Retired PO Moving to FLa - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks

Thanks to all for the info

Re: Retired PO Moving to FLa

Quote Originally Posted by Det. Ret.
    I am a retired NYPD Det. and will be moving to Fla shortly. I have a NY full carry Permit.

Are there any agencies or private vendors that will offer HR218 certification for retired out of state officer who now reside in Fla.

I have been told that NYPD does not provide their retirees with ID cards attesting to their retirement. Is this true? If so you will not be able to comply with the provisions of HR-218, which require both a retired ID card and a certification of firearms qualification to the standard of active officers in the state where you reside.

If it isn't true and you have the ID card, just go to the Jr. College at the link you've already been given and get the firearms qualification. Then you should be covered by HR-218.

I strongly suggest that you do what I have done and ALSO get a Florida resident concealed weapons license. Counting Florida, it is valid in 30 states. Of course, New York (and most of New England) is not a reciprocity state.

--------------------

On another subject: The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office in Tampa operates one of the largest jail systems in the state. They are very shorthanded for Detention Deputies, which is a separate certification from Law Enforcement Deputy.

They are so shorthanded that they often hire people and then carry them on the payroll while they go through the Detention Academy, which they also pay for.

It is a very different job from a Law Enforcement position, but does carry the high risk retirement.

The chances of being hired immediately are quite high as a Detention Deputy. They are somewhere between low and quite low as a Law Enforcement Officer.

Good luck.

HCSO

I forgot to post the link to HCSO.

It is http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12