Pride in the dark gray side

Pride in the dark gray side

I have only been with CCSO for a short time but everything I have seen to date has impressed me favorably. I worked for 2 other FL departments before CCSO, in investigations, patrol and as a supervisor, and I can truly say that we are the best- in training, in equipment, in the caliber of deputies we have, and yes, in the leadership of the agency as well. We are treated and paid like professionals. As such, we are expected to ACT like professionals- and we usually do. When we don't, we are dealt with on an individual basis. If we are honest, and the offense is not too horrible, we get punished, but still keep our jobs. (just look at the two deputies who got DUIs within the last couple of years)-they are still deputies) They pay us well, whether we wish to believe it or not... I know of departments in our half of the state who get either No raise, or a 1-2% cola, and no merit or step raise AT ALL- No, we still don't get paid enough, but who in this business does? I know that when you are in a place for a while, its hard not to lose your perspective on the forest because all you see are the trees. I also know that our agency is not perfect- But coming from the outside, CCSO is IT. I personally know dozens of cops who would give anything to be CCSO members. I know this because they are always asking me for applications! They call it "going to the dark gray side" and they speak of it like little leaguers talking about going to play for a major league team. They, and most other agencies, see us as the BEST. That impression comes from many things- the Sheriff's PR machine, the LEO grapevine, sites like this one... but mostly it comes from US.
    So be thankful for what we have- because we have it pretty good, and take pride in wearing that gray uniform- you earned it!

I like what you are saying. However, I checked a few Real Estate websites, and the price of housing is so much higher than where I live in Charlotte County. How can anyone move to your area, work for around $38,000 a year, and afford to buy a house? Is there a nearby area that is more affordable?

You are right about the real estate situation in Collier. For reasons that escape everyone, the land here is impossibly overvalued and most deputies have trouble buying a home here. as a result. many end up purchasing in neighboring Lee County- mostly, it seems in the Lehigh Acres area. A large majority rent in Collier. The agency is aware of the situation and is apparently taking steps (or so I have heard) to help with this. I have heard talk of county-assisted mortgages, discounts and even some sort of law enforcement/fire housing units (copland, anyone? ) I don't know how much any or all of these things will help, but at least they are trying. Addtionally, to stay competitive, any time another agency nearby gets close to our salary range, it seems like we get an increase- that has to be a good thing.
    As for only making $38,000 , I guess thats all you would make if you never did one extra minute of time your first year here, but every deputy I know is making WAY more than that, with all the OT and details, and the really motivated folks are pulling down some serious money- 70+ ....and that's as a deputy!
    So, once again, while it is not perfect, it is defintely 2 or 3 cuts above everywhere else...and it just seems to moving forward in a positive way. Most agency members use the word "family" to describe the agency. We have our little family squabbles, yes, but on the whole, everybody is on the same page from the top down about most things, and you will never see a more mission-oriented group of people in this profession.

Well said "Old School". I agree with you 100%. Anyone who has ever worked at another agency will immediatley see the value of this agency. Those that talk crap are newbies or those who would complain if you gave them a $1.00 raise, because it was not $1.01! They complain about anything and do.

I call these guys and gals "ROD's" (Retired On Duty) collecting a second check after already retiring once. They have nothing to lose and stir the pot because they can. If they really cared about their fellow worker, they would appreciate the fact that they still have the ability AND opportunity to do this job and quit trying to make the rest of us feel like we have it so bad. I do not know about anyone else but when it gets that bad around here, I will NOT need someone to tell me that it is bad and I WILL move on to greener pastures!

Any way "OLD SCHOOL" thanks for posting your thoughts. I was starting to wonder if anyone would start using this forum to discuss matters. I truly hope this is the begining so help spread the word about this site.

Cheers