12 hour shifts - Page 10
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: 12 hour shifts

4 on and 4 off

Quote Originally Posted by Family Guy
    To the knucklehead who said 12 hour shifts are better for everyone, including the department...

You obviously have no family, dude/dudette. If you do have a family, then you don't give a rat's butthole about not seeing them for four days at a time. This job takes a large enough toll on one's personal life, there's no need to add the stress of being gone for four days at a time. If you are who I think you are, wait until you have kids. Then see how much your spouse enjoys taking care of your kids without seeing you for four straight days. With 12 hour shifts, your spouse is in essence a single parent for half of the week. I promise, you will not have the energy for a one year old when you get home after being gone for 14 hours (don't forget to add commute time, gearing up, and readoff to your 12 hour day). Your marriage will last long enough for your kid to hit kindergarten, then you can be a single daddy/mommy and work whatever shift you want.

And don't be such a jackarse about the overtime issue. Do the f-ing math. You work for 16 hours (which is really 18 by the time you're done) then go home, sleep for four, then get up and work another 12 hour shift. That's some outstanding officer safety right there. You'll really be alert and on your toes. As someone else pointed out, working overtime on your day off means it's not really a day off. My guess is, YOU don't HAVE to work overtime. Well the rest of us do. Most of us are struggling to keep up with the rising cost of living in this county. So we don't work overtime when we feel like buying a big screen tv... we work overtime to survive. Unless you are a complete fool, there's no way you can say that 12 hour shifts are not going to impact the lives of the people who have to work a significant amount of overtime just to survive.

Try and remember this everyone - this is a job. Call it a career if you want. Take pride in what you do, do a good job, and serve your community with honor. But always remember, this job is not what ultimately matters in your life. You know what ultimately matters? Family and friends. Because I have news for you: if you develop cancer tomorrow, the City of Largo will not give two turds. They will hire someone to replace you and your ID number will fade into memory two weeks after you leave. An email will be sent out providing the details of your funeral date. That's all. It will be your wife or husband, your kids, and your closest friends who stand by your side when LIFE hits the fan. If you spend the next 20 years of that life putting your job before them, they may not be there at the end.

Be safe.
    We have been on this schedule for almost eight years. At first there some scheduling issues, however, with this schedule you can plan your year in advance. TPD off duty can be scheduled way in advance do to this schedule. Since our units have take home vehicles and computers we only have roll call twice a week, we report to our zone and go to work. You just have to have the overlap shifts in place to help with the transition of squads ending their day. Who cares about the weekends when you have four days off. Just a thought....Stay Safe.

family first

I just want to say that family should always be first. Don't ever put anything including a job over family. I've made that mistake, (the old school). If you really love your spouse, as I do, don't screw it up by working your life away. I LOVE MY WIFE SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just the opinion of an old man. And yes I work with you. Take care and enjoy your life and keep your family first always.

12 Hour Shifts

You're still not on 12's? Most agencies are on a 11.5, 12, 10 shift. You guys are still living in the dark ages when it comes to shifts. You've been moaning and groaning about it for years. Time to look elsewhere

Shut your hole and quit starting problems

careful guys

I have been doing this a long time. Be careful what you want without maing sure all the bases have been covered. I have worked the 12's, and they are sweet as your night is a little longer, but then they go quick if you are busy.

In the oposiye corner though, like several larger agencies guys have discovered, until your CONTRACT is renegotiated you will take more time off just to hit that "11 day weekend" someone commented about. YOu would then have to tahe 1.5 days to be off 1 day. The brothers and sisters in blue at many places did not plan, and their contracts kept holiday and other time-related categories in an 8-hour earning rate. GET WHAT YOU BURN, meaning a holiday, comp or whatever is categorized at the 12 hor increment and not the 8 hour and you will then be content

maybe, possibly, hopefully, ah hell, some will enjoy and others dislike...always been the way, always will be

watch yur backs and take care

v-man1

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910