Stop Embarrassing the PPD - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

That's insane. My teenager works at a grocery store and makes $7.50 an hour after working part-time for two summers.

No wonder officers are discouraged.

It's not about money, going into law enforcement is a calling. just like teaching so quit whining and do a good job for the citizens who pay your salary with the money they pay in taxes from jobs hey might not be thrilled about either.

I don't need you to tell me the reasons people go into law enforcement. I went into it for the same reasons, and did without alot of things for my kids that I couldn't afford. Luckily, I didn't have to resort to food stamps as I understand some LEOs are having to do now to support their families.

No whine about it...LEOs are underpaid for what they have to deal with and are expected to do every day.

And yeah...when a teenager working in a grocery store part-time makes not much less than someone entrusted to protect citizens and endanger their own lives, there's something terribly wrong.

It it the fault of the Commissioners? The fault of admin hiring cronnies and paying outrageous salaries? Or all of the above? Whatever the reasons, its wrong.

No one expected to get rich doing this job, but we do expect to live comfortably and support our families without having to work an extra gig every RDO to feed our kids.

Teachers have been underpaid for years, but a few years ago their union fought and they've been awarded nice raises when we went without raises for several years. Or when we did get a raise they also raised our insurance premiums which ate whatever raise we got. Hell, one year I brought home less after my raise because insurance went up and so did my tax bracket.

I didn't do it for the money, but I'd sure like to see the kids working now make more and not have to struggle like some of us did. If we ever expect to retain professionals in this area we better start paying them what they're worth instead of being a training unit for other agencies.

It's so great to hear some reasonable voices on this site for a change. I'm so damned tired of the whinners and the negativity that they spew! They chose the career. If it's not what they want, they can either make it what they want by trying to make things better or they can leave. The money is definitely a big issue. It's true that LEO's don't get the pay that they deserve. The truth is, they probably never will. Each one has to decide for themselves if it is worth it to them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234