Where do you guys buy your wepons at? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Also, the policy on firearms has had some changes. 10 mm has been deleted and is no longer authorizied, and Springfield has been added as a manufacturer- mostly to accomodate the XD model. As for shooting one gun, like a 9mm in the academy, and another ,like a .45 for duty, I don't know about that. For one thing you would be looking at getting two sets of leather, since the guns are different in size and require different holsters. Also, and more importantly, that gun needs to feel like an extension of your hand. The standard frame Glock, like the 17,19,22,23- and the large frame-the 20 and 21- feel completely different, so you would have to adjust to a completely new feel after spending two weeks and a couple of thousand rounds getting comfortable witth one gun. Also, while .45 is a great caliber, a lot of people's hands don't seem to fit the big Glock that well, and as a result they are unhappy with the gun. My advice would be to find the gun you want and stick with it from the start. As for the Glocks, the only difference between the standard frame standard (17-22) and the standard frame compact (19-23) is 1/2 inch of barrel and grip length. with the compact you get two less rounds, basically. The size (circumference) of the grip is EXACTLY the same, so unless your hand is really huge and you need the extra 1/2 inch for your pinky to have a home, get the compact 19 (9mm) or 23 (.40) it is just as accurate as the standard size and as a bonus you will be able to conceal it for off-duty much more easily. While we are on the subject of off-duty (Wow, I should have started a thread just for this firearms thing!) I always like the idea of carrying the same gun on AND off duty. My thinking is this: would I really want to get into some sort of off-duty shooting situation with a lesser (caliber/capacity/sized/quality) off-duty weapon and think to myself" boy, I REALLY wish I had my duty gun right about now" ? Of course not. And neither would you, I am guessing.

Just some food for thought, hope it's helpful!

Oldschool
    Thank for the great info now that I know the academy issues 40 cal thats what I will buy for the academy. I just though if I had other then a 9 or 38 i would have to supply my own ammo. I agree the 21 is a huge grip and less rounds then the 22 . Old school a question is it hard to get into the firearms training section at CCSO? I have been shooting for 35 years I will be nra instructor traning cert. in Pistol,rifle, and shotgun

To instruct, you would have to take an 80 hour basic instructor techniques course and then a 40 hour firearms instructor course to meet the Florida Department of Law Enforcement requirements, no matter what previous training you have. Then you will be eligble to work at the range on an as-need basis.
    Right now CCSO has a number of instructors working the range like this, and so one of them would have to drop out for them to fit you in. As far as a full time range spot, those spots are full and it doesn't look like they will open up any time soon...that is one of those jobs that once people are in it they tend to stay there forever....

firearms

Just curious, how often do you have to qualify at CCSO?

Annually, on an individual basis. They don't drag everybody out on the same day- We have an intra-net based database for everybody's training and qualification and there is a list updated daily of members who are overdue for weapons qual, to include which weapon -pistol, rifle, shotgun they are due on. you can also go online at any time before you think you are due and mark the date, and arrange to qualify anytime before you appear on the overdue list. It places the responsibility on the deputy to get themselves there, but on the other hand it gives the deputy a lot of flexibilty in getting done on their own schedule. The database is pretty slick and makes it easy to arrange your training and sign up for classes. CCSO holds a lot of classes in addition to annual in-service, and all of the classes are free and fairly available to the members on a first-come first served basis. This can be a pretty big deal considering some of the classes offered- this week for instance they are running IPTM's death/ injury investigation course which if you tried to enroll in on your own would have a tuition of about $600 plus your hotel and travel to Jacksonville (about a 6 hour drive) to take the course.
    The really cool thing is that barring any major staffing issues or you being the last person on a shift asking for the time, most of the supervisors have no problem letting you go for classes- the agency encourages professional growth.
    I only mention all this because at my last agency it was like pulling teeth to get any training, and what you mostly heard was " this doesn't directly relate to your job, so we aren't going to approve you. Mostly it was about supervisors being arbitrary about who gat to go to school. Unfortunately I have heard that its that way at alot of agencies...

qualification

Thanks...Here at Miami PD we qualify annually when they schedule us ...Back in the early 80's when I came on the dept. we qualified quarterly...
    As far as going to any kind of training class, if you work in uniform patrol, good luck!
    Morale at MPD is at rock bottom, visit our site, you'll see!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12