HIRING QUESTION ????????? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Heard Tallahassee approved one for Rojas last week. Retired Miami cop and a good guy. FDLE made out with this one.

Last name Lopez by any chance?

Re: Pay

Quote Originally Posted by Old FDLE
    We are at the mercy of the legislature. We do not have a pay table as such, there is a "broad band range" tallyhassee speak for a salary range. There is at present no organized stable mechanism to get from base salary to the ever elusive TOP SALARY.

A compression raise is on the table this year in addition to a generous proposed cost of living raise.

I expect better things from our new Governor. His likes cops and received a ton of support from the PBA.
    :lol: Sure he gave us better things :lol:

Any info on when the next PAT and interviews are, I could'nt attend the last one, or if they're going to be in Miami or Jacksonville. Thanks in advance.

to one of the earlier posters, I agree about the college degree vs. the experience but remember, they are looking for either, so if you qualify in the experience realm you should not have a problem being hired. The rate of attrition may contribute to the 2 minimum quals being changed, as opposed to the old way of experience plus education. It appears the latter way was not bringing in the bodies in the volume necessary to fill the number of positions.

I don't have crim. investigative experience but I do have a college degree and I would not argue not getting hired if someone experienced in criminal investigtations was hired over me. I do consider myself intelligent and I have over 15 years of investigative experience on the civil level and would hope that would be considered.

give it a break

Why does it seem that someone with a college degree is looked down upon and presumed to have no "real life" experience?

There are many people out there with college degrees who did not come into this world with a gold spoon in their mouth. They are not the so called "spoiled brat" that a lof of people tend to think all college students are. Honestly, I dont believe that being a patrol officer is the ONLY way to become an investigator. There are so many small town patrol officers and big city officers that DO NOT work details that automatically make them a detective. Since I did grow up, went to school and have friends and family members who are criminals I can bet I am 10 times more likely to be able to identify criminal behavior better than a officer who believes you need to be in a patrol vehicle to know what criminal behavior is.

It should come down to the individual and not just ONLY a matter of college degree or police patrol experience.

College

That is the attitude that hurts you. You never worked patrol so you do not know what you would have learned. Put your time in and pay your dues like most of the other Agents did and than apply. You won't regret it.

leorecruitee, i have a college degree from the flagship university of this state. I also have 3 years patrol experience. I will be the first to validate the importance patrol experience. There are things that college just cant teach you that patrol will. Hanging out with criminals and thinking this will assist you in identifying the same is exactly what the lack of life and patrol experience will do. Pound for pound, patrol severly overshadows a college degree. I say this both as a college grad, former patrol officer and current law student.

There is no way that patrolling qualifies you as having life experience. That is really what I disagree with. Like I said in my closing statement it should not only come down to if you have a degree or if you have patrol experience. I believe is should include both as a criteria and then the individual personality. Just because you are a police officer DOES NOT automatically qualify you as having life experience. That is a terrible assumption to make that a police officer qualifies someone as a person with life experience. I have experienced things in life many many police officers will never experience from being hungry, to almost getting kicked ouf of a university because of lack of funds to pay for school, to coming to the United States with nothing more than a bag of clothes and working hard getting paid $4 an hour to where I am today making close to 6 figures.

Again my primary argument is that it should come down to both experiences and the individual and not either or. Everyone I believe deserves a fair chance. Not everyone who went to college was a spoiled brat.

I respect any and everyone who believe they may have something to contribute to law enforcement degree or no degree, patrol or no patrol. You having a degree and patrol experience much respect to you whole heartedly. I just think that people automatically assuming all college students have no life experience is just flat out delusional and ignorant.

Another thing, I am considering the sheriff dep of my county or FHP.

There are a lot of Federal investigators/special agents that have never worked as a patrol officer and are excellent investigators. If it was the case that being a patrol officer would make or break you in an investigative capacity, no doubt the Fed would require their investigators/special agents to come with prior LEO experience.

I have to agree to an extent with LEO recruitee that it is the individual's merits that they bring to the table that should be considered, not whether they have ever been a police/leo.

I also agree that patrol experience brings a different facet of experience that can absolutely benefit the SA position with FDLE. For some, perhaps spending time on the road is not an option for one reason or another and also perhaps it is not necessary for some people given their own lifes experience that they might bring to the table. An individual with a college degree doesn't mean that person is going to make it in the working world either, again, it is the individual and their experiences that they are bringing to the table that will help or defeat the person in the position. Conversely, a person with prior leo experience doesn't guarantee that they will make it as an investigator either.

My question is, are there any FDLE Special Agents that do not have prior LEO experience that are good investigators? If any of you FDLE SA's that have prior LEO experience can answer yes, then I think the debate is answered.

My .02 worth.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast