October 10th, 2006 Contract Proposal - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: same old story

Quote Originally Posted by yourmomsbox
    Here we go again. Everybody talks tough, but we'll approve any contract that's put before us. "It's the best we're going to get" is a familiar mantra around here. No one will leave and everyone will continue to provide above average service for below average wages. We are running at 30% below last year's minimum staffing, you can't get a day off or any training. But keep busting your a** and show them that we don't need any more officers to do the same job we did last year.
    And your right! But you know what, they have people on the sidelines waiting to get hired... People are coming and they'll work here for peanuts. So we blew are wad on that, no leverage there! They are taking people back who failed their polys, so again we'll get the cream of the crop!!! HAHAHAHA!!!! When and if people leave here, you'll be replaced just as fast. The fact is no one has the balls to leave, so stop the complaining. Most of us cant leave for other reasons. We've been told that the good people of this city doesnt care how much other cops are getting in other cities. If your upset get off your butt and start filling out other apps at other personell departments plain and simple.....
    I'm willing to stand in the heat to protest, but its going to be put to a vote tonight to the body. and I must say we must do whats right for the many then the very few..... get it?

"The grass is greener", much like that in a cow pasture. And the City is the cows and we've been "dumped" on again. So the pasture is well fertilized and bright green.

Where is everyone that is leaving? Seems a month ago it was all the talk. There was talk of some people wanting BSO and others not.

You are right, there are people that want to be cops and work for whatever gets them in the door, but where are our applicants? Other agencies are actively campaigning to recruit officers with great offers and nice pay. So who will be the ones ending up coming here?

If we are the lowest paid, my guess is our IA will be more busy in the years to come. Statistics have already shown that with other cities that pay low and lower their hiring standards just to get officers.

I think the Mayor's comment of "it could be worse, you could work for Lauderhill" is becoming a staple with the troops. I can only imagine what other Mayors will say about Plantation now.

A Sunrise cop said the other day when I saw him on a traffic stop, "I didn't know how low you guys were paid. You guys are the new Lauderhill!" He thought it was funny, I thought it was sad and so should EVERY other person here.

STILL HIRING

DAVIE IS STILL HIRING.

Any news from the 2pm meeting today? I am very suprised that nobody has updated us. Are we losing steam? Seems like a month or two ago there was such strong talk about how united we need to be and how we need to fight for our contract. Then we hear, "it's the best we'll get" and that is below our expectations.

What happened to all the talk about the job fair? It quietly went away. All the talk about hiring the PR guy that specializes in campaigns. That quietly died out. Three weeks ago, members were saying how we'll boycott, petition, etc. Now we hear from one member of the labor board about how it won't be worth fighting them in a PR forum.

Sure hope we haven't given up or withdrawn into shells.

Is there anything else you wanted to post in a public forum for the mayor to read. Let's trust you with the nuke codes...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12