New Contract

Poll: Are you going to approve the new disability percent?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Contract

New Contract

"New Officers" leave to any other department, if you remain in Hialeah, you will never have a take-home vehicle. so leave while you can. Those of you who have more that 10 years, you are not going anywhere so stay put and admire Ofc. Juarez who got fired from our department and now has a take-home vehicle while working in sweetwater.

Is appreciated that the Honorable Mayor Robaina wants to open our contract and open the doors to negotiations. However, just leave it close if you are going to take things away. For some reason, our city administrators have this idea that all departments are equal and contract issues should be equal. They are wrong.

In any city, the firefighters and the police are the essential body of employees and followed by everyone else. With this, it is rediculous for someone to even say that the Police contract should be the same as the civilian.

Firefighters and the Police are forbidden by law to go on a strike. The civilians employees are not forbidden to strike, no doubt that if they do it they might just get fired and they should not do it, especially when there is a contract in effect. Now you can see why we are not equal, and that was just a small example.

Now think of this, currently we get 75% of our pay if we become disable while on duty. The city attorney on behalf of the mayor, wants our disability rating to be 66% instead of 75%. We cannot accept that as police officers.

If I was a paper pusher maybe I will say yes, what are the chances of getting shot while processing payroll or better yet, what are the chances of getting crash by a DUI while receiving a 911 phone call at communication.

Next time an armed robbery calls go out, we can ask the dispatcher when the bad guy is gone so we can move in; do not want to get disable if I will starve after. Rather work, make my overtime and survive.

Next time that HFD request to know if it is safe to move in, we should request to ask the civilian calling 911. What ever you do, just write your two tickets a day and answer your calls in a safe manner, don't try to be a hero, the City is showing how much they care by reducing your disability rate. And it will not help you to go to the detective section since they do not even have an oral board for those positions.

Guys and girls, we need to unite as one and show them that we care and that indeed we are different. At a minimum, we deserve a little more money so we do not have to work overtime, our disability should remain the same if not increase it.

You want take-home vehicles, go and apply at another department, it is against the Mayor's philosophy; it is not even a business decision, which tells me that they have the money. Our PBA representative should do their job right and keep us inform more often, they should not take matters into their own hands.

We want more money at least to bring us at the same level as other neighboring departments like MDPD. If no money in liquid cash, then a take-home will compensate for that but is agaisnt his philosophy. It was proven that a take-home vehicle, if we change the oil every other month, will save the City a lot of money. Leave the disability alone. More hazard pay for us, maybe special pay for FTO's,SWAT, and a special pay for patrol officer of 10% so we can get those lazy experienced detectives back in patrol and share their knowledge with the future of the department, the rookies.

For some reason, patrol is treated like the trash but if you really think about it, the uniformed division is the most highly visible out of the rest, should we be happy?

:x

HPD09-39 YOUR COMMENT IS EXTREMELY ACCURATE. ALL OTHER CITIES AROUND US INCLUDING NORTH MIAMI, SWEETWATER, AND EVEN NORTH MIAMI BEACH HAVE TAKE HOME VEHICLES. How is it the one of the biggest cities in Florida(Hialeah) cannot have take home vehicles. We dont even have equipment.I am not writing 2 tickets a day anymore. What are they going to do write me up? I am tired of all the BS that goes on. We (Officers) work hard to maintain order in our city. When the Hurricane (Wilma) came through we were the ones out there directing traffic, maintaining order, etc. Our union needs to step it up!!!!!! And we as OFFICERS need to stick together .We want take home vehicles, shift differential,raise hazard pay, and merit step @ 10 years. My name is PETER DOYLE and I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE!

GUYS WE CANT VOTE FOR YOU BUT IF WE CAN HELP APPLY POLITICAL PRESSURE,THATS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKS,HOLLER!!!
    EMAIL LEO TAPANES AND IF YOU HAVE AN FOP,LETS UNITE OUR RESOURCES..
    ITS LUDICROUS THAT U GUYS DONT HAVE TAKE HOME CARS.. WE SPENT THOUSANDS ON STUDIES WHICH PROVE ITS EFFECTIVENESS.. GET WITH US..
    MPD THAT SUPPORTS YOU GUYS

QUE PASA HIALEAH????

Just wanted to send a shout out to Hialeah PD from across Biscayne Bay. Miami Beach PD has become Hialeah East. Maybe the Mayor will annex Miami Beach next and then you guys will get take-home cars? no? oh well. I guess you guys will just have to keep on sending applications. And to the Hialeah administration...Thanks for the training you are giving to all of our new officers. It has saved us so much money that we can afford to pay them a real salary and give them a car and the equipment they need to do the job. Oh well, gotta go back to bikini watching on my $30/hr 59, see ya.

MBPD and lovin' it

Contract

I believe we deserve equal pay for equal work at least with Sweetwater, since every other City is out of our reach. The take home car issue is huge. It is a benefit enjoyed by every single other major police department in South Florida. Whatever we get this contract we are not in a position to give anythign away and that is my Philosophy!!!

Also, we can not have the same disability as a civilian secretary that comes to work at the records section evryday. Seriously how can someone put a high hazard position like police officers in that category!!!

As far as sticking together good luck. This contract is devisive. SWAT wants thier 5%, so does K-9, and FTO's. They most certainly deserve it. However, the patrol officers deserves a take home vehicle first!!!!

Here is some advice guys. I used to work for Hallandale Beach PD. They had no take-homes until after I left the city. They now have them. The reason being that Take-home cars actually save the city money. This is how you need to present this. Get the studies that have been done over and over that show that long-term costs to the city are actually LOWER when a take-home program exists. Then there needs to be a phase-in period. You cant just buy 500 cars in one year, because then you have to replace 500 at a time. The way Miami Beach did it was that the cars were paid for by Law Enforcement Trust Fund money for the initial purchase of every vehicle over a 5 year phase-in. When it's time to replace a vehicle (by either mileage or age), the city purchases the replacement car and sells the old car at auction. LETF funds are only used to purchase the first car for each person, the city takes over after that, paying for each replacement.

I will tell you this. If you do get take-home cars its going to really change the culture at your department. If you like to hang out with your squad after work and have a few beers, that is OVER. I have a take-home and I probably wouldn't give it up, but I do remember with great fondness the days where the entire SHIFT would go out together after work. That does not happen any more. All I'm saying is be careful what you wish for, there are two sides to every coin. Good luck.

PS sorry about that last idiot from Miami Beach who posted on this thread. We are not all like that.

MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS,
    THE LAST POST IS 100% CORRECT!! I POSTED SOMETHING TO THAT EFFECT BEFORE AND ILL SAY IT AGAIN" CALL OUR FOP,305-854-5019"
    MIAMI PD HAS DONE ALL THE NECCESSARY STUDIES WHICH HAVE PROVEN THAT A TAKE HOME CAR SAVES THE CITY BIG MONEY!!!!!!!!
    IN DOES REQUIRE A PHASE IN PERIOD BUT IT SAVES THE CITY BIG MONEY AND THAT WILL MAKE MR. ROBAINA REALLY HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!
    INREGARDS TO YOUR CONTRACT,DONT FIGHT OVER BENEFITS THAT SOME WILL GET AND OTHERS WONT! ANY BENEFIT IS A WIN AND AS LONG AS THEY DONT SELL OUT,SUPPORT YOUR BARGAINING UNIT!!
    AT MPD THE FOLLOWING GET EXTRA MONEY AND I DONT: SWAT,FTO,CIT,DRE, AND NUMEROUS OTHER ACRONYMS,I DONT CARE,GOOD FOR MY FRIENDS. IF U WANT EXTRA,THEN APPLY FOR THESE POSITIONS!!!!
    THE ONLY EXTRA I GET IS THE SENIOR OFC. PAY WHICH ALL PATROLMEN RECEIVE IF IN PATROL AND MORE THAN 15YRS. ON AND OF COURSE MY TAKE HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    IVE BEEN HERE FOR MORE THAN 25YRS AND THE TAKE HOME IS A GREAT THING,ESPECIALLY WHEN U BUY THE SUN PASS AND THE CITY PAYS THE TOLLS. MAKES GOING ON EXPRESSWAY A LOT EASIER,FASTER.
    THE PREVIOUS POST WAS ALSO RIGHT ON THE 35ING SCENARIO. ITS A LOT HARDER ONCE U HAVE THAT CAR BUT ITS WORTH IT!!
    GOOD LUCK AND BEST WISHES.
    WE WILL BE FIGHTING FOR OUR OWN CONTRACT,TRYING TO TAKE OUR PENSIONS,ON THE 28TH OF THIS MONTH!
    IF MIKE PEREZ,HIALEAH,25YRS, STILL WORKS THERE, TELL HIM AN OLD FRIEND SAYS HI AND GOD SPEED. HOPE HIS FAMILY IS WELL!!!

Economis

The take home vehicle issue is probably the single most important issue facing HPD today. The department is over 60% under 7 years. This means that most young officers see thier buddies from other departments with their take home vehicles. I will give you an example. The other day there was a police vehicle blocking traffic at 0300 hrs in the morning. I came up to that unit and asked him why he did not have his over head lights on? I told him it was dangerous because a 16 or any other driver not paying attention might rear-end him. The officer replied that if he turned on his over heads his vehicle would die!!!!! The problem is that is not an isolated incident. That officer was driving a 9 plus year old vehicle with over 90,000 miles!!! But not just that, that vehicle has been used by so many people at different times that no one took care of it and it shows!!!

As far as economic we have attempted to show the mayor that take home vehicle are economically better for the city in the long run. However, his response was that his was "Philosophically" against take home vehicles. Please tell me how you fight a philosophy? It is not a matter of money or anything else. It is a simple matter that in third world countries the police are mostly seeing as oppressive "Bad" guys and you wants them to have benefits. Hialeah has a third world mentality, as asd as that is. Not everyone of course and I think that things are slowly starting to change. I also believe this new mayor will be better for the city and the police than the old one. I just hope he can turn the department around before we sink any deeper. It is sad when you go to a radar class for example and you feel ashamed of your department. May all of the sheep die a peaceful death and may the Warriors die in battle with a blade in thier hand!

IF THIS MAYOR IS BETTER THAN DICTATOR MARTINEZ, THEN WHATS HIS PROBLEM WITH PROGRESS???
    USTEDES ESTAN PERDIDO SI EL IDIOTA ESTE HAS PHILOSOPHICAL ISSUES WITH OFFICER SAFETY!! THATS WHAT THE TAKE HOME CAR IS ALL ABOUT!
    9 YEAR POLICE CAR?????? R U SHIT...G ME?? THATS A TIME BOMB!!! WE HAD OFC. HERRING DIE IN A CAR LIKE THAT AND WE HAD TO SUE TILL THE CITY SAW THE LIGHT! NOW THE CITY LOVES TAKE HOME CARS CAUSE IT SAVES BIG MONEY AN OUR CARS ARE WELL KEPT!!
    WOW,QUE TIPO MAS ESTUPIDO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GOOD LUCK WITH A CLOSE MINDED IDIOT LIKE THAT!

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Here is some advice guys. I used to work for Hallandale Beach PD. They had no take-homes until after I left the city. They now have them. The reason being that Take-home cars actually save the city money. This is how you need to present this. Get the studies that have been done over and over that show that long-term costs to the city are actually LOWER when a take-home program exists. Then there needs to be a phase-in period. You cant just buy 500 cars in one year, because then you have to replace 500 at a time. The way Miami Beach did it was that the cars were paid for by Law Enforcement Trust Fund money for the initial purchase of every vehicle over a 5 year phase-in. When it's time to replace a vehicle (by either mileage or age), the city purchases the replacement car and sells the old car at auction. LETF funds are only used to purchase the first car for each person, the city takes over after that, paying for each replacement.

He is right about wishing and getting. Every dirt bag for blocks who didn't know a cop lives there, now does. Ask K-9 guys if there windsheilds have had cement blocks thrown thru them And just a very short time ago, a city of miami cop had a cement block thrown thru his front window of his home, the shattering glass covering his new born on the carpet, he had just been playing with the kid. Don't tell wives about this fact with take home cars. you might get them.

I will tell you this. If you do get take-home cars its going to really change the culture at your department. If you like to hang out with your squad after work and have a few beers, that is OVER. I have a take-home and I probably wouldn't give it up, but I do remember with great fondness the days where the entire SHIFT would go out together after work. That does not happen any more. All I'm saying is be careful what you wish for, there are two sides to every coin. Good luck.

PS sorry about that last idiot from Miami Beach who posted on this thread. We are not all like that.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast