Alcohol Enforcement Policy
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Alcohol Enforcement Policy

I understand you have been severely limited on enforcement of alcohol violations in the state parks of Florida. Please call MADD at the following number or email us at:

Florida Chapter of MADD
    1140 Capital Circle SE, Ste. 12
    Tallahassee, FL 32301
    Phone: (850) 681-0061
    FAX: (850) 681-0641
    email: kristen.allen@madd.org

It is important that the Governor's Office hears about this issue, from our organization.

Alcohol

Limited on enforcing alcohol violations…try forbidden, our hands are tied. Of course this direction will not be put in writing.

Imagine the first time someone is driving through the camp ground and strikes a young child playing near their campsite. Once the investigation is complete it is determined that alcohol and speed (Departments refuses to purchase speed enforcement equipment) were a significant contributing factor to the accident. The same two unlawful acts that law enforcement officers are highly discouraged from enforcing. I guess the State of Florida doesn’t have the money to invest in speed enforcement equipment but has no problem in signing a blank check to a family who reads this forum.

Re: Alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Limited on enforcing alcohol violations…try forbidden, our hands are tied. Of course this direction will not be put in writing.

Imagine the first time someone is driving through the camp ground and strikes a young child playing near their campsite. Once the investigation is complete it is determined that alcohol and speed (Departments refuses to purchase speed enforcement equipment) were a significant contributing factor to the accident. The same two unlawful acts that law enforcement officers are highly discouraged from enforcing. I guess the State of Florida doesn’t have the money to invest in speed enforcement equipment but has no problem in signing a blank check to a family who reads this forum.
    I work with the PEER organization, can you please eloborate on why this policy was created and the person(s) responsible for this policy? We would like to investigate this matter and we need to know where to start.

Please Call:

Florida PEER
    P.O. Box 14463
    Tallahassee, FL 32317
    phone: (850) 877-8097
    fax: (850) 942-5264
    email: flpeer@peer.org

Quote Originally Posted by PEER

I work with the PEER organization, can you please eloborate on why this policy was created and the person(s) responsible for this policy? We would like to investigate this matter and we need to know where to start.

Please Call:

Florida PEER
    P.O. Box 14463
    Tallahassee, FL 32317
    phone: (850) 877-8097
    fax: (850) 942-5264
    email: flpeer@peer.org

Any other issues we need to know about, please let us know? I would like for all of you to check out the PEER web site. If there is anything PEER can do to get your organization back on track, please send us the information. It is time DEP gets the proper leadership in place to allow officers to enforce ALL of the laws and not just a few of them.

We have excelllent radars in our cars. Are you refering to alcohol or unlawful sppeding?

There isn't a problem with radar working well or not. The point is why we are not allowed to use it in our job. Try explaining a speeding ticket on the interstate or try to explain to a person why you are not allowed to issue a citation to someone because of department policies.

Don't start with me about alcohol violations or even perhaps a DUI. I'm getting aggravated just writing about it. Train me to enforce all state laws and then insist that I only write 62D misdemeanor violations. Most county judges don't even know the 62D rules.

How about some infraction tickets? You want to see the activity go through the roof? Let me write $75.00 violation tickets instead of a $250 62D violation. Can you give someone a $250 NTA for a dog off the leash? I sure can't. But I would write a infraction for it in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Non Traffic Cop
    There isn't a problem with radar working well or not. The point is why we are not allowed to use it in our job. Try explaining a speeding ticket on the interstate or try to explain to a person why you are not allowed to issue a citation to someone because of department policies.

Don't start with me about alcohol violations or even perhaps a DUI. I'm getting aggravated just writing about it. Train me to enforce all state laws and then insist that I only write 62D misdemeanor violations. Most county judges don't even know the 62D rules.

How about some infraction tickets? You want to see the activity go through the roof? Let me write $75.00 violation tickets instead of a $250 62D violation. Can you give someone a $250 NTA for a dog off the leash? I sure can't. But I would write a infraction for it in a heartbeat.

Not sure where you work but I enforce laws on State Roads and if someone blatently does something they get a UTC no matter what road. Its got too be your District Commander

Actually this directive was given in writing in one district in bright red caps...I beleive it began with PAY ATTENTION. I'm sure a public records request could disclose this. Good luck, MADD! :|

Quote Originally Posted by beg2differ

Actually this directive was given in writing in one district in bright red caps...I beleive it began with PAY ATTENTION. I'm sure a public records request could disclose this. Good luck, MADD! :|

Sept. 29, 2006

it's in writin

I hear the pressed wood product reinstated enforcement of the 62D on alcohol IN WRITING....too bad he got the section number wrong. This from a guy who makes traffic stops and doesn't even carry a UTC book.

I'm betting the PWP has never put bracelets on someone outside of trainin (he was in the trainin section you know).

Good job MADD!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast