EVERYONE AT HCSO SHOULD READ THIS !

EVERYONE AT HCSO SHOULD READ THIS !

PREAMBLE

Has anyone been monitoring the turmoil on the TPD page of leoaffairs regarding their attempts to get some kind of plan set up for paying for health insurance coverage in retirement? It's a mess. And apparently there is also a great difference of opinion about what to do. Note also, that they are just trying to get something going for the officers - there is nothing in the works for civilians.

PROBLEM

At HCSO, and in fact throughout county government, we face a very difficult health insurance situation at retirement time. For current employees a substantial part of the health insurance "cafeteria plan" is paid for by the county. Upon retirement the employee is permitted to continue on the health plan BUT IS REQUIRED TO PAY THE ENTIRE PREMIUM with no help from the county. Currently this runs close to $900 a month. THAT really cuts a hole in your retirement pension!

Now, we DO get something from FRS - a "health insurance stipend" computed at the rate of $5 for each year of service, so a 30 year employee could receive $150 a month to help pay for health insurance. As a practical matter, few sworn employees work that long although some civilians do. Also, the county currently has a matching program although they stop their payments when the retiree reaches age 65!

But, I think that most of us would agree that even with the stipend, health insurance in retirement is indispensible and too expensive.

POSSIBILITIES

Few people are aware that there ARE alternatives available to the Sheriff's Office with regard to insurance. Although we are currently lumped in with other county employees and the COUNTY is permitted to negotiate our health insurance coverage, this is not required.

It would take great political courage, but the Sheriff could remove all HCSO employees from the county insurance pool and negotiate separate health insurance coverage.

Back during the Henderson administration the Hunt Insurance Group of Talahassee, Florida, proposed to provide BETTER health insurance coverage at a LOWER PRICE AND cover retirees at little or no cost to the retirees. Apparently the Sheriff did not have the political courage to withdraw his employees from the county system for fear of political reprecussions from the county. After all, the County Commission DOES control the Sheriff's budget. The county does NOT want the Sheriff to withdraw from their group for insurance purposes because their negotiation power is lessened when they become a much smaller group.

Who is Hunt Insurance? Hunt Insurance is a subsidiary of a major national insurance group. Hunt specializes in providing a wide variety of insurance coverage to Florida Sheriff's Offices through the Florida Sheriff's Association. They are located at 3606 Maclay Boulevard South,
    Tallahassee, FL 32312
    Phone: 850.385.3636
    Toll Free: 800.763.4868
    Fax: 850.385.2124

Take a look at their insurance information at
    http://www.hrh.com/agency/specialtyD...altyID=91&id=1

WHAT IS MY POINT?

My point is that there MAY BE better health insurance coverage available to us, and may be available to continue into retirement at low or no cost. In view of how important such coverage is and how much it is currently costing retirees, getting the information is worth the effort. It may be that things have changed since the Henderson days and the insurance coverage offered then is no longer available - but we should ask!

WHAT NEXT?

Someone should copy this post and get it into the hands of the Sheriff (perhaps on a suggestion form, inter-office mail or e-mail) and ask that the possibilities be explored.

If management has considered this and finds it impractical, they should make us aware of that.

If nothing else, someone should bring this information to the attention of the PBA so they can inquire of Hunt on behalf of the sworn members. It might be an appropriate matter for future negotiations.

Something must be done about the health insurance policy costs!

Firefighters

This subject was brought up by some employees at the last PBA meeting. If we could get the firefighters union to go in with us that would give us an even larger group.

The County has proved to us that the cost of health insurance is the only thing that matters to them. It is time to make our numbers heard and have the union work for us.

I am curious if the BOCC members and the Sheriff's staff have the same coverage we do. Does anyone know the answer to this?

With all due respect for Sheriff Henderson, he did object the change from Cigna to human and told the BOCC that he would give them 1 year to prove they should have the contract. Most found Humana to be a much better provider.

Sheriff Gee was the #2 man at the Office at the time and is fully aware of this issue. The problem is that he is not looking out after "HIS" troops, but tells them to go to the PBA and negotiate it. But then he sends in his staff to say No No No to everything that is out on the table.

The HCSO PBA is young and is now only attempting to get a second contract. In order to receive any power what so ever, the HCSO PBA needs to let the Sheriff and his staff know that they are willing and ready to go the distance. They should not be afraid to ask for mediation and/or declare an impasse. For that matter the PBA should be filing unfair labor complaints anytime someone of rank tells a member to resign from the PBA or not join. Instead of threatning to do so membership needs to file the complaints. The PBA needs to let it be know the days of old are over. After all, our current contract expires one year prior to the elections. If Sheriff Gee is to run again, which some say he will not, then he needs the support of his troops. Rumors are running rampant that there are at least 2 very good candidates thinking of running. This county has not seen a true election for the Office of Sheriff since Sheriff Beard stepped down and Sheriff Heinrich won in 1978 when there was a field of 5 running from the same party. Maybe now is a time of change, a change that could take this Office to the next level. A time of change that would make Colonel Klink pack his packs and leave, which in it self would be one huge step in the right direction.

As far as the response about the Fire Department, I do believe Hunt Insurance Group is through the FSA and the Fire Department thus would not be eligible.

Something needs to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    As far as the response about the Fire Department, I do believe Hunt Insurance Group is through the FSA and the Fire Department thus would not be eligible.
    I don't know whether or not Hunt would undertake insurance underwriting that included the Fire Department, but a telephone call could determine that. Hunt is part of Hill, Rogal and Hobbs which says on their home page: "We are Hilb Rogal & Hobbs, located in Tallahassee, Florida. We specialize in the development and administration of alternative insurance programs and services for governmental entities, associations and special risk clients.

We are committed to the highest level of fairness, honesty, and integrity. We believe these qualities, combined with creative and innovative approaches to serving our clients, are the keys to the long-term success of our client relationships, programs and of Hilb Rogal & Hobbs.

We will be flexible enough to undertake any assignment or project our clients need, yet maintain a standard of excellence which will set us apart from all others in our industry."

Hunt's major clients are members of the Florida Sheriff's Association, but I don't know if their practice is limited to only members of FSA.

A call to Hunt Vice President Richard Hunt, a former certified LEO, at 800-763-4838 could probably produce an answer.

This issue needs a discussion NOW. It is not something to put off until the next negotiations. If the situation is not improved by negotiation time, THEN it becomes a negotiation point.

Somebody address it NOW.

Sheriff?

PBA?

Somebody?

:?:

Or leadres, PBA and the Ivory Tower, do not have the guts to make the switch.

you should have joined the military..a real job with real people and real benefits.

Sick of It!

I don't know about you all, but I am sick & tired of this Admin putting up obstacles on every positive thing for the working man. This Admin has been blackballing anyone who even dares to mention the word PBA. When is enough ENOUGH>>>>>>>>>>LATER!!!

Unregistered
    I know my post is almost 13 years after the last one, but what is the current state of retirees health care costs? How much are retired deputies paying in healthcare premiums for:

A) Just themselves (1 person)?

B) Just themselves and a spouse (2 persons)?

C) A family (many persons)?

Is their somewhere online I can find current costs without calling Humana (I hate calling insurance companies)?

Also, I believe(?) those who retire with a pension would be ineligible for Medicare/Medicaid/Affordable care (Obamacare). But what about those who take a lump sum from the investment plan? If you take a lump sum in December, then from January on you will not have any pension income. Could you qualify for one of these programs in that case, with no or low money coming in? Please excuse my ignorance.

Unregistered
    $1200 a month for a family

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I know my post is almost 13 years after the last one, but what is the current state of retirees health care costs? How much are retired deputies paying in healthcare premiums for:

A) Just themselves (1 person)?

B) Just themselves and a spouse (2 persons)?

C) A family (many persons)?

Is their somewhere online I can find current costs without calling Humana (I hate calling insurance companies)?

Also, I believe(?) those who retire with a pension would be ineligible for Medicare/Medicaid/Affordable care (Obamacare). But what about those who take a lump sum from the investment plan? If you take a lump sum in December, then from January on you will not have any pension income. Could you qualify for one of these programs in that case, with no or low money coming in? Please excuse my ignorance.
    You want info but you hate calling insurance companies. Typical millennial weakling. You want your azz kissed and anyone who doesn’t kiss your azz is a bad person. Go fukc yourself. Everyone is sick of your crap.