Quote Originally Posted by LEO411
Quote Originally Posted by I Wear The Hat
If you look at the state police/highway patrol forums here, you will find that MOST of them have comments similar to yours here, but they are indicative of the respective state they are in (i.e. Virginia State Police, North & South Carolina Highway Patrols, Georgia State Patrol, etc.). I don't think it's just Florida Troopers, I think it's mostly troopers from southern states in general. I agree with one poster: Serve your badge, your community, and your family off duty as well as on duty and don't put other law enforcement officers in the position of dealing with this stuff in the first place.
I agree with your post and would have little problem busting a corrupt PO or another trooper for that matter if they even thought of tarnishing the badge. I think most of these guys are talking about infraction tickets; 10-20 over. I apply the same to them as others to keep it fair. The interaction during the stop. Did they pull over right away? Were they courteous? Etc etc. Then I look at the record and look at the history. At that point, I decide whether its a citation or a warning. If it's a citation, the next step is "full amount penalty" or "partial penalty" via speed over.. Based on what has been stated over the years about FHP, I don't think it's the entire dept, but maybe just a few hot heads out for military or police officers. Some guys have grudges for whatever reason. I know ISP doesn't tolerate that type of attitude, but some depts do.
Very well stated. It doesn't matter what troop you are assigned, the key is using some common sense. Nothing in our line of work is cut and dry. Since this topic seems to be about FHP, it may serve everyone to remember that FL has no reciprocal agreement with Indiana. Try to run a 28 on FL plates and you get limited info. Run a 27 and you get even less info. Officer safety issue? I'll pass on the FL trip, holiday world is cheaper, safer, cleaner, less crowded, and more fun for the family.