12 hour shifts - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 12 hour shifts

12 hour shifts are too long for those that have moved out of county and really do mess with child care. It's easy to think about the time off that 12's create, but I think there are plenty of negatives also.

Vote: yes

I'm up 4 it!!! Child care may be difficult, but anything can be worked out....

Let's do it... we can try it for a year. If it doesn't work we go back. One of the counties (Pasco or Hills, I think), tried it for 12 months. Everyone (especially the old dudes) fought tooth and nail at the beginning. After the "trial period," they all threatened to quit if the 12 hour shifts were taken away. Anyone I've ever spoken to who works 12's loves it.

It's only twelve months. Let's give it a shot.

I've got an even better idea though - let's do 24 hour shifts like FD. We can get some recliners, big screen tv's, sleep between calls, play PS2 all day! Then we only have to work two days a week. ARRRRGGGGG!!!! I chose the wrong side of the business! (Just kidding... I don't want our hose pulling brothers and sisters to get mad at me. I'm only jealous. )

12 hour shifts

THe place I currently work has 12 hour shifts. I thought I would hate it but I've really grown to like them. It works on a 2 week cycle - week 1 you work mon/tues, off wed/thurs, work fri/sat sun...week 2 you work only wed/thurs and are off mon/tues and fri/sat/sun. In a 28 day cycle you work only 14 days..as opposed to 20 days uinder a 5/8 plan. You also get a 3 day weekend every other week and can take a week off and only burn 24 hours as opposed to 40. True, there are 12 hour days that seem to go on forever, but the time off is great. Additionally, your entire squad is off the same days so squad get-togethers are easier to arrange. You'll also have more people on the road at any given time and that should ease manpower...oh, crap, politically incorrect word!!!...I meant staffing concerns.

Rain

Unless one of you is Command Staff Incognito, this is just another exercise in the impotent electronic democracy.

hey guys, just a note from someone who is working 12 hr shifts right now for another agency. It's actually great! every other weekend is a three day off weekend. Child care isn't too tough if you can find one that will work with your schedule. When I started at my agency, we were working 10's (four on three off.). It was tough because by the third day :-( we were wore out. Good luck on getting 12's. Trust me, you guys will love it!! P.S. What is your starting pay?

Pay

We start at like 39,000. We will get another 4.5 % in October. Not too bad for an agency our size. Heard rumors of an expanded take-home car program next contract. We'll see though.

I don't know about 12's. I am on 10's right now and by the end of shift...I am ready to go home.

Thanks bruce. Looks like most of us are getting some kind of raise in Oct. I think ours is 4% plus another 4% for our merit (evaluation) raise. We start at 32,000 now. Thanks again for the info. Be safe out there.

How about this: 11.5 hour shifts with four days on and four days off, rotating just like Tampa PD. I don't know about you, but four days off is like a vacation. Just an idea.

wow. that'd almost work. hmmm think i'll run it by OUR scheduling sgt. thanks for the idea

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast