Becoming a Dispatcher
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Becoming a Dispatcher

I am a college student interested in becoming a dispatcher for an agency in either Pasco or Hillsborough county.

Do I need to get any training before I apply?

Does anyone know of any part-time openings?

Come to TPD

We have part time and full time available. We pay more also...and we hire anyone and everyone.

Re: Come to TPD

Quote Originally Posted by tpd spatcher
    We have part time and full time available. We pay more also...and we hire anyone and everyone.
    But, if all that sounds good, now for alitle truth, becareful where you go, if its TPD, certain rules only apply to certain people on each shift, each shift has its own rules, and they all change pending on who is doing what. But don't worrk, if you kiss enough a$$, they will give you a promotion to a supervisor.. Happy picking, I would stop by the places you want to go, and take alittle tour around the buildings first, see how people are acting towards one another.. Also check to see if it looks busy or not. You can learn alot by just alittle visit.

WOW

Do I detect some hostility in your post ? You must not a member of the "Peter Pan Flight Club"

Dont be fooled by some of the disgruntled people at TPD. There are issues within our Communications Section like the rest of the agencies. TPD is a good agency to work for. The pay is good, you can work as much overtime as you can stand (not mandatory). Depending on what shift you are assigned to (yes either evenings or mids days its for the senior people), will depend on how busy you are. So consider this. You start at over $13 an hour, you have benefits (not all great, I dont think there is an insurance company that is good anymore), you become part of an extended family ( yes that is what we are) there is potential for advancement. Well I could go on and on, as you can tell I like my job. If you are looking for an Agency that has no controversary you wont find one. But if you are looking for a good job, yes TPD is one. Good luck in your search.

I Applied

I applied at TPD and have testing scheduled. What is on the test? Where is the testing?

The test the city gives is an easy test, retention, map reading skills and a simple typing test.

test worries

i heard that there is a minimum of 60 wpm on the typing portion of the test, is that true?

and is there even a point of me going through all of this if i dont know Tampa that well yet?

That is not true. The typing test requires your to type 30 WMP and you do not have to know the city to be able to read a map. Its basic map reading. North, South, East and West. The process can take a while though. But that is the city and their red tape. But yes you should apply.

Dont give up

The process is slow but its worth it. Hang in there and keep calling them.
    They are slow as snails downtown so we have to wait. Be patient and dont give up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast