online with a ton of content. As such, moderation is a team effort between our moderators and our users. If you report a violation, I am actually copied on the email and I personally look into it unless Mod 1 or another moderator beat me to it. Mod 1 and I make sure the Terms of Use are uniformly applied to the message boards. But, then again, if you're not reporting the violations then we may not be aware of them. If users are talking about command staff, public figures or the like then they are legally required to be more exposed to scrutiny. If your a LEO and wearing your feelings on your sleeve, you are in the wrong profession. Our system of moderation has even been featured in The Washington Post, so I'd like to think we know what we're doing and that we're one of the best at doing it.