I'm a Reserve, and I have stayed out of the whole PBA/Union/Contract discussion as it's none of my business. As such, I ask that you don't label this as propaganda because that's not my intention. To be honest, I've lost track of who the good guys and bad guys are. All I know is if I see a guy with green pants and a badge, he's on my side.

Last night at our Reserve meeting one of our own, R2 Sgt. Andy (last name withheld) came to the meeting. He was retiring after almost 20 years of service due to a debilitating illness that has left him partially paralyzed. For those of you who don't know Andy, picture Hulk Hogan at the peak of his career, add about 3 inches in height and 2 inches on the biceps and that's Andy. To see him barely able to walk was a stark reminder of how fragile life can be.

Present at the meeting were Major Duncan, Captain Greco, and Sheriff Gee. They all came by to pay tribute to Andy and Sheriff Gee presented him with a plaque, an honorary badge, and a memento of their service together several years back. They were there on their own time because they wanted to honor Andy. Their attendance was a surprise, so none of us had cameras and none of the media was present. It only happened in our minds as far as public record goes, so even my cynical mind couldn't come up with an ulterior motive.

All current scandals aside, I was impressed with the Sheriff and thought his attendance spoke volumes about his character. I don't know anything about what he's like to work for full-time, but I personally have few doubts that he cares about the individual Reserve Deputies, down to the "lowest" level, and that he values the contributions that each of us make.

Having spent 20+ years in the business world, I can tell you that the Executive level is typically not stocked with charitable people that care enough about the "little people" to go out of their way to do anything for them. I'm not being cynical, I have countless examples to back my assessment up.

Having spent time on some non-profit boards, I can tell you that keeping volunteers happy can be much more difficult than keeping "regulars" happy. Volunteers can be high maintenance, insecure, moody, and with no real dog in the fight, very non-committal. They can wear your butt out in a hurry, and with no real power over them you've got to have some leadership qualities to motivate them.

I also know that the volunteers are as happy as we can be. Most of our squabbles are just internal Reserve cat fights and bruised egos. We feel appreciated, valued, and just about every reasonable request we make is granted. I know that's not all due to the Sheriff, but I do know for sure that if the head of an organization didn't feel that way, it would trickle down and become obvious fairly quickly. In the month of November alone, the Reserves volunteered almost 5,500 hours. That's pretty good for a group of roughly 100 volunteers and a pretty good indication of the health of the organization.

If you're an employee of the Sheriff, I can't speak to your complaints and will continue to mind my own business. I hope everything works out well for you and I personally appreciate all that you do.

If you're a citizen of Hillsborough County, in my opinion our Sheriff is a good man and a man of character and conviction. Momma always said "respect the position even if you don't respect the man." Like it or not, he is "our" Sheriff and his position deserves respect. Contrary to some of the scuttlebutt on this board, I believe he is a moral man and someone who cares about your safety and well being and personally deserves our respect as well. Short staffing, zone deployment, population growth, those are all valid issues but the men and women of HCSO do, and always will, manage to git 'er done. Bad guys go to jail, good guys go home, lather, rinse, repeat.

As a volunteer, Sheriff Gee is a man that I gladly donate my time to and someone whom I can relate to in regards to his convictions and beliefs. Out on the street, I don't think there is a finer group of individuals; from the newest rookie all the way up to the Sheriff.